• Published 15th Jun 2019
  • 1,179 Views, 10 Comments

How to ship humans - Lumos



When fate conspires against you taking advantage of an interdimensional anomaly you have no other choice than to look on the bright side of life. Marek didn't expect that he'll face a rollercoaster of emotions while being stranded on an alien world.

  • ...
4
 10
 1,179

Moving is good for you

When Marek and Klara returned to the library after a short exchange of opinions, he had the opportunity to meet the rest of her friends. One of them, for some reason, was hiding behind the curls of her mane every now and then, the second couldn't take her eyes off his clothes, and the third was holding a hoof on his shoulder, claiming that she understood what he was feeling. All of them expressed sincere sympathy and assured him that they would help him through it, but it did not comfort him. Later, the most energetic of her friends made several attempts to lighten the mood, but they backfired, making the situation even more awkward.

“I guess you're wondering where you're going to live now," Twilight said. “You can stay with me until you find your own place.”

“Thanks a lot. I don't know what I'd have done if I had found myself out on the street.”

“You don't have to thank me. I would never forgive myself if I left you alone with this problem.”

“Can you show me where I'm gonna sleep? I'm not in the mood for chatting today, so I think I'll just retire for the evening.”

“Of course! Follow me.”

Twilight took Mark to the guest room. It wasn't very spacious, but it had to do. The man lay down on his bed, and then stared at the ceiling for a long time until he finally fell asleep.

***

Marek was sound asleep in the bed that Twilight lent him as he was woken up by the sound of a knocked frying pan and a loud announcement that breakfast is ready. Finally, he reluctantly come out from under the covers. Then he quickly did his morning routine and headed for the kitchen. He was greeted by subdued smiles and awkward silence, which reminded him what happened yesterday. However, loud stomach rumbling quickly shifted his focus, making it clear that certain things cannot be ignored. So he sat on the chair indicated to him, looked at his plate, and after a moment of hesitation he started to eat pancakes with enthusiasm. After all, they were his favorite dish, so it would be a shame if they went to waste.

After breakfast, Twilight informed Mark that Rarity had prepared a blue tracksuit for him and that he should put it on as Klara would be coming soon. Seeing that he had no other option, the man took her advice. After a while he heard a knock on the door. When Twilight opened it with magic, he was slightly surprised, but he quickly remembered yesterday's explanation of the purple alicorn. I'm gonna have to get used to a lot of things, he thought. Then Marek noticed Klara. She was wearing a red shirt and orange shorts.

“Hi! Why don't you take a break from your depressing thoughts for a moment? Nothing makes you feel better than jogging in the morning.” - Klara grinned.

“Hello! You don't have to convince me of that. Physical exercise induces the body to secrete endorphins, which cause euphoric states. You can even become addicted to it”

“Look at you. I didn't know you knew anything about neurobiology,” the woman said with admiration.

“There's a lot of things that you don't know about me. As far as running is concerned, I am not very eager to do it. I've read that too intense exercise is bad for health.”

Klara rolled her eyes.

“We're gonna trot. That shouldn't tire you out too much.”

“All right,” answered Marek. Then he went out the door and started running slowly together with Klara.

***

“Psst. Are they gone yet?” - Somebody's voice came from behind the tree.

“Yes,” Twilight answered, taking her telescope, “I'm having second thoughts about your plan.”

“Trust me. I've read so many romance novels that I'm an expert in this field.”

Both ponies approached a balloon hidden by an invisibility spell, and then got into the basket, disappearing completely from view.

***

Marek was trotting along the dirt road, still not believing what he has just gotten himself into. He could not deny, however, that Klara's company was a ray of sunshine dispersing the fog of his grim everyday life.

“Oh, man.” The woman hit her forehead with her hand. “I just realized that we hardly know anything about each other. It's about time we finally change that. Maybe I'll start. I was born in Germany, and for the last several years I had been living there. I worked at the psychology department of Hamburg University, specializing in self-confidence therapies.

Marek thought that fate must have a sense of humor, because that's what he lacked.

“It's an interesting coincidence. I have always wanted to study psychology, but due to the unattractive career prospects I was forced to choose a different major. In order to avoid the tedious cramming, I started to read books about memory techniques. In time, I got engrossed in research papers from all fields related in some way to memory, and I even wrote a few articles on their basis... I'd better stop talking, because I'm about to start prattling about different theories, and I don't want to bore you.”

“You don't have to worry about that. I'd love to hear what's changed in science since my move. I think we'll find a lot to talk about.” Klara smiled warmly. “Do you have any other surprising interests? I like to draw anime characters that I watch and read fantasy books. Maybe that's why I got used to living here so quickly.

“Well, I have a talent for accidentally finding weaknesses in things. Normally it can be annoying, but it makes it easier for me to discover gaps in various studies. Ich spreche zwei Fremdsprachen. Aber mein Deutsch ist nicht so gut. Z kolei moim językiem ojczystym jest polski.”

Klara suddenly stopped, shocked by what she had just heard.

“You speak German?” Ich dachte, dass ich die einzige Person hier bin, die es spricht. Mówisz też po polsku?! Moja babcia była Polką i trochę się go od niej nauczyłam. Ale nadal robię dużo błąd.”

“I think we'll get along just fine. Do you like making pranks?” Marek smirked.

***

Rarity and Twilight listened with undisguised curiosity to what the couple was talking about using a spell cast on Marek's clothes.

“What! Marek is a scientist by avocation?!” Twilight started prancing and couldn't stop her excitement. “All this unknown neurobiological knowledge is literally at hoof. I must pick his brain at the earliest opportunity.

“Oh, they have common interests. This bodes well for the future... Twilight, what are they saying now? I don't understand anything," the white unicorn said, looking through the telescope.

“Wow! That sounds like Germane and East Ponish. I had no idea they knew them. I am now beginning to regret that I have chosen Old Ponish and Prench as my extracurricular activities. Hmm... I think he said that-”

Suddenly, something hit the balloon with great force, almost overturning the basket and forcing Twilight to make an emergency landing and turn off the invisibility. Soon both ponies spotted the source of their problem on the ground.

“Ouch. What did I just hit? There was nothing there.”

“Rainbow? What are you doing here?”

“I was watching Marek and Klara unnoticed, but when I turned back I suddenly came across an invisible wall... Wait a minute.” The pegasus run her eyes over his friends and the basket. “I hit your balloon. I hope you have a good excuse for creating a threat to air traffic.”

“Horned ponies exchanged embarrassed looks and started explaining nervously their behavior”

***

“Did you hear that? It sounded like a hit," Marek said.”

“Pinkie is probably testing her cannon again.”

“If you say so. Continuing with the subject, do you think people with aphantasia can use the memory palace?”

“I'm guessing that's a trick question, so I'm gonna say yes.”

“Good answer. They just have to-” Mark's words drowned out in the noise generated by salesponies calling for their goods to be purchased.

Author's Note:

This story idea turned out to be more than I can handle. Feel free to make your own version.