• Published 12th Dec 2019
  • 517 Views, 21 Comments

Helix and Hooves: Trainers of the Future - The Kelduo



Two friends travel into the future to prepare for a dangerous threat to Equestria.

  • ...
4
 21
 517

Chapter 4: The Gym Challenge and a Noisy Nuisance

As soon as I finished climbing the stairs, I stopped right in my tracks. My friends followed suit as we gazed upon the vast city of Motostoke. If it were any larger, it would put the likes of Castelia City to shame. I would have stayed put to take in the entirety of Motostoke for hours if I wasn't on a mission to save Equestria.

The Doctor, on the other hand... "I must have an up-close view of these wondrous steam-powered machines!" He raced ahead like a foal in a candy store.

I saw no need to stop him, for Sonia called out to all of us from in front of the Pokemon Center to the west, next to a long poster of a Chewtle tugging on a tablecloth. "Hey! Over here, you four!" When we walked over, she continued, "Real ace of you to make it through the Wild Area on your first try!"

"Thank you very much," the Doctor said, "but that trek ran my Pokemon a bit ragged. We'd better pop into the Pokemon Center to rest up."

"That's a fine idea. Better yet, there's something in there I bet you'll get a kick out off... if you're a real Trainer and all."


As soon as I entered the Pokemon Center, I decided to walk over to the pink computer with a Rotom above it possessing something with appendages. "I must say, I've never seen a Rotom quite like this before. What is this appliance that it's entered?"

Sonia smiled. "I was hoping you'd ask about that sooner or later! Rotomi are a kind of Rotom Information service. It's a handy machine for Trainers. You can even use one to customize your League Card! League Cards can be traded with other Gym Challengers to show who you are and what you stand for. Here's a sample for you!" She gave each of us a card with a picture of Leon on it.

"So, this is Leon's League Card..." I asked Sonia, "The number 1 on the bottom left of this card, what does it represent? Is it used to signify his rank or something?"

"Good guess, but no. That's his uniform number you're looking at. Every Trainer who competes in the Gym Challenge has one. You'll learn more about that later. The Rotomi can also allow you to access your Pokemon Boxes and try the Loto-ID, among other things."

"I beg your pardon, Sonia," Roborygon said, "but I feel we should address the size of Motostoke. Why don't you and I work together to guide these new Trainers of Galar?"

"What a wonderful idea, Roborygon!" She turned to us. "Come find us after you heal your Pokemon!" Sonia began to leave. "The ceremony, huh... I always get a bit worked up when I think about how exciting and moving it was to actually stand on a stadium's pitch for the first time!"

"A ceremony?" The Doctor put his hoof to his chin in thought. "As in, an opening ceremony?"

"I would think so," Pummel replied. "And I can't wait to watch it!"

And so, after healing our teams and restocking our inventory, we left the Pokemon Center and set off to meet up with Sonia.


Sonia was waiting for us just east of the Pokemon Center. "So, brilliant Trainers who've braved the Wild Area! Do you remember what your goal in Motostoke is?"

Doctor Hooves nodded. "We're here to initiate the beginning of the Gym Challenge!"

"Yup! The Gym Challenge opening ceremony."

We followed Roborygon to a road leading to a circular lift. "The ceremony will be tomorrow, held at Motostoke Stadium. You should be able to make it there by riding that lift to the upper level. The stadium will be right in front of you."

Sonia gave Roborygon an approving smile. "Nice job telling them where to go, Roborygon!"

"For your information, I was constructed to be a guide and partner for Pummel and his friends. It's only expected that I would do such a thing as lead them to their next objective. But right now, I'm off to acquire information on the various amenities that Motostoke has to offer." Roborygon proceeded to hover down the road to visit the various shops.

"What a coincidence! I was going to do the same thing!" Sonia turned to us. "Well, laters! I'm going with Roborygon to swing by the shops myself, but don't you all forget to register at the stadium, 'K?" She then followed Roborygon.

I turned to my colleagues. "So, what do you guys want to do?"

The Doctor replied, "As I said earlier, I desire to see these steam-powered machines up close! But where should I start?"

Keldeo pointed west past the Chewtle poster. "I saw a water wheel back that way. I'd go there if I were you, but that's just because I'm a Water-type." He dashed away without another word.

"I'm going to see if there's a place where I can both refuel and train my partners, like Mauville's Food Court and the Battle Buffet in Hau'oli City." Pummel followed the path north to find a place that fulfilled those conditions.

Meloetta tugged on Heart's attire. "Let's go see if there's some harmonious clothing in the boutique, Heart!"

"All right, let's go!" The two went to find the boutique.

And that left just me and the Doctor. "Where do you want to go first?"

The Doctor answered, "I'm going to take Keldeo's advice and visit the water wheel."

"Okay, then. I'll go with you to check it out."

We walked down the steps and stopped at a small stone bridge. We turned north and saw the water wheel utilizing the power of steam to keep rotating. Ah, the wheel. It is such a simple mechanism, yet it quite literally drives the majority of the lives of humans like myself. Its curved surface allows ease of movement via rolling, which cannot be said for flat surfaces such as cubes.

The Doctor watched the wheel in awe. "The beautiful thing about wheels is that they're one of a kind. No other two-dimensional or three-dimensional shape can boast the ability to move about by means of rolling!" He then gave an exasperated sigh. "Of course, that doesn't mean Discord cannot make it so..."

I also sighed. "Let's hope that Discord never decides to mess things up in Galar..."

Keldeo shook his head. "I don't see him making things here chaotic, because they already are. In fact, I'd like to see his face when he sees a cool-headed Darmanitan, a mismatched revived fossil, or a dragon bomber!"

I turned to Keldeo with a surprised glare. "Don't tell me you've been here before!"

He laughed. "Nah, this is my first time to Galar. Terrakion used to tell me stories about this one time he and the other Swords of Justice visited Galar. It was here that he met his match; he tried to take down a living wall of stone in one blow, but it withstood his full might!"

"You think Terrakion had it bad?" We looked up, and we saw that Pinkie Pie was walking on top of the water wheel as if she was in a circus act. "I mistook a Pokemon for a cup of tea, and believe me, it tasted horrible!"

"Just goes to show you," the Doctor said, "that you should never consume something you're not familiar with. By any chance, where's Rainbow Dash?"

"She's still in the Wild Area looking for Pokemon to fight. I wonder what she'll run into!"

"That makes sense. Helix, let's head further west and see what awaits us!"

"That would be a good idea," I replied, "but there are people blocking the path. We should meet up with the others at the lift."

We returned to the path north, with Pinkie following us. Once we reached the circular lift where we regrouped with the others, I heard a familiar, raspy voice. "Hey, Leon! I see them up that way!" A Charizard flew in our direction.

Leon soon followed Charizard. "I'd surely never make it to the stadium without you to show me the way, partner. Even with a huge old thing like this bang in the middle of the city, I still get lost." He turned to us, namely the Doctor. "Doctor Hooves! All right? One look at you is all it takes to tell me that you've become a Trainer worthy of endorsement from the Champion!"

"Are you sure?" the Doctor shyly asked. "I've only just become a Trainer, and you already think I am worthy of your endorsement?"

"Definitely! Roborygon posted a clip on Pokegram of your Grookey evolving into Thwackey while battling an Onix, as well as a picture of said Thwackey using Max Overgrowth on a Dynamax Mudbray! Yes, I reckon you might even be ready to use this..." Leon gave the Doctor a seed. "Here, give this to your partner to hold!"

"That's a Miracle Seed," Pummel explained. "It makes Grass-type moves stronger when a Pokemon holds it."

"Bingo! Held items like that will be important if you want a chance to beat the unbeatable Leon! Speaking of, you're headed to the stadium next, right?"

"Yes, indeed," the Doctor answered.

Leon pointed to the lift. "You can take that lift up to the city's upper level, where the stadium awaits you."

"Understood. Come on, everyone! We're going up!"

We stepped onto the large rectangular platform, and the system of cogs lifted the platform to the top in a manner similar to a fast Ferris wheel. As soon as we stepped off, the stadium was right in front of us. The ground in front of the stadium had a red samurai motif, and there was a logo above the door that looked like a Poke Ball with a red top half and a blue bottom half.

Hop was waiting for us in front of the stadium. "You guys made it, too? Nice! Hey, who's the new pony you've got with you?"

The Doctor replied, "Hop, I'd like you to meet an Equestrian that I am more than acquainted with. This is Pinkie Pie, one of the six bearers of harmony. Her specialty is spreading laughter and cheer. Pinkie Pie, this is Hop, a Gym Challenge veteran."

Pinkie shook Hop's hand. "Nice to meet you, Hop!"

"Same here, Pinkie Pie. Bet you want to know what this place is, huh? This is Motostoke Stadium, where the opening ceremony will be held. Everyone'll be watching the opening ceremony for the Gym Challenge: My mum, Victor's mum... The whole world!"

"What about the ponies back in Equestria? Will they be watching?"

Hop shrugged. "Depends. Do they have a telly or Rotom Phones?"

"What's a telly?"

I replied, "That's what people in Galar call televisions."

"Oh. Then no, Equestria hasn't invented tellies or Rotom Phones. We're not that advanced yet. But who knows? Maybe someday we'll reach that point. Then I'll throw an Equestria-has-Rotom-Phones-and-tellies party!"

Hop smiled. "Glad to see you're pumped up! Honestly, the Gym Challenge is getting me a bit nervous, because last time I took it on, Victor beat me in the semifinals... Naw, this isn't nerves. I'm only trembling because I'm so excited! Come on, you guys! It's time Galar learned your names!"

We went through the automatic doors, but the Doctor stayed behind to speak with the Poke Ball mascot and earn a Poke Ball for doing so.


The interior of Motostoke Stadium was vast, with golden statues depicting caricatures of Charizard greeting us as we entered. The walls were plastered with posters advertising what I can only assume is the Champion Cup tournament.

Pummel looked around the stadium's lobby. "This is incredible! I've never seen so many Gym Challengers in one place! In fact, this is the first time I've seen any other challengers besides Heart, Helix, and the rival I encounter in each of the other regions. It will be fun to take on those new rivals, I'm sure of it!"

"I know, right?" Hop replied with a big grin. "Let's get signed up!"

We proceeded to the front desk, where a boy with white bushy hair and a purple and pink outfit finished signing up and turned to head towards the seats on the left half of the lobby. Pinkie Pie tried to congratulate him for participating in the challenge, but the boy selfishly shoved her to the side with a scowl before waiting by the leftmost Charizard statue.

The Doctor frowned. "Seriously? Some humans have no respect for others whatsoever!" He disregarded the insensitive Trainer and walked up to the front desk. "Sir, we're here to sign up for the Gym Challenge."

The official at the front desk said, "In that case, I'll have to see your endorsements, please."

"Of course." I handed him my endorsement, as did the Doctor, Pummel, and Heart.

Lucario looked at his endorsement with hesitation. "Hmm..." He then handed it to the person behind the desk.

The official looked at Lucario in surprise. "Fancy that... This is the first time we've had a Pokemon endorsed for the Gym Challenge, let alone a Pokemon endorsed by Leon!"

Lucario chuckled. "You think I'm a mere Lucario and nothing more? I've trained long and hard to become the ultimate master of Aura. I have partnered up with the greatest, most powerful warrior of all time, and together we cannot be stopped. But enough about me. My friends Helix and Doctor Hooves have mildly trespassed the chronological barrier from 2018 to acquire some help they believe will be important for taking down a threat to the Doctor's home. That's their secondary motive for taking on the Gym Challenge."

The official gasped. "What?! A Pokemon and time travelers?! I wonder what's come over Leon this year... You three must be true heroes."

"Make that six!" Pinkie replied. "There's also Pummel Fist, Heart Fist, and me, Pinkie Pie! We're all real heroes!"

"Really? I see. Do you have your endorsement?"

"Wait, I didn't know I needed an endorsement! Be right back!" Pinkie Pie zipped out of the building.

A few seconds later, Luigi walked in. "Excuse me, I hope I'm not too late to register for the Gym Challenge." He held out his endorsement.

"Your timing is great, actually. All of you can be endorsed at once!" Luigi gave him the endorsement. "And that makes six challengers endorsed by the Champion! I'm sorry, but this will take a little while. Could you please find a way to occupy yourselves while I sign you all up?"

"Okay. I'm going to explore Motostoke some more." I left the stadium and set off to take on the Battle Cafe that Pummel spoke of.


The Cafe Master was considerably easy to defeat; he merely sent out a Combee. I used Rookidee to easily exterminate the honeycomb pest. I got a Whipped Dream, a treat made of whipped cream with a cherry on top, as a reward for defeating him.

When I returned to the stadium, it turned out that we had all been signed up for the Gym Challenge, including Hop and Victor, and that Pinkie had somehow gotten an endorsement and been registered for the challenge. But there was still one thing left to do... "You can now choose your preferred number for your uniform, if you'd be so kind? It will be displayed on the back of your uniform you must wear for any official match."

Pummel went first: "I'll go for 647, the National Pokedex number for my favorite Pokemon: Keldeo!"

Heart was after Pummel: "I choose 22."

Lucario went next: "I will choose 448, in honor of my own species."

I went after Lucario: "I suppose I will use 724, after the National Pokedex number of my current species, Decidueye."

And then the Doctor: "I don't really have a preferred number, but I think I'll take 19."

Then came Luigi: "I've always wanted to prove myself to be number one, but I'm-a still choosing 2."

And finally, Pinkie Pie: "I'm supporting my favorite superstar warrior! I had to think super hard and ask Twilight about Kirby to help me figure out what number to use, but then I got it! I chose... the number of Abilities he's used! ...Um, Roborygon? How many Abilities has he used?"

Roborygon checked the Ability database. "If my knowledge doesn't fail me, then the number of Abilities he's used is 69. You sure about this?"

"I sure am sure!"

"...Got it! Here, please wear these Challenge Bands at all times to identify yourselves as Gym Challengers." The official gave each of us a wristband to wear on our left wrist, although this one had flashier designs to contrast with the Dynamax Band on our right wrist. "The opening ceremony for the Gym Challenge is to be held here tomorrow. All the Trainers taking part have been booked a room at the nearby Budew Drop Inn."

Hop pumped his fist. "That's the League Chairman for you! Even booked us all hotel rooms!" He turned to us. "Want to check out the fancy digs? Victor and I'll show you!" He ran out of the stadium, leaving us to follow. Pinkie, on the other hoof, decided to stay behind, having been distracted by one Gym Challenger and her rather odd rodent Pokemon.


When we got back outside, one of the officials for the Gym Challenge was waiting for us. He said, "You must be the challengers endorsed by the Champion." He pointed west. "The Budew Drop Inn is down this way. If you would be so kind as to follow me..." He walked in the direction he pointed, and we followed him to a tall hotel with a green sign above the entrance. Two small bushes were on each side of the door. "We have arrived at the Budew Drop Inn. Try to get some rest and build up your strength for what's to come."

Walking through the automatic sliding doors, we were greeted by a considerably inviting lobby. The first thing I saw was a large golden statue of some hero in brilliant armor wielding a sword and shield, the statue settled between two sets of stairs.

Sonia was looking at the statue when we entered the lobby. She turned around and saw us. "Hiya! Looks like you all got yourselves registered."

"Oh, hey Sonia!" Luigi said. "Are you checking in here too?"

"Actually, I'm here to research the mysterious Pokemon that are said to be in the Slumbering Weald. I reckon if I look into some of Galar's legends, I might find something that'd help. Care to join me?"

"Certainly!" the Doctor answered. "I do enjoy doing research, so I would be honored to assist in your attempt to solve one of Galar's greatest mysteries. Tell me, who is that statue depicting?"

"It is a statue of the hero who once saved the Galar region. I could run through the hero's legend right quick, if you fancy?"

I shook my head. "I don't like the short version of things. We'll take all the details you can give us."

"Glad to hear! Long ago, a great black storm covered the Galar region. People called it 'the Darkest Day.' The land was assaulted by gigantic Pokemon much like the ones you find in Pokemon Dens... but they were defeated by a single young hero bearing a sword and shield. This statue is meant to depict the hero of that legend. As of now, we still don't understand what kind of sword and shield the hero actually had. And what this 'black storm' is supposed to be is yet another mystery... Whatever it was, it blotted out the skies all over Galar. I suppose that tracks with it being called the Darkest Day, but still..."

Pummel looked at Keldeo. "Did the Swords of Justice ever mention fighting giant Pokemon?"

"They told me about the Darkest Day, but they never said anything about themselves fighting giant Pokemon. I doubt they'd be involved in this story anyway. Plus, if they did have something to do with the legend, then there'd have to be Shields of Justice. And that's too dumb to be real. Whatever the case, that hero must be really strong to take down all those giant Pokemon with nobody to help him... Sonia, I think you've got a lot of research to do."

I looked at Sonia with a smile. "But don't worry. I know you'll be fine, Sonia."

Sonia returned the smile. "Of course I'll be fine. I'll muddle through somehow. Say, aren't you all staying here at the hotel? You should check in."

"Right. If we find out anything more about the legend, we'll let you know first."

We walked up the stairs to the front desk, but we had been beaten to it. To be precise, we were beaten by two females and two males, all in hot pink and black attire. I would have confronted them immediately due to their suspicious, menacing attire and facial paint, but I knew that it would be wise and more humorous to take the more passive approach. I walked to the male closest to me. "Hello, what are you four doing here?"

He turned to me with a big grin. "We came all the way out to this big city so that we could properly cheer on Gym Challengers! Team Yell is here to help, after all!"

The Doctor replied, "As of now, though, you aren't helping. If you want to help, move out of the way so we Gym Challengers can check in."

The Team Yell member scowled. "Oh, so you wanna get in our way, huh? You should know that you'd better be ready to battle if you do!"

The Doctor smirked. "A battle? I'm up for that. You've already proven that you have poor logic, for Gym Challengers cannot be properly cheered on if you don't even allow them to check in to the hotel and get well-rested. You'd best not disappoint me with your battling skills!"

"Hold it, Mr. Horse! Team Yell's got spot-on logic, 'cause we're all about helpin'... Helpin' one very special Trainer win the Gym Challenge, that is! We wanna make sure she gets cheered on nice and proper, and now you're gonna help us make some noise!" He sent out a Galarian Zigzagoon. "Team Yell hits loud, fast, and hard!" The other members cheered him on, the male one using a strange horn with two output orifices rather than one.

"It's time to train up my other teammates!" The Doctor sent out his Yamper. "Go, Spark Bark!"

"Use Lick!" the Team Yell member blustered. His Zigzagoon sped forward, tongue first.

"As expected, given my last encounter with one of those. Spark Bark, use Nuzzle!"

Spark Bark ran towards Zigzagoon while charging his electric sac. Zigzagoon was the first one to strike. But this would not have mattered, because its tongue made contact with the electric sac, giving it a literal taste of electricity. The electricity surged all throughout its body, numbing it with paralysis.

"And that's why you don't lick things you shouldn't lick! Punish him with Tackle!" Spark Bark slammed into Zigzagoon, finishing off the last of its hit points with a critical hit.

The Team Yell member stomped the ground in frustration. "Oh, come on! That was a real dirty trick you pulled!"

The Doctor laughed. "I never pulled any tricks. I just had my partner use moves the way they were meant to be used. You're the one whose Pokemon licked an electric sac!"

"But you're the one whose Pokemon had an electric sac! Team Yell! Get revenge for me, wouldja?"

One of the female grunts holding a banner that depicted a certain Gym Challenger I saw in the stadium lobby replaced the first grunt. "Course I got you covered, mate! And besides, what could be better than a battle in a lovely hotel lobby like this?"

"A battle against the future Champion in a lovely hotel lobby like this!" I sent out Seedot. "Good luck surviving our combo!"

"We'll see about that!" She tossed her Poke Ball. "Show 'em what you got, Nickit! Use Quick Attack!"

As Nickit dashed towards Seedot, I said, "Use Bide!"

Seedot gave off a white glow as it took Nickit's attack head-on. "Use Quick Attack again!" Nickit struck Seedot once more.

"You hanging in there, partner?" I asked.

"Yep," Seedot answered, "hanging like a Berry."

"Good. Keep it up!"

"Now use Bite!" Nickit clamped down on Seedot with its sharp teeth.

"I'll be taking that," Nickit snickered as it stole a round blue Oran Berry from Seedot.

My eyes narrowed. "So much for the combo. Your Nickit is quite the pickpocket. Unfortunately, she will pay for that! Seedot, do it now!"

"I'm comin' right back at ya for sure!" Seedot concentrated its white glow into a powerful laser beam that completely caught Nickit off-guard.

"Ah, man!" the grunt said, clearly surprised by her defeat. "The swanky, sophisticated air in here had me off my game! I couldn't keep my cool in this fanciness!"

Hop joined us after he admired the luxurious hotel. "I didn't expect checking in would be such a fuss! Are those guys holding you up?"

"More like we're completely destroying them!" Pummel said with a smile. "Hey, Mom, I bet you could take these last two down all by yourself. Want to give it a shot?"

"Sure, I'll give it a try." Heart took on a fighting stance.

The second male grunt laughed. "I can already hear my victory comin'! The only sound you'll make is a whimper of defeat!" The two remaining grunts sent out the same Pokemon as the first two did: a Galarian Zigzagoon and a Nickit.

Before Heart could act, the female grunt said, "Quick Attack!"

Nickit ran towards Heart, who instinctively put her hands up to successfully block the attack. She followed up by grabbing Nickit by the tail and repeatedly slamming it on the Zigzagoon, knocking both out. "Well, that wasn't too bad."

The defeated male grunt stood in complete sadness. "Guess it was defeat that I heard comin'... I think I'm about to cry..."

I put my wing around him. "Don't worry about it. Besides..." I smirked. "...you'll get used to the taste of defeat. Especially if someday, Hotshot finishes off your last Pokemon with a Double Kick to the face."

"You're welcome, Helix." Meloetta fist-bumped me.

"Hi guys!" Pinkie burst into the lobby. "Sorry I'm late, I just made a new friend! Time to meet another Gym Challenger!"

A girl with twin black ponytails and a predominantly black outfit calmly walked up the stairs with her rodent Pokemon. "What are you lot doing here?"

Team Yell immediately yielded. "Marnie?! N-n-nothing... we was just..."

"Ooh, you four know Marnie? You look like you must be big fans of her!"

The girl nodded. "Yeah, that's about right, although they can be a bit over-the-top at times..." She turned back to Team Yell. "Listen, I know you're all terribly curious 'bout the other Gym Challengers, but you gotta show a bit of respect." She looked back at us. "Sorry if they caused you any trouble! And the pink pony's right, they're just a bunch of my fans. Call themselves Team Yell and follow me around, cheerin' for me. I think they've let it all go to their heads a bit..."

"No worries," the Doctor said. "They weren't too much of a bother. Rather, I could use the training."

"Nice to see that." Marnie turned back to Team Yell. "Come on, you lot! Back home with you now!"

"Yes, Marnie..." Team Yell reluctantly left.

"I don't know about you," the Doctor said, "but I think we're going to have several more run-ins with Team Yell during our adventure. I feel like they care too much about you to let anyone else win the Gym Challenge."

Marnie nodded. "You got that right. They're just so caught up with cheerin' me on and all that they tend to get a bit shirty with other Gym Challengers. Never you mind them."

"It's all good," I answered. "It's nice to see that you already have a bunch of fans supporting you."

After a pause, Marnie smiled.

I returned the smile as I proceeded to the front desk. "Hello, sir. We are some of the Pokemon Trainers who are participating in the--"

"Coming through!" Suddenly, a blue blur leaving behind a rainbow trail burst through the automatic doors before coming to a dead stop thanks to Meloetta's Reflect. The blur was revealed to be Rainbow Dash... who was wearing a Challenge Band. "Sorry I'm late! Been busy whooping Pokemon butts while looking for the right Pokemon to start me off. Pinkie filled me in on how to be the most awesome Pegasus I can be, so I got right to work. You'd be surprised by how many Poke Balls that people leave around the Wild Area. I'd have been too late to sign up for the Gym Challenge if I'd picked up everything I found! Good thing I brought that Wishing Star to the professor, though." She showed off her Dynamax Band. "I can't wait to make my partners Dynamax!" She turned to the clerk. "I'm here to get some rest before taking part in the ceremony tomorrow. Can you book me a room?"

The clerk replied, "The League has already booked rooms for all of you. And if I might..." He looked at the rest of us. "...thank you for helping us out of a sticky situation with those hooligans earlier. I hope you have a pleasant stay here with us. Sleep well."



I woke up refreshed and fully rejuvenated. If I wasn't on a schedule, though, I would have stayed in bed due to Decidueye's nocturnal habits. I went downstairs to meet up with the others. "Good morning, guys. Did everyone sleep well?"

"Most definitely!" the Doctor replied. "I'd gotten so used to the bed in my own laboratory that I'd forgotten how true comfort felt! I would choose the Budew Drop Inn any day!"

"Hate to burst your bubble," Rainbow said with a positive tone, "but the cloud beds back in Cloudsdale cannot be beat, even by this fancy hotel. You're a winged Pokemon, Helix. You should fly on over and try them sometime."

"Duly noted." I added Rainbow's advice to the notes on the Notepad app on my Rotom Phone.

"This hotel's beds are nice and all, but I like to show off." Keldeo shot water from his hooves and expertly used his magic to morph it into the shape of a pet's bed. "I've kept this baby intact throughout the whole night!"

"You really think that's a fancy bed?" Meloetta conjured up a bed made entirely out of different parts of sheet music. Try sleeping on a whole rest while using a half rest as a pillow and a grand staff as a blanket."

Pinkie looked at the bed groggily. "That sounds nice to lay on right about now, because I didn't get much sleep last night..."

"Really?" Hop asked. "Why's that? You too excited to sleep?"

"Kinda. Last night I dreamed that I was Kirby."

"Wow!" Pummel exclaimed. "It must've been a great dream! What were you doing, beating up monsters, handing out Friend Hearts, having a gourmet race with King Dedede?"

"None of those. But I do know that when I woke up, my pillow was gone. I looked all night for it."

"Oh." I then had a humorous Kirby-related thought. "Maybe you thought eating the pillow would give you the Sleep Ability so you could stay well-rested?"

Pinkie shook her head. "Good one, but I looked out my window and saw my pillow on the road. Come to think of it, I dreamed I was Throw Kirby."

"I wonder if it was a throw pillow." We laughed at my joke. "Anyway, I think I can help with your situation." I took out an indigo berry with an apricot-colored underside. "Eat it. A Chesto Berry will surely cure any kind of sleepiness."

Pinkie took a bite, then she immediately perked up. "Ooh, yummy!" She gobbled down the rest of the berry. "I'm all ready! Let's go!"


Outside, an official (perhaps the same one as earlier?) greeted us. "Gym Challengers, the opening ceremony is starting soon! Please allow me to escort you to the Gym Stadium."

We nodded. "Okay."

"All right. Follow close and be careful not to lose sight of me." A short walk later, and we were back at the stadium. "We've made it to the stadium entrance! Please hurry to the opening ceremony!"

We walked inside and spoke with the official at the desk. The Doctor politely asked, "Is there anything else we need to do before heading to the ceremony?"

"Certainly," he replied. "Gym Challengers must wear their uniforms for all official events. The opening ceremony marks the beginning of the Gym Challenge, so you know what that means!"

"Right, we need to change into our uniforms," I said. "Where do I change?"

He pointed to his right. "That door to the left leads to the changing room."

"Thanks." We took turns using the changing room, because only one person could use it at a time. When it came my turn, I first turned to Roborygon. "Bring up a list of all bipedal Pokemon that do not have wings and are registered in my Pokedex."

"Okay. Preparing Helix's wingless Pokemon database."

I looked at the list carefully. "I want to be a Pokemon that has speed, agility, and flexibility, but at the same time, it should also have exceptional attack power... There!"


When I left the changing room, I was dressed in a predominantly white jersey, shorts, and sneakers, the former two having vertical red and blue stripes on the sides. My species was a black frog with a deep red tongue for a scarf, the Shiny variant of a Greninja. The official looked at me in confusion. "You look sharp as a pen, but why don't you stick with your original species? You'll be more likely to be recognized as Helix."

I nodded. "True. But this uniform would be uncomfortable if I was a Decidueye. To make up for the lack of recognition, everyone will notice Shiny Pokemon. They're one of a kind. Additionally, Shiny Greninja are darker colored than their normal counterparts, just like Decidueye."

"Excellent point. Now then, we're ready at last for the opening ceremony for this year's Gym Challenge!"


As we slowly and dramatically walked through the doors to the field, I turned to my colleagues. "This is it, everyone. Our Galarian journey officially begins here."

The Doctor nodded. "To be honest, this is my first ever adventure into another land. You haven't the slightest clue how excited I truly..." Then he looked down. "...Seriously?" Gravity kicked in as he fell into a ring carefully set beneath him.

"Why would Hoopa want to take him to the alternate version of this adventure right now?" Pummel asked. Another ring appeared in front of him. "Me too? Well, if Hoopa says so." He jumped into the ring. The rings disappeared.

Rainbow looked at Pummel with a confused expression. "You know this Hoopa guy?"

Keldeo smiled. "We all do. Hoopa likes to use his rings to pull pranks, but he also uses them for a good cause. He's a prankster like you, but it looks like he can also use his rings to travel between dimensions like Discord. Now, let's hurry to the opening!"

We continued walking through the hall and found ourselves staring at a stadium with a field that was possibly even larger than that of a football (American, not soccer) field. In the center of the stadium were a man in a gray suit and a woman with blond hair and wearing a white lab coat, a red shirt, and black pants.

The man announced, "Ladies and gentlemen! I am Rose, chairman of the Pokemon League! I know that everyone gathered here and everyone watching from home have all been waiting for this big moment! It is my pleasure to announce that finally... the Galar region Gym Challenge will now begin!"

The audience roared in applause.

"Yes, the Gym Challenge! Participants must defeat the eight Gym Leaders and gather the eight Gym Badges to prove their skills as a Trainer! Only the most worthy will have the honor of challenging the greatest Champion in history! Now, I would like to invite the Gym Leaders to show themselves!"

Seven individuals entered the stadium, and the crowd roared even more. The chairman introduced the leaders one by one, starting with a muscular man wearing a farmer's hat and a green uniform and tie. "The fighting farmer! Here's the Grass-type expert, Milo!" Next, a sleek woman with brown skin, piercing blue eyes, and blue hair. "The raging wave! It's the master of Water-types, Nessa!" After her, a serious-looking man with a red uniform boasting a samurai logo not unlike the one I saw in front of the stadium, as well as an unflinching gaze and gray hair. "The ever-burning man of fire! Here comes the Fire-type veteran, Kabu!" Then, a woman with gray hair and a black hairband with an orange highlight. On her predominantly black attire was an orange fist logo. "The Galar karate prodigy! Nobody's better with Fighting-types than Bea!" Next, an elderly woman with calm blue eyes, a large indigo collar, and a pink and sky blue dress. "The master of a fantastic theater! It's the charming Fairy-type user, Opal!" After her, a bulky man with a half-black, half-white jacket and a rock logo on his uniform. He wore a gold necklace with a blue gem, as well as fancy blue shades. "The hard-rock crusher! Please welcome the Rock-type master, Gordie!" Finally, an arrogant-looking brown man with an orange hat and a black jacket with a toothed hood. He was taking selfies with his Rotom Phone. "And last but not least, the tamer of dragons... It's Raihan, the top Gym Leader!" Wait, that makes seven, not eight. "Unfortunately, we're missing one, but... These are the Gym Leaders that we in the Galar region are proud to call our own!"

We walked out onto the field and got to know the other challengers. They included a girl from Kanto named Green, and a local girl named Gloria. Also among them were some of our friends, who were temporarily trapped in Equestria alongside us. Said friends include Mario, his paper variant, Sonic, Tails, Amy, King Dedede, and Meta Knight. The latter of them wore a jersey-colored cape rather than a traditional jersey, likely to compensate for his round stature.

If I were to sum up the experience in one word... breathtaking.


After changing out of my uniform and returning to my Decidueye form, I met up with the others back in the lobby, including our friends. "I don't know about you guys, but that was a thrilling experience!"

Paper Mario nodded. He folded himself into a heart shape before pulsating.

"Paper Mario's got the right idea," Rainbow said. "My heart was racing, and I felt like racing too!"

Meta Knight stealthily approached as usual, his eyes green in thoughtfulness. "We now know what challenges we will face. I shall build a varied team to counter all eight different elemental masters."

At that moment, a ring appeared, and the Doctor was forced out of it backwards. "Ugh! That Hoopa creature is such a mischievous thing. I dodged his ring pitfall this time, but he up and threw it at me from behind. I should learn to be more wary of my surroundings."

Leon and Rose walked towards us. Leon said, "Looks like you all made it! Nice job!"

Rose further approached us. "So you are the Trainers our Champion endorsed himself!"

I looked at the others. "All you guys were endorsed by Leon too?"

Leon nodded. "Yeah! Turns out they worked together to save this place called Equestria from a magic-absorbing monster. Hearing their story really made me want to let out Charizard and help them have a Champion time!"

Rose said, "Welcome, and it's a delight to meet you all! I'm Rose, of course." He glanced at me, the Doctor, Pummel, Heart, Pinkie, and Rainbow. "Oh, what's this?! I see some of you already own Dynamax Bands! How wonderful! It seems the six of you have been led here by the guiding light of the Wishing Stars. As a matter of fact, it was my wonderful company that invented those Dynamax Bands, you know!" He smiled. "I daresay this year's Gym Challenge is looking to be an absolute blast! Very good, very good indeed! That means the whole Galar region is in for some excitement! The Gym Challenge is an excellent opportunity to show off your Dynamax Pokemon! Now, I'm terribly sorry, but there is some urgent business I need to attend to, so I must be on my way. The best of luck to you all!" He then left the stadium to attend to business.

Leon said, "The chairman sure seems to be in high spirits! Now, listen closely, citizens of Equestria. You've only just started on your path as Galarian Trainers. If you want to win, you need to do more than just train your Pokemon. You need to train yourselves, too."

Rainbow scoffed, "Easy peasy, Champ. We beat up monsters and travel to dangerous places all the time. How's this gonna be any different?"

Pummel frowned. "Rainbow Dash, you don't even know what you have to go through in Gyms, do you? In Johto's Bug-type Gym, I had to traverse webs by means of robot spiders."

"So what? Daring Do may be afraid of spiders, but not me!"

"In Hoenn's Water-type Gym, I had to make every ice tile crack without stepping on one twice, or else I'd fall to the lower level. In Johto's Ghost-type Gym, I had to navigate a path shrouded in darkness, and one false step could send me plummeting."

"Dude, I can fly. I'm not afraid of heights!"

"Your wings will be underneath your jersey."

"Still not afraid of heights."

"Fine, you asked for it. In Kanto's Fire-type Gym, and in Sinnoh's Ghost-type Gym..." Pummel put on a devious grin. "...you must answer trivia and math questions respectively."

The look of sheer terror on Rainbow's face was priceless. "...Okay, I'd rather be an egghead than sorry. Better get to learning about Galar."

Hop turned to us. "Let's do it, guys! Did you know the Gym Challenge has a set order that you've gotta visit the Gyms in?"

The Doctor shook his head. "Where do we go first?"

"The first one is in Turffield. And to get there, we need to head to Route 3!"


According to my Rotom Phone, Route 3 was to the west of Motostoke and must be reached via the upper level. Therefore, I went in that direction, but before I could get far, one of the League staff stopped me. She gave each of us the phone number for what are called Flying Taxis. Apparently, they're Galar's variant of using Fly or Charizard Glide. We thanked her before continuing west.

I stopped just short of reaching the upper level's Pokemon Center and spoke with a young kid who had lost his Minccino, a chinchilla Pokemon. According to him, his Minccino enjoys water and whistling. The lower level, though, was too obvious, so I went to the next best place: Motostoke Stadium. There was a fountain on each side. I started with the left fountain. As I approached it, I heard the iconic "Mworp!" of a Minccino. I gave a whistle, and out came the gray furry critter. As a reward for finding it, I earned what appeared to be a Potion of some sort with a long thin nozzle. My Rotom Phone said it was a bottle of Throat Spray, which increases special attack power after using a sound-based attack. It might be useful for Meloetta. After helping the kid out, I continued west past the Pokemon Center, until...

"Hold on, Helix!" Rainbow Dash flew in front of me just as I was about to cross the bridge. "You're gonna run on ahead without even taking a moment to check out the sweet Pokemon I found?"

I casually said, "Oh, I'm sorry about that. I should have accounted for your competitive nature." I grinned. "Let me guess, you want to take me on in a Pokemon battle."

"Uh, yeah! You're gonna be my best opponent, 'cause you know the ups and downs of battling like I know the ups and downs of the Wonderbolts!" Rainbow took hold of one of her Poke Balls. "You ready for this?"

I prepared my hand to choose a Pokemon. "It's my mission to be ready."

"Then let's do this, full speed ahead!" Rainbow tossed the Poke Ball. "Go for it, Ninjask!" From her Poke Ball came a winged cicada with a yellow face except for a black band between its glowing red eyes.

"In that case, I choose Rookidee!" I sent out my round feathered friend. "Partner, that Pokemon's too fast for a normal strategy. Put up your guard and let Ninjask have the first move."

"You made a bad choice, Helix. Use Scratch!" Ninjask flew forward at blinding speeds with its front legs ready to slash.

I waited until the moment Ninjask began to strike. "...Now! Drop your guard!"

"Got it!" Just as Ninjask's attack made contact, Rookidee stopped guarding, somehow not taking any damage whatsoever as its eyes suddenly flashed yellow. "Not a scratch on me! You just got parried, Ninjask!"

"You only parried that because I'm just getting started. Use Double Team!" Ninjask moved at incredible speeds, making illusory copies of itself. They flew around erratically in an attempt to baffle Rookidee. "Now Fury Cutter!" Ninjask and the clones all rushed right at Rookidee with their claws out.

"Guard and parry as many attacks as you can to minimize damage!" I cringed as I gave that command. Truth is, I only said that to give me time to hatch a plan. He's not gonna last long out there if this keeps up, I thought. Fury Cutter deals more damage the more times it connects in a row, and with Ninjask's vast speed, it would undoubtedly connect many times. At this point, defense was futile...! A wild Idea appeared. "When in doubt, do what Ash Ketchum would do: Attack, attack, and attack some more! Fury Attack!"

"Finally! I thought you'd never figure out my way of battling!" Rookidee suddenly dropped his guard, parrying one last Fury Cutter, before recklessly pecking at the targets. While it was attacking, it flew around and baffled even Ninjask and its clones. With its last attack, it knocked the real Ninjask away, therefore removing the illusory copies, and emitted a blue glow like Grookey and Blipbug.

"What the hay?!" Rainbow exclaimed. "Don't tell me Rookidee's transforming into something totally stronger!"

I adjusted my glasses with a smirk. "If I didn't tell you that, I'd be withholding the truth. Rookidee, on with your evolution!"

Rookidee's body became longer, becoming more like that of a stereotypical bird, and its underbelly changed from yellow to light blue. Its wings had black tips, and its beak was somewhat hooked, like that of a raven. "I am no longer a rookie. I am now a squire... a Corvisquire!"

I checked my Rotom Phone. "Corvisquire, the raven Pokemon. A Flying-type, Corvisquire are smart enough to use tools to their advantage in battle, such as flinging rocks or tying up opponents with rope."

The Doctor checked his phone. "Going through many harsh battles and learning many lessons from those battles have taught Corvisquire to accurately judge the strength of its opponents."

"So, you use tools to your advantage?" I plucked one of my quills and tossed it to Corvisquire, who grabbed it with his talons. "Use this as you please."

"I won't let you down." Corvisquire performed a shuttle loop and launched the quill at Ninjask.

"Dodge it!" Rainbow Dash warned.

...But Ninjask refused. The quill sailed through the air straight towards him. He grabbed the quill when it was inches from his face. He glared at me. "Did you really think an owl pellet like you would be able to land your signature move on me? You've much yet to learn." Then he turned to Rainbow with the same glare. "And you, incompetent mule! You don't know a thing about Spirit Shackle, do you?"

Rainbow gave me a nervous look. "I don't know about you, but I think he's peeved."

I returned the look. "Yes. Ninjask called you an incompetent mule and called me a piece of poop. Just how much have you trained him?"

Rainbow shifted from side to side out of anxiety. "Uh... none? Why?"

I gave her a look that would put Cobalion to shame. "You idiot! Ninjask will refuse to obey its Trainer if not trained properly!" I took out a pair of wireless earbuds. "And since you neglected to train him, you will be punished severely..."

"You will indeed. I'll take care of this myself." Ninjask used Double Team again, but this time, they formed a circle around Corvisquire. Then...

SKREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

Ninjask let out an earsplitting screech that would have left me temporarily deaf had I not used the High-Tech Earbuds to block out Ninjask's Screech. Unfortunately, it made everyone else cringe in pain and harshly lowered Corvisquire's defense. "Now, succumb to my mighty quill!" The clones all charged at Corvisquire with their quill.

"Ninjask, put the quill down!" Lucario stepped forward angrily.

Ninjask stopped what it was about to do. "Oh? You're approaching me? Instead of backing off, you're coming straight to me?"

Lucario replied, "I cannot prevent you from beating the feathers out of Corvisquire if I don't get close. Now put the quill down. You know the way of Bushido."

Ninjask looked at its weapon. "...Old friend, you are correct. Bushido states that a samurai must win and lose honorably. But you forgot one thing: I am a ninja, not a samurai!" It rushed at the raven Pokemon. "Corvisquire, it is time for you to meet your end!"

"Hypocrite!" Corvisquire dove down, causing Ninjask and its clones to collide in the middle, dissipating the clones. He then attacked the real Ninjask with a move in which it slams into the target with its beak, Pluck. "You are the one who has met your end for this battle."

Ninjask fell to the ground, its eyes fading in color. "I've fallen..."

Rainbow looked at Ninjask in sadness before returning it to its Poke Ball. "Sorry about not training you, Ninjask... I'll remember to do that after this, because there's two more where that came from!" She tossed another Poke Ball, which produced a bipedal weasel with a red feather on its left ear. "Go, Sneasel!"

My eyes widened in fear. "An Ice-type physical attacker!"

"You got that right! Ice Shard!" I watched as Corvisquire helplessly fell victim to the shards of ice tossed at him.

"We underestimated Rainbow Dash and the partners she would have. I'm sorry, pal..." I returned Corvisquire to his Poke Ball. "I would normally sent out my starter in a time like this, but you said you had three Pokemon, not two." I sent out Dottler. "It's time for IQ over quadriceps! Reflect!" Dottler brought up a barrier that held off physical attacks. "Now prepare Struggle Bug!" Dottler hunkered down, ready to take on direct attacks.

"Looks like it's speed against defense!" Rainbow said. "Use Scratch!"

Sneasel lunged forward and tried to pierce Dottler's defenses with its claws, only to be launched away by Struggle Bug. "Never underestimate the might of supereffective attacks," Dottler said in a somewhat arrogant manner.

"So what if you did a number on Sneasel? In that case, we just won't give you the chance to strike! Quick Attack!"

Sneasel sped forward and tried once again to get past Reflect, but to no avail. Dottler punished Sneasel with another Struggle Bug. "At this point, you've already lost. I can prove it." One more Struggle Bug, and Sneasel was down for the count.

Rainbow Dash growled as she withdrew Sneasel. "I can't believe you beat both my Pokemon so easily! But it's time I gained the high ground, or in this case..." Without any warnings, Rainbow flew right for me and struck me with her left wing, the resulting blow causing me to fall to the lower level, next to a body of water. She soon followed, setting Dottler down next to me. "...high water!" She threw a Poke Ball out into the water, and out came a familiar species. "You're my last hope, Arrokuda!"

My eyes narrowed. "Careful, Dottler. We don't know what to expect with this new Pokemon. Use Reflect!"

"Don't give him a chance! Use Aqua Jet!" Arrokuda cloaked itself in water and blasted out of the water, heading straight for Dottler. However, Dottler's sturdy shell lessened the impact greatly, to the point that Dottler hardly flinched. "Tough guy, huh? Let's try Aqua Jet again, but aim low!" This time, Arrokuda struck Dottler's feet, flipping it over onto its shell.

"My only weakness has been revealed!" Dottler exclaimed. "My shell exists not only to enhance my psychic powers, but also to protect my soft body, which has now been exposed..."

I glanced at Rainbow Dash in fear. "I completely underestimated you. I hadn't a clue that you knew to use strategy..."

She shrugged. "Hey, I'm not just about hitting fast and hard! Wonderbolts like myself have to think about strategy as well. Now then, time for a supereffective blow! Use Bite!" Arrokuda sunk its sharp teeth into Dottler's soft flesh for the win. "That settles the score, two to two! What're you gonna do now, Helix?"

I solemnly closed my eyes as I thought about my next move. "I'm sorry, my little pony..." I opened my eyes and gave Rainbow a death stare. "...but you're gonna have a bad time. Go, my great atrocity!" I sent out, of all Pokemon... Magikarp.

Upon seeing the most pathetic Pokemon ever, Rainbow fell to the ground, laughing. "Ha ha ha! You think that a lame old fish like that can take on a speedy, strong fish like mine? Good luck with that! Time for another Aqua Jet!"

I watched Arrokuda repeatedly strike Magikarp with Aqua Jet, until I could tell that Magikarp was on its last legs--I mean, fins. "I've been holding back his power until now. It's time that you discover the true ferocity of Magikarp!" I tossed some of the blue candies into the water. Experience Candies, as my Rotom Phone had explained to me after the Max Raid Battles.

The water glowed bright blue. The glow increased rapidly in size. Seeing this, Rainbow's grin turned upside-down. "You're telling me that Magikarp evolves into... Well, so long Arrokuda..."

"What's the matter?" I deviously asked. "You've seen a Gyarados before?"

Rainbow went from sheer horror to mere sorrow and disappointment. "Yep. I would think it's awesome, but I'm on the receiving end now..."

Suddenly, the familiar long blue body of Gyarados burst out of the water, hitting Arrokuda hard by... slamming into it while seeming to scale an invisible waterfall? "Wait a minute, Gyarados learns Waterfall by leveling up?!"

Roborygon reviewed his database. "Apparently so. Good thing, too."

Moments later, Rainbow returned her fainted Arrokuda to its Poke Ball as my Gyarados roared in triumph. "Man, you really gave my Pokemon a beating, Helix... Especially with that Gyarados right out of nowhere!"

I snickered. "That's why I love Magikarp: it starts out weak, but it evolves into a monster that scares opponents out of their wits!"

"You know," Pummel said, "I'm surprised it isn't destroying things right now."

"Wait, what?!" the Doctor exclaimed. "What do you mean?!"

Roborygon explained, "Well, according to its Pokedex entry, Gyarados will destroy everything in its vicinity if it becomes enraged. And I would think that getting attacked repeatedly by Arrokuda would be enough to make it fly into a rage. However..." Roborygon analyzed my Gyarados. "...this Gyarados has the Calm nature. You see, every Pokemon has not only a type and ability, but also a nature. This Gyarados was calm enough to keep from wreaking havoc upon its surroundings."

I wiped away sweat from my forehead. "Good. I knew about its tendency to destroy things, but that was a risk I was willing to take. You've seen what my partners could do when I took on Team Yell, Rainbow, so I chose to pull a fast one on you. Although I kind of regret that now..."

"No worries, Helix," Rainbow said with a sad smile. "That Gyarados was actually pretty awesome, you know. Besides, you know more about Pokemon than I do, so I've got to give you that." She got over her defeat and firmly shook my wing with hers. "Nice job beating me, but you won't beat me next time!"

"We'll see about that," I replied with a grin. "Let's head to the Pokemon Center to heal up. Afterwards, on to Route 3!"

Author's Note:

Why the drum sting sound effect? Think about it. What does the word defeat sound like?