• Published 1st Nov 2019
  • 719 Views, 3 Comments

Assured - Fantastic Tales



Starlight succeeded, and now she has to deal with that fact.

  • ...
1
 3
 719

Chapter 2

“A- A reminder of what?” Starlight managed.

“Of a memory,” Sombra answered, “just, a memory,” he repeated, passing genially by her as he moved to sit before the statue, not two paces removed from her own position.

Starlight kept silent, keeping herself occupied with frenetic thoughts of: ‘Oh Celestia, it’s him! Please don’t let me die now, not like this!’

“Few come to these parts,” Sombra spoke with a casual air, continuing in that same absolved air, “I wonder why you are here.”

Starlight shut down at that, feeling the color bleeding from her body as she looked pointedly forward with pin-prick eyes and a locked jaw.

From the start, he was everything the stories had described, and worse. Dark as if trapping whatever light would touch him, a cold sneer where any pony else would have a friendly face.

Sombra chuckled at that as if it were a familiar and funny scene. “Do not worry about my prying, pony. I am under no illusion that any would label me as anything better than a tyrant, but be assured that you are safe as long as you tread lightly along the rules. Besides which, if you were due for punishment, I promise you that I would not waste time in conversation,” Sombra smirked over at her.

Starlight returned a weak smile of her own. Oddly enough, she did not feel assured.

“I- I guess I was just looking for a quiet place. I’m not really comfortable with crowds,” she managed at last.

“Ah, yes,” Sombra began, as if commiserating about a familiar subject, “celebrations can become quite bothersome, and I don’t imagine the reminder of war is any comfort, either,” he rubbed his chin, as if in idle musing. “But, do not worry,” he said at last, waving a hoof in dismissal, “I expect this will be the last such spectacle. It is a miracle that Canterlot has stood this long; I do not expect it to live through the night.” Sombra said this with the confidence of a hardened king, and with the weariness of one as well.

Starlights ears perked up at this, and she just barely failed to hold back her disbelieving cough. The fall of Canterlot? The idea itself seemed inconceivable for that half instant before she felt her spirits became chilled by the sobering reminder that she was no longer in her own reality, and that Canterlot, here, was but a crumbling dream barely clinging to a mountain face.

Sombra, if he noticed the slip, didn’t comment, seeming himself to be in a hazy trance as he looked up at the statue, an unreadable expression coloring his face.

“Well…” Starlight chuckled nervously as she stepped slowly back from her seat, half bowing to Sombra as she did so in a formal attempt to avoid eye contact. “I’ll just, uh, leaveyoualonethen, bye!” she blurted out in a squeak, finding herself galloping to the alleyway by the third step.

Sombra, for his part, didn’t seem to notice her absence, entranced as he was by the solitude of the statue he pondered.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Twilight sat tired in the far corner of a dingy, underground restaurant with windowless, dirt walls and uncomfortable, wooden desks which stuck out from those walls. Slumped across the uneven surface of her table top, Twilight sat nursing a half empty mug of cider and a headache. A headache which, undisturbed as she’d been for the past several hours, sat pristinely ready to be annoyed when Starlight, horn glowing like rail spike, barged into the cellar with a kick of the door, yelling:

“Twilight! Twilight are you here!”

In the encapsulating loudness of the voice as it filled the room, Twilight could sense a panic and sorrowful remorse coloring the voice. Of course, this observation was overshadowed, mostly, by the painful annoyance and annoying pain which seemed to dig itself into her brain as the words rang in her ears and the bobbing horn light waved itself in her squinting vision.

“What!” Twilight managed to blubber over her confusion, rearing back away from the light as she raised a foreleg up to mask her eyes.

“Twilight!” the voice answered in excited recognition, the light switching off as a gallop of hooves came over to Twilight’s corner of the room. “You can’t tell how happy I am to see you! I’ve been running up and down this complex for ages! Do you have any idea how many tracking spells I had to cast- you know, they really should make a directional version of that- mmph.”

Starlight’s voice came to an abrupt halt as Starlight reared back, wide eyes staring down at the purple hoof plugged over her snout.

“What, do you want?” Twilight said with exaggerated patience, managing not to add some choice words at the end.

“I found a way to fix everything!” Starlight beamed, all but throwing herself over the table to look into Twilight’s downcast eyes. Internally, Starlight recognized the announcement turned out far less dramatic than she’d planned in those many hours spent searching, but it served its purpose.

“What?” Twilight said.

“I figured out a way we can undo this future and go back into our own timeline!”

“What?” Twilight repeated.

“Yeah!” Starlight beamed, nodding as if in complete agreement with that statement. “If we just go back in time to the point of divergence, it’d be a simple matter to undo my undoing of the future!”

“Oh,” Twilight mulled, blinking tiredly as she straightened up away from the desk and processing the statement for a moment before, again, replying, “...what?”

“Ugh,” Starlight rushed, “I’m saying, if we go back in time, we can stop this from happening.”

“But, you destroyed the spell!”

“No,” Starlight corrected, “ I destroyed our realities copy of the spell, meaning-”

“Meaning, there should be an intact version in this reality.” Twilight perked up, understanding written in her expression.

“One that I can modify to take us back in time!” Starlight finished, hopping back from the table to pace excitedly in the darkness of the cavern.

“But wait,” Twilight interjected with a frown, “all the archives are in the state library, and we’d need an official permit to gain access, and we’d need proof of residency to get the permits! We don’t reside here, Starlight!” growing more and more panicked as she continued.

“Tschh,” Starlight chuffed, disappointingly, stopping in her pacing with a curious expression. “Wait- How do you know about the library policy here?” she asked.

“It’s the first place I tried to go to!” explained Twilight, matter of factly.

Starlight only replied with an even more bewildered expression.

“Stop judging me!”

“Ok, ok,” Starlight shook her head, breathing calming breaths and resuming her pace. Drawing out a quill and parchment, she then began writing a series of notes. “Here are the modifications I made to Starswirl's spell,” she said, pushing the notes over to Twilight, “I’ve got an idea of how to get into the library, do you think you’ll be able to prepare the table in the meantime?”

“I- I think so?” Twilight pushed herself back from the table, forgetting her anger along with the mug as she looked intently at the dense scribbles of parchment in her grasp.

“Great! You do that! Try not to get captured by the secret police!” Starlight answered, turning to leave before being halted by Twilight.

“Wait! The table’s broken! And how are you even going to get the spell anyway?” Twilight said, skeptical despite the overabundance of hope which enamored her.

“I’ll get the spell, Twilight, just trust me,” Starlight plead.

“And the map?” asked Twilight.

“The map will work,” Starlight said, turning hurriedly to leave before once again being halted, this time by a gentle hoof which found itself on her shoulder.

Starlight followed the hoof to its source, where twilight sat hunched against her chair, and seeming quite small in it.

“...How can you know?” Twilight asked carefully "that the map will work" she clarified, weariness and loss coloring her voice, as if she were afraid of even knowing the answer.

Starlight, uncharacteristically subdued, calmed down from her previous frenzy, taking a quiet moment to sit down and reciprocate Twilights touch, stretching out her own leg she pressed a hoof onto Twilight’s shoulder.

“I just have to believe it will, Twilight,” she said. “There’s nothing else I can do.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Canterlot had fallen that morning. The city itself was now a ruin, shrouded in darkness, and whatever beams of light made their way through the cloud cover seemed to have a dimmer feature about them.

Starlight felt less at the sight of it’s remains than she’d expected. Perhaps it was the fact that she’d known it was coming, or maybe it was because she knew this was only temporary. Yes, that had to be it. She’d complete the spell before the day’s end, and this would all be over like a bad dream.

But, before that, she’d need a copy of the spell from the library. Sombra’s Library! And, in order to get to that library she’d need to find Sombra. And, the only place Starlight could think to find him when he wasn’t behind a moat, castle walls, and several parades of guards was in the clearing she currently paced in.

Midnight had fallen hours ago by the time the first hints of doubt sprung up inside her. Increasingly, the painful chill penetrated deeper and deeper through her fur coat. In her distracted, shivering pace, she trotted nervously from one side of the clearing onward, reworking her pace in a desperate attempt to keep her mind off the gnawing hours of cold.

She continued her pacing dutifully, however. Despite her doubts, she had no other leads, and she could do no nothing other than continue her wait, along the dark on dark border of the treeline, which, all the time, seemed more and more to take the features of a barred prison.

On one rebound from the side of the clearing, however, Starlight noticed that a light was coming from the bare stone surface of the statue. It was a hazy, indistinct, light, barely enough to show the rough features of the object, and all but unnoticeable; but, in the supreme darkness of the city night, it showed brilliantly.

The statue seemed almost to glow with a ghostly halo surrounding it, and Starlight found herself at its base before she could register having moved there.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A dark colt sat alone at the orphanage, lonely in his clearing as he halfheartedly scratched figures in the ground.

Near him, drawing closer, was a young filly. One Starlight immediately recognized as the mare from the statue, and she was speaking.

“Don’t worry,” the filly said with an ironically upbeat tone, “they think I’m weird, too.” Here, she seemed to get a suddenly exciting idea. “Maybe, we can be weird together!” she said.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“I believe you.” Sombra was earnest, if confused, as he overlooked the pass.

“I know,” the mare said, coat resplendent in the evening light, “they’re invisible to all the world except me. It’s a shame.”

“Isn’t it nice? To have friends all your own?” Sombra asked.

“They’re so beautiful,” she said, tears streaming as her eyes flickered meaningfully over the canyon below. “Oh, Sombra, how I wish you could see them!”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“I now pronounce you, Husband and Wife!” the announcer spoke, and Sombra smiled, happy as Radiant Hope returned it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Sombra! Sombra! What’s happening!” Here, reality broke down, and shadowy images stormed into the air, expressive and vague. Emotions came to life and her heart thundered with the storm as it closed the world in on her. The lightning flashed, and rainfall drenched, and she was suffocating!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Starlight came to with a gasp. Pedaling back, she withdrew from the statue as if stung, slamming roughly back against something which hadn’t been there before.

Leaping forward with a yelp of surprise, Starlight turned, flashing her horn and aiming the light onto the darkly silent figure of Sombra.

Here, both parties froze, and took a rapid moment to observe each other.

Starlight, with excited eyes and rapid heart, huffed breathily as she stared intently at the stately figure before her. Sombra, for all the regality and presence he carried, showed clear exhaustion, in his body and in his eyes, as if he were a single wisp away from collapse.

This exhaustion, apparent as it was to Starlight, revealed a presence ten-fold what she could discern from sight alone when he rose to speak.

“I… did not mean to startle you,” he said, polite, as if he’d mustered the greatest effort to say those words.

“It’s fine. It’s fine,” Starlight replied hurriedly, “I, uh, saw you took Canterlot.” She continued, vaguely aware of her mission even as she lacked the words to effect it.

“Yes,” Sombra replied, seeming in that one word to have grown older by several years. “I did.”

“You don’t seem particularly happy about it,” Starlight noted, speaking impulsively in her excitement, with a tongue quicker than her inhibitions.

Sombra paused, and the hanging silence grated, easing finally when he spoke once more.

“I think,” he said, holding a brief silence, “that I will hold off the celebrations, for now. Defeating the royal sisters has cost more than I expected.” This, he said with a great sense of certainty, one which clashed outstandingly with the inherent frailty that had overtaken him.

Here, Starlight was silent, and here, Sombra, after a brief, unreadable look to the statue, turned away, walking high and formally despite the leadened weight which seemed to drive his hooves into the dirt in a depressing plod.

Starlight, seeing her opportunity walk away, panicked. Once again, the words broke without conscious thought, coalescing around a desperate thread of absurd hope which now wound through the crevices of her mind.

“You knew her, didn’t you?” Starlight asked, clarifying, “Radiant hope.”

For a moment, Sombra appeared as if he’d continue walking, uninterrupted and unbothered by her assertion. Quickly, however, the appearance transformed into one of uncertainty and turmoil, which itself became superseded by resignation as he turned back to face her.

Starlight, sitting in the overshadowing silence that followed, reared carefully back from the sight of Sombra as his gaze ran cooly over her. As if becoming aware, suddenly, of who it was she had just spoken to, Starlight fumbled, hurrying to fill the silence.

“You were, I mean, uh-hmm, the legends say, some of them, that you two were...married,” Starlight whispered, bookending her stumbling, disjointed statement with a nervous wince.

“You speak so confidently.” Sombra commented.

“I’m a historian,” Starlight said suddenly, catching a spark of an idea which lit up her eyes in animation as she spoke “I’ve been researching Radiant Hope for years. That was why I was at the statue last night.”

Starlight, who had been expecting some sort of reprieve from the burden of having to explain herself, fell disappointed as a stretching silence filled the space, and Sombra, seeming quite content within it, looked over at her with a warning expression.

“It…” she sweated, “was never my intention to insult you, King Sombra; but, I’ve dedicated my life to uncovering the history of Radiant Hope,” she said, gaining more confidence now, “and I know, well, I’d hoped, that you would be as invested in preserving her history as I was.” Starlight could feel her conviction grow with every word, and as she carried on telling her story, she even felt herself forgetting that it was false.

Sombra, for his part, was unreadable throughout the exchange as he stared down at the mare.

Then, suddenly, he laughed. A basso chuckle which came out more as a growl than anything Starlight could identify as friendly.

“And what is it you really want,” Sombra said, “for this, eminently worthy cause of yours.” A playful lilt played about his voice, as if he were more interested in hearing her answer than in her story.

“I just need an unrestricted pass to the library,” Starlight said quickly, hopping forward to a close trot around him. The positive response fueled her daring, and she circled close enough to nearly touch the king, all the while looking hopefully up at him with a bright expression. “If I could just have one day-”

“No,” Sombra answered, curtly turning away from her shocked expression and walking away.

“But-” Starlight protested.

“There are official channels for these affairs,” Sombra said, adding in a dangerous tone, “I suggest you not waste any more of my time pestering me about it.”

Starlight shrunk back, wanting nothing more than to oblige him and turn away. Still, she found herself planted, a familiar instinct binding her there, not allowing her reprieve until she’d said everything she could think to say on the matter. And it was here she felt the territory of the conversation turn dangerous.

“What about Radiant Hope’s history!” She shouted after him, desperation edging her voice.

No response.

“She’ll be forgotten, you know?” She pressed. “I mean, did you really think some statue in a public park would do anything? I’m the only pony other than you that even knows she ever existed!” she spat, admonishing and furious, realizing in some small part of her that she'd lost control of herself at this point.

Sombra paused in his step, and Starlight felt herself reigned back upon noticing the motion.

A silent shift of hooves and she saw the silhouette of Sombra turn back towards her, and she strained to suppress every instinct which railed at her to run.

Sombra spoke finally, looking back over his broad, though weary, shoulders. “Behind the library building, at the southwest edge of the palace grounds, you can find hidden passageway through the south garden wall. I imagine you should be able to continue your research undisturbed, if you’re quiet about it.” Sombra’s voice trailed into even more of a whisper, falling abruptly silent as he fixed his stare ahead and walked slowly into the engulfing darkness of the alleyway.

“Thank you,” Starlight raised her hoof to say, only holding back at the last moment, resigned to the quiet of the moment.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The world grew darker and colder past midnight.

Contrary to every sense and expectation, Starlight felt the dawn grow more distant with time, as a static chill seemed to freeze the air about her in a crystal clarity, in stark contrast to the roiling, thickening clouds which swirled tumultuously above like a malevolent ceiling.

“...Starlight...Starlight!” Twilight whispered severely, brushing up against the distracted mare.

“Right...sorry!” Starlight chuckled nervously in her own whisper, flashing a friendly smile at Twilight and swiftly turning back to face the imposing wall of stone ahead.

“Are you sure this is the place?” Twilight asked with a stern expression.

“Yeah,” Starlight squinted at the rock formations which made up the wall. “At least, I think so,” she added, less sure of her self.

Twilight didn’t wait, and rose her head, horn flaring.

Starlight, startled by the sudden action, flared her own.

And, with a flash of violet, and a pitch of noise, both mares vanished, leaving only dust swirls in their wake.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Starlight found herself indoors with a wall behind her and with that tizzy feeling that tickled at her hooves whenever she teleported.

Taking a characteristic prance forward to clear the tension from her legs, Starlight was surprised to see her partner several dozen shelves forward of her, casting light and stark shadows though the isles as she passed.

Starlight sprang forward and caught up with Twilight, keeping close as they navigated through the maze of shelves.

“Where do you think the spell will be?” Starlight wanted to ask, but held her silence all the same. It was a pointless question, and it wasn’t worth asking no matter how deeply the silence tore at her.

After a period of nervous searching, Starlight began to notice the completely abandoned condition of the library. Cracked stonework in the ceiling let flow a stream of cool, night air that swam silently through the dark interior, disturbing the phantasmal layer of cobwebs and dust that had settled on what seemed to be every book and in every nook and cranny of the space.

Starlight again, noticed the surprising ease with which the normally bookish pony seemed able to ignore the dilapidated condition of the surrounding library, and was about to bring it up, but held back; it, again, seemed like a pointless line of questioning.

The neglect and age of the building turned out to be to their advantage, however, as, soon, the prized collection of artifacts was found, unguarded behind a dysfunctional warding spell, and from there it was but a simple matter of teleportation to liberate Starswirls Spell and to make the necessary modifications.

As she labored over the parchment, adjusting variables and, on occasion, adding her own innovations to the piece, Starlight noticed that Twilight was looking intently over at her and her work, tilting her head every now and then as she scanned over the working parchment.

Starlight was also keen to notice that this was the first time Twilight had looked at her since…

She purged the thought from her mind, focusing back on her work just as she finished adding the final flourishes and, with a flick of her cap, topped the marker and placed it aside.

“Here,” she whispered, handing the parchment to Twilight and, despite every effort she’d made to ignore it, noticed clearly the hasty and nervous expression Twilight had as she accepted the spell, her eyes glowing in the light as they flickered and flashed about, seeming to look everywhere except Starlight herself.

“Uh...right,” Twilight said, quickly rolling up the parchment and stowing it in her saddle bags, hurrying to leave as she hopped into a steady trot to the far wall.

Starlight, at first, was content to follow. Far too quickly however, the silence bore deeper and deeper into her brain, the still air so quiet it hurt! And, eventually...

“Ok!” Starlight shouted, voice echoing off the distant walls and hallways. Twilight jumped at the noise, whirling around with a panicked expression: one which vindicated Starlight to see.

“Look,” Starlight continued in a gentler voice, allowing Twilight a moment to calm down as she took her own deep breath. “I know this is all my fault, ok!” Starlight said, her voice breaking. “And, I know that you warned be so, I’m just, I-”

“I know,” Twilight interrupted, her voice surprisingly gentle despite the serious mask which still adorned her face. “It’s… alright” she continued, forcing herself to speak past her own misgivings. “You didn’t know-”

“No, Twilight.” Now, it was Starlight’s turn to interrupt. “I… I think I knew what I was doing,” she spoke, choking past sudden sobs at the admission. “I guess, I was just… I was thinking that… I… I’m just a villain, I guess.” Starlight expressed a certain sense of relief at this admission, although this relief did nothing to mask the soul burning hopelessness which seemed to drag her down almost physically.

Twilight sighed with her own sense of resignation. She’d burnt out, she admitted to herself, and, as she was, had nothing she could offer. She was barely holding herself together, and perhaps the mechanical march forward she’d adopted hadn’t helped Starlight’s own issues, Twilight noted.

“You’re not a villain,” Twilight said, confident in her own sense of the truth, or atleast in her own sense that she was too tired to lie. “I mean, at least you’re not anymore. You’ve done things that are wrong, that’s true, but you’re working to fix them now, and I think that tells more about yourself than you realize.”

Starlight didn’t know what else to say beyond that, feeling as if she’d used up all her words in the course of her confession.

Downtrodden as she was, however, as she looked at her hooves and the ground, there, in the corner of her eye, she didn't miss the subtle light which suddenly appeared.

Flicking her ears in curiosity, Starlight found herself looking at a small, leather bound book on a pedestal, hidden out of the way in the cranny of a nearby stone wall.

And, with a flash of the light, she read it. Or, rather, it was read aloud to her.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The flash quickly subsided. Starlight found herself standing in a room, empty except for herself and a tall, friendly mare who sat on the ground nearby.

“Radiant hope!” Starlight announced with a smile, feeling nothing strange about her sudden arrival to this place. On the contrary, she felt as if she’d been planning to come here for as long as she could remember, and she felt as if the mare she was speaking too was a long lost and dear friend she would have traversed the world to speak to.

“Starlight,” the mare acknowledged with a nod of her head.

“What are you doing here?” Starlight asked, amazed and barely able to contain her giddiness as she pranced around the sitting mare with all the energy of an excited foal.

Radiant laughed, “I’m glad to see you too, Starlight. But, as much as I appreciate your company, time is of the essence, and you must remember.”

And, despite the circumstances, Starlight did remember.

Slowly, the cogs turned and the questions arose and Starlight found herself getting woozy at the rush of context and increasingly pressing dread which forced her to sit down.

“Why… did you bring me here? Where’s Twilight?” Starlight asked in a tired voice, bringing a hoof up to massage her temple as she did so.

“I summoned you here because you are facing a great danger, Starlight, and you are the only one who has any hope of stopping it, though you do not know it. ”

“What do you mean?” Starlight asked.

Here Radiant answered, speaking her husband’s name with down turned eyes and that same, profound sadness which highlighted her voice whenever she remembered him. “Sombra,” she said, “what do you know of him?”

“Uh, not much,” Starlight answered, “just that he was the ruler of the crystal empire a thousand years ago, and, uh, ruler of… well, everything, right now.”

“Sombra has many facets to him,” Radiant responded. “However, what you must know is that he is not a pony, not wholly,” she added with another down turned glance.

“What do you mean?”

“Sombra is the result of the experimentations of dark creatures known as the Umbrum. They created him so that he might act as their agent in Equestria and open a portal between our world and theirs, so that they might invade and conquer this land.”

“Uhhh…” Starlight began, not sure where to begin processing that statement.

“I attempted to stop their corruption when I found out about it, but I was too late, and Sombra struck me down in a fit of madness when those… creatures,” she spat, “pried his mind apart to breaking.”

“Right…” Starlight said, not really feeling what she was saying.

“Sombra undoubtedly wishes to attempt summoning the umbrum once again, you must stop him Starlight!” Radiant pled.

“Don’t worry,” Starlight was quick to answer, comfortable now that she was in a position to offer help. “My freind and I, have a plan to make sure none of this even happens in the first plac-”

“Your time machine, yes,” Radiant said with a worried expression.

“Well, it’s more of a spel-”

“Listen to me, Starlight,” Radiant said with an all too serious expression which seemed physically to hold Starlight in place as she spoke. “With Sombra’s magics fluxing in the air, and with the connection of two worlds so near, I am not confident that your spell will work as expected.”

“Wha… what do you mean?” Starlight asked, disbelieving.

“You have noticed the clouds blotting the sky, yes? And you have noticed them growing darker?”

Starlight remembered suddenly the starkly still and electric atmosphere which had greeted her outside of the library.

“Are… you saying that was all from one spell!?” Starlight asked, disbelieving.

Radiant could only nod.

Starlight startled from her place on the ground, paced fervently, all the whle muttering to herself about thaumatical energy content and abundant air densities.

“I take it you understand my point, then,” Radiant said.

“Yeah,” Starlight nodded, “it won’t matter if we cast the spell, the air’s too gummed up with magic for it to work right.

Radiant hummed in confirmation, then, gently prodding the suggestion, “It seems then, that Sombra will be your first priority…” tagging her sentence with a questioning pause.

“But, wait,” Starlight turned, “as long as the magic remains unused, it shouldn’t stop us from casting our spell. With the two of us, it shouldn’t be too much trouble to create a cleanspace-”

“That will only remain the case until he completes the summoning, Starlight.” Radiant interrupted, her voice growing stern. “I would not have brought you here over a trifling matter.”

“Well, how long until he does complete the summoning?” Starlight asked, impatient and eager to get her words out.

And just as she had finished doing so, Starlight reared back, scrunching her snout as if just contacting an unpleasant smell as a sudden, foreboding atmosphere moved her to glance wearily at the space above her head.

Even within the empty sky of the dream-space, she felt a sudden chill rain down which stabbed at her bones, intesifying as she watched the lightness of the space become consumed with a growing darkness.

“Oh, my dear,” Radiant whispered, “I fear he already has.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sombra was never once sure what it would be like once he’d summoned the Umbrum.

He imagined, at times, that he would be content, that it would be as if he’d be made whole and all of his desires and frustrations extinguished by that fact.

As he’d drawn nearer to his goal however, and as decades of war took their toll, his grand hopes and dreams slowly collapsed, leaving him hoping, by the end, only for a restful end, a quiet solitude where he might spend the rest of his days with… he couldn’t even say her name, he noticed, wincing in pain at the realization.

So, it took him by great surprise when the moment finally did arrive, and he stood in his chambers with the umbrum crowding the space around him… how completely and utterly terrified he’d become.

And, it wasn’t the hot blooded fear of death or battle which coursed through him, no; what he felt was something altogether more sinister, something he’d hesitate to put a word or label to.

But, suffice it to say, the moment he gazed upon the empty eyed forms and heard the howling language of the umbrum, he was assaulted with the inexorable realization of the foundation of lies which had, for all these years, been the bedrock of his purpose.

And, in one breath of air, that foundation had come crumbling. He saw now, with horrifying clarity the creatures he had worked for: mindless locusts, who had molded him as a disposable tool for their continual spread.

He saw in the following instant the sham of his supposed nobility, and the constructed sense of honor which had been created only as a yoke by these very creatures to drive him to their ends.

He saw the meaningless essence of his very life and every action, and the banality with which he had been driven to every atrocity.

He saw that nothing awaited him in life now beyond this moment, that his world and empire would be consumed and his memory forgotten, and he saw that nothing, no one, waited for him beyond death, for him who had bartered his soul for nothing.

And at the end of that fell of reasoning, Sombra found himself growing rapidly weaker, his body disassociating and washing over the stone floor like watery smoke.

The umbrum chittered rapidly in conversation above. He felt they were laughing at him.

He didn’t care to respond, simply staring at the ceiling for what felt like ages, finding himself facing the bare stone of his empty room as he pooled together at the floor of his abandoned chamber.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Starlight stalked quietly up the stone steps of the palace, leaving behind the dimly lit library corridors in favor of the complete darkness of the labyrinthine castle they were connected to.

Despite the confusing architecture, Sombra’s quarters were easily found, and Starlight found herself surprised when, upon turning a sudden corner, she found herself faced with the floor way entrance to the underground quarters which held the king.

Startled by it’s appearance, Starlight fell a second too slow in shutting off her horn light, catching in the brief light a glimpse of the resplendent smoke particles that framed the entryway…

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The door shrieked open in the darkness, worn metal scratching against itself and resounding sharply against the cold, stone walls of Sombra chamber. The stone shone dimly with a flickering dark light that found its origin in the wavering cloud that carpeted the floor, seeming to chill the very air by its presence.

“Sombra,” greeted Starlight, as cold and as tense as she would be defusing a bomb. She wasn’t scared, now, however, in fact feeling a great relief to be in the room now that the Umbrum filled the world.

“Ah, the historian arrives,” Sombra said in a hoarse whisper. “Are you here to record my final words? To observe the novelty of my death, perhaps?”

“No,” Starlight answered.

“What for, then?” Sombra asked, “I’ve fallen, and I have nothing of worth to add to the legends of this world, nothing of worth…”

“There won’t be any legends left after today, I’m afraid,” Starlight said, casually. “The Umbrum, they’ve destroyed the statue, and the library, and everything. If anyone survives this, they won’t remember us, and their descendants won’t remember them. I imagine the Umbrum’s dark skies will be all are left.”

“A monument to my failures,” Sombra croaked, seeming exponentially more tired. “I’ve not only lost my empire, but I’ve crumbled the world’s hopes along with it.”

“No,” contradicted Starlight, “the worlds hopes have never lied with empires. They lied with the connections and support of ponies, gryphons and every living thing under the stars. Even if we’re forgotten, that will still persist.”

Sombra was quiet for a beat, seeming to reflect on the words.

“Have you come all the way here to lecture me on my rulership habits?” Sombra asked, an unreadable quality to his voice.

“There’s nothing else to do at the moment,” Starlight shrugged, maintaining that qualified distance to her tone.

“Ahh…” Sombra said, as if in understanding, “you were a supporter of the princesses. It seems I’ve let my senses dull to give you access so deeply into my castle.”

Starlight maintained silence.

“Although,” Sombra Started up once again, a cruel quality to his voice, “I suppose it made no difference in the end. It seems you were too late to save either your princesses or your precious Canterlot. Perhaps if you had struck sooner, you wouldn’t be here in a pointless gambit for revenge.”

“I’m not here to kill you Sombra,” Starlight denied, still maintaining that calm edge. “I just want to talk.”

“About that insipid ‘Power of friendship’ you Equestrians have scaffolded your crumbling society around? I’d rather you kill me,” he said, gaining a bit of energy in his voice. “There is no hope in this world, and there is no power to friendship, only weakness. I have proven it so.” And, despite the certainty of his words, Starlight didn't fail to notice that effect about them which told of his desire for them to be true.

“You’re wrong,” Starlight answered. “Freindship has a different kind of power, one that force alone can never hope to match! It’s never been about magic, or weapons; it’s trust. Your empire gained you followers when you were strong, and you tried to replace trust with fear, and order, and you raised subordinates and armies and held them close to your side, but where are they now? They left because they saw that you were no longer strong enough to keep them there, a friend would have come to you when you were weak.”

“Oh?” Sombra bit back. “And, what did this trust gain Celestia? It still ended rather poorly for her, as I recall.”

“Well, at least she had somebody there when it came time to end,” Starlight answered.

Sombra gave a soft laugh in response. “Look at me, then,” he chuckled, “pooled here with nobody to even witness my death.”

“You have me,” Starlight spoke on instinct, letting go, for a moment, that guarded face she’d maintained for the conversation thus far.

Sombra exploded. Ballistic energies flashed through the room, and the still puddle of smoke flashed into the air with a malevolent hiss. “Enough!” he roared. “I have had enough of your condescensions! You know nothing about me, and all that you do know, unsavory. Do not insult me with your uninspired proposals! I may be weakened, but I am King Sombra, not some desperate, manipulable little foal desperate to grasp onto any passerby’s well wishes!”

Starlight reared back with a startle, wide eyes examining the snarled expression which formed a steadily sharper and wilder image in the hazy mass of black clouds that had risen before her.

“No!” she rushed to explain herself. “That’s not what I meant! I just… I just understand what you’re going through, hard as that may be to believe.”

“A likely story,” Sombra retorted, “lowering himself for the moment.”

“You blame yourself for what happened.” Starlight stated as if reading from a fact book, continuing on, “It feels like a thousand year’s mistakes are falling like an avalanche onto your shoulders and it’s all you can think of how you didn’t stop it from coming to this sooner. You’re too proud to say that you were wrong, or to ask for help, but you’re afraid about what’s going to happen because of you, and the only thing you fear more than your fate is the idea that you might not even deserve to escape it."

It was Sombra’s turn to be surprised. Quickly, the expression in the clouds morphed into a wide eyed disbelief, and then quickly to growing acceptance.

Starlight continued on, saying: “Well, I’m here to tell you that that’s not true. Almost anyone deserves redemption, and, if you don’t, then who better to offer it to you than someone else who doesn’t!”

Sombra spoke softly this time, seeming more alert if still worn weary, “Swell words from a kind friend,” he said, putting particular emphasis on that last word, “but I’m afraid there isn’t much that can be done about my predicament. The Umbrum have spilled over onto this world, there is nothing which can stop them now.”

Starlight only chuckled, for the first time allowing a confident smile to cross her face as she said, with a conspiratorial tone of voice, “well… that’s not entirely true.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The world was hazy and dull, marred everywhere by howling spirits and raging dust storms.

In the near distance, brilliant flashes of violet light cut through the world as Twilight stoutly defended the shattered remnants of the crystal table, pushing and shoving away any of the blind umbrum that wandered too close to her location.

“So,” Sombra reiterated, “as long as you have a clean space around that table, the spell should activate?”

“Yes, probably,” Starlight answered, managing to look away from the skeptical look Sombra shot in her direction.

“Your magic is the source that set off the spell, it should be able to repel it’s effects far more effectively than either Twilight or I could manage,” she added, trying herself to sound confident just as they arrived.

Immediately, Starlight set to work setting up the spell matrix, and around them Sombra’s body formed a shadowy ring, warding away the swirling mass of Umbrum as the interior of the circle grew quickly more clear, retaining far less of that overly crisp, electric sense which had prevailed the atmosphere beyond.

Starlight took a deep, clear breath at this change, noticeably impressed with how perfectly Twilight had prepared the table for binding.

Twilight herself, however, was far less relaxed. Pacing nervously around the table and Starlight, ever so often sending dangerous glances at the incorporeal body of Sombra that surrounded them.

Starlight only shook her head at the display, focusing back on her work. In truth, it was work she’d finished long ago, and now all there was to do was to wait until the thaumatical constant had fallen enough inside the circle for the table to react… if it reacted.

No, Starlight shook the thought away, dutifully checking and rechecking every line and swirl of energy she’d put into the spell. It had to work, she would just have to wait for the sign that the thaumatical constant had fallen enough and all that would be left to do then would be to activate the spell.

And so, they waited. And, throughout the time, Starlight kept rechecking her work, attempting all the while to avert her eyes from the shattered and cracked table that lay before her.

Twilight, meanwhile kept her vigorous pacing, repeatedly muttering to herself, “when’s it gonna show?” And even through her nervous energy, she kept a steady and unfaltering look locked onto the flickering form of Sombra around them, a form which expressed it’s own form of increasing agitation as time passed, wildly straining and roiling against it’s incorporeal confines, as if asking itself when the sign would come.

And, then, suddenly, as if in answer to their prayers, the air cleared.

Starlight found herself surprised when the table glimmered, and even more so when her fore-hooves lit up along with it.

Shooting her gaze upward, she quickly found the source. Up above them, miles high in the air, a circular hole had been cut clear through the cloud cover, and from beyond it sunlight beamed through, shining down onto the table, and onto them.

Starlight closed her eyes in the warmth, a smile lighting her features as she lit her horn and, with a flash, activated the spell.

Opening her eyes, she turned her gaze, taking in the last scenes of the dying world. Twilight stopped her own pacing, stumbling down besides her as she looked round, watching the world and the oblivious umbrum with it, become steadily more and more unreal, dissipating.

And Starlight, in a momentary pause of her jubilation, noticed that Sombra was disappearing along with them.

“Sombra…” she began sadly, not certain of what she could say.

“Do not…” Sombra himself began, pausing at the second word and then looking round at the rapidly disappearing environment before forcing himself to continue. “I… admit that I failed,” he said, “I do not want your pity, I knew that this would be the end for me, nor do I want your accolades, because I know in my heart that my only mistake was in releasing the umbrum...but,” he paused, seeming to strain with the effort of his next words, “I… this, is not a future anyone could wish for,” he said, looking round at the blind mass of screeching umbrum.

Sombra stopped his speech abruptly, not willing to speak any further even as his eyes flickered with the force of his unexpressed words; but, as the world went and the final moments came to a close, Starlight swore that, hidden in the flickering cloud of undefinable expressions, there was just the barest hint of a smile drawn across Sombra’s face; and, oddly enough, she felt assured.