• Published 19th Aug 2019
  • 460 Views, 10 Comments

Prisoner of Fate - Leondude



This is the story of Ardent Cadenza, a kind and noble unicorn healer who's blessing eventually became her curse as it slowly corrupts her.

  • ...
3
 10
 460

Chapter 3 - Time

Ardent trotted into on another one of Star-Swirl's lectures with the two alicorn sisters. She leaned against the side of the open door and observed them, seeing if the two sisters were absorbing everything Star-Swirl had to say. Luna noticed her and waved happily at her, to which Ardent gave a little happy wave back. When Celestia noticed Ardent, Ardent just gave her a little nod.

While she didn't consider the princesses mature enough to rule, she at least tolerated Luna because Luna was the one that focused the most and studied the hardest. It also certainly helped that she was apparently capable of entering ponies' dreams and, if she practised hard enough, she might be able to give Ardent a good night's sleep. Celestia, by contrast, was a bit too laid-back for Ardent's liking and preferred to spend her time outside of Star-Swirl's teaching sessions partying and going off on her own little adventures. She also hated the fact that, out of the two sisters, Celestia seemed to be the more powerful one. All that magical talent wasted on somepony that Ardent considered to have the mentality of a pubescent filly, not that she knew how alicorns aged in comparison to their mortal subjects. Her inability to sleep due to her nightmares has not helped quell her bitterness towards Celestia in the slightest. She was also slightly annoyed that Luna hasn't learned to visit her dreams yet, but she was willing to wait.

"In due time," Ardent muttered to herself. "In due time..."

"Ardent," Star-Swirl announced. "I'd like a word with you."

Ardent trotted over towards Star-Swirl, with Star-Swirl teleporting himself and Ardent outside of the lecture hall.

"There have been rumours that you are being considered to succeed Kronus as the ruler of all the lands," Star-Swirl said. "While I know that isn't how succession works, but something tells me that the ponies of this land know a lot more about alicorn ascension than they let on."

"I have no desire to sit on the throne, but if it pleases the masses and if I could use my abilities to purge this disease from everypony and save countless lives, then I would gladly be their sovereign," Ardent said.

"As good as that sounds, I'm afraid there's no possible way you could rule the land without there being at least one conflict of interest."

Ardent tilted her head. "What dost thou mean, Master?"

"You are not of noble birth. You do not represent the equality that me, the founders and the current king and queen hope to represent. And, I am sad to say this but, you have only so much magic, as well as a frail and mortal form, much like myself." Star-Swirl then pointed towards Ardent's foreleg, which was covered in an ethereal purple aura. "And it is only so long until your secret is unveiled."

Ardent looked at where Star-Swirl is pointing and used her magic to suppress the disease's taint.

"Even if that were the case, surely I would be pure enough to ascend to alicorn status," Ardent said.

"Ascend?" Star-Swirl raised an eyebrow.

. "While I know Celestia and Luna are of natural birth, I have heard stories about forces beyond comprehension choosing those they consider worthy enough to become gods among ponies, usually representing a certain concept or attribute."

Star-Swirl stroked his beard in contemplation. "Yes, I suppose, but I sense that unholy disease you have within you would lessen your chances of ascension."

Ardent coughed up her infected bile onto the floor before glaring at Star-Swirl.

"So, even if the public were on my side, still thou, the current rulers of the land, and even the damned gods above would still deny me the throne because of their own skewed priorities?! Am I not good enough for thee?!"

As Ardent lost her temper, the disease within her flared up, causing the whites of her eyes to turn pitch black and her irises to turn a bright but unnatural yellow. Star-Swirl looked at his apprentice with shock and a tinge of sadness on his face. That was enough for Ardent to calm down and return to her normal appearance.

"My sincerest apologies, Star-Swirl. My nights have been less than pleasant and I feel as though mine own mind is turning against me. When dost thou suppose Luna would be able to dream-walk?"

Star-Swirl sighed. "Soon, I hope. Maybe you can come to the Everfree Forest and Luna and I can help you rest your mind."

Ardent smiled. While she doesn't entirely trust Luna to get inside her head while she is in slumber, she knows that Luna's special talents lie in healing ponies mentally while they sleep. Just like how Ardent heals ponies during the day while they are awake. Most of the time, that is.


Days, weeks even, have gone past as Ardent did what she did best. She travelled far and wide across the lands healing those afflicted with the plague. And with Luna helping her sleep, she felt like she had more energy to not only help others, but also keep her own infection at bay.

Unfortunately, there were times where she had slipped up and nearly revealed to her patients that she herself was infected with the very disease she tried to cure others of. Nevertheless, she managed to push back any prior resentment she had for the two sisters and even managed to spare some time to have an adorable little baby filly with her husband.

After healing a sick family within a village located near the Everfree Forest, Ardent's chest seized up and she fell to the ground. She coughed rapidly until she lost control of the affliction's effect on her appearance, exposing the full extent of her infection. Two pegasi, both of whom were Kronus' soldiers, were in the vicinity when Ardent had her little fit.

"There's one of them!" one of the soldiers said while pointing at Ardent.

"Get her!" the other soldier said.

"Oh no," Ardent whispered quietly to herself.

Ardent got up and ran as quickly as she could into the Everfree Forest. As she ran, she took a tumble within the Everfree Forest and fell into a patch of shrubbery. As uncomfortable as the vines and thorny bushes were, at least they provided a good place to hide from the pegasi. From the safety of the thorns, Ardent could see her two pursuers scanning up and down the Everfree for her, to no avail.

"Do you see anything?" one of the soldiers asked.

"I'm afraid not," the other replied.

The first soldier sighed. "Well, if she's gone deeper into the forest than this, chances are she's not coming back out alive. Let's just go."

The pegasi flew away, not bothering to search any further. Ardent sighed, wondering if Star-Swirl had even considered talking to Commander Hurricane, or the other founders of Equestria for that matter, so that they could suggest some other option besides murdering dozens of innocent ponies in cold blood. Between incompetent and corrupt bureaucrats in the royal court and their somewhat immature successors, along with Star-Swirl not using his own power to its full effect, Ardent felt like she was the only pony in Equestria that had the power, the will and the decency to try and make a positive change.

Author's Note:

Oops, nearly forgot to publish this chapter. :twilightblush:

It's ironic, really. She wants power so she could help out others much more easily but, as the saying goes, absolute power corrupts absolutely. Not that she'd need power to do that because she already has a disease that is slowly turning her into a monster.

And if you're wondering why I mentioned the founders of Equestria, it's because the disease has been around for a very long time. Part and parcel of being created by the first Emperor of Equestria, you know.