• Published 29th May 2019
  • 367 Views, 0 Comments

The Strange History of Canterlot: A collection of Lore and Biographies. - Altlus



a collection of lore and Biographies pertaining to Canterlot's History and some interesting Individuals in it.

  • ...
 0
 367

On the Phenomena of "People of the Water".

Throughout the History of the World, there have been accounts of unusual occurrences where people have encountered a mysterious stranger emerging from or lying along the shore of a body of water. Usually found almost out of Breath and In a somewhat delirious state. The Strangers would usually be observed as being surprised at themselves for no explainable reason and having a hard time walking on two legs and would at first be observed to walk on all fours though there are also cases where they don't react like this at all. Some also described a few of these strange individuals as having magical powers and abilities that either benefited them them or became a detriment to them.

The Strangers would then claim that they come from a Land that doesn't exist or have served in an army of a country that doesn't exist much to the confusion of their rescuers or captors. The claims tend to be fairly consistent. Ramblings and mentions of a Land known as "Equestria" and some stating that they served in the "Royal Guard" or the "Royal Legion" and that they serve to defend the nonexistent "Equestria" and it's"Princess". Usually such claims made by said strangers were never taken seriously as the land that the strangers bring up, doesn't exist and some of these strangers's proclamations being passed off as just the person being confused or delirious.

The Earliest known recorded Instance of this occurrence was recorded in 1835 by Fur Traders in the Washington Territory.
One such Fur Trader described the encounter as following:

"We encountered strange folk today in the woods. We counted about seven of them in a group. Taking refuge under a small cave near a lake. They seemed confused about their predicament and some appeared to find most comfort walking on all four of their limbs. They all appeared to be wet and shivering. Josiah felt very sorry for these people and decided to take them in despite Edmund's complaints of having to have additional mouths to feed. Once we returned to camp, we provided these strangers warm clothing and some hot drinks to help them regain strength."

"Later that Evening they joined us for dinner. It was here that they told us they came from a land known as "Equestria" and that a couple of them are part of a royal guard of Sorts. Me and others were understandably confused by these claims. Josiah passed it off as confusion from being exposure to the harsh weather of these here wild lands. I have to say, despite their delirium, they are mighty friendly people. never had I seen such a sense of fraternity and closeness in these people."

The Traders kept them as part of their group for a couple years. working alongside and getting along with each other. In 1837, the group of strangers decided to part ways with the Traders, with the intent of "Starting over" and building a new outpost Eastwards from the other outpost they stayed in.

In Canterlot's history, there have been occurrences of "People of the Water" appearing in the area around the city. Though up until 2001, It all seemed to be frequently and most commonly occurring at a particular area outside the city. a pond known as the "Illusion pool". so-named by settlers because of the Mirror-like appearance of the surface of the water.

There have been documented accounts of these unusual events happening across the world, though there is the possibility of unrecorded emergences of these mysterious people. and some of them may be out there either living out in the wilderness or amongst everyday folk in society.