• Published 23rd Aug 2019
  • 588 Views, 9 Comments

Clash of the Bolts: Battle for the Skies - Whooves235



Rainbow Dash was always a loyal Wonderbolt, but she was also a loyal marefriend to Applejack. When an old enemy returns from Rainbow and Equestria's past, will she be able to keep her marefriend out of danger, or will danger find them?

  • ...
4
 9
 588

Chapter 2

Applejack was growing impatient. She had been working all day, and had yet to see her marefriend. Rainbow was disappearing more often lately, and it was aggravating. Applejack and Rainbow had been living with each other for four months now, and with the zap apple harvest coming close to season she needed her more than ever. When she woke up today she had found the pony was missing, and that a note had been left for her.

Hey Applejack,

I’m sorry I haven’t been home for a while today. I have to head to the Wonderbolts camp today for training, and because I will be gone for most of the day today, I have a surprise for you.

Around 5:00, I will come to the house to pick you up for a special date night, so please look at your best. Trust me.

Love, Dashie.

Applejack smiled at the note. She always found it funny that the only ponies to call her Dashie were herself and Pinkie, and how Rainbow has gotten used to her being called that, she even blushes still when called that.

It was already 4:30, and Applejack was looking the best she could make herself look. As she walked down the stairs to the living room, she could hear Applebloom talking with Rainbow’s daughter, Scootaloo. Since Scootaloo was living with her as well now, she knew they would be talking for a while. Granny Smith was out with Big Mac, and they would not be back for a couple of hours.

Just then there was a knock at the door. As Applejack opened the door she saw Rainbow Dash, wearing what appeared to be a tuxedo, which caused a chuckle out of the farm pony.

“Stop Laughing!” Rainbow said, a blush coming to her cheeks.

“̈Sorry, sorry.”Applejack stopped chuckling and looked at the still blushing Pegasus. “it's just you don't normally wear stallion clothing.”

“Applejack, I have told you a million times, I don't do dresses,” Rainbow said. “Besides, I rock a tux.”

"So you ready to go, Mr. Dash?" Applejack asked sarcastically.

“Oh shut up, you,” Rainbow said, nudging Applejack in the shoulder.

"You still haven’t told me where we’re going yet," Applejack said as she closed the door behind her.

"It’s a surprise," Rainbow said, a smug look on her face.

As Rainbow and Applejack walked towards Ponyville, Applejack was suddenly struck with awe at the sight of their transport. It was a royal chariot, just like the one Twilight had arrived in when she moved to Ponyville all those years ago.

"Rainbow Dash... how can you even afford this?” asked Applejack, her breath taken away.

"Hey, being in the Wonderbolts has its perks," Rainbow said with a smile on her face.

The royal stallion then asked Rainbow Dash, "Where to, Mrs. Dash?"

"The Royal Castle," Rainbow Dash said, and with that, the chariot took off for the Royal Castle. Unbeknownst to Applejack and Rainbow Dash, this would be a night they would remember for the rest of their lives.

The Royal Castle/Grand Galloping Gala

As the chariot landed on the ground, Applejack and Rainbow proceeded to walk to the Royal Castle. "Rainbow, since when are you a fan of going to The Grand Galloping Gala?"

"I'm not!" Rainbow said. "I just wanted to have a fun time with my Marefriend, and the Gala happened to be this night, and since the last time we went was hectic what with the Smooze and Discord, I thought that we could have a redo. Just the two of us?"

“Well then, shall we?” Applejack said with a warm smile.

“We shall.”

Two Hours Later

So far, the date had been going exactly as Rainbow had planned: Applejack was having the time of her life, and frankly Rainbow was as well. The band had played good music, and the food was delicious. Now all Rainbow had to do was pop the question. Rainbow Dash and Applejack had been sitting at the table for quite some time now, to the point where Applejack was wondering what else Rainbow was up to. So far the night had been going perfectly and frankly, she wanted to know what was going to happen next.

"So... how's it been at the Wonderbolts for you so far?" Applejack said, wanting to start up a conversation.

"Oh, it's going great so far. I've made a lot of friends that are all nice. But to tell you the truth, none of them can really fly as fast as me. Not to brag, but I think I’m probably the fastest flier there."

"So why did you have to leave so early today?" Applejack asked. "It's getting close to Zap Apple season and I could really use your help."

"I’m sorry Applejack, it's just that I have been taking too many days off, and I don't want Spitfire to get upset with me," Rainbow said. "Plus, today was kinda important."

"Are you all going on another tour?" Applejack said bluntly.

"No, it's actually about something serious," Rainbow said.

"What happened? Did somepony get hurt?" Applejack said, worried.

"The Wonderbolts are all fine, it's actually about the Crystal Empire. Apparently an assassin came and killed the lead guard."

"You mean that Flash Sentry Twilight use to date?" Applejack said.

"Yeah, he was found dead, and the culprit is somepony I knew," Rainbow frowned. "It's hard to believe she would do something like that anyways. Sure she was reckless, but enough to kill somepony?"

"I'm sure whatever is going on in the Empire is being taken care of," Applejack said. "Besides, I did see a couple of Wonderbolts here, so we’re not in any danger."

"Yeah, that was Spitfire’s doing. She wanted most of the guards to come here to look after the gala," Rainbow said. "Most of the popular bolts are back at HQ. Spitfire said that she needs her best at HQ so we can supply backup if anything happens."

"Well, as long as everything is ok. I'm sure we have nothing to worry about," Applejack said.

Rainbow Dash took a deep breath. "Uhh Applejack, listen there's," Rainbow stuttered, "there's been something on my mind recently that I had to tell you."

Applejack was curious where this was going. "What is it, Dash?" Applejack said "You feeling ok? you look worse then Winona after she ate that sour apple.”

"Listen Applejack, you and I have been dating for over five years now, and I have had a blast, You are the most honest, kindest, and loyal pony someone like me could ask for, and I kind of want to take our relationship up a notch," Rainbow said nervously. She got up and bent on one hoof to ask the question.

"Applejack, will you make me the happiest mare of my life and marry me?"

Applejack was in tears. "Yes, Rainbow, I will!"

Everyone in the room was clapping, and Rainbow was just about to put the necklace around Applejack’s neck when all of a sudden, all the windows in the room broke at once, and a giant tornado started forming in the middle of the room. But that wasn’t what scared Rainbow; it was what was standing in the middle of it was what scared her. There, in the middle of the tornado, was a pony wearing what appeared to be a Wonderbolts uniform, except the colors were wrong: instead of the casual blue, yellow, and white of the Wonderbolts uniform, they were black, purple, and yellow. She wasn't wearing casual goggles either; instead, she was wearing what appeared to be fancier versions of them. That's when Rainbow noticed the mane and tail.

"No, it can't be!" Rainbow said, shocked.

"All right," Lightning Dust said, "tell me where I can find Rainbow Dash and Princess Celestia, and no one will get hurt!"

Right then and there, Rainbow went from the happiest mare in the room to the angriest mare in the room. And she knew if she and Applejack wanted to leave… they would have to fight their way out.