• Published 2nd Oct 2019
  • 231 Views, 0 Comments

Fellow Travelers - ChillyKitty



A story of two travelers

  • ...
 0
 231

Dance

Barter Moon sat still in front of her mirror, she was wearing a lovely, simple dress. It was light blue with black accents and silvery embroidery of stars. It had openings in the back for her wings to comfortably fit through and it was ultimately quite soft, it seemed like it’d be good to dance in.

She tapped her hoof on the ground, staring at herself, like she was waiting for something to change. Rather she was waiting for herself to make up her mind.

She had crafted a plan days ago, as her family and colony prepared for a bittersweet celebration of the Moon Solstice. It was a celebration of the night princess, much like the diurnal holiday of the Sun Solstice was a celebration of the day princess. The day holiday made Barter curious, she’d heard rumors of the outside that diurnals had started calling it the Summer Sun Celebration, celebrating it as the anniversary of Nightmare Moon’s defeat.

All rumors of the outside made Barter curious, oh how she longed to go out there and meet the diurnals, I bet they have so many things to trade. Barter had traded with just about every pony in her colony, the only trades that excited her anymore were the ones from the few travelers who knew of their location. Trusted family friends and such who had usually worked as the day guards while the bat ponies had worked as the night. Sure, Barter had countless pieces of jewelry, countless nik naks, and countless toys. She’d worn countless dresses and ate countless dishes. All of which she had traded for one way or another, but there was nothing left to trade for in her colony that she hadn’t had before.

In her boredom her plan had grown. Her first plan was to just sneak out during the great feast of the Moon Solstice, she wished to see the sunrise again. She had seen it once, the night of Nightmare Moon’s defeat. Her mother had been startled out of her wits when the night lasted too long, only to be cut off by a beacon of light to the moon that left craters shaped like a mare in its wake. Her father had returned from his duties as a night guard a few days later, which was a few days earlier than expected, and he’d brought all of his things with him. He had explained that all of the bat ponies had quit, refusing to work under a creature of the sun.

But that sunrise was beautiful, as she was sure all sunrises would be, it would definitely be worth being scolded on the off chance that she did get caught. Though a small voice in the back of her mind had wondered, what if she didn’t come back to the caves after sunrise? What if she ran off to the great unknown? Living a life of trades and barters with new ponies everyday? That voice had grown louder and louder until it was undeniable that it was what she had to do.

She’d miss Hearth’s Warming, which would be a bummer, but perhaps the diurnals would celebrate it as well. It was a day holiday after all, bat ponies simply adopted it when they’d started their employment under Princess Luna.

With a sigh, she turned to grab a sash, she tied it around her waist, and with that, all of her preparation was complete. For now she would go and dance, when the feast began she would grab her things and rush off into the night, seeing the sunrise for the first time in years.

“Barter!” A voice chirped, struggling to fly up to Barter’s cave. It was the voice of Barter’s younger sister, she recognized it immediately.

“Star.” she called back, jokingly mocking her sister.

Star Swap eventually landed on the ledge, “The dancing’s about to start! Aren’t you coming?”

Barter smiled, she’d miss Star and her brothers, Lightmoon and Brightmoon. “Of course. How do I look?”

“Wonderful!” Star praised, “What’d you trade for it?”

“A number of things, an old watch for the thread, mushrooms for the fabric, an apple for the sash. I sewed it myself but I had Old Mare Knitstitch do the embroidery, in exchange I have to dance with her son tonight.“ She rolled her eyes, causing Star to giggle.

"Well, it was worth it, it’s lovely.” Star said.

“Thank you.” Barter stepped towards her sister, “We shouldn’t keep Nitwit waiting now, should we?”

Star giggled, “I’m sure Knitwish has the patience to wait, but perhaps we could race to make it quicker?”

“You’re on!” Barter said, taking flight and race down to the cave floor, her sister struggling to keep up just behind her.

“Discovery? Discovery Dusk..?”

“Hmm ah- yesh?” Discovery turned quickly the charcoal stick still in his mouth.

“Whatcha drawing?” Sun Flower stepped closer, her mane was braided into a delicate bun that matched the graceful style of the dress she wore. It looked thin and light and almost exactly like every other dress the other mares wore for the holiday.

"Mm.” Discovery quickly drew the last few lines before setting down the stick, “This ladybug, I’ve never been able to get one to stay still this long.” He said, and with almost perfect timing, the ladybug spread it’s wings and flew off.

Sun Flower giggled, “Well, now that you’re done, would you like to dance?”

“You? Want to dance? With me?” He asked jokingly, standing to move his art supplies to a safe rock, it was better than leaving it on the grass.

“In my defense,” Sun smiled as they trotted towards the music, “You are the third pony I asked.”

“Really?” He gasped, “I guess I’m just third best.”

“You’re not.” She clarified, “I just figured you’d want to finish your drawing first.”

“You know me so well.” He grinned.

The warm summer air grew warmer as the two trotted up to the field that held the dancers, performers, and of course, a fire. Discovery turned in front of her, reaching out a hoof. He saw her eyes looking somewhere else.

He glanced at what had caught Sun’s attention. It was a mare and stallion in full swing, dancing their hearts out with joyous smiles on their muzzles. Their names were Scarlet Love and Smoky Arrow and were some of Sun and Discovery’s classmates. It didn’t take longer than a second to realize that Smoky Arrow was likely one of the stallions she had asked to dance.

“May I have this dance?” Discovery asked, making Sun look at him again.

A sad smile showed on her face as she set her hoof in his, “I don’t have a chance, do I? Those two are hopeless.”

Discovery didn’t say anything, he just pulled her into a dance, causing her to giggle. He knew she was right, she didn’t stand a chance with Smoky, but he didn’t want her to think about it right now. He just wanted her to be happy, if only for one dance.