• Published 13th Aug 2012
  • 1,264 Views, 4 Comments

Choice of Differences - Artie Downer



Fix 'Er Up is got in a place no stallion wants to be. A love triangle...

  • ...
2
 4
 1,264

The First Night

I hate places like this. The damn music is always too loud. You can't even hear yourself think, let alone have a conversation with a friend of yours.

Of course, I came here alone. I didn't work today because the boss got sick or something, and I thought it'd be fun to go out for once. I asked some of my friends if they wanted to come, but they all declined.

I gave this place another shot since one of my co-workers brought me here for my 21st birthday and they felt like getting me wasted. It was really generous of them, but I just couldn't stand the club with all the Celestia-awful music that doesn't even have lyrics to it.

But, I decided to come back, and I have regretted it so far. Everypony else is dancing and having a fun time while I just sit here with my cider. Even in a nice and quiet place like Ponyville, you can get real lonely.

I am just about ready to leave until this unicorn sat at the table I am lounging at. In all honesty, I've never seen a pony like her. She has a pure white coat, but what really strikes me is her mane. It's a combination of blue and neon blue or something like that. I really can't describe it. And I really can't tell if it's natural or not.

She saw me looking at her. "Hey, pal. What are you looking at?" She seems pissed.

"Uh, nothing. I was just looking at your mane. I think it's really cool."

I prepare myself for a drink thrown in my face, but instead I hear laughter. "Haha, you like mane, boy? Not a lot of ponies ever really tell me that." She's smiling, so that means I didn't offend her.

"Really? I was just thinking about how unique and bright it looks. Like it has a light source of its own."

"Heh, wow, you're a really player, you know that?" She scoots closer to me. She looks me in the eyes, but I can't see hers because they're covered by these sunglasses. I don't know why you'd need to wear sunglasses inside though.

I laugh nervously. "I'm a player, am I?"

"Yup, you sure are." The mare gives me a big toothy grin. "What's your name?"

"Uh, Fix 'Er Up."

Like she just heard the funniest joke in the world, she laughs. "Fix 'Er Up? What's that suppose to mean?" It looks like she's wiping tears from her eyes from the laughter. I still don't get a good look at them.

"Well, I work in construction. See?" I point to my cutie mark, which is a hammer. The mare leans real close to my flank, which makes me a bit uncomfortable.

"Oh, I guess that makes sense then. Hehe." As the mare pulls herself straight up, I try and get a good look at her face. Save from eyes, which I can't see, I think she's really cute. A bit sexy, even.

I ask, "What's your name?"

The mare grins proudly and answers, "Vinyl. Vinyl Scratch. Ponyville's best DJ."

"You're a DJ?"

"You bet your flank I am!" She points to her cutie mark, which is some kind of musical note.

I smile at her, politely, and say "It's pleasure to meet you, Miss Scratch."

"Miss Scratch? No no no, you call me Vinyl. I'm ain't a mom yet!" I'm kinda taken aback by that comment, cause it doesn't look like she's the kind to have kids.

"OK, Vinyl. It's nice to meet you."

"You too, Fix 'Er Up."

I laugh and say, "You can just all me Fix 'Er. It's like "fixer" and everyone can remember it."

Vinyl laughs to and asks, "So, you having fun here, Fix 'Er?"

"Well, I'm having fun now, talking to you. But earlier, I was just sitting here drinking some cider alone."

Vinyl frowns and exclaims, "Well, won't be having any of that in my club!"

"Wait, your club?"

"Well, duh, of course this is my club. I'm the DJ here. I came over here for a quick break, but..." Vinyl scoots closer to me. "... I think I'm through for night." Finally, Vinyl raises her glasses and places them over her horn, and BAM I see them. Pure red eyes looking straight into my green ones. They're magnificent.

"Um..."

Vinyl yells over into the crowd, "Waiter, get us two Applejack Daniels here, stat!"

"You're not going to be able to get a drink like that."

"Dude, I own this club. I get anything I want here." She momentarily puts her hoof on my chest. "Anything."

I want to try to get this conversation going somewhere else and say, "Um, I'm not really that much of a drinker, you know. I think Applejack Daniels is a bit too much for me."

Just then, as if one cue, a mare delivers our drinks to the table. "Oh, c'mon, Fix 'Er! Loosen up a bit! Have fun!" Vinyl takes her mug and chugs the entire drink right in front of me. She flattens the mug by pressing it against her forehead and tosses it aside. All I did was take a sip.

"Um... it's good." I reply sheepishly.

Vinyl brought back that wide grin on her face. "Hey, waiter! Two more over here!"


Vinyl and I clumsily walk into her house. We're both pretty wasted. It wasn't until I felt a bit sick from the drinks that we left.

"You uh... OK there, Vinyl?" hiccup

"Whoo! I'm so hiccup hammered!" A huge grin them appears on her face. She taps my cutie mark. "You know, I hiccup wouldn't mind getting hammered in another way, if you hiccup know what I mean. Hehehee..."

Now, I'm getting confused. "What do you mean, Vinyl?" hiccup

All of a sudden, Vinyl's tail is wrapped around my neck. "Oh, c'mon Fix 'Er. You hiccup know." She starts pulling me up the stairs and leads me to a door.

"What are we hiccup going to do hiccup here?"

Vinyl pulls me closer, this time with her hooves. "You're a cute guy, you know that? Why don't fix me up?" A few seconds later, she hiccups again.

I'm drunk and Vinyl's drunk and I'm being courted by a hot unicorn. I guess today's my lucky day.

Vinyl opens the door and throws herself on the bed. It's too dark, so I don't really see any of her room. I walk over to her bed and lean my head onto hers.

She kisses me.


Ugh, my head hurts. What happened? Wait, this isn't my bed. And who has their leg wrapped around me? I look down and there's Vinyl. She's resting her head on my chest like a pillow. Celestia, she looks so cute. I remember now. I went to the club, talked to her, and then we did it.

I guess I'm not a virgin anymore.

What do I do anyways? This has never happened to me before so I don't know what to do. Do I go? Do I stay? Does this mean we're going out?

Vinyl starts waking up. Her sunglasses are gone. She opens her eyes, showing those gorgeous red eyes of her and says to me, "Mm, good morning, my little fixer."

'Uh... good morning."

She sits up straight and stretches her front legs. "Wow, last night was great." Vinyl glomps me and says, "You were pretty good. The best I had in a while, if you ask me." She's smiling at me. Was I really that good? It was my first time after all.

"Uh, yeah. You were pretty great too."

"Vinyl, are you here!? I'm back!"

Vinyl and I immediately look at the door where the voice is coming from. It sounds the exact opposite of Vinyl's. It sounds all posh and sophisticated.

"Crap, it's my roommate!" Vinyl jumps out the bed and starts cleaning up. Now that I think about it, I didn't get a good look at her place either. It looks like a bunch of techno music equipment with spin tables and speakers. She's definitely a musician.

"What are you doing?" I ask her.

"Shh! You gotta hide! My roommate doesn't like 'guests' without her knowing." She sounds really panicked so I got off the bed.

There's a knock at the door. "Vinyl, are you there? If you are, open this door right now!"

Vinyl starts motioning her head to under the bed. I move under there and make myself as small as possible.

I hear Vinyl walk over to the door and open it. "Octavia! You're back from Canterlot! How was the concert at the Gala?"

I hear nothing until the posh voice, Octavia's I guess, says "Did you do something, Vinyl? You never ask me about my performances."

"Whaat? No! Hehe... It just that, you've been gone for so long, and I missed you!"

"...I've been gone for two days and you never miss me."

I'm guessing Vinyl's not a good actress.

I see grey hooves enter the room. "Did you bring a date here again?"

"Uh..."

"Vinyl! You know how much I hate it when you bring random stallions here!"

By that statement, I hope I didn't catch something.

"Where is he!?"

"Octavia, nopony's here. I swear!"

I'm really trying to make my presence unknown now.

A pair of two grey hooves stand right in front of my face while I'm still hiding. Then, a grey face lowers to my eye level. She looks serious.

"Get. OUT."

I scurry out from under the bed as fast as I can. She looks like she was going to kick my flank any second. I zoom past Vinyl and out of the room.

As I'm on the stairs, I hear Vinyl yell, "I'll call you!" Huh, I guess I get out a marefriend now.

I walk out of Vinyl and, apparently now, Octavia's house. I really do wonder if I'll ever see that DJ pony again.