• ...
 1
 298

Episode 1: Rebuilding The Castle

Railquestria Isle is an island surrounded by beautiful blue sea. It is across the coast from Vanhoover, which is accessible by an undersea tunnel that connects the island with the railways of Equestria. There are docks, industries, farms, fields mountains, quarries, stations, and happy residents trotting around. The island also has a huge railway system. Who's that rumbling down the track?

Emerging from the undersea tunnel is a green Voith Maxima ponomotive. Behind the ponomotive are 13 purple and magenta coaches that make up the 'Royal Twilighter', Equestria's royal train.

It's Switchshunter! Hello Switchshunter!

Switchshunter honks back. "Hello everypony! Welcome to Railquestria Isle!" she greeted the readers.

She continues trundling down the Cab City and Mainland mainline, which connects Cab City with the undersea tunnel to Equestria.


At Twilight City Central Station, a dark gray unicorn mare sits in the office. She had the same manestyle and tailstyle as Sunset Shimmer, but it is blue and light gray. She had a railroad crossing symbol for a cutie mark. And a black top hat, with a grey line running around the hat. Her name is Madame Tophoof the Fourth.

"Ah, it feels good to run the R.I.M.R," said Tophoof, sighing with relief.

Various trains come in and out of Twilight City Central. Be they freight or passenger, they are important to the islands economy.

Soon, the telephone rings. Tophoof then answered.

"Hello? Yes. The royal palace in Canterlot got partially destroyed? Oh, all right. Twilight's coming? I'll get to it."

*SLAMDING!*

Then a horn can be heard. It is Switchshunter arriving with the Royal Twilighter.

"Hello, Madame," smiled Switchshunter. "Princess Twilight has an important message for your engines. Hop on."

"I will gladly do so," replied Tophoof. She then hopped on board. And they set off for Bufferton Sheds.


At Bufferton Sheds, a bunch of ponomotives are gathered. There's Goldpuff (a CN S1b; No. 15), Cantermore (a Reading T-1; No. 16), Rudolph (a PRR M1b; No. 17), Aerie (an ATSF 3460 class; No. 18), Tuffluck (a CN U-1-f; No. 19), Swanson (an NYC Hudson Commodore Vanderbilt variant; No. 20), Darkwidow (an ONR 4-6-2; No. 21), Blackcat (also an ONR 4-6-2; No. 22), Hoofbogie (a Bombardier TRAXX; No. 23) Diesel (a GE Genesis P42; No. 24), Erina (a Siemens Vectron; No. 25), Skeeter (also a Siemens Vectron; No. 26 [can also honk much like his Doug counterpart]), Brando (a GE Dash 8; No. 27), Vladimir (a Russian Railways 2ES10 Granite), Snapscrap (a DB BR101 diesel variant with a blue claw), and finally, Freightship Forgetter (an EMD Class 66; No. 39).

"Seriously?" asked Tuffluck. "Twilight's visiting?"

"Yes, she is, Tuffluck," replied Swanson, with utter annoyance. "And I hope this introduction goes fast. I don't want to be late."

"Well, to be honest, Twilight made the right choice of accepting the full Equestrian throne," said Rudolph with a smile. "Both Celestia and Luna felt their time on the throne were over, anyway."

"On the bright side, if it weren't for the Crusaders, Equestria would've been doomed," chimed in Aerie.

"I definitely agree," said Brando. "Cozy Glow was friends with Tirek, by the way."

"Remember the Changeling attack?" reminded Cantermore. "It really made Canterlot a dangerous place during big events."

"Right you are," muttered Diesel. "But at least we don't have to worry about those three anymore."

"But, Diesel, since they were sealed by the princesses and Discord, it'll be likely for them to break free honk honk," added Skeeter.

"Unlikely," replied Diesel.

"Likely honk honk," said Skeeter.

"Unlikely!"

"Likely Honk Honk!"

"UNLIKELY!"

"LIKELY HONK HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONK....

*HOOOOOOOOONK!*
"SILENCE!"

There, in front of the engines, was Madame Tophoof, along with Switchshunter.

"Hello, Madame Tophoof," said all engines.

"May I have your attention please?" asked Tophoof. The engines nodded.

"Well, talk about Twilight losing her friends to the clock. Soon they will get older and head to the grave, while she remains young, and alive," teased Darkwidow.

"I heard that, Darkwidow!" scolded Tophoof. "Anyway, everyone, I like you to meet Twilight Sparkle and her friends. I expect you to be on your best behavior."

A purple lavender alicorn flies out of the Royal Twilighter. She lands next to Tophoof.

"Hello...everytrain?" greeted Twilight, confused at first upon seeing the ponomotives.

"WELCOME TO RAILQUESTRIA ISLE, PRINCESS TWILIGHT!" exclaimed all the engines, with whistles and honks, before 'kneeling' down like buses as if they were to bow down.

Twilight chuckled. "Thank you all. But anyway, the Royal Palace in Canterlot has been damaged in the battle. I have asked Tophoof to borrow some of you to help rebuild the castle. I have the list here."

"Please pick me. Please pick me," thought Diesel.

"I will have Cantermore, Freightship, Brando, Swanson, Rudolph, Hoofbogie, Aerie, Skeeter, and finally, Blackcat," said Twilight.

"Aw, I wanted to help," sighed Diesel in sadness.

"Don't worry, Diesel. I bet there's a next time," replied Goldpuff.


The next morning, the 9 engines headed to the mainland to report for work in Canterlot.

"I hope she gives me the job of pulling the passenger coaches," said Swanson. "It'll be an honor to pull such -

...later....

"BUILDING MATERIALS!?" exclaimed Swanson. "Building materials! Oh, I feel undignified!"

"Sorry, Swanson," chuckled Brando. "But Twilight chose us to help rebuild the castle, remember?"

"I see," muttered Swanson. "Undignified. So undignified now."

"Good morning, everytrain," greeted Twilight as she trotted up. "We have work to do before my coronation. The shipments are waiting below in Ponyville and we don't want to keep the party waiting."

"Yes, your Highness!" replied all the engines as they set off to work to get the castle repaired.

*KLINK!*
Cars of castle components get coupled up.

*CLANK! CLANK!*
More cars get coupled up.

*KLINK!*
More knuckle couplers hook up.

*CLANK! CLANK!*

*KLINK!*

*CLANK! CLANK!*

*SWITCH! HONK! DING! DING!*
Railway signalboxes direct the trains, while the bells are ringing.

*DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING!*

Hey! Hey! Everypony!
We've got something to say.

We may seem as different,
As the night is from day.
But you look a little deeper,

And you will see,
That we're just like you
And you're just like us.

Yeah!
[An epic montage shows of some of the 9 engines passing with their load to Canterlot]
Hey! Hey! Everypony!
We're here to shout,

That the magic of friendship
Is what it's all about.
Yeah, we thought we were different,

As the night is from the day.
Until Twilight Sparkle helped us see another way.
So couple up, roll along.


If you're gonna come around.
We can work together,
Helping Twilight rebuild the castle.

So up, get down.
'Cause it's gonna make a sound. *HONK!*
If we work together,

Helping Twilight Sparkle rebuild the castle!

Hey! Hey! Hooves up now!

We're sending a message to the crowd!
Hooves wave up, then come down,
We're working together all around!


Generous, honesty.


Laughter, kindness, loyalty.
Twilight helped us each to see.

All that for nine years.


So couple up, roll along.
If you're gonna come around.
We can work together,

Helping Twilight rebuild the castle
So couple up, roll along
'Cause it's gonna make a sound. *HONK!*


If we work together,
Helping Twilight Sparkle rebuild the castle


I have been so happy
To be princess now
And if we're different, yeah,

I want you to be true to you.
If you help the trains,
We'll put our differences aside.

We'll stick together
And start working on that castleeeeee!

Couple up, make a sound. *WHISTLE*
Stomp your hooves, turn around.
Start now, make a change,

Gonna come around.
Couple up, make a sound. *HONK!*
Stomp your hooves, turn around.

Engines of R-I-M-L
Help her rebuild the castle.
Couple up, make a sound. *WHISTLE*

Stomp your hooves, turn around.
Start now, make a change,
Gonna come around.

Jump up, make a sound. *HONK*
Stomp your hooves, turn around.
Engines of R-I-M-L

Help her rebuild the castle.
Couple up, make a sound. *HONK*
Stomp your hooves, turn around.

Start now, make a change,
Gonna come around.
Couple up, make a sound. *WHISTLE*
Stomp your hooves, turn around.
Engines of R-I-M-L....

Soon, the castle had been completed. It was almost time for the coronation party. The 9 engines had worked so hard that they were exhausted.

"Phew! I almost worked my axles off!" panted Brando. But we managed to get everything done in time."

"Uhh, sorry to bother you," interrupted Aerie. "BUT SOMEPONY FORGOT TO BRING THE SUPPLIES FOR THE CORONATION PARTY!"

Everytrain gasped.

"So, what will happen if the coronation supplies aren't delivered?" asked Rudolph.

"It will be a disaster. Twilight will be very unhappy. So unhappy she will step down from the throne way too early. Then all of Equestria will fall," teased Darkwidow. Everytrain frowned at her.

"What?" asked Darkwidow.

"Nothing," asked Rudolph. "Carry on."

Then, another pony with a clipboard galloped up to them.

"I have bad news!" exclaimed the workpony. "There was a breakdown in Ponyville. A steam engine popped its piston, and it can't deliver the supplies! Oh my dear Celestia, if we cant get the coronation party supplies, who knows what could happen!"

"Do not worry, I can bring the supplies," chimed in Freightship. "The coronation will be saved!"

All the engines cheered. Freightship then rumbled down the mountain, heading for Ponyville.

To be continued...

Author's Note:

I want to dedicate this episode and the next episode to all the staff and the fandom that worked so hard to make MLP FiM possible. Well done!