• Published 31st May 2019
  • 1,704 Views, 6 Comments

The Storm Tamer: Rewrite - Partizanne



Set right after Twilight becomes OP, Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash are excited for a famous pegasus stallion, a great weather colt who has come to help Ponyville with rogue Everfree clouds rolling into town.

  • ...
 6
 1,704

The First Morning

98... 99... 100... Just enough for a week or so. Whipper Wind raked his mind over what he absolutely needed, trying to ration out his bits to last as long as possible.

What was with that damn letter anyway? The writing was to neat for a foal. Pretty professional to, no funny business, except for the fake storms of course.He looked at the clock beside him on the nightstand which read 7:00. Thunderlane gave him the guest bedroom which was rather modest. Just a bed, closet, some drawers, a desk, a nightstand and a lamp.

When Whipper Wind first came to the house, he was jumped by a small colt with a gray coat and darker mane. Apparently he wasn't there to greet you because of his schooling, and hadn't expected him to show up at his house. If Wind wasn't so large, he probably would've been knocked over from the force of the living cannonball.

The colts name was Rumble, and he could recall how the foal had gushed over him, not to dissimilar from his older brother.

Wait, I'm getting distracted. He glanced at the clock again. 7:03. Wind was always an early bird, but that didn't mean he was a morning pony. If he had a choice, he stay in bed most of the day, then spend the rest on his Neigh-tendo Entertainment System. Despite his wishes, he always had something he had to do in the morning. Back home, it was getting rid of the night weather to make way for the day weather, and here it would be to find a job.

The most obvious place would be the weather team, but he knew small towns like this would pay less to their workers. Not to say that they were greedy, things here did tend to be cheaper to balance things out, but he knew he'd have to return home sooner or later.

Jumping out of bed, he stretched out much like a dog, his forelegs flat on the ground as he reached as far as he could. He stood back up, smacking his lips as he left his room. Hope Thunderlane has some coffee or something.

The door swung open revealing the hallway beyond as Wind ducked below the door frame and made his way to the kitchen. Wind was a few inches taller than Luna, which meant he has to duck beneath doorways of some of the older building he went into, including this house. Luckily, he had heard mention of a certain Big Macintosh, which he assumed was also rather large. He could only hope Big Macintosh was able to pass through doors easily, because that would mean Wind could too.

Thunderlane was in the kitchen, preparing breakfast for Rumble and his guest, hoping to get it done before either of them woke up. He heard the clops of a large Pegasus, turning around to be met with the sight of said Pegasus ducking below the doorway. Wind was visibly tired, dragging his hooves and having small bags under his eyes.

"Not a morning person?" Thunderlane asked.

"No..." The Pegasus stifled a yawn with his wing as he looked over to the smaller stallion.

"You got coffee?" Wind asked. Thunderlane answered by taking a mug from the cupboards and swiftly pouring some of the heavenly brew he had made for himself.

"Sugar or cream?"

"Black."

Woah, that's bad ass. Thunderlane thought as he set the mug on the table.

"Careful, it's still ho-" Wind didn't even give a second thought as he grabbed the mug a downed at least three quarters before slamming the mug back down.
If the scalding coffee had caused anyharm, Wind didn't let it show. He was however more alert and perky.

"Sorry if I was a bit blunt earlier, I've always hated mornings." He said as he trailed his hoof on the brim of the mug.

"Uh... Y-yeah it's fine." Thunderlane said as he shook off his shock. Never before had he ever seen anypony drink black coffee with such vigor, let alone scalding black coffee.

"Hey, do you know any jobs I could take?" Wind asked,quickly downing the remaining contents of the mug.

"Aren't you going to work for the weather team?"

"Well yeah, but I was planning on fighting storm which usually gives more bits than plain ol' weather duty. I only brought a hundred bits with me." Sure, Wind could probably set up some airshows, but he didn't want to seem like a showboat.

"Well the Apple's are usually welcome to some helping hooves, you could probably ask one of them."

"Where do they live?"

"Huge apple orchard on the edge of town, you can't miss it." Thunderlane looked over at the clock. 7:29.

3... 2... 1... Just as Thunderlane hit zero, Rumble trudged in with sleep still in his eyes. Knowing that Rumble wasn't one much for mornings either, he gave the breakfast he was making a once over. Haybacon made to perfection, scrambled eggs, buttered toast, all completed with a pitcher of fresh squeezed OJ. Apples be damned.

"Order up." Thunderlane set the finished products on some plates before taking them over to the table. Rumble visibly perked up at the mention of food, quickly chowing down before he had to leave for school. Wind however was surprised.

"Oh Thunderlane, you really didn't have to."

"Nonsense, your my guest. It's the least I can do."

"The least you can do is nothing." Wind snatched up a piece of haybacon while Thunder prepared his own plate. Meanwhile Rumble was already half way through his plate, obviously trying to beat some sort of imaginary record.

The breakfast passed by quickly, ending with Thunderlane sending Rumble off to school while you set the dishes into the sink. Now that breakfast was out of the way, he first needed to land a steady job for the weather team, then he could worry about taking another.

"Thunderlane?" Wind called across the house.

"Yeah?"

"Who's the head of the weather team?"

"Rainbow Dash, blue coat with a rainbow mane and tail. She usually leaves a rainbow trail when she flies so you should be able to find her."

"Ok, thanks." And with that, Wind left the house and spread his massive wings as he prepared to take of into the sky.

------------------------------------------------------------

"Ugh..." Rainbow Dash groaned as she rose from her bed. She's always hated morning cloud removal. It was 7:50 in the morning, too early for Rainbow Dash, but she knew that if she didn't go out and clear the clouds now, her weather team would give her hell. So she got out of bed and prepared for the day. Combed her mane, preened her feathers, and brushed her mane, all in the record time of two minutes.

Alright Rainbow, your target time is 9 seconds. Rainbow Dash pumped herself up as her wings beat behind. She looked out at the skies, picking the most efficient route to smash her target time.

Ready... set... go! Rainbow Dash quickly launched into the air, leaving only her signiture rainbow trail and the remnants of clouds that once were in her wake. As, each second ticked by, her hopes rose of finally being able to clear the skies faster than she ever had before.

I'm Gonna do it! I'm gonna do it! I'm gonna- WHAM!!! Her vision was suddenly devoured by a sea of navy blue, as she and her apparent obstacle plummet towards the ground. Unfortunately, her speed means that she and whatever she had collided with would reach the ground rather quickly. Which they did.

Luckily for Rainbow Dash, what ever she had hit had also broken her fall, as they slammed into the ground. In fact, she was actually in tip top shape, what ever she slammed into must've been bigger and softer than she thought. What did she hit anyway? She stood up and shook the dust off before looking down. Oh no...

"Ow..." Wind was completely disoriented. One moment he had been out and about looking for a mare named Rainbow Dash, the next he was hit by a rogue rainbow and crashing into the ground.

"Sorrysorrysorrysorry!!!" Rainbow Dash scrambled off the poor stallion. No wonder she hadn't been hurt, Whipper Wind was so much larger, he probably cocooned her as they fell and took the brunt of the damage. "Are you ok?"

"Yeah yeah, I'm just gonna... you know... sit here and die of internal bleeding." Wind said, making no motions to get back up.

"S-sorry, should I help you to the hospital?"

"No, I think I'll be fine. Could you help me up though?" He extended a hoof. Rainbow locked her hoof with his, having to flap her wings as quick as she could to get the large stallion standing up right. Wind flexed his wings, giving them a small flap before tucking them back against his body. Rainbow couldn't help but be enamored by the sight, she had never seen wings so large, but why were they so large in the first place?

"Hey." Wind turned toward Rainbow. "Why are your wings so big? Why are you so big?" Wind seemed actually surprised by the question, perhaps he was expecting one of the more frequent questions. He tapped his chin in thought, trying to remember what he was told when he asked his parents back when he was still a young colt.

"I remember my mom said that my great great grandfather was a diamond dog."

"A diamond dog?"

"Yeah, that's also why I have these." Wind opened his mouth, and sure enough, two pairs of canines were present. One pair in his upper set of teeth, and the other pair on his lower set.

"Wait, I didn't even think diamond dogs and ponies could... you know..." Rainbow said as her coat went from blue to pink.

"Well apparently they can. You should see the pictures of my great grandma, she had the whole under bite thing, paws instead of hooves, the whole nine. It's actually why I don't have any flying magic either."

"Wait really?" Rainbow had always wondered how such a thing could be possible. If Twilight was here, she'd probably have a nerd-gasm.

"Yeah. You see, diamond dogs have magic that lets them shape their natural environment to their will. It's why they don't need to make supports for any tunnels they make. Apparently that magic replaced what would usually be flying magic in most pegasi, and since pegasi's natural environment is the sky, the magic manifests itself as control over clouds and weather."

"Wait, but don't pegasi already have that kind of magic?" Rainbow asked confused.

"Yeah, which means that I'm two times better at controlling weather than any other pegasus in history." Wind stated proudly. "Since I don't have any flight magic, my body compensates by giving me huge wings."

"Wow, that's actually pretty cool!" Rainbow chimed. "Wait, I never really introduced myself. I'm Rainbow Dash, future Wonderbolt, and fastest flyer in all of Equestria!" She struck a heroic pose.

"Well Rainbow Dash, I'm Whipper Wind, the Storm Tamer." Wind tried to do a pose as well, but as he extended his right wing, he winced, letting out a sharp hiss. "Ow. Ok, I may not be in as good a shape as I thought. Maybe a hospital visit would be a good idea."

"O-Oh, alright. Just let me get a cloud or something, it'll be faster if I carry you there." Rainbow said as she took off, destroying all the other clouds but one.

------------------------------------------------------------

"Well, I have good news and bad news." Dr. Horse said as he entered the room.

"What is it Doc?" Rainbow said from beside the examination table. Wind had also turned towards the door from his perch on said table.

"Well, let's start with the bad news. You see, since you fell at Celestia knows how fast, you sprained your wing. You'll be grounded for 2 to 6 weeks."

"Ugh!!!" Wind groaned as he flopped back against the paper covered cushion of the table. "Damn it, first the fake letter, now I won't even be able to make a proper income!"

"Well, the good news is that it could've been much worse. If your lucky, you'll be back on your hooves in two weeks time." As angry as Wind was, he knew the doctor was right. At the speed he crashed into the rocky hard ground, he was more than lucky not to be on life support. He let out a sigh as he sat back up.

"Yeah, thanks Doc."

"I'm just doing my job. Just make sure not to fly at all, and change your bandages everyday. I'll have Nurse Redheart come in and show you how to do it properly" And with that, Dr Horse left the room. Soon enough Wind and Rainbow left the building, one of Winds wings wrapped against his body while the other was free from bondage and had the extra bandages tucked underneath.

"Sorry for getting you grounded. I know how much flying means to some ponies." Rainbow said solemnly.

"It's ok, I know you didn't mean to hurt me. I was gonna take some odd jobs anyway." Despite Wind's reassurance, Rainbow Dash still felt guilty. That's when an idea flew into her head.

"Hey, I know what'll cheer you up. I could introduce you to my friends. They're great, I'm sure you'll love them."

"Really? I mean, won't that be kinda weird?"

"Naw, there great company. Why don't I introduce you to one of them right now? They're probably opening up Sugar Cube Corner right now!" Rainbow almost flew off and left Wind behind, but her memory told her that running would be a better option for her new friend.

Wind lightly trotted after her, one thought ringing in his head the whole way. This won't end well.