• Published 13th Oct 2019
  • 1,000 Views, 38 Comments

OMAI: The Empire of Storms - VeganSpyro97



It should have been so simple. Beat the bad guy, fall in love, get married, go home, live life. But nothing is ever so easy.

  • ...
3
 38
 1,000

Chapter 4: Do I look Pretty?

As Static made her way down the palace corridors, Princess Celestia walking beside her, she heard a familiar voice up ahead, close to the huge double doors of Canterlot Castle’s massive entrance. The individual in question was a tall, broad chested, wide-winged Gryphon, whose feathery head crest was bundled together thanks to a small braid woven around and between several of those feathers. His rear half was made of the black and white feline called the Siberian Tiger, while his front half resembled some kind of eagle, one with dark brown feathers, similarly brown eyes and a hooked yellow and black beak. He was talking with one of the door guards about their armour while he waited, wings tucked close to his sides but tail gently swaying behind him.

Static recognized the voice coming from the strangers beak, a timid smile worming its way onto her face. She looked up at Celestia, who had also recognized the voice. The diarch simply motioned for her to go talk to the Gryphon, a command that Static had absolutely no objections to.

She approached slowly, so that the Gryphon did not hear her approach until she was only a few paces away. “Long time no see, Mike.”

The Gryphon froze, his conversation halting mid flow as he turned to look at the newcomer behind him. He looked the pony up and down, slowly piecing together just who it was he was talking to. “A-Allan?”

Static nodded, beaming. “What’s it been, two years since we last saw each other? Guess we’ve both changed a lot since then.”

Mike nodded, beak open as he struggled to link the Allan he had known, both as a Human and as a Changeling, to the mare standing in front of him. “More than a little. Gilda told me about it, and I got your letter last year...but…..seeing it….seeing you...”

“A bit startling, isn’t it?” Static grinned. “So you know I’m going by Static Thunder now, right? Have you chosen a new name?”

Mike nodded. “Yeah. Gallant.”

“Like the knights of old.” Static chuckled.

“Like you, actually.” Gallant replied. “You’re a knight, right?”

“The only dream knight currently in existence. Technically that makes me a Guard Captain- or, it would if there was anyone else in the Dreamguard.” She sighed, looking out of the door and towards the courtyard.

“Glad I got an invite to this. I was a little worried you might have forgotten I was here on Equus.” Gallant remarked, still staring at his friend. “Do you ever miss it?”

“What?”

“You know? Home.”

Static bit her lip, glancing off to the side. “Ponyville is my home now….”

“You know what I meant.” Gallant laughed. “I’m not trying to imply anything.”

Static stayed silent for a bit. “The place…..eh. Not that much really. Earth was….Earth.” She swung her head back around to look Gallant in the eye. “It’s the people I miss.”

Now it was Gallant’s turn to be quiet for a bit. “You miss her a lot, don’t you?”

The pegasus turned away again, eyes downcast and tail curling up protectively around her body. “She was...she was my best friend. Of course I miss her.”

“I think she would be pretty excited to see this today, don’t you?”

Static’s ears drooped a little further. “I think she would have wanted to be the one opposite me on that stage.”

Gallant clacked his beak shut so that he didn’t blurt his instinctual answer of no. He had to remind himself that while Static had come to terms with how she felt about their late friend, Anna, bringing it up would do her no favours. “And your parents too. They’d probably come if you asked.”

“And abandon everything to do so. I already went over this with pretty much everyone I know at least once.”

“Eh, I wouldn’t know. I’ve been hanging out in Griffonstone for the last two years. Hard to think we’ve been gone for so long….” Gallant’s train of thought trailed off, not sure where to go next. “Uh...I bet they’d love this, you know. Your parents?”

Static smiled, trying to picture her parents coming to Equestria, wondering what their reactions to their new selves would be. She could see her mother squealing in delight at the cute faces and adorable little hooves she and her husband would then have- assuming they became ponies, of course. “Yeah. They would…”

Silence reigned once more, the two friends just standing there for a moment, before Static drew in a deep breath, preparing herself for what was to come. She turned to Gallant one last time, and, in a display of timidity and nervousness, she asked a fateful question.

“Do….do I look pretty?” She posed the question quietly, barely whispering.

Gallant cocked his head, casting his intense eagle-eyed gaze over her body and face, this time looking with real scrutiny. After a few long moments, Static’s old friend smiled, and reached out to gently put a claw on her shoulder. “Oh yes.” He said, before gently pushing her towards the door.

The soon to be married mare stood back, pulling her veil over her head as she started to back towards the door. “You’d better get to your seat on time.” She jibed, trying to force down her nerves as they fluttered about in her stomach. “I’ll be pissed if you miss this.”

Gallant nodded again, watching his friend go, joining back up with Princess Celestia as they walked out into the castle’s courtyard, before passing through the gates to the city, and vanishing from sight.

The Gryphon then sighed, bidding the guards he had talked to goodbye and taking off, flying his way to the ceremony.

*********************************

It began with a fanfare, the royal announcement played by loyal mares and stallions. In filed the bridesmaids, the Elements of Harmony all dressed in their finest, and then there was Princess Luna, who ascended to the podium set on the stage. The mare’s bright, glittering dress drew a few appreciative, if timid looks of approval from several ponies in the crowd, mares and stallions both, which Luna certainly seemed pleased about, if her smug little grin and twitching ears were any indication. She ignored those interests however, instead reminding herself of the task on hoof.

“Mares and Stallions, noble and common pony alike. We are gathered here today to honour and celebrate the recent victories of our heroic allies, and our own military, just two years hence. It was the first truly great achievement together, only made possible by our co-operation and the sacrifice of many brave souls.” Luna paused, watching the crowd as they in turn listened in rapt attention. She noted the solemn faces at the mention of those that had perished, but also that, where non-ponies were sat beside ponies, there were shared looks and nods of camaraderie, creatures once estranged now regarding each other as friends and confidants, people who had experienced loss too.

“While there were a great number of heroes that day, who gave up their lives to protect peace and vanquish evil, there was one soul who was spared death, and given a second chance at life. Today, she wishes to join that life to another.” Luna watched the crowd again, seeing slowly growing smiles and contented nods. “It was my honour to know Static as my student, and now a new adventure beckons her. That adventure started, in her own words, with a pair of wonderful eyes, and a kind heart that opened her own.” Luna smiled at the image of the two ponies she had become so fond of. “The eyes and kindness of a pony who gave her hope when she had none, and gave her a new reason to press onwards. Fluttershy Breeze is an exceptional mare in her own right, having overcome many of her own demons in order to even be here today- though she is no doubt quite nervous today.” A chuckle rippled through the audience, and Luna motioned with her hoof, as had been arranged.

Music started up, sung by a flock of birds, as dictated by Starlight Glimmer, who gently waved a tiny conductor’s baton to the stand the flock was perched upon. A gentle piano and violin had been added to the mix, but it didn’t sound bad, actually. Not that anyone was paying attention to the music.

From the rear of the crowd, a group of four ponies had entered, the tallest and most obvious being Princess Celestia herself, looking quite pleased with her dress as she led Static Thunder towards the stage. The smaller mare had her veil over her face, and with Celestia between her and Fluttershy, the old superstition about seeing the bride before her wedding was kept safe.

On the other side, was Fluttershy and her father, who was actually panicking more than his daughter. After all, he was walking next to Princess Celestia, the Diarch of the Sun and ruler of Equestria, while several hundred ponies watched. It was a lot to handle.

Perhaps that was the irony in the situation, as Fluttershy was too concerned over her father’s nervous state to worry much about the huge crowd.

Proceeding with the music, the pair marched up to the stage, carefully climbed up the stairs onto it, led by their escorts, before coming together in the middle, both trying very hard not to start gushing at how beautiful they thought the other looked.

As they arrived, Luna cleared her throat, ready to continue once the brides gave the okay, which they did.

“Fluttershy and Static Thunder, the two of you have chosen to be wed this day, of your own free will and out of true love for one another. This bond between you is a sacred one, forged in both adversity and comfort, and smiled upon by the forces of harmony. Fluttershy, you have prepared your own vow?”

“I have.” Fluttershy murmured. Thankfully, Twilight had planned for nerves and cast a spell on the stage that projected her voice to everyone present. Fluttershy cleared her throat and began her speech. “Static. When you first came here, I have to admit, I was….terrified of what was going to happen. You were a stranger from a strange world who had just lost everything, and I had no idea if I could help you. I did what I thought would help, and tried to help you the best I could. And it worked. I….I felt so happy to see you start to open up, the way that I started to open up when I was learning how to overcome my fears. And then you weren’t a stranger anymore. You were my friend, a friend who was kind and considerate, who could never stop apologizing for breaking something by accident, or trying your hardest to learn about the world around you.” Fluttershy looked back at her friends and beamed happily. “You reminded me of all the best people in my life, and how far we’d all come. And then you did even more. You risked your life to save our friends from a yeti, worked yourself to the bone to help Applejack at the farm, and still found time to help me with my animal friends at the cottage. You did so much for me, and I wanted to do things for you too. I wanted to spend time with you, and hug you, and kiss you, and….” Fluttershy went bright red as she her well planned speech veered off on an embarrassing tangent. She cleared her throat again before giving her speech’s finale. “You made me feel lucky, and pretty. You made me feel wanted. And I want to make you feel those things too. And I don’t ever want to stop. I promise that I will always try to let you know you are loved.”

Luna nodded, turning her gaze to Static. “And you have prepared your vow, my student?”

“I have.” Static said, voice shaking in nervous anticipation only a little bit…. Just a bit. “Fluttershy. Ever since I met you, my life has turned upside down more times than I can count, sometimes even literally (thank you discord.)” Static’s little aside drew a few chuckles from the crowd, who were watching, several with tears in their eyes already, such as Fluttershy’s parents, and almost all the Element bearers. Though Dash would most likely claim that she most definitely did not cry for the rest of her days, and Rarity was probably crying over how gorgeous her dress designs looked. “When I was lost, you helped me find my way. You taught me, were patient and accommodating in every conceivable way, helped me whenever I needed it, often without me asking you to.” Static paused, looking her fiancée in the eye. “And now here we are, about to commit ourselves to one another. For the rest of our lives.” Static chuckled, trying very hard not to listen to her treacherous mind as it shrieked at her to get off the stage and run as far away as she could, due to how many ponies were watching them. “I once told your dad that I felt like I was in debt to you, and that I wanted to spend the rest of my life repaying you. But now, that’s just not true. No debt could ever make me feel the way I do about you. Every day, my first thought is of how we’ll spend our time together. All I want is you, every hour, of every day. I just want to see you smile. Hear your laugh. Be with you when you need someone close, hold you when you need to be held, offer kisses and hugs after a long day, talk about everything, or nothing at all, just to hear the sound of your voice. I want to get into fights and argue over dumb stuff, just so we can make up and do it all again. I want the long and sleepless nights, the fun nights and boring nights. I want to spend it all with you. For the rest of my life. Because dammit, you make me feel special. And I promise to do everything I possibly can to make you feel that way too.”

Luna smiled triumphantly, glad that neither of her brides had cracked under the strain of many eyes locked on them. She drew herself up to her full height, wings flared. “Before we continue, I would offer this moment to welcome those that would like to share the reason they think these two should not be wed.” While she had said it out of politeness and a regard for customs, the intense stare Luna leveled at the crowd explained in full detail, that anyone who objected to this wedding in front of her could very much expect nightmares for years, or perhaps even a little trip to the moon. No one was stupid enough to risk taking that bet.

“Then, I take it you have the rings?”

The two mares exchanged a quick, knowing glance before nodding, a signal to a filly waiting eagerly nearby.

Static watched as Scootaloo hopped up to present both her and Fluttershy with the rings sitting on a pillow, nestled carefully on the red velvet that the teenager balanced ever so carefully on her upturned hoof.

Luna smiled, trying very hard not to look like she was going to cry at any moment, though Celestia was already dabbing her eyes and whispering to Twilight about how she always cried at weddings. Shining Armour was bawling his eyes out in the front row, much to the amusement of his wife and daughter, who was giggling and batting at his mane with a hoof.

“Now, Static, please, take thy ring, and repeat after me.” Luna led. “With this ring, I, Static Thunder.”

“I, Static Thunder.” Static dutifully repeated, her breath coming out only a little too fast.

“Take thee, Fluttershy.”

“Take thee, Fluttershy.”

“To be my lawfully wedded wife.”

“To be my lawfully wedded wife.”

Luna turned to Fluttershy to repeat the process. Thankfully, having seen Static do it, Fluttershy found it far easier to do. Technically they had done a rehearsal, but that had been a small thing, barely a dozen ponies around. It only made sense that with a crowd this massive that the fianceé’s nerves would be magnified.

Luna stood proudly as the last words of the vow were finally spoken. She smiled, broadly, her star filled mane sparkling just a little brighter than usual as she spoke. “Then without further ado, I now pronounce you both, mare and-”

The distant rumble of thunder interrupted the Princess, her eyes immediately flicking upward, to the clear skies, those gorgeous orbs filled with worry. Then widened in shock.

Because the skies weren’t clear.

They were filling up with storm clouds.

Static and Fluttershy stared up at the clouds too, the guests all taking the sudden pall as a sign that the wedding was most definitely being postponed.

Static and Fluttershy were moving before anyone else, helping each other carefully but quickly remove the outer layers of their dresses. Luna was yelling for order, but as the other element bearers all stripped off their dresses as fast as possible, flashes of lightning in the clouds above revealed exactly what Static and Luna were afraid of.

The dark hulls of airships.

Twenty of them.

And they were all descending through the lowest layer of the clouds now, the biggest and most well armoured one in the middle of the others, surrounded by a cordon of its sister ships as it drifted lower.

“Guards, escort all non-combatants, to the castle, now!” Static roared, magic flashing about her as armour replaced the dress she had been wearing before. Her friends received similar protection from their own magical flashes, summoning stones quickly stowed away in convenient to reach locations on their new gear before they fell in beside Princess Luna, ushering the many guests off of the concourse. Among the guests were several creatures that did not leave however, and Static’s heart leaped out of place when she spotted Gallant among them.

Rose had already managed to snatch up Crystal, galloping away as fast as she could while Luna, Twilight and Static started issuing commands to the guards. “Day Guard, all companies, assemble!” Luna shouted, addressing the group of guards who had been watching over the ceremony. “Night Guards, initiate emergency evacuation protocol C-3! Escort all non-combatants to the Crystal Caves through the palace or the Market entrance!”

“Day Guards, form ranks and prepare for battle!” Static called out. The weight of her armour after nearly two years was unfamiliar, and she felt at odds with it being on her.

The thought of Crystal’s terrified face as Rose carried her away was enough to throw her back into reality. She was needed.

The airships had slowed their descent, but the big one had made its intention to land very clear by positioning itself over the far end of the balcony-concourse.

By the time it had settled down, a set of spider like legs emerging from retractable panels in the hull, the guards were fully arrayed in their shining golden armour, lances and swords ready as their helmet plumes waved in the breeze. Static stood beside Princess Luna and Twilight, watching as the airship began to lower a gangplank for its passengers to disembark. The three ponies glanced at each other, before stepping forward to meet the occupants as they came.

As they did, a a pair of ponies joined them, Cadance and Celestia having already switched clothes and donned their own battle armour. The five marched in step, until they stood fifteen paces ahead of their own guard force, watching as the small column of twenty soldiers made their way out of the ship and down the plank.

“Remind me to thank you later for your evacuation protocols.” Static heard Celestia murmur. “You were right to worry, it seems.”

“We’ll settle up who lost that bet later, Princess.” Static muttered back.

The column of soldiers parted, and a new figure stepped out of the ship, one that made the arranged Day Guard, and even the Princesses themselves, recoil slightly in horror.

A unicorn with a broken, cracked stump where her horn should be.

**********************************************

Author's Note:

The title was a reference- as was the scene with the title drop too. Can you guess what movie? It's one of my favourites.....