• Published 8th Nov 2019
  • 880 Views, 27 Comments

Diamond Tiara saves Scootaloo's Life - lytlethelemur



Disaster at a class field trip links Scootaloo and Diamond Tiara into a tentative friendship.

  • ...
2
 27
 880

Chapter 12 _Code Pink

“I don’t like what happened back there.” calming explained Diamond Tiara as she relaxed her hug, “while you didn’t listen to me Scootaloo, I didn’t listen to you either.”

Scootaloo perked up. Diamond Tiara sighed, looked her friend in the eye,

“ You were right about Feather Bangs…” she gave her a small smile.

But just as Scootaloo was beginning to feel better, a boyish chuckle broke the stillness. A luscious, frosty mane was flicked. A nightmare had returned.

“Girls, you don’t need to run and hide from me…” Feather Bangs snickered, his teeth gleaning. Apparently after falling off the service cart, he was rushed to costume and make up. There Feather Bangs was fitted with a black and yellow, criss-crossed striped tuxedo, complete with a top hat with two puffy, faux antenna that wiggled on spring coils. Two flamboyant, fabric wings were attached to the tuxedo's shoulder pads that wisped back and waved in the wind, well past his tail which had been painstakingly plastered, woven, and molded by hair pomade into a stinger.

Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon were duly horrified and impressed, mouths agape their eyes darting between them saying, ‘Blast that Feather Bangs, but you have to admire how quick his wardrobe department is!’

Scootaloo struggled to her hooves, baring teeth she could feel the heat of the lights against her coat, causing her to perspire, the sandwich on her chest was beginning to toast. She was sorry for a lot of things that night but she would do it all again to defy Feather Bangs.

“Now I’m gonna make a beeline to the stage”, Feather Bangs chuckled at his own joke, “ and I need a little ‘pick me up’ before I go, you understand right?”

The fillies began to back up as he approached.

“Stop right there!” ,panted Sven Gallop, who was clearly out breath and out of shape from climbing so many stairways to flank the fillies with security in tow.

“Don’t , huff, think your getting, huff, away from me so easily. That service cart,huff, was, huff, a rental!”, Sven Gallop struggled between breaths, he was mostly flustered that a trio of fillies had gotten the better of him.

“Now come with us to be escorted off the premises and please provide the contact information of your parents or legal guardians,” said Solar Shields, this was more his style. Behind his sunglasses he glared at Sven, who was leaning on his shoulder, panting loudly.

‘We wouldn’t be in this mess, Sven if you’d approved those non-slip horseshoes for the budget like we asked you to do, repeatedly!’ , he thought.

“Gahh…” moaned Diamond Tiara clearly through with tonight’s events.

With a flick of her bouncy, lavender and white mane that was almost too quick to register, a tiny writing pen and check wafted down to the catwalk at her hooves. How Diamond Tiara kept checks and writing implements in her mane was a question that was never considered, given the present situation. With an indignant but adorable little huff, she quickly began to write her check, pen in her mouth wiggling furiously on the paper. All the while Silver Spoon and Scootaloo moved closer together as the adults began to close in on them from both ends of the narrow gangway. Diamond Tiara remained cool and collected, taking in one matter at time, not letting the situation overwhelm her. Just as her father had taught her. She did however lose her cool just bit by spitting out her pen just to show everypony her disgust. Scootaloo, at a loss for what to do next, reluctantly shifted her gaze to Diamond Tiara from a drooling Feather Bangs. Who only paused to shake his mane from his eyes.

Scootaloo never thought she was about to ask Diamond Tiara ‘What do we do now?’ but before she could utter those words she paused.

‘Is she doing origami?’,puzzled Scootaloo in her own head.

Sure enough; cursing under her breath, Diamond Tiara’s little pink hooves were a flurry of activity folding the paper check into a shuriken. Diamond Tiara finished quickly, she stood on her hind legs and flung the shuriken with her mouth.

Finishing with defiant little rear she proclaimed, “You happy now?! That should cover the overpriced dining cart, cleaning, and the snacks! Now call off your dim-witted, avaricious, sandwich-crazed, pop star!”

The Shuriken check abruptly stuck itself into Sven gallops pink pompadour, startling Solar Shields so much his sunglasses jump from the bridge of his muzzle. Sven Gallop was aghast and cross-eyed staring at his giggling mane-do with the check bobbing up and down with the momentum of the impact. Miss Cheerilee’s foreign cultures class had paid off in every sense of the word.

‘Awesome!’ thought Scootaloo, Silver Spoon gave a little approving grin as if to say ’Yep, that’s my best friend.’

However Solar Shields was not to be dissuaded in his security mission, he no doubt would be talking about this night over bottles of cider for years to come, he was a stallion that feared no art projects. He stepped forward, causing Sven Gallop to fall backward, that felt good.

“Now calm down young filly, and lay down your checkbook, and allow me to escort you all…”

“FEATHER BANGS!!!!!!”, a shrill, cider laced, high pitch voice slurred from up high.

Scootaloo’s eyes widened her spirits rode high once more and a pink angel appeared overhead. She piloted a bicycle powered gyrocopter, assembled from wicker baskets and painstakingly crafted, oversized candy canes. The candy canes constituted the rotor assembly and the landing skids, grayed with age, debris, and what looked to be bite marks. The flying machine trailed a banner with carnival styled serif font reading ’Visit Sugar Cube Corner: try our new Cheese Puffs!’

“Pinkie Pie?”, said Silver Spoon oblivious that this was not the weirdest escapade pulled off by the undisputed princess of parties, who was actually on the job for Mr. Cake.

“OOHH OHH OHHH Feather Baaugghhrrrhngs!” belched Pinkie, “ Oh excuse me! Please, please,pretty, pretty, pretty please, sign my bag of cheese puffs!”

She exclaimed with a manic ear to ear grin, a burlap sack of cheese puffs held in her tail, and black marker emerging from the folds of her springy, cotton candy-like mane. Peddling her way closer candy cane skids, nudged, bumped and shaved into the curtain railing rocking the gangway. Small shards of peppermint tumbled down the quaking curtain. Some of the crowd cheered thinking that this was part of Feather Bangs opening act. Twilight Sparkle would not be happy, Pinkie Pie was worse with her beverage consumption than Rainbow Dash.

Feather Bangs was thoroughly surprised by all this, his precious attention captured by an airborne fan, he did manage to flick his bangs one more time if only to refocus.

Scootaloo saw her one and only chance… ,“Pinkie Pie! Get us out of here!”

“Scootaloo?!, You’re here too? Sure thing, help yourself to some cheesy puffs” said Pinkie just before flinging her freakishly long tongue like a frog to one of the open baskets of cheese puffs helping herself to half a dozen fluorescent orange snacks. Diamond Tiara rolled her eyes,

“ Beggars can’t be choosers”, she dryly stated.

Surprisingly Silver Spoon, having enough of this adventure, was in a blink of an eye already scaling onto Pinkie’s gyrocopter. Sure enough the other fillies were scrabbling right behind her while the adults were suddenly confronted with a Pinkie Pie encounter.

“Code Pink! Code Pink! I need backup! I have a Code Pink and she’s airborne!” frantically yelled Solar Shields into his earpiece.

Security and Sven Gallop were completely blind sided by this turn of events, complicated by the fact that a few in the security detail tried to take flight at just the sight of Pinkie Pie, a well known harbinger of shenanigans.

“Not her again! The show starts in less than five minutes!” moaned Sven Gallop as he pitifully tried to pine for the check caught in his mane, it was stubbornly just out of reach and he was afraid he would have to find his hair dresser to remove it. Those brutes in security would just yank it out, he was certain of that.

The fillies were just about loaded on the gyrocopter, which required a small leap to reach it. Scootaloo was the last filly to egress, exhausted from escaping she was on her haunches the entire time she was on the gangway. Her hind legs cursed her with aches and sore joints with even the slightest movement. She gathered all her strength and leaped over the railing and curtain assembly. The hot lights illuminating her from below for dramatic effect, she could feel the cheese of her sandwich bubbling. Diamond Tiara’s dress and mane was wafting in her face, it would be a tight fit on Pinkie’s Gyrocopter,the only way out. In her escape Silver Spoon had already situated herself behind Pinkie as best she could. Pinkie Pie was genuinely caught off guard by this bespectacled, pig-tailed filly climbing over her to get away from Feather Bangs.

“Golly, you guys are in a real hurry, scurry! Do you want cheese puffs that bad? OOhh! Cause if you do Mr. Cake is gonna be so thrilled…” , giggled Pinkie.

“Pinkie, we need to get away from Feather Bangs, get closer if you can!” Diamond Tiara cut her off.

She landed on the candy cane skid, its stickiness offering a disgusting but easy landing for filly hooves. Diamond Tiara had a visible face of disgust, she would be complaining about this feat for the remainder of the school year.

Diamond Tiara’s tail whipping in her face, aching legs, and a tight landing were not about to dissuade Scootaloo. Clunk! She just barely made the candy cane skid, hanging on by her front hooves only. Worse still she felt a horrible jerk from below at her sandwich which caused one of her hooves to come unstuck, spaying tiny fragments of peppermint, bringing a pleasant smell to the harrowing endeavor. Right below her was Feather Bangs who had made a great leap and clenched the bottom crust of the sandwich pulling it only partially free from Scootaloo. It was a precarious situation even for the most experienced pilots with a full payload of cheese puffs and scrabbling fillies on board. Pinkie Pie struggled to keep the craft steady, as a result she was forced to fly higher and bank over the curtains. Not good.

“Sheesh, this autograph is getting to be more than I bargained for,” she said aloud and between strained breaths.

She was over compensating the lift to account for the increased weight of the sudden influx of passengers. Feather Bangs hung from the sagging sandwich finally secured in his maul, a viscosus and malleable bridge of cheese tethered the ponies together. He dangled and rotated in the air below Scootaloo. It didn’t help that he kept flicking his bangs despite the tenuous situation.

“Ahhh just go away already!” yelled Scootallo with a look at Feather Bangs that could kill.

Featherbangs only replied with an indiscernible mumble, but it sounded like he was completely content with his favorite, though hideously misshapen, sandwich. Possible remarking on how good it tasted, as he precariously corkscrewed with his brilliant costume wings propelling him around, making the flying craft dangerously unstable with every turn.

‘Curse that Feather Bangs, he fouled up everything from music to stable flight’ , Scootaloo’s blood boiled at the sight.

Pinkie strained to keep the craft stable, her pedaling became labored, the gyrocopter was gradually going into a tailspin. Sweat poured down from her brow as she fought to keep from crashing.

“Must ,huff… Stay, huff… steady,huff” said Pinking gritting her teeth with a look of focus in her expression that bordered on mental instability.

The marker in her mane began work its way out by her one manic will. “Must get… autograph,huff... before we go down… huff!”

“ NO! Focus Pinkie Pie!” Silver Spoon leaped to the pilot seat with her monogrammed handkerchief in hand blotting Pinkie’s forehead. She nonchalantly tucked the marker back into Pinkie Pie’s enigmatic mane.

“We’re in trouble, we need to leave this concert as soon as possible!” reasoned Silver Spoon, as she feed Pinkie a cheese puff.

“Mmmhh, oh baby that’s the spot,” Pinkie licked her lips her spirit returning “keep ‘em coming!”

Fortunately for Silver Spoon, a large lollipop tucked beneath the pilot’s seat made for a convenient shovel for cheese puffs. Silver Spoon proceeded to feed pinkie much like a steam locomotive fireman shoveling coal into a boiler. She looked over her shoulder, at Diamond Tiara still on the skid reluctant to move due to the sudden jarring ride of the craft. Her braided mane waved in the wind, her face smeared with cheese dust as she shoveled, Silver Spoon only nodded to her friend. The stadium lights gleaning brightly in glasses, saying ’ You know what to do Diamond Tiara…’

Diamond Tiara smiled back at her friend, reciprocating in the secret language that only those two had. The bond, strengthen her resolve, she was ready to act and to be done with this circus. Her commanding little hoof whacked at the skid freeing a candy cane shard. The sticky shard easily adhered to her hoof, she called down to Scootaloo.

“Scootaloo! From one elite to another, get us out of here!” ,she called down, her hair a bluster in the convection of the wind, her Tiara and face sparkled in the hot lights of the concert venue. Scootaloo though tired, her hair a fizzled mess, covered in sweat and cheese, her heart soared. She was filled with a new found energy to keep up the fight.

“I hate everything you like Diamond Tiara,”shouted back Scootaloo with a wide, hopeful smile “But I love the way you do things!”

Returning the smile Diamond Tiara let the shard drop. Scootaloo’s free hoof was too far for Diamond Tiara to pass it to her and she would be better off anchoring her secured hoof, its grasp tenuous on the candy cane. Scootaloo went to catch the falling shard with her free hoof but missed. The shard began to fall at an accelerated rate. It wasn’t over yet, not if Scootaloo’s years of scootering had anything to say about it. Fighting pain, gravity, cheese, and a levitating pop star. She swung her tiny body, her wings beat using the moment of the dead weight beneath, she bellowed a yell that betrayed her diminutive stature. She caught the shard in an outstretched back hoof. With the shard stuck to her hoof like a Manticore’s claw she kicked into the disgusting cable of runny cheese. The impact shattered her shard into an explosion of fragrant sparks, but it was just enough. The cheese was no longer strong enough to connect her to Feather Bangs, and he was released. And not a moment too soon, the show was starting and Solar Shield’s backup security was having a headache dealing with the stage hoofs. Who weren’t about to let them pass after all the complicated and extensive work put into arranging this stage for the performance, especially so close to curtain call. The curtain drew back just as Feather Bangs twirled his way down to the stage his elaborate wings and costume glistened in the stage lights, the crowd went ecstatic. Sure enough a conga a line of bee dancers began emerging from the rotating beehive as it raised up from the stage.

Buzz, Buzz, Buzz, Buzz, Buzz, Buzz.. they all went to the droning synth beat that accompanied the song.

Only slightly off cue, Feather Bangs managed an almost flawless landing at the head of the conga line of bees. Nopony really questioned how he was able to pull off such a feat. The crowd was too excited and they didn’t appear to mind Feather Bangs audibly chewing and smacking over his microphone in place of singing.

Scootaloo breathed a sigh of relief, the fresh evening air wafted around her, a welcomed change from the stadium full of noise and heat of all the congregated creatures. She flailed back onto a crunchy heap of cheese puffs, exhausted but happy, cheddar cheese graced her nostrils. Scootaloo rested her tired head on the pink belly of pony who was in no shape to pilot her gyrocopter.

“Swiss… snark…. Gouda….snarrrrrrk… Havarati…snarrkkk”, snored Pinkie Pie, outstretched on her basket of cheese puffs, she had been inebriated for some time that evening. Security at the concert venue was content to have their performer on stage and the problematic fillies vacated. Silver Spoon had taken control of the craft, not as adept as Pinkie Pie at piloting it but with Diamond Tiara’s guidance she would make for a slow but steady ride to safety. Luckily it was a short flight to the bed and breakfast that Randolph had secured. Still, Scootaloo could barely keep her eyes open by the time they landed. With the bed and breakfast lacking a helipad the fillies were forced to land on the roof. With Randolph’s assistance they managed to hoist Pinkie Pie to the sofa. With few words between the fillies they went to bed, grateful the day was over.