• Published 7th Feb 2023
  • 583 Views, 32 Comments

Armored Core: Mutare Ad Custodiam - Zeroraid



When Celestia denied Sunset her destiny, the young mare left her side, intending to obtain what was rightfully hers. She believed the mirror portal would lead her on the path towards it... what she found was a world unlike anything she had ever seen

  • ...
1
 32
 583

4

She couldn’t sleep that night. If Sunset wanted to be honest, she’d blame it on the fact that the bed was absolute shit, nothing like her bed back in Canterlot Castle. She’d claim that the streets were more comfortable to sleep on, and she probably wouldn’t be lying. That being said, the bed wasn’t the main reason she was having trouble sleeping tonight. No, what really bothered her sleep was the fact that she couldn’t stop thinking.

Thinking about what exactly; well… it seemed to be everything.

Her brain seemed to be too damn wired for some reason.

“Damn it…” Sunset muttered as she sat up, rubbed the back of her neck and took a needed breath. “I hate nights like this…” She admitted as she got to her feet, grabbed her discarded clothes and put them back on.

“Can’t sleep?” Applejack’s voice called out as Sunset went about putting her shirt back on.

“Yeah.” Sunset grumbled as she looked over to Applejack, noticing that the girl was still in her bed but sitting up while a second lump rested beside her; Applebloom had opted to sleep beside her again. “I’m gonna go get some air, I’ll be back in a bit.” Sunset stated as she glanced at the younger girl before walking off.

“Yall, better not get into trouble out there, ya hear me.”

“I hear ya.” Sunset gave Applejack a lazy thumbs up as she left the shelter provided to them by the Sphere. Stepping outside Sunset made a face, pulled up her hoodie and put her hands in her pockets. It’s cold tonight. It’s not as cold as Canterlot, but given that she didn’t have fur… the cold wind seemed to really ‘bite’ at her. With a sigh the young lady turned, seeming to look around for a moment before deciding which street she wanted to go down.

No lie, she didn’t really have a clue where she was going; as it stood she just wanted to get some air and move around a bit. Maybere in doing so, she’d exhaust herself enough to actually be able to get some sleep.

Hopefully.

Walking down the streets, Sunset couldn’t help frown as she looked around. It’s quiet. Why in Celestia’s name was it so damn quiet? No lie, she hated the quiet; made her feel~ alone, vulnerable even. She hated feeling vulnerable.

With an annoyed grunt Sunset pressed on, pushing the thought away as she did. As she walked she made a mental note of the streets she was passing so she could find her way back.

No point in getting lost in the big city.

Her gaze drifted, turning to some of the shops that were open at this hour. She passed a restaurant where a number of patrons were dining and found her mouth starting to water. Food, good food; it's been a while since she had real good food sent her way. If she kept eating that slag they handed out to the refugees she was certain her taste buds were going to decay.

She wanted real food, not to mention a real bed. She hated that such things were beyond her right now.

"I have to move up in the world." Sunset muttered. "I can't get anywhere if I stay where I am right now." She crossed her arms in thought. "Question is how?" She pressed on. "I need a plan, so far I've been just playing this by ear but if I have a concrete plan set up…" She told herself. "First… there's citizenship with the Sphere. If I can get that I'll at least be able to get out of the refugee shelter… but where do I go after I get citizenship?” She asked with a frown. "Being a citizen is one thing… I'll get real shelter and food, but how do I move up from there?" She muttered. “Those machines… something tells me that I wouldn’t be able to just get a hold of one through a desk job.” Sunset admitted. “More than likely I’d need to join the Sphere’s military.” She made a noise as she put her hand on her chin. “If I could join the military then I’d be taking a huge risk, but if I make a name for myself, then I’d be able to climb the military ladder and maybe even reach this world’s equivalent to the Royal Guard Captain.” She admitted before seeming to think. “There’s also the more safer route of getting into a government position. I’d have to navigate the government officials and if they’re like dealing with nobles…” She trailed off.

Sunset could handle nobles, she’d seen her former mentor Celestia do so plenty of times, and she had been forced to navigate that landfield herself on more than one occasion.

“There’s also… that route.” She muttered in disgust.

Sleeping her way to the top was an option, though admittedly not one that she enjoyed thinking about. Even if she wasn’t against being with someone from an entirely different species, she wasn’t willing to sell her body for her ambition. She wouldn’t stoop that low.

At least, not yet anyway.

“From the sounds of it, option three isn’t a route you want to take.” Jumping Sunset turned, her arm swinging wildly as she did, and only stopped when her arm was caught and laughter filled the streets. “Easy there, Miss. Watch where you’re swinging that thing.” The owner of the voice stated as Sunset looked up, her attention being drawn to a man with long black hair and red eyes.

How the hell did he get so close without her noticing?

“Who are you?” Sunset asked as she pulled her arm free. No she didn’t pull it free, he let her go. “What do you want?”

“Who am I?” The man questioned as he seemed to think. “Ah, it’s been a while since I’ve been asked that.” He admitted with a chuckle. “Gotta say, it’s kinda refreshing actually.” He admitted as he brought his arm out and swiped it to the side, swung it low in a half circle and let it rest on his chest as he bowed. “I am the one who makes dreams a reality.” He states. “Shall I… make yours come true, little sunset?”


The Sphere’s military factory was under lock and key. No surprise there; there’s active patrols keeping an eye out for anything outside the ordinary. Disregard them there’s high walls to keep everything more or less secret from the outside world. No automated turrets though, place was to damn close to the civilian sectors to be deployed. Regardless, this place was difficult to get in and out of, especially for an uninvited Raven.

Military personnel though…

Three soldiers found themselves flashing their identification and were allowed to walk right in. “Huh… that was easier that Trixie expected.” A female personnel muttered, taking the time to adjust her uniform. “Normally we would require much more sneakiness.”

“I know right.” Noble made a noise as he made a gesture to one of the other military personnel to greet them. “Where the hell did Aria get these uniforms?”

“Off a couple of bodies.”

Aria’s voice came across comms as the trio walked on.

“Please tell me they were still warm.” Fluttershy muttered.

“They were when they took them off.”

“Ah~” Fluttershy muttered. “Black widow.” She whispered as she and the others walked forward.

“So everyone remembers the plan?”

“Fluttershy and I get to the new model and extract the data concerning it.” Noble muttered. “Trixie you got cameras.”

“Consider it done.” Noble popped a joint in his neck.

“Alright ladies… lets get this done.”


Food rested before her - real food at that. Sunset wouldn’t say it was the good shit, but it was certainly better than anything she’d gotten her hands on since she came to this world. Just looking at it made her mouth water, which was a bit embarrassing in its own right.

Still there was just one problem…

“Not hungry?” The red eyed man asked with a smile on his face. Honestly, that smile was beautiful, like an alicorn’s… Nightmare Moon’s maybe.

Sunset tore her eyes away from the food resting on the table in front of her as she just stared at the figure across from her.

“You’re kinda drooling, hun.”

“Who are you?” Sunset asked as she crossed her arms and just stared at the man before her. “What do you want from me?”

“What I want…” The man muttered as he seemed to think and look outside the restaurant window to see the outside world. “I want to make your dreams come true, little sunset.”

Sunset narrowed her eyes. He had called her ‘little sunset’ again… and she could tell that wasn’t just coincidence. He knew her name - he knew who she was, that was a red flag if she ever heard one. “How do you know who I am?” The man just continued to smile as he gestured to her food.

“You should eat, hun, you had a long day.”

“I’m not touching it until I get my answers.”

“As you wish, little sunset.” The man shrugged as if he didn’t care and started eating his own food. “Tell me, what would you like to know first?”

“Who are you?”

“A genie.” He stated. “Or maybe a monkey’s paw would be more accurate.” He said more as an afterthought. “You know what it symbolizes, right?”

“Can’t say.” Sunset mumbled. “And you're dodging the question.”

“Am I?” The man chuckled as he started to eat a bit of his food. “Tell me, what kind of answer are you looking for?”

“Name.”

“Dawnbreaker.” He stated. “A pleasure to meet you, Sunset.”

“So you do know who I am.” The former mare muttered. “How?”

“I’ve known about you since you popped up.” The man stated as he took some more of his food. “You sure you don’t want to eat, this is really good.” He asked between bites as Sunset just stared at him before glancing at her plate. Slowly she raised her fork and started to eat. “There we go.” Dawnbreaker stated as he went back to eating. “Never waste good food.” Was the last thing he muttered as the pair ate in silence.

For a while at least.

“Tell me, what is your wish?” Dawnbreaker asked.

“My wish?”

“What do you want in this world?” He asked. “Companions, love, status, power? Name it and I can give it to you.”

“How’s that?”

“I told you, I’m a genie.”

“So you grant wishes?” Sunset muttered. “How many do I get, three like in the stories?” Dawnbreaker did this exaggerated shrug.

“Them’s the rules.” The man admitted. “So what are your three wishes?”

“What makes you think you can grant my wishes?” Dawnbreaker just smiled.

“Something as simple as yours can be granted fairly easily.” He stated, putting his fork down, raised a hand and let it rest against his chin.

“And what exactly is that?” Sunset countered as she crossed her arms. “Humor me, what is it that you think I want?”

“You want what was shown to you that day.” The man stated, a smug look on his face as Sunset’s eyes narrowed. “A pair of wings to mark your ascension.”

The pair fell silent again.

He knew; Sunset realized.

He knew.

Question was how?

Her grip on her sleeve tightened.

“You’re like me.” She muttered. “You’re from Equestria.” Dawnbreaker just continued smiling. “How did you get here?”

“Same way you did.” The man stated returning to his food. “Celestia really needs to put a lock on that mirror.” He mused. “How’s she doing anyway? Still gazing up at the mare on the moon at night?” He asked as Sunset narrowed her eyes.

“You were Celestia’s student too.” Sunset muttered, and got a heartfelt chuckle sent her way.

“I wouldn’t say student, but once upon a time, we were rather close.” Dawnbreaker admitted. “At least until I left in search of new horizons.” He admitted. “Anyway, that’s a different story, we’re here to talk about you.” He admitted. You want your wings; you want to ascend the ranks and rest your feet at the throne. I can give you that if you like.” Sunset didn’t say anything for a moment as she just stared at the man in front of her

“Tempting.” She muttered. “What’s the catch?” She got another chuckle sent her way.

“The catch?” He smiled again. “Oh~ little sunset, you can not fathom the amount of bodies you are gonna have to walk over.”