• Published 28th Jun 2019
  • 978 Views, 63 Comments

Realm of the Lost - Orsuros



You may have heard the official version of what happened underneath Twilight's School, but this is the real story of how the the Student 6 brought Equestria's magic back from the void. An interactive, CYOA-style story.

  • ...
3
 63
 978

Chapter 15: The Chase

Follow the windigo into the mountains.

Yona watched as the others started to fly after the windigo. Starlight teleported past the bushes or rocks in the way, but Yona would have to smash her way up the path. Yona scraped her right hoof against the ground and lowered her head as she prepared to charge. The bushes were no match for her horns, and she sent several small boulders rolling down the mountain behind her as she kept up with the rest of her friends.

An icy gale pushed Gallus into one of the cliffs. The griffon was scraped up. Yona offered him a hoof to help him back up.

“No fair. All friends have magic or flying. Yona just have hooves.”

Gallus lifted himself back into the air with one of Yona’s horns. “Hooves might be better here. I’m a good flier, but that windigo is making the winds hard to fly against. But I’ll show her!”

Silverstream was getting ahead of everyone even while carrying the little kobold, and Gallus raced to catch up. Another icy blast blew him into another mountainside. Yona ran to where he had crashed.

“Is Gallus okay? Yona can carry Gallus if flying is too hard.”

“I’m fine! It just caught me off guard.” Gallus huffed and flapped his wings.

Yona started to gain on the windigo again, but Starlight and Silverstream were still ahead of her as she leaped and trampled up the mountain paths. The swirling clouds thinned and revealed a massive fortress. A small plume of smoke came from the open gate.

The windigo raced inside. Starlight held out a hoof to motion for the group to stop, but Yona’s hooves slipped on the loose gravel and she smashed into a large rock. The rock cracked loudly enough to make Yona’s ears ring.

A group of dark spirits stepped out of the gate upon hearing the noise.

“Umbrum?” Starlight gasped. “Everyone, gather close. Let’s try an invisibility spell. Hold your breath.”

Starlight’s horn sparked. Yona and her friends took on a faded look, but the magic fizzled.

“Intruders!” An umbrum shouted. “We’re being attacked from outside, too!”

The windigo they had followed stepped out behind the umbrum guards. “They are ponies and other creatures. I was trying to bring them here for our rulers. Capture them!”

“I can sense Smolder and Sandbar nearby,” Starlight said. “Run in and find them. I’ll take care of these guards.”

“Wait! Saffron help brave pony!” The little kobold hopped off Silverstream’s back and ran to Starlight’s side.

Starlight smiled as her horn glowed. She shot several blasts of magic near the guards. Each shot caused the guards to move away from the gate, and soon it was wide open.

“Starlight is so cool!” Silverstream said. “I wish I could do magic like that!”

“Less talking and more flying!” Gallus said.

Yona watched as the umbrum and windigo fought with Starlight. Her spells and shield flashed, but one of the umbrum slipped in and kicked her in the side. Starlight grunted and yelled out in frustration.

“Back off!”

A burst of magic stunned the guards.

“Follow smoke to Smolder!” Yona yelled as they ran through the huge metal gates.

The smoke streamed through the top of an archway at the end of the entry hall. Yona ran with her friends past the pillars, but she skidded to a halt as she saw Sandbar and Smolder backing up through the archway.

Convince Smolder to fall back.

“Stay back!” Smolder shouted. She breathed a small plume of fire, but it was barely strong enough to get past her snout. Two umbrum and one windigo held back and watched the fire carefully.

“The cavalry has arrived!” Gallus said.

“Go Smolder! Don’t let them get you!” Silverstream shouted.

Smolder looked back and smiled as she saw her friends. She breathed in. She started to cough.

“Come on Smolder!” Silverstream cheered. “Don’t choke now!”

Smolder took another breath and let out a huge pillar of flame. The windigo dodged most of it and was barely scorched. Both of the umbrum were hit by the full flame. One collapsed. The other looked to be barely holding together.

“Yona will protect friends from evil spirits!”

Yona stepped in front of Smolder and Sandbar. They both looked exhausted and beat up. Yona wasn’t going to let these spirits hurt her friends more. Gallus and Silverstream flapped in the air above her.

The windigo screeched. An icy vortex swirled around it. Gallus charged in and slashed at both spirits. The umbrum collapsed, but the windigo still stood. It waved its hooves. The icy winds around it howled. Ice crystals formed on the floor and walls around them.

“Yona protect friends!”

Yona jumped forward and pushed Gallus and Silverstream out of the way. Yona’s ears, hooves, and nose went numb even beneath her thick fur. It was colder than the coldest winter winds at Yakyakistan. Yona’s hooves and legs froze to the floor. Yona twisted her legs and the ice cracked, but she felt like she could barely stand up.

“Smolder! We need your fire to take that thing down!” Gallus shouted. He pressed a talon to the sapphire at the center of the circlet on his head. It glowed blue. The same faint blue glow surrounded Smolder.

Smolder clenched her claws. “We aren’t giving up!”

The windigo waved a hoof and sent the howling winds at them again. A flash of magic from each of them blocked the freezing gale. Smolder’s bright flame pierced through and shot the windigo out of the air. It crashed into the wall and didn’t get up.

Yona stared at the room past the archway. The banners and thrones were in pieces on the floor. A dragon, umbrum, yak, and earth pony fought two windigo until they brought one of the two down. On the far side of the throne room, blasts of darkness and chaos met. The magic flashed so quickly that Yona felt like she was a few steps behind what was actually happening. Ice spears formed in the air and flung at two shadowy alicorns while the two fought back with rays, spikes, and shields of pure darkness.

The unsettling chaos that warped that half of the room twisted things in unnatural ways. The male alicorn dodged several spears of ice, but the chaos warped the room. He suddenly ran into the attacks he had just dodged. He yelled out in pain. The shadows he was made of swirled until his body wasn’t pierced, but then he collapsed.

The female alicorn growled and flashed her sharp teeth at the hippogriff at the center of the swirling chaos and madness. “Storm Surge, you’ll pay for this!”

The windigo that was still fighting pulled back. A bubble of darkness surrounded the two alicorns and the windigo. With a loud pop, they vanished.

The hippogriff landed on the floor. He was breathing hard, but he looked at where the alicorn had been. “You can run from the future lord of chaos, for now.”

The other creatures in the room morphed into hippogriffs and surrounded their leader. He waved a talon and they relaxed.

“They’re friends,” Sandbar said.

“Is Sandbar sure?” Yona asked. Staring into the madness and chaos around their leader had felt wrong in too many ways for Yona to trust these strange hippogriffs.

“Yeah, Storm Surge helped me. It’s so good to see you all.” Sandbar gave each of them a quick hug.

Smolder sat against the wall and waved weakly. “Thanks for the help. Those windigo were tough.”

Starlight and Saffron ran into the room. Starlight created a barrier around them. “Don’t trust him. I sense ancient and evil magic.”

The blinking eyes on Storm Surge’s wings turned back to regular yellow spots. The aura of chaos and madness around him faded to nothing.

“I’d rather not fight you right now,” Storm Surge said. “With Shade and Nightmare on the run, I can claim this territory and some of its power for myself. In exchange, you can take these two artifacts. They’re part of what you’ll need to get back home. If you promise to avoid wearing them, they’re yours.”

Storm Surge snapped his talons. A suit of dark armor and a cape made of flowing shadows appeared in front of him.

Yona didn’t like the look of either of them. She looked over at Starlight to see what to do.

Starlight took a careful look at both items. “Nightmare Moon’s armor and the Pony of Shadow’s cape?”

Storm Surge nodded. “Right. Avoid wearing them. They corrupt those who wear them until Shade or Nightmare gain control. But they have enough magic to help you in other ways. If you promise to continue helping me, they’re yours.”

“Those could be part of the spell to get back, but what do you get out of it?”

“You’ve managed to upset the balance of power in this realm. Sandbar was already so helpful in gaining me a foothold here, so he deserves a reward for his service. I think we all need a rest after that fight. My guards will keep you safe.”

Yona didn’t trust these strange hippogriffs, and the unconscious monsters in the throne room looked like terrible abominations. But most of her friends were hurt and needed to be cared for.

Starlight gathered all of them around her and whispered. “Sandbar, should we trust him? I could fight him.”

Sandbar shook his head. “That wouldn’t be friendly, and he helped me. Let’s take the armor and cape and get some rest. I can barely keep standing.”

  1. Take the offer.
  2. Fight Storm Surge and his guards while they are weak.
  3. Refuse the offer and walk away.
Author's Note:

Voting closed for this chapter.
Or feel free to leave an alternate suggestion in the comments. If I see any great ones, I might use them instead.

Character sheets and story notes here.

And here's the behind the curtains rolls/events:

Body: !1d6 / Fly: !1d10, Body: !1d12 / Stomp: !1d10, Body: !1d6 / Fly !1d10, Body: !1d8 / Teleport !1d12 vs Body: !1d10 / Fly !1d8
Body: 3 / Fly: 10, Body: 6 / Stomp: 3, Body: 1 / Fly 4, Body: 8 / Teleport 2 vs Body: 6 / Fly 4
Exploding dice: (Silverstream) Fly !1d12, (Starlight) Body: !1d10
Exploding dice: (Silverstream) Fly 9, (Starlight) Body: 9
(Gallus loses 2 stamina)

Body: !1d6 / Fly: !1d10, Body: !1d12 / Stomp: !1d10, Body: !1d6 / Fly !1d10, Body: !1d8 / Teleport !1d12 vs Body: !1d10 / Fly !1d8
Body: 4 / Fly: 8, Body: 5 / Stomp: 7, Body: 1 / Fly 1, Body: 5 / Teleport 7 vs Body: 2 / Fly 4
(Galus loses 3 stamina)

Body: !1d10
Body: 4
!mythic ask 6 Does Yona make enough noise to give them away?
Does Yona make enough noise to give them away?
Yes

Invisibility: !1d4 vs Mind: !1d12
Invisibility: 2 vs Mind: 10

Mind: !1d12
Mind: 7
!mythic ask 3 Does Starlight successfully distract the guards?
Does Starlight successfully distract the guards?
Yes

Stun Ray: !1d12, Teleport !1d12, Forcefield: !1d8
Stun Ray: 12, Teleport 2, Forcefield: 2
Exploding Dice: !1d20
Exploding Dice: 4
(Starlight loses 2 stamina)

Random Event: (Character action) Smolder : The Befriend of Status quo

Fire Breath: !d10
Fire Breath: 1
!mythic ask 9 Does Smolder's fire intimidate the guards?
Does Smolder's fire intimidate the guards?
Yes

(Lots of fight rolls. Yona and magic of Harmony protect the group from two party wipes.)
Yona loses 7 stamina. Everyone in the scene loses 1 friendship token.

And with that, almost everyone is together! Gallus rolled poorly on the way up the mountains. The windigos kept rolling amazing for their icy attack. Yona had to shield everyone from one of those, or they would have all been wiped out. Her thick hide and magic resistance helped her absorb some of the damage. A second attack would have taken out everyone, so they had to rely on the magic of Harmony to keep them safe in that situation. As long as they have friendship tokens, I'll use those to help them when needed.