• Published 7th Feb 2023
  • 583 Views, 32 Comments

Armored Core: Mutare Ad Custodiam - Zeroraid



When Celestia denied Sunset her destiny, the young mare left her side, intending to obtain what was rightfully hers. She believed the mirror portal would lead her on the path towards it... what she found was a world unlike anything she had ever seen

  • ...
1
 32
 583

2

The smell of smoke and debris was so strong that the Raven could taste on his tongue. Honestly, he wasn’t all that surprised. This seemed to be the smell and taste that followed every job he went on, and something told him he wasn’t the only one who tended to pick it up.

Regardless, the Raven took the time to finish unstrapping his helmet and pulling it of, all so he could get some fresh air and take care of the sweat that was gathering upon his head. As it stood that was all he could take care of without stripping down to his underwear.

Even with the radiator running perfectly, it always got so damn hot in his AC.

"Just something you have to put up with…" The Raven reminded himself as he took a breath, sucked a bit of that smoke and debris as he settled down on the foot of his AC. As it stood the towering entity was hunched over a bit, and 'sleeping'. There were some new scratches and dents decorating its chassis but it was nothing it's Raven had to worry about right now. Instead his attention was directed forward at the group of soldiers being corralled towards a wall as another set trained rifles on them.


Public execution.

Those two words echoed out into Sunset's mind as she found her eyes glued on the sight before her. She'd read about these kinds of things once, she'd read about when enemy soldiers and deserters would be lined up against and put to the sword. The act never interested her, but even she couldn't deny that some kind of morbid curiosity kept her eyes glued to the display before her. That curiosity, as appalling as it was, kept her gaze directed on the sight, wondering exactly how they would go about this.

And yet before she could even blink, it was over.

Sunset almost jumped at the crack of thunder then came out of nowhere. She looked around, darting left and right before her attention turned to the soldiers that had been lined up.

Soldiers that were now laying unmoving on the ground.

“What?” The disguised mare muttered. “That’s it?” She realized. The executioners just stepped up to the bodies and seemed to check for something.

A second clap of thunder rang out into the distance.

'No speeches…' Sunset thought to herself. 'No explanation of their crimes… no jeers from the crowds, no… nothing.' She thought. "Just a swift, merciless execution." She ended in a whisper. She wasn’t sure how to feel about that. She’d seen those few times Celestia had been forced to judge a person for their crimes, and even then such things ended in imprisonment rather than execution, but… “They didn’t even get a chance to explain themselves. They just executed them… like they had already decided what the verdict was.

Honestly, Sunset felt a taste of fear run through her, but at the same time she felt a sense of - dare she say it, respect.

She was no military general or anything of the sort, but she understood the idea behind dealing with traitors to the crown. Though such events had only occurred in Equestria’s troubled history, she knew how most threats to her homeland were treated with imprisonment or banishment. Honestly, her studies and more private thoughts on the matter caused her to develop a distaste for such things. No matter how great the prison might be, the walls and the seals only lasted so long. Likewise, banishing a wicked soul did not mean they would stay ‘gone’; they could return in years time, and she doubted they would have just been sitting on their hooves in the meantime. Execution to the enemies of the crown made terrible sense to her. It meant that threat was dealt and wouldn’t rear its head again.

So yes; Sunset felt a degree of respect wash over her as she saw the conclusion to a swift and decisive execution, as it ended a threat that could rise back up and be problematic to these… creatures.

Whatever these creatures were.

She turned her attention towards the unformed set, though her attention was mostly focused on one in particular. An older one, she guessed male who had spent their time overseeing the execution before his attention was stolen by a soldier or perhaps an officer. They talked for a bit, though the other handed them what looked like a thin… stone tablet.

‘That one has to be in charge…’ Sunset thought to herself, as the figure nodded their head and started walking somewhere, towards the two iron giants that had not only started this battle but survived it as well. “Their uniforms are different.” She noted as she just took the moment to watch them. “Are they like specialists or…”


“You two did good work here.” Commander Hoenheim stated, his voice practically rumbling as he addressed the two Raven’s who at this moment were sharing a drink. “You thinned their forces quite a bit before we managed to arrive.” He admitted. “I thank you for that.”

“There’s no need for thanks.” The older raven stated as he drank from his water bottle. “We were just doing what we were paid to do.”

“Of course.” The Commander stated, acknowledging the Raven’s words. “Speaking of which, as per completion of our contract, the agreed upon Coam has been directly wired into your respective accounts.” This time the Raven didn’t say anything, instead his attention suddenly turned to his younger counterpart as he seemed to check something on his phone.

“It looks like we’re good.” He stated. “Money’s there, plus a little extra.”

“Well, we were promised a bit extra for the AC’s we took down.” The older Raven reminded him. “Either way, it was a… pleasure, commander.”

“Likewise.” The Commander agreed. “I take it you’ll be heading out now?”

“Got no reason to stay any longer.” The Raven admitted. “Jobs done after all.”

“I see, well then till we cross paths again.” The commander stated as he turned towards his troops and started heading off.

“Hold on.” This time it was the younger Raven’s turn to speak up. “What’s going to happen to the people here?” He asked and the Commander did this half turn to face the young Raven.

“The Migrants will be taken into custody and transported to The Sphere. From there they’ll be processed and brought into the refugee workforce.”

Fancy words for slave labor.’ The Raven thought as he nodded his head and glanced towards the Migrants, the people who were unaffiliated with any of the powers that be. Honestly Leaving them to be processed and brought into The Sphere’ workforce left a bad taste in his mouth, but it wasn’t like he could do anything about it. Well he ‘could do’ but that would cause more problems than anything. “I see.” He muttered as he started scanning the migrants, noting that each of them were being brought together and corralled towards one of the transports. Fr a brief moment though, his eyes caught sight of someone staring in his direction. Girl maybe around his age, with red and orange colored hair that kinda looked like bacon in all honesty. Their gazes didn’t lock or anything like that, the world didn’t ‘slow down so that they could capture the moment or anything of the sort. Instead it seemed that the moment she realized he was looking in her direction she turned away.

He didn't really question it, just shrugged and decided to let it go. Although he did notice that the Commander was taking a moment to glance in the direction he had glanced at. A second later he looked away, attention returning to the Ravens as he just nodded his head and started off.

“You’ll take care of them… right?” The young Raven asked as the Commander again looked back at him.

“Of course.” And with that he left, heading off towards the gathering as the Raven just frowned. His older counterpart just smacked him in the back of the head with his water bottle.

“Hey!”

“Get that look off your face.” The older raven muttered as he took a drink from his water. “Know you're worried, but whatever happens to these guys isn’t our call.”

“I know, I know.” The younger of the two mutters as he scratches his head. “It’s just… leaving them hits a little close to home, you know.”

“I hear you.” The older Raven admitted as he turned his attention towards the horizon. “Anyway, you plan on heading to Steelwaters right?” Want me to accompany you there.

“Nah.” The younger raven shook his head. “While I do appreciate the gesture, I’ll have to pass. After all you’re heading in a completely different direction.” He admitted. “You tagging along with me would mean you got a whole extra trip to make.”

“Fair.” The Older Raven muttered, attention shifting to the migrants being pushed along. “Sure you’ll be alright though, you know how it is when you're out there in the middle of nowhere with no one to watch your back. A lonely AC is easy prey.”

He wasn’t wrong. The younger Raven had taken advantage of that fact on more than one occasion.

“I’ll be fine.” He stated and his older counterpart just nodded his head before walking over to his AC.”

“Well, if you're sure.” The man stated as he strapped his helmet back on. “Anyway, I’ll catch you later kid.”

“Later.” The Raven stated before raising his hands to his lips. “Make sure the next contract you want me to help out on offers a bigger cut.” He got a laugh sent his way.

“We’ll see kid, we’ll see.” The young Raven just smiled and nodded his head before looking at his AC.


The transport that she’d been pushed onto felt too damn big. It was nothing like what she was used to seeing, the carriages practically microscopic in comparison to these things. Regardless, Sunset stuck near one of the walls, hooves… limbs crossed as she scanned her surroundings. There were a lot of people here, so many that she couldn’t quite begin counting, beyond that though she couldn’t see any creatures in uniforms. They seemed to have just led them into this transport and locked the door on them. Honestly she couldn’t even see the damn door anymore.

“What kind of transport is this?” Sunset muttered.

They’d been traveling for a while now, exactly where though was a question she couldn’t really answer. No windows or anything of the sort was giving her an idea on what was going on outside. She wasn’t even sure if the sun was still up.

“AJ, I’m scared.” A weak murmur called out as Sunset looked around to find it.

“Ah know Bloom…” Another voice whispered in this thick southern accent. “Don’t worry, I won’t let anything happen to you.”

“I know sis but…”

“I know.” There was a brief silence. “Where are they taking us?”

“The Sphere.” Sunset found the voices not that long after the word was said, and her attention found itself focusing on a pair of girls that - from the sis comment earlier- were sisters. Without a word started walking towards the pair.

“Excuse me.” She drew the pair’s attention.

“Oh… hey there.” The older girl muttered. “Sorry if we’re bothering you. Bloom here is just a tad scared is all.”

“It’s fine…” Sunset muttered as she looked at the older girl… AJ was it? “Sorry but I was kinda eavesdropping, where did you say they were taking us?”

“The Sphere.” ‘AJ’ muttered with some obvious distaste as she got to her feet. “Yeah these guys are likely taking us there.”

“You sound like you don’t want to go there.”

“Ya think?” AJ scoffed as she stared at Sunset for a moment. “Sorry, just… aint nothing good come out that city.”

“You’ve been there.” AJ shook her head.

“Nah, heard stories though.” AJ admitted. “That’s all I need really.” Sunset raised an eyebrow but it quickly disappeared.s

“Well, what have you heard about it?”

“Nothing good.” AJ repeated before looking at the one in front of her. “Curious as to why you asking me though, surely you probably heard the same things I have.”

“Sorry I’m…” Sunset paused. “Not from around here.” Sunset looked at AJ and AJ returned the look.

“Well… you certainly don’t look like anyone I seen back in Canterlot, an we Apple never forget a face…”

“Apples?” Sunset didn’t mean to make it sound like a question. “Like the fruit?”

“It’s a family name.” AJ stated as she smiled. “I’m Applejack though everyone likes to call me AJ, and this here is my little sis Applebloom.”

“Hi there.”

“Hey there.” Sunset stated. “I’m Sunset Shimmer.” Applejack held out a hand and Sunset just stared at it for a moment before extending her own. Applejack took it.

“Pleasure to meet ya.” Applejack released her grip a moment later and Sunset had to resist either shaking or massaging her hand.

‘Sweet Celestia, she's got one hell of a grip!’

“So… where you from? You definitely ain’t from Canterlot.” That got Sunset to freeze as she stared at Applejack.

“Canterlot?” She paused for a moment as she started to think back. ‘That city - that ruined city?” “That city was Canterlot?”

“Yeah~” Applebloom trailed on for a moment as she looked at her sister before looking back at Sunset's disbelief. “You were in Canterlot and you ain’t even know it?”

“I… I guess not.” Sunset muttered as she shook her head. She’d… focus more on that revelation later. “I just sort of… wound up there.” She whispered as she coughed into her closed digits. “Anyway…’The Sphere’… what can you tell me about it?”

“You really don’t know do you?” Applejack muttered. “Well, the Sphere this faction of there, one of the big three really, so they got a lot going for em. They got people and they got the supplies to keep em fed and sheltered.” Applejack stated. “That said they’re still tying to get more, more land, more AC, more food.”

“More us.” Sunset turned her attention towards Applebloom who held onto her sister. Sunset felt a pit fall into her stomach.

“They’re taking us as slaves.” She muttered as Applejack rolled her eyes.

“Yeah but they just call em… ‘refugees’.” AJ muttered. “You get food, yet get shelter, and in turn they get to work out of you.” Sunset made a face as she crossed her arms. “Sure, supposedly you can become a ‘citizen’ if you like you but…”

“What’s so great about being a citizen?” Applejack made a gesture with her hand.

“Stuff like papers and ‘rights’ and other stuff like that, leasts that what I hear anyway.” She grumbled.

“So they separate people based on their class?”

“Something like that, yeah.” Applejack muttered. “Citizens are what they really care for, but civilians… just an expendable workforce.” Sunset didn’t say anything for a moment, seeming to think to herself.

"I see…” Sunset muttered as she uncrossed her limbs and put them on her hips. “Thanks for letting me know.” She turned on her heel and walked off, choosing to return to her corner.

Resting against it, Sunset frowned. “The Sphere…” She muttered. She knew where she was going now, still, from what Applejack said she wasn’t going to get far without some kind of Citizenship. “All I have are the clothes on my back, and if I want to move up in this world, I’m going to need to be recognized as something more than expendable… If I can become a Citizen for The Sphere, then I work up from there.” She muttered to herself as her mind flashed back to those machines that had towered over her and everyone else. “I need to find a way to gain control of one of those as well… I can already tell that the power those things wield will be needed in surviving out here…” She told herself. “What are those things anyway? They’re… like a suit of armor, but… I’ve never seen anything like them before…”

“Hey… Sunset?” Pulled from her thoughts, Sunset looked ahead, noticing thatApplejack had made her way over, no Applebloom this time though.

“Yeah, what is it?” Applejack scratched her head for a moment, seeming to think as she looked around before stepping closer.

“You… you’re thinking of trying to becoming a Citizen, ain’t ya?” Sunset blinked as she stared ahead.

“How-”

“Ya need to work on your poker face.” Applejack admitted. “”I could tell right away.”

“I see…” Sunset muttered. “Is that going to be a problem?” Applejack scratched her head again and sighed.

“No, it’s… it’s fine. I can’t tell you what to do after all.” She looked elsewhere. “It’s just… I was thinking about doing it myself.”

“Becoming a Citizen of the Sphere?” Applejack made this panicked shushing noise.

“Not so loud now.”

“I thought you were against The Sphere.”

“I am… but…” Applejack looked elsewhere, her attention turning to see that Applebloom pulled into a conversation with someone. “I gotta take care of her, ya know.”

“Your sister.”

“Ya gotta understand, with Big Mac gone, she’s all I got left. And I can’t gave her treated like some kind thing you just just use on up.”

“You’d want your sister to have a future.” Sunset muttered. “Makes sense…” She admitted before seeming to stare at the girl before her. “Still, you seem to have come to this decision rather quickly despite earlier.” She paused. “You must have been thinking about this for a while.”

“My brother and I used to talk about moving to one of them many territories and getting papers settled.” Applejack admitted. “No lie, I was against the idea myself but, it seems like you get citizenship, you get a chance.” Applejack admitted. “Bloom deserves that. So if they give us a chance to get her getting cleared, I’m gonna take it.”

Sunset didn’t saything, just seemed to think for a moment before nodding. Applejack had a noble reason to get citizenship. Still…

“That doesn’t explain why you're telling me.” That made Applejack start to fidget uncomfortably.

“I uh…” She paused, scratched her head again and lowered her hat over her head. “Look um… I know I ain’t got a reason to ask this, I mean we just met and all but…” She started to mutter. “If I can’t do it, if I can’t get Bloom citizenship could you-”

“Sure.” Sunset cut her off as Applejack looked up at her. “I’ll help out however I can.”

“R-really?” Sunset released this smirk. “You’d do that?” Applejack asked. “For me?”

“Not for you.” Sunset stated as she made a gesture with her head. “For her.” ‘And for me…’ Sunset added mentally. ‘I don’t know how this world works, but I do know this. If I want to move up in the world I’m going to need allies.’ Applejack beamed and hugged the girl. ‘Or at the very least someone to act as a stepping stone.’

“Thank you… thank you Sunset.” Sunset smiled into Applejack’s ear.

“Don’t thank me just yet.”


The Sphere, it stood as one of the largest factions that dotted what used to be North America. Its people fought tooth and nail to get to that position, and they prevailed against whatever adversity was thrown at them.

The Sphere built the heart of their territory on the bones of old Washington, it had expanded over the decades and centuries that it had survived. It swallowed up cities and even a few states, only to be kept in place by some of the other factions out there, not to mention those areas that had been soaked to the bone by Kojima pollution.

Their city in Washington was… massive. A labyrinthine megastructure full of cement streets and buildings that clawed at the sky. This was where the Migrants were brought, although they weren’t really granted a view of the city that they were being transported into. Instead they were brought directly into this particular building and released.

Staring down at those brought before her, a ranking member of the Sphere stood with her hands behind her backs.

“Hello there.”

She began, taking advantage of the speakers to carry her voice where it needed to be.

“I am Administrator Rarity Belle. Allow me to welcome you to your first day as civilians of The Sphere.”

She stated.

“From this day forward your days scavenging as Migrants are over. We will shelter you, feel you, and even provide you with the clothing, in exchange we will be expecting you to earn your keep as refugees.”

No doubt they were already aware of this. Rarity thought to herself. They likely realized what would happen to them once they were gathered up.

“Understand this is a most generous offer as your lives will be given purpose.”

She scanned the gathered with her eyes.

“And know that beyond this, I offer each of you this, the honor of being recognized as Citizen of the Sphere”

She heard a few mutterings and saw fewer heads seem to perk up.

“As Citizens of the Sphere you will be granted a number of privileges, including the right to own land, and financial stability for both you and your families.”

She informed them.

“Those that wish to apply for Sphere Citizenship, please step forward and you will be escorted towards the Citizen Administration Building.”