• Published 3rd Nov 2019
  • 1,297 Views, 29 Comments

Murgröna's Testimony - Powerdrainer



The collective memories of changelings throughout the ages, bestowed upon one.

  • ...
3
 29
 1,297

Change

Edited by Slayerseba, Halusm, and Clawder.

Special thanks to Crepusculo.

Change

<<>><<>><<>>

Elinora, that was her name.

It was strange to be linked to a word. A word given to her. A strange word she had difficulties pronouncing. Yet it was a word with a meaning.

Light.

It was one of the teachers who gave it to her after she made just that: light.

She was the first among all the others of her kin; all of them struggling to learn these strange new ways and methods the ponies called magic. But she did it. She created light.

It was a truly bizarre experience. To feel this strange energy flow from within to her horn. To control it. To guide it. To shape it. To make light.

Yet as strange as it was, no matter how it changed her perception of herself, she knew, felt deep down this ability had always been there. Hiding, waiting.

The first time she succeeded, eyes clenched shut in concentration, teeth grinding together, she felt the shock over her shared mind before she even knew she had done it.

Eyes opening, and seeing the dark green glow shining just above her eyes was startling enough. The small orb of light shining at the tip of her glowing horn even more so.

Both fizzled out the second she reacted; rearing back, front legs flailing, then tumbling back into Buzz, the first-named, and fifth to learn to make light.

Apple Pie had given her a big hug when she learned she had made light.

She liked that. Her hug was warm, full of food. She didn't need to eat for almost two weeks.

But all of that was many cold cycles, no, years ago.

By now, she could make a light at will. And after many more lessons, lift things without touching them.

Most of her family had learned to do these things by now. Some more proficient than others. But all had failed to learn the other lessons the teachers tried to bestow upon them.

But while they weren't able to learn other magic; move the clouds like the pegasi, or connect with the plants like any of the earth ponies could, there were other lessons they were given as well. And now, using the knowledge given to them, they, the other ponies, helped the ponies plow the fields, sow the seeds, harvest the crops and gather wood. Some of them, those who were able to eat and hold down the small bites of baked goods the ponies enjoyed, even learned to bake, helping in the kitchen to bake bread and cake.

And as they grew in skill and knowledge, so too did their family.

For several years now, each new clutch of their mother was larger than the clutch before. The abundance of food the ponies provided ensuring each new life was fed while eliminating the risk of going out to hunt. And as their numbers grew, their home under the rock grew with them.

More tunnels were dug. The process aided by their new abilities, lifting away the dirt and stone with their magic, instead of carrying it on their backs. Some even tried imitating the crafts of ponies by carving some of the larger stones, creating their first forms of art; roughly cut stone meant to resemble the thing they connected the most with, which they proudly displayed in purposely dug alcoves.

And then there were those among them who learned to read. And while the ability to speak was difficult, reading was even more so.

To speak, you make sounds. Sounds were easy: something they all could do from the day they hatched. But only certain sounds made words, and only by creating sounds in a certain order did you talk. But to read, you use these words without sound. Instead, you use symbols. Lots, and lots of symbols. Each with their own meaning. And some of their meaning changed depending on the order they are used, or the combination they are used with others.

It made her head hurt when she first tried, yet there was something curiously enthralling about it, so she continued. Learning a little bit each day; recognizing the symbols, what they meant, how they were used, how to write them herself, and what could be done with them if you used your imagination.

Stories. Words put together to create things that didn't exist. Worlds similar or different to the one she called her own, filled with all manner of creatures; each with their own lives, ideas, and stories to tell. An ever-expanding thread of possibilities that left her awed and dazed the more she thought about it.

And now, with what had become a familiar sight both under the rock as well as in the village, she could be found with her muzzle buried halfway into the pages of a storybook; a gleeful chitter escaping her every now and then, flipping the pages as she was lost in the adventures of fantasy; her amethyst colored eyes flicking from left to right, oblivious to the world around her.

"Ah, the tale of Dented Shield and Rusted Sword. A classic."

With a shriek, Elinora jumped up. Latching on the overhanging branch of the tree she lay under while the book fell to the ground.

A bemused chuckle drew her attention to the elderly unicorn, a stallion with a deep blue coat, while his chestnut brown mane was filled with streaks of gray.

"Mister Guiding Hoof?" Elinora said, by now fluent in their language.

Guiding Hoof, having heard the other ponies speak many times before, still couldn't stop the twitch in his ears over the strange duality of their voices. Even then, he smiled up at Elinora as she clambered down the tree's trunk.

Lifting up the book in his magic, moving it to Elinora, he chuckled once more.

"While I understand the joy of losing oneself in the endless possibilities of the written worlds, it wouldn't do good to forget to look up every now and then and see the world, you, live in yourself. You might just end up forgetting something if you don't."

Elinora gasped, eyes widening.

"My lessons. I forgot."

"As I was saying," he smiled. "You should hurry, everypony else is waiting."

With great haste, Elinora grabbed the book with her own magic and dashed towards the school, ignoring a minor detail as she literally ran the walls, flew over several ponies, landed hard and rolled the rest of the way into the school, coming to a stop upside down against the teacher's lectern.

A chorus of laughter and snickering pulled her focus to the ponies and other ponies already seated in a semi-circle around the lectern, a few books lying open and an assortment of small miscellaneous items on a pile in the circle's center.

"Sorry I'm late," she apologized, slowly rolling herself over. "Wait, where is the teacher?" she asked, then realized the minor detail she missed.

With a hearty laugh, Guiding Hoof entered the room, shaking his head over Elinora's antics.

"When I told you to hurry, this wasn't quite what I meant. But I can't ignore the result either," he took his position behind his lectern. "Now, Elinora. Please join the others so we may begin."

Quickly scrambling to take a seat, Elinora purposely ignored the lingering eyes of the others, while making an honest attempt to keep from listening in to her shared mind. She could clearly feel the amusement leak from it.

"Very well then," Guiding Hoof cleared his throat. "With everypony present, we can begin," he scanned the group before him. "Continuing from last week's lesson. Transmutation. The art of changing one form of matter into another," he began, and Elinora leaned closer to her left side neighbor to share the book he was using. "You are all familiar with the basics by now. The symbols, spell matrix, and what sort of materials work best, and which do not. But even if we are talking about the basics, this is no easy magic to master. Today you will make your first attempt to change an item,--" he pointed at the pile of objects, "--into another. For the ponies here, you have shown the raw talent to learn these practices if you do your best to learn them. For the other ponies, this will be as much a learning experience for us as it will be for you. You have shown an incredible talent to learn all kinds of new things, yet we don't know where your limits lie as far as unicorn magic is concerned," he paused a moment to look at the five other ponies in the room.

"Now, this counts for everypony. Don't expect to succeed the first time you try this, nor the second. As I said, this is no easy magic to master, and you will fail more than you will succeed. But the more you try, the greater your chance of success. You will all choose an item from the pile, then work out the proper matrices. But whatever you do, DO NOT attempt to cast your spell until I have inspected your work. A miscast transmutation spell is bad. A miscast faulty transmutation spell is even worse. So I do not want to see any horns glowing, unless it is to pick something up. Am I clear?!"

A chorus of confirmations quickly came his way.

Still scanning the pages of the book, Elinora already formed the spell matrix she believed to be needed while silently muttering to herself. Once sure she had a good idea what to do, she stood up, moved for the pile and rummaged through the various objects.

Half a minute later, she picked up an old mane brush. She then retrieved a sheet of parchment, a quill and some ink from Guiding Hoof and returned to her spot to begin working.

The next forty minutes were filled with the sound of quills scratching, crumpled balls of parchment tossed aside, and the steady clip-clop as Guiding Hoof walked past the working ponies; looking over their shoulders at their work and offering a point of advice where needed.

Then, one by one, the ponies finished writing and gave their work to their teacher. Elinora and the other other ponies, however, continued working; all of them frowning in confusion and a certain level of frustration.

This went on for another twenty minutes while Guiding hoof inspected the work of those who already completed their spell matrices. Finding several mistakes in each. Yet as he finished inspecting the last of the spells, he noted the other ponies were still busy.

"Are you having any problems?" he asked eventually, moving to Elinora, looking over her shoulder at her work. His eyebrows rising quickly at what he saw.

"It's… wrong," she answered in a mutter.

"Wrong," another other pony said, mirrored by a third.

"What do you mean, wrong?" Guiding Hoof asked, perplexed as he moved to one other pony to the next, looking at their work and seeing the exact same result. "These spell matrices… I have never seen such excellent designs from mere students. I don't see any immediate mistakes either," he picked up one of the parchments. "... Make that no mistake at all," he added in clear awe. "This design. It's perfect," he looked away from the still drying ink, staring at the other ponies as if he was seeing them for the first time.

"It's wrong," Elinora repeated, tilting her head, quill bobbing in her magic as she inspected her work. "Wrong."

Returning the work back to its creator, the other pony resumed his work with the same frustrated tenacity the others showed; a murmur of confused questions beginning to form as the ponies all shared bewildered looks with one another, clearly confused by this strange development.

"Then, could you explain to me what it is that is wrong?" Guiding Hoof asked.

"The spell," Elinora said in a half-whisper. "It's limited, inflexible, locked. It wants to change."

"Yes, transmutation. Changing one matter into another, as it is designed to do."

"No," Elinora shook her head. "The spell wants to change. To change itself. But it can't. It is wrong."

"""Wrong,""" the other ponies repeated, all staring at their work.

Elinora blinked, tearing her gaze away from the spell to look at Guiding Hoof, her eyes full of confusion and in need of an answer.

"It is wrong!"

<<>><<>><<>>

"Transmutation is no easy magic to learn," Radiant Spark, an elderly unicorn mare; her fur a faded yellow, with dark green mane, said. "It would stand to reason they would struggle."

"I am telling you, this was more than just a few students having trouble understanding the lessons," Guiding Hoof replied to the village elder as he paced around before an old, worn oak table. Seated behind were the village elders, two mares, three stallions.

"Very little is known about the other ponies. We have found no mentions of them in any of our records," Calm Drizzle, one of the stallions, replied. A brown hoof stroking a gray beard before he shrugged his wings. "So we can only work with the knowledge we have gained through our interactions with them.

"True," the Earth pony seated next to him agreed with a nod; a short horn poking past lilac curls partially covering his eyes. "And we know how they react when faced with lessons they have difficulties with. "And this," Granite Hoof waved a hoof towards Guiding Hoof, "is not something we have seen before."

"It was strange, though," Guiding Hoof continued. "The other ponies have demonstrated to be unable to use pegasus magic. The same goes for earth pony magic. And while they have shown to be able to learn unicorn magic, before we taught them, none of them even knew how to create light."

"As we all know," one of the mares, a light pink pegasus named Morning Dew, replied. "What of it?"

"None of them knew magic until we taught them. And none of them knew how to transmute matter until we began our lessons. Yet every single one of them created a perfect spell matrix. Not a single flaw in their design."

"So they have a talent for transmutation magic," Radiant Spark replied. "This is certainly a noteworthy development."

"It probably has something to do with their ability to communicate without speaking," Granite Hoof surmised. "It does give them a certain advantage, and most certainly allow them to compare notes, so to speak."

"And yet, every single one of them agreed that the spell was wrong. I know it isn't. I tried every single spell they made. They all worked flawlessly. Yet even doing this, all they could say, it is wrong."

"So they don't understand the more intricate levels of this kind of magic," Lemon Tart, one of the elders who had remained silent up until now suggested, grabbing one of the designs lying on the table with a hoof. "I must admit, I am no expert either. Being an earth pony makes it difficult to understand this sort of magic, but even I understand the complexities involved with works such as this."

"And that is the thing," Guiding Hoof stopped pacing, looking at all the elders seated before him. "The way they spoke. The way they looked. They didn't act in a way that would suggest they didn't understand the lesson. Instead, they acted as if they knew something I didn't. Except they themselves don't know what this is either. The entire time they were working on fixing their work, saying over and over again that it was wrong. And, frankly, I'm beginning to believe them."

"What!?"

"It is as said, we know very little about them. And while there are some similarities, there are many more differences. We do refer to them as other ponies, do we not? While magically limited in certain areas, maybe…. maybe this magic is part of them, somehow?"

"You mean their special talent? Transmutation… all of them?" Calm Drizzle said, shocked.

"No, not transmutation. They have shown to be capable of creating the spell required, on the first time, yet they say it is wrong. What I think, what I am beginning to believe is that their work on this spell… this magic… it called to them."

"It called to them? For what?"

Guiding Hoof began pacing again. "We are three tribes of ponies. Earth ponies, pegasus and unicorn. Each with our own place and magic in the world. With earth ponies connecting with the ground and plants. Pegasi controlling the skies. And unicorns shaping the world through magic itself. And of course, there are the princesses. But then we discover the other ponies. They resemble us in form, to some extent. And while not versed in the magic of earth and sky, they have demonstrated the ability to use unicorn magic. But this… this may very well be their calling. A fourth tribe. A tribe whose shared skill is linked to transmutation magic."

An uproar was the answer, all the elders jumping up to shout over one another.

"If what you are suggesting is even remotely true," Lemon Tart shouted louder than the rest, "this will change everything we know about."

"I am well aware," Guiding Hoof shouted back. "But if I am right, wouldn't it be up to us to help the other ponies find their place in the world? And would it change anything of how we interact with them now? They have lived peacefully with us for several years. They have shown to be capable learners. And now they may have shown their place beside us. Not as other ponies, but as the fourth tribe."

"This… This may very well change everything."

"Yes," Guiding Hoof nodded. "A fourth tribe. A tribe of change."

"But how can we be sure?" one of the mares asked.

Before any of them could voice a reply, the parchments with the other ponies' spell design began to glow a familiar shade of green, then levitated up towards the ceiling where, unnoticed up until now, Elinora and the other other ponies hung upside down.

"It's wrong," they said as one, grabbing their designs in their mouths, then scurried away through an open window.

"I think," Guiding Hoof said after a moment, locking eyes with Elinora as she was the last to leave. "We're going to find out soon enough."

<<>><<>><<>>

Life under the rock had changed.

Before they would all work to dig more tunnels, carve the stone in new shapes, practice their speech, look after the nymphs, or busy themselves with all manner of tasks.

Now, every other pony was focused on one thing, and one thing only. The many signs, symbols and glyphs dug in the ground. A perfect copy of the design Elinora and the other other ponies had made during their class.

They had rushed back with their work, already conversing with the others through their shared mind, and all had worked tirelessly to solve this mystery.

Sitting, standing, and hanging on the ceiling of a newly dug chamber large enough to hold their increased numbers, the other ponies all looked at the massive design, all agreeing upon one thing. It was wrong.

Their mother lifted up a sizable chunk of rock and placed it in the design's center.

Eight horns lit up.

The spell reacted, all symbols burning the same color green, and in a flash, the rock changed from dark gray to gold.

Their mother lifted the changed lump from the ground, then tossed it on a pile of similar changed stone.

A new chunk of stone took its place, and ten horns lit up.

There was a flash, and the stone had changed.

The chunk of silver was tossed on the pile.

A new piece of stone was placed in position, and fifteen horns lit up. Then, eighteen. Twenty four. Thirty. Fifty. All of them.

Every time the rock changed, the pile grew, and all of them knew. It was wrong.

Again their mother picked up a piece of stone, moving it to the small dent that had formed in the ground when a sudden burst of magic halted the stone in the air.

All eyes turned to Elinora, her horn aglow as she looked at the spell with narrowing eyes.

"... Change…" she murmured, leaving her family in confusion as she had blocked off her shared mind.

Slowly standing up, she looked at her mother, then back at the spell. Then, startling all, she moved to the spell's center, circling on the spot for a moment, then looked back at her mother.

"Change… me."

Shock moved through the shared mind like a tidal wave, the stone their mother held falling to the ground, fortunately not hitting any of them. But then, as sudden as their shock was, it vanished even faster. All of them blinked, looked at the spell, then at Elinora.

"Change," they all spoke as one.

Without another sound, their horns lit up, the spell activated, and a flash of light consumed Elinora.

Long seconds ticked by, and all stared unblinkingly at what had happened to Elinora.

Elinora, at the same time, was busy inspecting her own body.

"Nothing has changed," she said eventually. "It is wrong."

<<>><<>><<>>

It had been almost two weeks since the spell had taken over under the rock. All other ponies worked with a single-minded focus on solving that which was wrong, but failing every time.

Only the most important of tasks were still carried out, but only by a small number of them. Just enough to feed and watch over the nymphs, while everypony else could be found in the chamber they engraved the spell into the floor.

New tunnels had been dug, leading to new chambers with more spells on the floor. Each with slight variations to the original spell, using the stone they had dug out while making these tunnels and rooms to test each new variation.

All of them were wrong.

One of the other tasks still carried out was the removal of all changed stone. And a steady line of other ponies moved back and forth to remove the unwanted items from under the rock. And now, a near literal mountain of gold, silver, platinum, copper, iron, and even diamond chunks of various sizes lay just a stone's throw away from the rock

Carrying yet another chunk of stone turned iron in the green glow of her magic, Elinora climbed up the slope leading outside of the rock.

A gasp drew her attention, and a familiar colored blur slammed into her.

"THERE YOU ARE!" Apple Pie cried out as she looked at her friend. "Where did you all go?!"

"And where did this mountain of precious metals come from?" Guiding Hoof asked. Though the tone of his voice indicated he had a very good idea what the answer would be.

Elinora looked at the young mare still holding her in a tight hug, then at Guiding Hoof, then at the large gathering of ponies behind him; all staring wide-eyed at the chunks of changed stone, most with their mouths hanging open.

"The spell," she said, tossing the iron on the pile. "It is wrong."

Two more other ponies stepped out from under the rock, both tossing a sizable chunk of silver halfway onto the pile. One of them tumbling down and coming to a stop before the group of ponies where they watched it wobble in place.

"And what did you use to test the spell?" Guiding Hoof asked.

"Stone," Elinora replied.

"You mean that this entire time you have been trying to solve this spell, you managed to transmute mere stone into… into all of this?!" Guiding Hoof pulled a hoof through his mane. "Gold, silver, copper… and is that diamond? This… such a change requires incredibly precise and powerful magic and a perfect understanding of transmutation. Only true masters of the craft could do such a thing, and even then they would fail more often than succeed," he looked back at Elinora. "How many times did you fail?"

Elinora blinked, then looked at the pile.

"I see," Guiding Hoof murmured. "Let me rephrase. How many times have you tried to change something, but were unable to change it?"

"Once," she answered. "When we tried to change me."

"YOU WHAT!?" Guiding Hoof shouted, taking an involuntary step back, shocked.

"It did not work. It is wrong."

"You mean you tried to transmute yourself?" he asked. Elinora nodded. "That is insane. That is absolutely insane," he began pacing on the spot. "Transmutation magic is not meant to be cast on living beings. The results are always catastrophic. But you say you did cast it on yourself, and nothing happened. That is impossible, and-" he came to a sudden stop, looking into the distance with unfocused eyes. "And… but… no… but what if…" he looked back at Elinora. "Why did you try to transmute yourself?"

Elinora cocked her head, blinked, then looked at the pile of shining metals. "Change."

"Apple Pie," he said, looking at the young mare still holding Elinora in a tight hug, "Could you please let go of Elinora."

"Why?"

"Because I think I know what is wrong with the spell," he replied, Elinora perking up noticeably as he said so. "But I need to see what they have done before I can be sure."

With reluctance, Apple Pie let go of Elinora who wasted little time leading Guiding Hoof under the rock; other other ponies already clearing the way as the two moved past; followed by several more ponies, including Apple Pie, seconds later.

<<>><<>><<>>

"Incredible," Guiding Hoof awed, looking at the intricate design engraved into the ground. "This is far more complex than the spell you originally made," he then looked at the many tunnels leading towards adjacent rooms, seeing the clearly recognizable outlines of even more spells thanks to the light provided by the numerous other ponies.

The next few minutes he moved from one room to the next in silence, studying each new variation of the spell until he returned to the original, all under the watchful and eager eyes of the other ponies.

"You are true masters of transmutation magic," he said finally. "Able to create such complex spells after only learning about them so recently. And they work flawlessly as far as I and the evidence piled up outside can tell."

Elinora, having remained close to him this entire time, looked down at the spell, confused.

"But, it is wrong."

"Yes it is," he agreed with a knowing nod. "And I know now what, because you told me you tried to change yourself. This is a transmutation spell, not a transformation spell."

Looking around, and finding a free spot on the floor, he proceeded to etch a new spell in the stone.

"This, however, is," he said as he finished, stepping away so the other ponies could see. "This spell would allow the caster to transform the appearance of items, or themselves into something completely different."

"But isn't that the same as transmutation?" one of the ponies from the village asked, standing at the front of the group holding position in the main tunnel.

"No," Guiding Hoof countered. "While sounding similar, transmutation changes the physical properties of an item through and through. Transformation magic is different in that it changes to outwards appearance, while the true properties of that which is changed remain the same. Even then, it is still a highly complex spell to perform and- wait, hold on," he was pulled out of his lecture when he noticed the other ponies were busy working on the original spell; erasing whole sections, then carving new symbols in accordance with the rough sketch Guiding Hoof had made.

Taking a few steps back as more other ponies rushed by, Guiding Hoof and the rest of the ponies watched in silent amazement as the other ponies worked together in a way they themselves never could.

For almost twenty minutes the other ponies worked on the new spell, then, with seemingly unnatural synchronicity, they all moved away; revealing their work to the ponies while standing in the design's center, Elinora looked back at them.

"Wha- You… you combined the spells!?" Guiding Hoof gasped out, shocked, slowly looking up from the spell to Elinora standing in its center. "Tha- you can't just do that. There is no telling what might hap-" he was cut off when Elinora lit up her horn, the spell reacting in kind.

"It is right," was all she said and, in a burst of light, green fire rose up from the ground, consuming her completely.

<<>><<>><<>>

She could feel it, the thing she and all the others of her kin were looking for. She recognized it the second the spell washed over her: Change.

The sensation was strange, indescribable, yet oh so familiar on a deep, instinctual level that she embraced the sensation as her true self as she finally awoke. The spell a mere catalyst, bringing forth that which had always been there. A power dormant, rough, unrefined, until now. The little warmth of the magical fire comforting as she felt it washed over her.

And then she could feel the ponies… No, something more. She could sense them. Sense them with the same strange ability first discovered when she found the ponies and learned to feed off them. The ability to feel their emotions. But where at first this ability was unknown, confusing, now she could sense them in such clarity she could tell each and every one apart just from the way they felt. And right now, they all shared the same emotion: Fear.

The feeling was foul, and a shudder went down her spine.

The fires dimmed, she could tell even with her eyes closed, and she could sense the slowly rising confusion and relief coming from the ponies while her shared mind was silent in awe.

Slowly she opened her eyes, and she looked at those around her; all of them transfixed on the slight luminescent gleam now present in them.

"Elinora?" Guiding Hoof slowly took a step to her. "Are you… are you alright?"

Elinora perked up, standing tall, wings spread as she smiled broadly. "IT IS RIGHT!" she proclaimed loudly.

The effect of her words hit like a tidal wave, all other ponies rushing towards her; speaking in a strange mixture of words, chirps, and shared thoughts.

"ELINORA!" Guiding Hoof shouted over the loud buzz of near hyperactive other ponies.

Everything went very quiet, very fast, everyone turning to look at Guiding Hoof as he slowly pushed his way through the mass towards her.

"Please, what is right? What happened… to you?"

"Change," Elinora answered.

"You changed?"

"No," she shook her head. "I am change," reaching out to her newly awakened power, knowing what to do; having always known how to do it, a burst of green flames consumed her and Guiding Hoof looked at a smiling mirror's image of himself.

<<>><<>><<>>

Almost a month had passed since her change, and now all other ponies had used the spell, except the nymphs.

It had been a confusing time, mostly for the ponies, as the other ponies learned to use their newly discovered abilities, and found a great practical use for pranks while doing so.

It was quickly agreed upon nopony would ever speak of the week of doubles once they had finally figured out who was who, after the other ponies had changed back to their own selves, only to change into somepony else once the ponies looked away.

Elinora chuckled as she remembered how she and several others ran through Yoke, changed into Apple Pie on the first day of the week nopony would speak of, before her attention was brought back to the village elders.

All of the village and other ponies were seated around a stage on which the elders stood. Guiding Hoof was present as well, as was she herself; the first to change.

"Everypony," Radiant Spark called for attention. "As you all know, a lot has happened this last month with the other ponies. Thanks to Guiding Hoof's effort," she motioned a hoof at the mentioned stallion. "And the other ponies' incredible talent for transmutation magic, they have discovered their true potential. Of course, such a feat is reason enough for celebration, but in doing so we too must embrace a change most profound."

"For all these years that we have known and lived with the other ponies, learning from them as much as we learned them," Calm Drizzle continued, "We never knew for certain what to call them. They are not unicorns, earth pony, or pegasi, and as such, we called them other ponies as they did not belong to any of the three tribes. However," he stomped a hoof, "that changes today! Guiding Hoof," he offered his spot.

"Thank you," Guiding Hoof said as he took the place offered. "As Calm Drizzle said, the other ponies do not belong to any of the three tribes, yet they are ponies all the same. And now… now that we know what their shared talent is, we also know their place in this world… their place next to us. For where the magic of air belongs to the pegasi tribe, the magic of earth and nature to the earth pony tribe, and the skill to control magic to the unicorn tribe, there is also a magic that links everything together. Change! Whether it is the change from day to night, spring to summer to fall to winter, or young to old, change is just as much a part of the magical world as anything else. And where we unicorns, pegasi and earth ponies belong to one of the three tribes, our friends are the fourth tribe. The tribe of change! And with a tribe, they also have a name. They are not just other ponies any longer," he smiled, looking at Elinora. "Would you please tell us what you are called?"

Elinora almost leaped at the front of the stage, standing tall and proud before all. "We are change, and the link that binds all…" she looked at all of her family, all of them giving her their agreements over their shared mind, and her smile became just a bit larger.

"We are changelinks."

Author's Note:

The K is silent when used in as a singular word. Add a few centuries of linguistics development, as well as some other stuff still waiting to be told, and we have the name we all know about.

And yes, I did pull the same one letter difference with Fenris/Fenrir.