• Published 22nd Jul 2019
  • 513 Views, 25 Comments

Heart of Magic - TheCrimsonDM



It's been eighteen years since the great windigo war and Trixie has finally found peace. It looked like things would be quiet forever, but with the threat of the Alicorn Empire around the corner, can Trixie, Twilight, and Amber save the day?

  • ...
2
 25
 513

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter Forty Nine: Tunnel Trouble

Heart of Magic

Chapter Forty Nine: Tunnel Trouble

Written by TheCrimsonDM

Trixie had left Red to her own devices and was carrying Mistmane on her back. The old mare still had plenty of energy left and seemed to be recovering by the moment. With the discovery of Mistmane everything was going to change, and one of the biggest ones was going to be there next goal. Finding whatever remained of the Guardians of Harmony.

Trixie found the old Castle of the Two Sister’s easily enough and landed in the courtyard. It took no longer than a few seconds after she let Mistmane down before the air popped sizzled and grew warm next to her as a bubble of fire appeared and from it appeared Amber. Amber didn’t hesitate to essentially pick Trixie up and suck her into an embrace so tight it almost hurt.

Amber spoke, “MOM! You’re here!”

Trixie laughed and wrapped her legs around Amber. She felt a lot more muscular than she had before, benefits of Fluttershy’s intense training no doubt. “Of course I am. How could I not come visit my baby?”

Moments later Valiant Heart and Maud appeared. Trixie had to force herself away from Amber to go hug Val. “I’m so glad you’re here for them when I can’t be.”

Val buried her tiny head into Trixie’s shoulder. “Mmhmm!”

Maud approached them and smiled. “Lulu.”

“Maud.”

Maud looked Trixie’s mane up and down and let out a sigh. She somehow had a hairbrush on her person, maybe she’d been hanging out with Rarity too much again. She grabbed some of Trixie’s tangled messy mane. “If you’re going to be out on adventures you need to at least make yourself presentable.”

Trixie yelped as Maud worked through painful knots. “Maud, I just got done with a- ow!- fight. Of course my mane is- aah.”

Maud shook her head. “No excuses. I might have to punish you later for this.”

Trixie suddenly let go of Valiant heart and swallowed. “Um… you know, I have some free time… maybe I should just get my punishment over with, um, now?”

Maud gave her a level look that could mean anything. “Girls, me and Trixie have some important and private things to discuss. Go play with your cousins.”

Valiant Heart sniffed the air and made a disgusted face. Amber rolled her eyes. “You’ve been married for how long and you’re still bucking like teenagers. I get less action then you two.”

Trixie and Maud both shot a glare at Amber and spoke together. “You should not be getting any ‘action’!”

Amber rubbed at the back of her head. “Heh… um, yeah. I was just joking.”

Trixie glanced back at Mistmane who was staring at the castle with an odd look in her eyes. “Mistmane, this is my family, the tall one is my daughter Amber, the short one is my other daughter Valiant Heart. They’ll take you somewhere you can rest so we will continue our discussion later.”

Mistmane nodded. “Of course. Please tend to your wife’s needs. I’ll be patient, if the world could wait a thousand years for me then I’m sure it will wait a few more hours.”

Trixie nodded and looked back at Maud. “I suppose it’s time for my punishment now.”

Maud nodded. “Follow me, you naughty pony.”

Trixie never felt so happy to be in trouble in her whole life.

***

Fang stood in the new tunnel setting up dynamite into holes dug into the wall. The short rest was needed and the new task was helpful but they continued to send him to these new tunnels day after day. He proved he could survive using dynamite but he could only assume the ponies were still trying to kill him.

It wasn’t until today that things felt a little different, a little strange. The guards who were supposed to be watching him were both facing away and watching the tunnel with weapons drawn as if they expected trouble. Fang was there with one other, a pony with dirty brown fur and a silvered mane.

The pony spoke. “You hear about Applecore? Got locked up in the box for bad behavior.”

Fang grunted. He’d heard, it’s happened before, but Applecore would be released and live some more. At least until he didn’t.

The pony continued. “Things are getting weird here too. Guards are on edge.”

Fang glanced back at the guards who seemed to not be paying attention. They were busy sharing a flask of purple liquid that smelled faintly of grapes and something… else.

The pony continued. “I hear some guards are going missing. Same with some miners.”

Fang glanced at him and spoke in a low gravely voice. “Talking not good, guard get mad.”

The pony chuckled and set his pick axe down. “I don’t think they care. Hey, guards do you mind if we go on break?”

The guards didn’t respond.

He spoke again. “Whoohoo, guards, what if we just walk on out of here? Is that okay?”

Fang looked at the guards. They hadn’t even turned in their direction. Fang set down the dynamite. “Why, guard not yell or beat you?”

The pony smiled far too wide for something living as a prisoner. Fang watched cautiously as the pony walked up to the guard and tapped on the guard’s flank. “Man, I don’t think there all the way here today. Must be sick. Could be something they drank.”

Fang picked up a pickaxe with his one good hand and walked up the other guard. He walked to face the guard. The guard’s eyes were pitch black holes, the sockets were leaking some kind of purple ooze. There was a similar substance coming from their lips. Fang glanced at the pony who smiled and spoke full of cheer. “Don’t drink the wine, I think it might be infected with something.”

Fang gripped his pickaxe tighter. “Who are you?”

The pony smiled from ear to ear, his teeth jagged and sharp, his eyes took on a purplish hue. “Why, I’m the hero who’s ending this prison of slavery and death. If you wish to regain your honor, to dig freely, to visit your kin, come with me and after we pick up a few friends things should be pretty good.”

The pony began walking away. Fang looked at the guards, they were perfect statues but he couldn’t tell if they were dead or not. Streams of purple liquid were beginning to run down their eyes like tears. If he stayed he’d be blamed for this, so he wasn’t given much an option but to leave. If he was going though he wasn’t going to go without some measure of protection. He picked up the bag of dynamite, slung it over his shoulder and followed after the strange brown pony. Once he was out of here he would go visit his kin, assuming any were left alive.

He thought he’d be here until he died, but this was a chance at freedom. Forced upon him or not, he was still going to take it.

PreviousChapters Next