• Published 13th Sep 2019
  • 427 Views, 8 Comments

To Be Without Magic - Amethyst_Crystal



Tempest Shadow struggles with friendship lessons from Starlight & Trixie

  • ...
1
 8
 427

Anti-Magic

Starlight Glimmer walked into Headmare Twilight’s office, humming cheerfully while a stack of paperwork levitated behind her.

“Okay, I got every student to sign the forms for the… oh!” she paused, blinking in surprise, not expecting any visitors at this hour.

Twilight Sparkle beamed a smile from behind her desk, sitting in the fancy head chair. “It’s alright Starlight, come in!” But Starlight focused upon opal eyes, glaring balefully upon her. A huge rose mohawk arched above them. “Fizzlepop and I were discussing possible seasonal activities that she could help the students with.”

The pony formally known as Tempest Shadow turned to regard Starlight. “I’m grateful for the… therapy session you provided. It gave me the opportunity to reflect, to consider what I can give to this school of friendship.” Fizzlepop’s expression was as cold and stern as usual, despite the warmth of her voice, Twilight seeming to provide the beaming happy smile for Starlight’s benefit.

“I’m so happy to hear that!” gushed Starlight, trotting in and setting the paperwork aside. “What were you considering to teach the students?”

“Anti-magic training,” Tempest glared extra hard at Starlight, taking her off guard. “Defensive and counter-offensive tactics when confronting a hostile magic-wielding opponent.”

Twilight laughed a bit nervously. “It’s an interesting idea, and we do have physical education classes, but I haven’t actually considered actual combat training for a school of friendship...”

“You should,” grunted Tempest. “Friendship means nothing if it can’t be protected, and that means each student protecting themselves too.”

Both Starlight and Twilight were silent, shuffling an awkward hoof, tapping the desk and looking away. Tempest sighed deeply after a moment. “I won’t apologize. You two may be heroes of Equestria, but you are as soft as any other pony.” She stood up, walking towards the door. “Let me know if you change your mind,” she grumbled over her shoulder to the Headmare.

Starlight hesitated, then stepped into Fizzlepop’s path. “Wait! I do think it’s a good idea!” she ignored Twilight’s worried look, focusing on Tempest’s irritated frown. “Self-defense of any sort is good, even for peaceful creatures! But, what do you mean by ‘anti-magic’?”

“I trained myself to become physically powerful, to compensate for my… lack of magical ability,” Tempest allowed her broken horn to crackle sparks ominously. “I was resentful towards creatures who could cast magic, especially those who used it for their own selfish gain. I have defeated many magical beings over the years, growing into a skilled mercenary of anti-magic.”

Scoffing and making a dismissive hoof gesture, Starlight failed to curb her arrogance. “Well, you may have triumphed over decent magic-users, but obviously you haven’t fought anyone like me.” She caught Twilight putting hooves and wings to her face, just as Tempest’s scowl deepened with fury. A fragile, sheepish grin crept up Starlight’s face. “Eheheh… although, it’s not like I need to prove anyth-”

“Just because you serve at this school of friendship, doesn’t mean your magic is without fault,” Tempest snapped, a sneer on her lips.

Starlight puffed up her chest, feeling insulted. “What is that supposed to mean?”

Tempest prodded Starlight, her chest deflating. “I mean I know about the cruel and wicked things your magic has done to ponies. I mean that you should learn to be more humble about your gifts like Twilight,” she gestured behind her back, the alicorn princess flailing her arms in dismay.

Starlight gritted her teeth and snapped, “How dare you! I have proven that I have changed my ways many times over, and I gladly put my magic to good use for friendship and peace!” She got up close, their noses touching. “Who are you to judge me, when you’ve been ransacking your homeland only a few moons ago!”

Tempest stomped her hoof down, her horn crackling with dangerous energy. “At least I didn’t try to tear the very cutie mark off of ponies! At least I didn’t pretend to be equal and crush those who weren’t!”

Starlight felt tears in her eyes, wiping her face unashamedly. “If you had sooo many problems with me, why didn’t you confront me about it in my office? Why humiliate me in front of Twilight instead? Did she just now tell you about all this?”

Twilight was groaning and hiding under her wings, trying to pretend she wasn’t there.

Tempest shook her head, “No, I had already learned even before then, but I didn’t bring it up, because you weren’t gloating about your stupid self-absorbed magic!” she shouted angrily, sparks crackled out and lashed out at Starlight, who already had a turquoise reflective shield around her form.

“You want to fight about it now?” snarled Starlight, rage building in her blood, horn glowing deeply. “Then bring it on, broken horn!”

“Enough, both of you!” shouted their princess, teleporting between them, wings spread, knocking them both away onto their backs with a blast of wind. “I didn’t invite you here to pick fights with my teachers, no matter what their past may be!” she scolded Tempest, the red unicorn’s expression softened into remorse for the first time. She tried to speak up, but…

“No, Twilight,” came the other pony’s voice first. “She’s not all to blame. I didn’t do anything to diffuse the situation.” Starlight slowly got to her hooves, looking down. “I should have recognized that gloating about magic was very rude and wrong...” she moved closer to Tempest, reaching out a hoof. “I’m sorry.”

Tempest looked up at the pony who reassured her about friendship only a few days ago, in her cozy safe counselor’s office. She sighed deeply, refusing the hoof, easily and quickly rising up on her own. “I’m sorry too. That was a dishonorable display of fury on my part. I should have heeded your lesson more seriously.”

“Lessons take time to sink in,” offered Starlight gently. “I took awhile to fit in too...”

Tempest contemplated for a moment, looking into Starlight’s icy eyes. “Here are my terms,” commanded the fallen general of monstrous armies. “I will gladly teach anti-magic defense at your school,” she lifted a hoof, and poked Starlight in the chest. “If you have the nerve to face me in battle first.”

Twilight kept mouthing ‘no’ in the background, sweating nervously. Starlight gave a heavy sigh, weakly smiling. “Sure, why not?”

“Because you might regret it,” Tempest warned, invoking a heavy gulp from the pink-purple unicorn. “I will see you tomorrow, on the field outside the school, just as the sun touches the horizon for dusk.” And with that, she walked out, heavy metal horseshoes clanking.

Starlight closed the door with her magic, and breathed a sigh of relief. “Well, that could’ve been worse...”

Twilight swooped down with spread wings, grabbing Starlight’s cheeks in her hooves, nose to nose. “Are you crazy?! Do you have any idea what she’s capable of?!”

Starlight pushed her teacher away. “Well I guess I’ll find out soon?” Twilight did not seem the least bit reassured. “Come on, Twi. It’ll be like when we do our magic combat practice sessions! Only… I guess, with only one pony doing magic?”

“Tempe- I mean Fizzlepop is different. She’s a seasoned veteran fighter for many years, decades even! She is very serious about this sort of thing, and she won’t go easy on you!” Twilight grit her teeth nervously.

Starlight tossed back her mane. “Well, I hope she doesn’t! It won’t be fun then, will it?”

Twilight sighed and gave a small smile. “Alright. Just be careful, and considerate. I don’t think she will try to hurt you, but she might not know her own strength...”

Starlight rolled her eyes. “Okay, I get it, she’s incredibly powerful, I’m incredibly weak.”

“That’s not what -”

“I know, I know.” Starlight smiled and patted Twilight’s shoulder. “Don’t worry so much!” she insisted, before walking out herself.

Twilight went back to her desk and sighed. “Great, two of my ex-arch-enemies, off to do a training battle. Why don’t I feel that reassured?”

Spike finally spoke up from the corner of the room. “Uh, because they’re both really powerful reckless unicorns?”

Twilight couldn’t help but giggle. “That they are.”

Spike moved close to Twilight, putting a reassuring claw on her flank. “Don’t worry about them. They both want what’s best for the school of Friendship!” he declared, giving a big toothy smile.

Twilight sighed softly. “I know. I just hated to see them hurt each other like that...”

“They just needed to blow some steam,” Spike frowned, shrugging, the little dragon rarely impressed when ponies bicker. “They’re grown mares. I’m sure they’ll work it out.”

Twilight nodded, turning in her chair to look out the window, at the huge field for friendship activities outside the school, Ponyville further off in the distance, her own castle close by. Soon it would become a field of battle, a friendly one at least? “I hope so, Spike… for their sakes.”