• Published 11th May 2019
  • 7,689 Views, 879 Comments

Knowledge Brings Change - hydra30



What will happen when the Elements of Harmony team up with an eldritch horror from another realm?

  • ...
21
 879
 7,689

PreviousChapters Next
18 To carry you home

"Wha... what is this?" inquired Princess Luna as the door closed behind her and her three compatriots. She had noticed it the night before, and had chalked it up to her mind playing tricks on her, but here in this dark stairwell, there was no denying the nimbus of sparkling purple light that surrounded all members of this little rescue operation.

"What is it, your Majesty?" asked Applejack worriedly.

Luna explained the bizarre cloud of light surrounding all of them and asked if any of them knew what it was about; which, of course, invited Twilight to step forward with a simple explanation.

"No need to worry, Princess," she said, lifting her fetlock and sliding down her Stalhrim greaves to reveal her grey band, "it's only the Grey Cowl of Nocturnal's detect life enchantment."

Luna looked to her own band wrapped around her fetlock. "It has two enchantments?"

"Four actually, if you count its ability to hide its wearer's identity," explained Twilight. "The detect life enchantment that allows you to see the life energy for a set distance, the ability to sneak more efficiently, and an increase in what you can carry." She looked herself over. "I'm enjoying that one the most. It makes it simple for a non-athletic pony like me to wear such heavy armor."

Luna continued to look at her fetlock, marveled and baffled at the same time. "Such a peculiar selection of magical fortifications."

"Well, it was made by this world's queen of thieves," stated Rainbow. "All of that would come in handy when pulling off a robbery."

They descended the rusted metal stairs and discovered the source of light from before was a luminescent device that was affixed to a metal wall that branched in two directions. Luna stepped forward to examine the glass cylinder with the bright ring of light at its core.

"Oh my..." she said, running a hoof along the glass." I... I have barley become accustomed to the flameless lanterns that ponies developed during my exile... and yet these...!" Not only was the light even more sophisticated then the magic lights ponies put in their homes, but with how old this one looked, and was still functional. And not just that, the entire interior of the building echoed with the grinding of cogs and the clunking of pipes.

Machinery still performing its task.

"You told me about the people who built places like this, young Twilight," said Luna in awe. "But... I never imagined such... sophisticated machinery for such an ancient dwelling."

"Yeah," said Rainbow, crossing her hooves as she hovered in mid air. "And in less than a second they all were gone."

"Got a little to big for their britches," said Applejack as she looked up and down the rune inscribed walls with a slight glare.

They went right then made another left, a grill built into the floor revealing a red glow beneath them. The hall ended in a room with pipes stretching across the ceiling, ending in a dead end with metal kegs strewn about.

"I don't see anybody," said Rainbow as she peered down a drop in the middle of the room surrounded by four thick pillars. "I think I see a door down there."

"The left turn back there led to stairs that head down," said Applejack as she too peeked into the room below. "It must eventually lead down there."

"Well, come on," said Rainbow, beginning to descend down on her wings.

"Uh, Rainbow," started Twilight, "I think it would be best if we took the 'scenic' route," she pointed back down the hall behind them.

"Why?" Rainbow responded with slight irritation. "It won't be a problem for us to just hop down here. Me and the princess have wings, and you can teleport yourself and Applejack down here."

"Rainbow," said Twilight with sight irrigation of her own. "We don't know where in here the Argonian even is. We need to search everywhere."

Before anything else could be said, a new noise joined the dull background noises of the ancient machinery. Turning on a dime and with Rainbow fluttering away from the drop to join them, they all noticed a slight shifting in a corner of the room that was obscured by shadow. The noise sounded again, a combination of scraping and squeaking.

"I think I know what it is," said Rainbow as she lifted her forelegs. "Everypony get ready for a fight."

Applejack and Twilight followed her lead, but Luna looked on in confusion, "I don't understand. You all said the people who built this place disappeared long..."

A huge round object rolled out from the corner of the room, the top popping off like a lid as something rose from within. The metallic figure held the rounded top of its casing like a shield in its left hand, the right blooming like a flower and producing a brass double edged blade. Its torso was narrow and mechanical looking, and a cone shaped head stared at them with a singular left eye resembling a blue jewel.

It rolled forward and lunged at the intruders of its ancient domicile, brandishing its sword hand in a horizontal swipe.

With a cry of surprise, the pony group scattered, Rainbow taking to the air, Applejack jumping to the left, and Twilight teleporting herself and the stunned Luna back just in time to avoid the blade.

"TWILIGHT! What is that thing!?" gasped Luna.

"A Dwemer Sphere..." There was no time to explain more, for at that moment the mobile contraption decided to pursue them, rolling towards them at surprisingly fast speeds.

A ball of fire impacted it from the left and a bolt of lightning struck down from above, staggering the machine.

"Leave them alone, partner," said Applejack, charging another fireball.

"Or you'll have to deal with us," threatened Rainbow from above, electricity dancing on her forehooves.

Twilight smiled at her friends gratefully but then she saw something from her vantage point. "APPLEJACK, RAINBOW, BEHIND YOU!"

Applejack twirled around just in time to see a glistening blade descending towards her, lifting her armored fetlocks up in an X formation to block the attack with a resounding metal clang. Her spell petered out as her concentration was broken, dodging another swipe as a second Dwemer Sphere rolled down upon her, attacking with its sword arm. Reverting back to her earth pony origins, Applejack turned around and bucked the homicidal machine hard in its spherical base, sending it rolling back a little, but it soon recovered, bearing down on her again.

Rainbow had a moment of doubt for a second after Twilight's warning. She had faced Dwemer Spheres before in Apocrypha, so she knew she was well beyond the range of their close quarter style of attack. But at the last second, she decided to heed the warning, and it was lucky she did, for she turned her head just in time to miss the fireball spell that had been aimed at her.

Rainbow could only stare in confusion and slight horror.

Floating before her was a transparent, bipedal figure, sporting a beard and mustache, and garbed in extravagant robes. It hissed a ghostly screech and raised its arms, a sparkling orange ball orbiting its body before flying at Rainbow as it thrust its arms forward. Rainbow dipped and thrust her hoof out, striking the figure with a lighting spell, but hadn't the time to charge a powerful one, so it only staggered the hovering abomination for a second before it launched another ball at Rainbow, which she nimbly yet narrowly dodged.

"Twilight!" shouted Luna as she took a defensive stance before the mobile metal construct looming before them, "leave this one to me. Go assist your friends."

"No, princess!" rebutted Twilight. "I can only assist one at a time, they are going to need both our aid."

"We have to get past this one first..."

'FUS RO DAH'

Princess Luna could only watch as the monstrosity before them was swept up in a luminous gust of blue wind, sending it toppling over the drop in the center of the room and striking something below that resulted in a thick sounding splash.

"You help Rainbow, I got AJ," said, Twilight, luminescent mist dripping from her mouth.

Luna knew this was no time to be stiff with awe, spreading her Alicorn wings and taking to the air.

Twilight teleported behind the Dwemer Sphere assaulting Applejack, an ugly scowl on her muzzle. Forming a plan in her mind, she brought forth her telekinesis, seizing the six foot machine and holding it still. Her skin crawled; the feeling of her magic against the enchantment that animated this metal monster the equivalent of walking into a swimming pool filled with live worms.

"APPLEJACK!" she shouted, fighting to keep her voice even as her stomach hopped around within her with disgust. "Do something quick, I can't hold it for long!"

Applejack only needed a moment to come up with a plan.

'MUL QAH DIIV'

She may have all the same powers Twilight obtained from Hermaeus Mora now, but Applejack will always be an earth pony to the core. She will always be better, and feel more comfortable doing things by hoof. Even combat.

As the ethereal Dragon Aspect draped over her like a second armor, Applejack pounced on the Dwemer Sphere like a lion on a gazelle, her bolstered strength carrying them over Twilight's head in a blur of blue and orange. Twilight cancelled her telekinesis just in time to duck, watching as AJ and the Dwemer Sphere rolled down the hall into the dim red light. The sound of rending metal echoed in Twilight's ears as she watched, the glow from AJ's Dragon Aspect allowing her to see Applejack dodge a sword thrust, only to grip it in her teeth and yank it clean off, then twist her neck and thrust it into the mechanical chest of its owner.

A blue beam struck the Dwarven Specter in the back as it loomed before Rainbow Dash, sending its most recent attack into a set of pipes that began to jet steam as the wayward spell ruptured them. The apparition turned to its new opponent, more spells orbiting its body. While it was focusing on Princess Luna, Rainbow began rolling her hooves together, charging one of her more powerful lightning spells.

"Try and keep it still, Princess," she said, adrenaline pumping through her body in the excitement of combat. "If I can land this one he'll be finished."

Luna nodded and lit her magic to seize her opponent in telekinesis, but to her horror, her magic slipped off its body like water on glass, unable to get a solid grip. But she had no time to contemplate, as another spell was aimed at her, and with no time to dive left or right, Luna ceased flapping her wings, the orange ball barely clipping her horn as it sailed over her, and for an instant her will to fight declined. Spreading her wings once more, Luna dove under her ghostly enemy, its feet clipping the small of her back.

Luna felt the pointed toes of its transparent shoes scrape lightly between her wings and a plan formed in her mind in an instant.

This thing couldn't be gripped in her magic, but it was at least partly corporeal. She swooped up behind it and as it turned to face her another spell circled its body in preparation for another attack, just as Luna wanted. As it lifted its arms to direct its spell, Luna teleported behind and grabbed its wrists in her hooves, holding them over its head with her enhanced strength granted to her due to her kinship with the earth ponies, and sending its spell into the ceiling.

"RAINBOW!" she shouted as the spirit hissed and thrashed, its ice cold flesh making Luna shiver. "DO IT, DO IT NOW."

"But Princess," said Rainbow worriedly, a ball of undulating electricity in her hooves, "I'll hit you!"

"NO TIME TO ARGUE!" rebutted Luna. She momentarily lost her grip on one of the arms, but managed to recapture it.

Knowing Luna couldn't hold it still for much longer, Rainbow grit her teeth and pointed her hooves forward, an undulating stream of lightning racing forward. Rainbow almost closed her eyes in horror as her spell was about to strike one of the benevolent rulers of her kingdom, but Luna suddenly vanished in a flash of blue, a similar flash going off over her shoulder. With her ally out of harm's way, Rainbow's Lightning Storm spell hit home.

The Dwemer Specter howled in a wispy voice as lightning coated it from head to toe. Rainbow felt her magicka draining as she kept her spell up, but her foe was now closing in on them, despite the relentless assault she was striking it with, so she scowled with determination and redoubled her efforts. The apparition was almost face to face with her and she was sweating nervously, for she could not keep this up much longer. It suddenly turned away from her and fell forward, dissolving into dust and scattering to the floor below, Rainbow's spell halting as her foe disappeared.

Panting, both winged ponies returned to the floor, Twilight and Applejack coming up to check if they were okay.

"Twilight..." said Rainbow, looking at the pile of dust on the floor, her eye's wide. Now that the initial danger was over and she was no longer in combat mode, the image of the creature she just faced was clear in her mind, and she didn't like what she remembered."What... ``what was that?"

Twilight looked to the pile as well, though after spending so much time with Seekers, she wasn't as unnerved. Still, she put a reassuring hoof on Rainbow's shoulder. "I have come across references about them in Hermaeus Mora's library. They are Dwemer Specters, the lingering spirits of the Dwemer that used to call these ancient dwellings home."

Applejack went partly pale. "I thought... ghosts were only an old mare's tale."

"Maybe they are in Equestria, maybe not," said Twilight, "I'm not as closed minded to the possibility as I used to be, but here in Nirn they are definitely real." She stared at the pile some more. "The Dwemer even more so. They were so vain in life that many of them still guard their scientific and magical achievements even after death."

Rainbow shook her head to clear it. "Could... there be more of them?"

"It's more than likely," said Twilight truthfully.

Rainbow and Applejack looked at each other nervously. They were tough ponies, no doubt about it, but facing ghosts was a far cry from facing mechanical monstrosities or Timberwolves.

"Hey, don't give in to despair, girls," said Twilight supportively, pointing to the pile of dust. "They may be spirits, but they can be defeated. And as long as we are together, nothing in here should too much of a threat."

Rainbow now realized she did defeat the thing, even if it had been a ghost, so Twilight's words brought her some comfort. As long as she stuck with her friends, they shouldn't run into anything too dangerous. She and Applejack exchanged a calming look then nodded to Twilight.

"Hey?" inquired Applejack as she looked around, "where's the princess?"

Looking around for a second found Princess Luna down the hall, standing before the Dwemer Sphere that Applejack had mutilated with a slight look of horror.

"Princess," said Twilight, her and the other two striding up to join her. "Is something the matter?"

"Young Twilight," said Luna as she turned to the ponies next to her, "what... what is this...?" she pointed to the twitching and sparking machine that lay pitifully before them.

"An invention of those old Dwemer guys," Rainbow said before Twilight could respond with some intellectual response.

"I... I didn't..." Luna gestured to her wristband, "they didn't have a nimbus of light when they attacked us."

"They wouldn't have," said Twilight, also looking down at the wrecked Dwemer machine. "Dwarven Automatons are purely mechanical. There is nothing alive about them."

"But they...moved so independently..." Luna looked around at the many mechanical lights and other machinery. "Just... how vast was this 'Dwemer' people's mechanical knowledge?"

"No one knows, Princess," said Twilight, "all the secrets of the Dwemer vanished along with them, and what answers they did leave behind, their mechanical guardians still protect, even though their Dwemer masters are long gone."

They let Luna absorb all this for a couple of seconds, for she often had trouble adapting to modern Equestria. But still, who knew how many more ghostly or mechanical guardians were about, and they needed to find that poor Argonian before he fell prey to one of the horrors of this place... If he hadn't already.

They backtracked to the split at the entrance and headed down the stairs to the right, their hooves clanking against the metal surface. The stairs split in two different directions at the bottom, so they tried the left first and found a room with an assortment of huge pipes in the center, as well as chairs, tables, a cabinet, and shelves containing huge machine gears. Rainbow wanted to search the chest that sat in the far corner but Twilight pulled her away.

The Argonian wasn't here, plus Twilight warned her that the Dwemer often booby trapped their valuables with either electrical shocks or poison.

They got their next surprise when another Dwemer Spectre blocked their way, but Applejack reacted quickly, turning around and bucking it in the chest with all her might, and with her Dragon Aspect still active, the thing was dust before it landed.

Heading back up and turning right this time found them in the lower room they had seen from above, the Dwemer Sphere Twilight had blasted lying limp in a vat of bubbling green goo that sat in the center of the room. Nothing was here other then the well of foul looking liquid, some kegs and a door that no doubt led deeper into the ruins.They had yet to see signs of any other living beings.

"Still no sign of anybody," said Rainbow as she hovered about the room.

"Then they must be beyond that door," concluded Twilight, Luna nodding in agreement.

"How the hey did they make it past all the monsters?" asked Applejack. "Let alone unarmed..."

AAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!

The scream was loud, but muffled by the thick metal door, and with worry for whoever it was that screamed, the Equestrian rescue party sprinted across the room and descended lower into the ancient place, the metal door screeching shut behind them.

---

They scampered down more stairs and turned left into another hallway lit up by a dim orange glow that lead to a large room full of chairs...

...as a hulking bipedal creature with a pipe billowing steam stuck off center in its back struck the huge spiked mace it had for an arm across the chest of the figure standing before it, sending them careening backwards into an ancient set of shelves that collapsed into a heap of metal scrap with a limp scaly body lying motionless on top.

It resembled the corpses they had seen strewn about outside, so Twilight and knew this could only be the lone Argonian survivor from the tragic party of escaped slaves, and things were not looking good. But before any of them could even react, another metal abomination scurried out of the shadows and blocked their way. Its six metal legs produced sparks as it scampered towards them, a sickly green orb orbiting its body.

Rainbow reacted fast, levitating into the air and delivering a powerful drop kick to the mechanism's dome shaped body hard enough to make it stumble back, its spell misfiring in a puff of smoke.

"Leave this little nuisance to me," she said, landing between her friends and the metallic spider that was struggling to right itself and scraping her hooves. "That guy looks like he is in real trouble."

They nodded in understanding and gratitude and turned to the far end of the room, where the Steam Centurion was bearing down on the motionless Argonian. "Be careful, sugarcube," said Applejack in a worried voice. "There's no telling what that little varmint could have up its metal sleeves."

Rainbow saluted and took to zipping around the Spider Centurion, dodging its green spheres and striking it at random with perfect precision.

"Twilight," said Luna, "teleport yourself and Applejack into the path of that thing and prevent it from getting any closer to its fallen prey." She charged her horn. "I shall strike from behind with all my strength. It is sure to subdue this mechanical abomination."

With no time to argue, Twilight and Applejack disappeared in a flash of lavender, reappearing in the path of the Steam Centurion who stopped to study them for only a second before rearing up its mace hand and swinging forward. Applejack turned around and bucked the incoming metal ball as hard as she could, her Dragon Aspect leaving indents in the ancient metal. But apparently that was its last trick, for as soon as Applejack's hind legs hit the ground again her transparent dragon armor vanished, leaving only her Daedric armor covering her.

"Well shoot," she gasped in distress at her expired Thu'um.

But not a second later a violet bubble formed around her, Twilight, and the fallen Argonian, then everything became bathed in a bright blue light. Luna fired her alicorn magic in a beam of blue light that struck the Steam Centurion in the back and engulfed it head to foot in her power. She strained under the severe amount of magic needed to make a beam this powerful, but was determined to keep this abomination from hurting anyone else, and with Twilight's barrier more than strong enough to handle something like this, she knew now was the time to end it in one fell swoop.

Her magic had felled dragons, surely this metal behemoth would be scrap metal in seconds.

A large spiked mace suddenly emerged from Luna's torrent of magic, striking her on the temple, but the damage was minimal thanks to her alicorn helm. It did send her careening to the side through, her regal body going spreadeagle as she rolled to a stop. When her vision cleared, the hulking monstrous machine warrior was limping towards her, charred and with a ruptured knee that spat sparks, but mostly intact.

"It... it's not possible!" stammered Luna, flabbergasted that this thing had taken such an onslaught of her magic and was still able to move. She realized too late that it would be upon her in mere seconds, and before she knew it, a metal ball with the spikes melted off was sailing towards her.

"PRINCESS!" Rainbow suddenly dashed in between Luna and her assaulter, the Spider Centurion a sputtering mess across the room, and intercepted the ball with her body, her hard Dwemer Armor clanging as it prevented its wearer from coming to harm. She held the arm in place, her wings flapping to generate force against the immense strength trying to push past her to get at her princess.

'IIZ SLEN NUS'

Rainbow let go just in the nick of time as a blue orb of mist exited Applejack's mouth and impacted the Steam Centurion in the back, its metal joints going stiff as ice encased every portion of its body.

'YOL TOOR SHUL'

Luna encased herself and Rainbow Dash in a blue forcefield as a Twilight sent a ball of flame at the frozen Steam Centurion, which exploded in a shower of metal strips that tinkled and clanged as they scattered across the floor.

All was still, with the only noise being the clanking of the Dwemer dwelling's ancient machinery.

Then all attention turned to the limp Argonian lying among the wreckage of the shelf.

"Easy partner," cooed Applejack comfortingly as Twilight gently levitated the limp figure to an open spot on the floor. "We're here to help."

No reply came, and as Twilight gently lay the Argonian to the floor a dribble of blood slid down from its mouth.

"This is bad!" said Twilight frantically, "AJ, Rainbow, hurry!"

The two nodded in response, all three of them surrounding the wounded soul and bathing it in a twinkling gold aura, Applejack and Rainbow projecting it from their hooves while Twilight used her horn.

All Luna could do to assist was produce a pillow from her pouch (possessing no restoration magic of her own), as well as watch over the proceedings. Slowly, the Argonian's wounds closed, the large scrapes on his back from impacting the ancient shelf closing, as well as the slashes on its torso from the spiked mace. Luna had to note that the inhabitants of this realm appeared strange to her, the only creature in her experience sharing even a slight resemblance to the Argonian being young dragons like Spike.

With a slightly stronger breath, two amber eyes opened on the scaly face of the bipedal figure lying among the quartet of ponies, head jerking from side to side as slitted pupils took in the strange creatures surrounding on all sides.

"Easy partner," Applejack repeated, now that consciousness had returned to the one she was addressing. "You're safe now."

A brief glimpse of horror flashed through the Argonian at the tangible voice that sounded from the creature that held stubby hooves over its figure.

"Take it easy, buddy," insisted Rainbow, "we're here to help."

"Sssithisss!"

The voice was masculine and carried heavy pronouncing of S's, resulting in a hissing like accent. The ponies looked at each other as the Argonian spoke, but if it could still speak maybe that was a good sign.

"Hasss...," the Argonian paused to take a few labored breaths. "Hasss Sssithisss...sssent you here for me?"

Rainbow Dash and Applejack looked at each other in confusion.

"Sithis?" inquired Rainbow.

"What in the hay is he going on about?" said Applejack.

"I got this, girls," said Twilight, laying a hoof over the Argonian's slowly rising and falling chest. "No. We haven't been sent by Sithis to return you to the Hist."

The Argonian looked at all of them in confusion, his eyes settling on Princess Luna, and quickly becoming transfixed by her ethereal mane that twinkled like the night sky. "But... never before have I... ssseen such majestic beingsss. How... could you not be emisssariesss... of Lord Sssithiss?"

"Majestic, huh?" snickered Rainbow, "Shame Rarity isn't here."

Twilight ignored the snide comment and merely continued. "We are simply travelers. We were on our way to Morrowind when we came across your slain comrades and began searching for survivors," she smiled calmly. "It would appear we got here just in time."

The Argonian looked to each of them, confused, as if he could not contemplate what he just heard. But his expression softened as he lay back against the pillow. His expression wasn't of relief or gratification... it was of acceptance.

"If it isss true... I thank you kind creaturesss... for coming to my aid..." He was interrupted by a light coughing fit. "However... I fear your valiant effortsss are in vain."

"What are you saying, dude?" asked Rainbow, "we'll have you patched up in no time."

"You got three ponies giving you high quality restoration magic," said Applejack, "you'll be back on your feet in a minute."

"Makesss no difference how powerful of sssorcery you wield...," the Argonian coughed again. "I can hear the Hissst...it callsss my sssoul, telling me it isss time for me to return."

Applejack, Twilight, and Rainbow exchange frantic expressions and moved to redouble their efforts, but suddenly a midnight blue aura suddenly pulled them away from the limp figure on the floor.

"Girls...," said Princess Luna remorsefully, "don't. At this point you would just be wasting your strength."

"What are you talking about, Princess?!" said Rainbow frantically.

"We can't just stop, the poor fella will die!" said Applejack.

"Nothing... can stop that now," said Princess Luna, closing her eyes with sadness.

All three of them gasped in shock.

"What... what do you mean, your Majesty?" asked Twilight with as much respect as she could muster, but her voice carried mostly sadness and worry.

Luna blinked sadly. "Eternal rest will fall upon this soul very soon."

"How can you know that?" asked Applejack, barely containing her voice. "How can you possibly know that?"

"Do not forget, young Applejack," started Luna, spreading her wings majestically, "I am the Princess of Slumber. That includes eternal slumber; I can sense when one's time to rest eternally is nigh." She gazed at the Argonian and her wings dropped, the twinkling violet aura of detect life was dissipating. "And I tell you now, the time for this soul to rest eternally has come."

They all looked on with horrified expressions.

"How can this happen?" said Rainbow, looking at her hooves remorsefully. "We've seen restoration magic perform miracles, how can it not save this guy?"

"Everything has limitations," said Twilight sadly. "His injuries must be too severe even for Restoration to restore."

"Is there nothing we can do, sugarcube?" asked Applejack with moist eyes.

Twilight and Luna could only shake their heads sadly.

Applejack swallowed and walked up to the Argonian and sat near his head.

"We're sorry partner," she hiccuped, placing a hoof on his scaly brow, the violet aura surrounding him dissipating down to a thin mist. "If... if we had only gotten here a mite sooner."

The Argonian held no bitterness or fear on his face, he just stared at Applejack with that same peaceful expression.

"You... tried to sssave me...," he managed, his voice growing steadily weaker. "Faced... dreaded Dwemer abomination for me. Sssuch kindnessss... Jeelus-Shei not know for long time..."

"So your name is Jeelus-Shei," said Applejack, slightly gratified. The Argonians outside would never again get the chance to share their names with a kind soul again, and the fact Jeelus-Shei had shared his name with her brought a slight sense of comfort.

"Yesss...Jeelus-Shei isss I..." He closed his eyes peacefully. "Now Jeelus-Shei go... rejoin Hist."

"I just wish we could do something for you," said Applejack, swallowing another lump in her throat. "You were the sole survivor of your poor comrades."

"That not entirely true..." said Jeelus-Shei, the ponies looking down at him in shock. "Jeelus-Shei... not enter ancient place alone."

"You mean another made it here with you?" Asked Twilight.

"Yesss... Jeelus-Shei... not alone... bring with him... last survivor... of Yet-to-be-named..." With that, Jeelus-Shei fell limp and his head slumped to the side against the pillow, his last breath echoing in the rusted confines of the ancient room. They all could only watch as the aura surrounding him dissipated, leaving his body as lifeless as the ancient furniture across the room.

"Is he...?" Rainbow moaned, her hooves over her mouth.

Applejack nodded, a tear rolling down her eye as she closed Jeelus-Shei's eyes with a hoof.

"But... isn't there anything we can do?" asked Rainbow, her tough girl attitude having vanished.

"He's gone, Rainbow," said Twilight sadly. "It's terrible, but there's nothing we can do."

"Well... what about those Ideal Master guys? They can raise the..." Twilight sealed Rainbows mouth with magic but wasn't angry at her. They were all upset, and ponies can think irrationally when upset.

After a second Rainbow seemed to realize what it was she had suggested and waved Twilight's magic away then hovered over Jeelus-Shei remorsefully. "We're sorry dude."

They spent the next few minutes paying their respects to Jeelus-Shei before heading in search of this other survivor he had spoken of... and the entire search consisted of turning around.

"Sweet Celestia!" said Rainbow with wide eyes.

"It's... it's so tiny," said Applejack, mirroring her airborne friend's expression.

One of the steel kegs in the room twinkled with the light of a living being within, but it didn't even extend to a quarter of the container. Five limbs consisting of legs, arms, and a tail made up the luminous outline seeping through the barrel, crouched in an effort to make itself appear small, but it was unmistakably an Argonian like Jeelus-Shei, only much smaller.

"It's not much bigger than Apple Bloom," said Applejack. "I don't think the little fella is very old."

"I agree," said Twilight, "Jeelus-Shei said Yet-to-be-named, and only really young Argonians are referred to as such."

"So small," said Princess Luna, eyeing the luminescent shadow in the keg. "Who would be so cruel as to remove such a young creature from its home?"

"It's worse than that," said Twilight with great concern. "It's probably not old enough to be away from the Hist yet."

"The what?" asked Applejack and Rainbow Dash, Luna looking on expectantly.

Twilight had to fight not to facehoof. They had spent three years immersed in the knowledge of Nirn, same as her, were they incapable of retaining details that didn't involve boosting their athletic fortitude? Still, at least it was more signs that her friends hadn't been altered by Apocrypha, at least mentally.

"Argonians lay their eggs en masse among Hist trees, a type of tree native to the Argonians' home, Black Marsh," explained Twilight. "After they hatch, the hatchlings lick the sap of these trees for nourishment; just like a baby pony nursing milk from its mother. They do this until they mature, but they can't survive without Hist sap before this time."

A look of concern crossed all their faces.

"Then what are we waiting for?" said Rainbow, taking to the air in the direction of the steel kegs, only to be yanked back to earth by Applejack.

"Uh, girls... how we gonna deal with this?" she asked all of them.

"Whaddaya mean?!" Rainbow said, "we just have to get the little guy out of that barrel..."

"And then what?" countered Applejack. "Twilight says the little fella can't survive without a certain tree sap from its homeland. How do you propose we get it back there? We can't divert from our own quest to such a degree, not without serious risk. The longer we spend in this world, the more chances there are we run into something that could be seriously dangerous, or risk altering some fancy spancy future thingy. This... may be more than we bargained for."

They all looked at Applejack with disbelief and realization.

They had agreed to investigate for the reason of aiding someone in peril, but it hadn't even been considered how they would proceed if it was someone who couldn't fend for itself once they were out of harm's way. And Applejack was right, they couldn't put their own quest on hold to escort someone back to Black Marsh. But one among them had a fast wit, it was kinda a job requirement.

"Then we must force our own quest to coincide with the dilemma of this poor misplaced soul," said Luna.

They all gawked at her.

"How do we do that, your Majesty?" Asked Twilight.

Luna almost grew a smug look, having already formed a cunning plan. "Divayth Fyr! Twilight, you said he is a wealthy, well respected individual, surely he has access to resources that can get this little one home."

Applejack and Rainbow seemed to see the reasoning behind this plan and looked to Twilight expectantly.

Twilight could see the logic herself. In all her studying, it became clear to her that Divayth Fyr was probably the wealthiest, most powerful individual ever to be confined in the 'mortal' category for Nirn. He could easily send the young Argonian via contacts, or even going so far as being able to just teleport magically to Black Marsh.

But Twilight knew something about Divayth Fyr that was far more apparent than his status and power.

"Divayth Fyr could easily have the means to do what you are suggesting, Princess," began Twilight, slightly saddened and sickened by what she knew. "But he is still a Dunmer. It's his people who enslaved the Argonians during this era, and even if he himself was never involved, it's more than likely he would be just apathetic."

"I know," said Luna, still with that slightly mischievous look.

"What do you mean?" inquired Applejack, all three of the non-Alicorns shocked.

"You saying you knew this guy might be unwilling to help us with this baby lizard?" asked Rainbow, looking to the luminous spot of the barrel that had yet to move.

"Oh, I know full well that Divayth Fyr might just turn a blind eye to the peril this little one is in," said Luna, flaring her brow as she also looked to the tiny projected shadow. "But I don't intend to take no for an answer. When we arrive in this Tel Fyr, we will have this little soul with us, and if Divayth Fyr refuses to assist I have an ultimatum for him."

Twilight, Applejack, and Rainbow exchanged slightly worried looks, the princess's tone slightly scaring them.

"And... if he says no?" Asked Applejack nervously.

"Then I will offer him a deal. He sends this little one home..." Luna turned to them with a dangerous glint in her eyes, "and I won't drop him from his tower."

Three sets of jaws periodically hit the floor.

"Princess, you can't," said Twilight, "Divayth Fyr is the only person who knows how to make the potion we need, and not only that, his accomplishments spread throughout his life, far beyond this point in time. If he dies, it could have serious repercussions for all of us!"

"I am aware of that," said Luna, still smirking, "but Divayth Fyr doesn't. He doesn't have to know how important he is to our cause when we first meet him, and he doesn't need to know until after he agrees to help us with returning a helpless child home."

Rainbow tilted her head. "You think that will work?"

"From what I know about Divayth Fyr, I have no doubt it will," said Luna. "Such a long life of wealth and success has no doubt bred quite a large ego, and if there is anything I have learned about narcissistic people is that they place quite a bit of value on their own lives. Threaten them the right way and you can make them dance like puppets."

They all had agape expressions.

"So... you intend to bluff him?" Asked Applejack.

"Yes," answered Luna,"did you all believe I would deliberately murder someone in cold blood?"

They all rubbed their necks nervously.

But in the end, they all agreed it was their only option (and Rainbow was actually impressed by the shrewd plan) for them to return the little Argonian home without diverting from their path.

"Listen," said Luna, holding the others back with her wings. "Leave collecting the little one to me. You three take Jeelus-Shei back to the surface, he deserves a proper burial."

The trio of ponies exchanged looks.

"You sure, Princess?" Asked Applejack.

"Twilight had me accompany you so I could use my experience relieving the fears of others," replied Luna, "not only are we dealing with a frightened individual, but also a child. I am not only well experienced in abating the fears of a young mind, but I suspect meeting so many strange beings at once would be quite counterproductive in such regards. It's best just one of us approach at first, and it is also best it be the only one of us with experience with this sort of thing."

Twilight and the other two found Luna's reasoning to be sound and with a nod of approval, they approached Jeelus-Shei's lifeless body, giving him an apologetic look. It was best Twilight just teleport them outside, rather than haul him through the ruins, so the mulberry unicorn began channeling her magic."Princess... good luck."

Luna replied with a nod as her cohorts vanished in a flash.

---

Gently, Pinkie Pie and Rarity set the last corpse alongside its fellows, a line of slain Argonians dotting the Morrowind shoreline.

"I must say, darling," said Rarity as she used her magic to lay the Argonian's arms in a peaceful manner over its chest. "You're handling this a lot better than I expected."

Pinkie, for her part, while far from happy, wasn't deflated or dulled like she usually was when really upset, signifying she wasn't as upset as she had been in the past. "This isn't the first time I have ever seen somepony die."

"Oh really, darling?" said Rarity as she placed a comforting hoof around her bubbly friend.

"Yeah," said Pinkie in a mournful tone. "The rock farm where I grew up has been in the Pie family for generations, and... it's too far from any other pony settlements to have access to a cemetery."

Rarity put a hoof to her mouth. "Who...?"

"I was just old enough to remember my great grandparents before they passed," explained Pinkie solemnly. "I helped Ma and Pa with Grandma and Grandpa."

"Oh my dear, I am so sorry," weeped Rarity.

"It's ok Rares," smiled Pinkie, giving Rarity a hug. "They lived long, happy lives, and if anything it taught me to make sure life is as full of happiness and fun as much as possible."

Rarity and Pinkie smiled at each other as they broke the hug. But Rarity soon adopted a scowl as she looked over a short distance from them to where Spike and Fluttershy where. "If only this situation were the same."

Fluttershy had insisted on burying the Dunmer as well; so, using his tail as a spade, Spike was filling up a shallow grave while Fluttershy planted a steel dagger at its head as a makeshift marker, no doubt used to end some of the poor lives of these innocent Argonians.

"That brute doesn't deserve Fluttershy's kindness."

"Now don't get all sour Rarity," scolded Pinkie, "the poor guy is deady dead, that's punishment enough for whatever mean things he's done."

Having finished with their task, Fluttershy and Spike rejoined Rarity and Pinkie Pie, and together they threw looks of worry towards Mzahnch.

"How much longer do you think they'll be?" asked Fluttershy worriedly.

"Who knows," said Spike. "From what I can remember, Dwemer where known for building huge complexes that could stretch underground for miles."

"Maybe we should go check on them," suggested Rarity.

Before any of them could agree with or argue the suggestion, a purple flash went off some thirty feet to their right, and Twilight, Applejack, and Rainbow Dash appeared out of thin air on the shore. Some relieved squees and a group hug later and the six friends and their baby dragon companion were back together.

"Thank goodness," said Fluttershy as she released Twilight. "We were so worried."

"No need for that, Fluttershy," said Rainbow, striking a tough looking pose, "we were already a super awesome pony force to be reckoned with, and now that we have magic from another world at our disposal I'd to see anyone try to mess with us."

Rarity rolled her eyes at the pompous behavior of her friend, but was no less grateful that they had made it out in one piece. "So did you find..." Rarity noticed the limp figure that had appeared with her friends lying behind them and her hooves flew to her mouth with a distressed gasp.

Fluttershy, Spike, and Pinkie Pie followed her line of sight and gasped at seeing Jeelus-Shei's lifeless body lying on the shore.

"Oh no," whimpered Fluttershy, her eyes glistening.

"So... we were too late?" Moaned Rarity.

"Yeah," said Applejack solemnly, removing her hat and helmet in respect.

"If we had only gotten there a little sooner, we would have saved him," said Rainbow regretfully.

They all hung their heads in remorse.

"I... guess there was just nothing we could do..." whispered Pinkie.

"Well...I guess that means we will have to find another way to test these," said Spike, snapping his wrist band. He felt really bad for these poor people who had perished, but his upbringing with Twilight allowed him to see the logic of a situation more fluently than most.

Twilight had actually partially forgotten about that. "Not quite. There is one survivor we managed to get out of harm's way."

"Really?" said Fluttershy, "oh, thank goodness."

"So where is this survivor?" asked Rarity, looking around expectantly.

"Still in there," explained Applejack, pointing at Mzahnch. "Little guy is probably scared to death, so Princess Luna decided to stay to console him."

"Hey, that's right, the princess didn't pop up with you," said Pinkie.

"Sure she will be okay in that place all alone?" asked Fluttershy worriedly.

"Absolutely," said Rainbow, "we already thrashed all the bad guys that place could throw at us."

"And the Princess thought it would be a good idea for us to assist you all with burying these poor people while she deals with consoling the survivor," said Twilight, though she now took notice that none of the Argonians were buried yet. Not that it upset her, it wasn't exactly an easy task.

"About that, darling," said Rarity, "it... would not be a good idea to bury these poor things in this area."

Twilight grew confused, "why?"

"We found something on the guy that had the key to their shackles," explained Fluttershy.

"Something you need to see," said Spike, handing Twilight a scroll.

---

A metallic, disk shaped lid was set before the steel keg it had covered a second ago.

Carefully and patiently, Luna dipped her head over the rim, her luminescent horn flooding the interior.

"Hiiiiissssd!"

The first thing Luna noticed other than that threatening sound was a pair of glistening, reptilian eyes scurrying into the shadow of the keg's interior before the light of her horn seeped into every corner, leaving nothing to conceal the little life form within. Princess Luna was staring at a crouched, scaly figure that was barely longer than the length of her forehoof to her knee, green and red scales glistening in the light of her magic. Unlike Jeelus-Shei, this Argonian's head lacked fins, instead two tiny horns poked from the crown and extended about an inch. The little figure hissed threateningly again, but Luna could see immense fear in those beady eyes as they blinked up at her and she felt it was best she do what she did best.

Try and relieve that fear.

"Easy, little one," she said in as motherly a tone as she could muster. She wasn't entirely sure this little young Argonian could understand her, but maybe she could get it to respond to her voice positively if she used a tone that wasn't threatening and was soothing. "There's no need to be afraid, I will not hurt..."

"Ssstay back!!!"

The tiny voice sent Luna reeling back with surprise. It wasn't the fact that the little Argonian could talk, baby ponies were known to be able to speak soon after birth, what surprised her was the fact that the speech was understandable. Foals usually spoke random words for the first several months of their lives.

"I sssmall, but have clawsss!" The scraping of claws scraping on metal echoed within the keg. "Come clossse and I go for eyesss!"

Luna eyed said claws, and though they were small, they looked like they could inflict sufficient damage if needed. Still, Luna didn't scare easily, and it would do no good to leave this little one to its own devices.

"Have no fear," she said in what she hoped was a soothing voice. "I have no intention to harm you."

"I don't believe you," hissed the small Argonian. "You want to take me back to cage. Wanna sssell me... like I sssome tool... I won't go back... won't go back to cage!"

Yes, this was definitely slavery.

Nothing else could instill such fear as Luna saw in this young ones eyes. Briefly, the memory of countless ponies whose coats usually shone like the world's most coveted jewel, marching in a line, bound by chains, their coats as dull as the sinister sky above. She recalled as they had only a second of freedom before the dark tyrant that held them under his hoof dragged them into the shadowy purgatory she and her sister cast him into, so they might never be free from his black heart.

It only made her already clenching heart contract further.

"You need not be afraid, little one," said Luna, fighting to keep the desperation out of her voice. "I haven't come to take you back to the cruel people who wish to enslave you. In fact, it's my intention to see you returned safely home."

Briefly, Luna saw hope echo through the hard snarl the little Argonian was facing her with, but distrust and apprehension soon drowned it out.

"Liesss...no one in Morrowind friend of Argoniansss. Only want ssslave to till field."

Luna knew she had to stop this child's decline into its current mental state and fast, or it was unlikely she would ever earn its trust. She would rather not just scoop it up and drag it out of this place without convincing it she wasn't a threat, or it could end very badly, especially since it seemed that the only way to assure this little one's survival was to take it with them on their journey. Years of patrolling the dream realm of Equestria, countless nightmares she had chased from the minds of her subjects, young and old, what was best likely to ease the frantic mind of one so young.

A simple change in topic... and maybe a little frolicsomeness.

"Tell me little one," she began in her motherly voice, "do you like magic?"

The Argonian had a brief flash of confusion phase through its eyes at her words.

"Would you like me to show some?"

A violent hiss sounded from the keg.

"Have no fear," said Luna, her horn lighting up. "I will not harm you, in fact, I believe you will enjoy this."

A blue sphere sprang into existence at the tip of her horn and expanded to about the size of a cantaloupe, slowly lowering into the steel keg and hovering before the tiny, scaly figure crouched in the corner. Luna hoped her suspicion was correct and that her idea would work.

Channeling her magic, Luna activated the next spell she had poured into the small sphere of magic.

Instantly, a kaleidoscopic display of colors flashed from the interior of the orb, bathing the interior with an array of colors from every spectrum. It wasn't overpowering to see, but it would be difficult for anyone to see such a thing and not be instantly enthralled. Such as the fear plagued mind of one so young.

Slowly, the small Argonian's eyes began to fill with wonder and awe as its eyes remained transfixed on the floating blue sphere, containing several twinkling lights in every color imaginable. Luna saw the tension drain from its claws and an almost involuntary twitch took its place. Luna knew what that meant.

"Go ahead, touch it," cooed Luna, the Argonian hatchling jumping slightly, as if it had forgotten she was there. "It won't hurt you. Go ahead and touch it, little one."

Some of the apprehension from before resurfaced in those small eyes, but as multiple colors continued to dance in them, a budding curiosity soon overtook everything else. Slowly, the small Argonian's limbs stretched out under it and it slowly approached Luna's sphere of magic. It wasn't hard to reach in the confining space of the keg and soon a clawed digit gently tapped a luminous surface. It rippled like water.

The Argonian backpedaled in slight shock, but as the little waves ceased, leaving a smooth, round surface again, the unmistakable look of intrigue soon took over took its face. Luna smiled as the little child continued to poke at her magic, and began to put the next phase of her plan in motion, hoping it would not backfire. The Argonian moved to touch the sphere for about the eighth time, when it suddenly drifted out of reach to the opposite side of the steel keg.

The Argonian surprisingly didn't react in fear of the sudden movement, just tilted its head.

"Oh my," said Luna in feigned shock as the Argonian looked up at her. "Looks like you will have to chase it now."

The orb moved again and the Argonian looked to it again. It appeared unsure of what to do, but Luna began to direct the sphere closer, but moved it away before the Argonian could touch it... almost mockingly. Eventually, a spark flared within the Argonian's eyes, and with a twitch of its tail, it lunged forward, missing the orb by a meter.

Luna smiled as the Argonian began to chase her sphere like a playful kitten. No matter the species a child was a child. And all children loved to play.

After about the fifteenth lunge, Luna finally let the frolicking lizard catch its quarry. And she had a little surprise in store as well. This time when little claws came into contact with the sphere, something spectacular happened.

About a dozen smaller spheres sprang into existence and gracefully positioned themselves at different various positions within the keg, orbiting at gradual speed and bathing the interior with even more color. For the first time, the Argonian stood to all fours, now more resembling Jeelus-Shei than previously, eyes wide with even more wonder. Luna looked into those eyes, and saw something she was very familiar with.

She had seen that look before, in the dreams of certain individuals back in Equestria.

Often times certain ponies will dream of a pegasus that they know, being either their friends, siblings, or even their spouse. But the dreams in which Luna would usually see this look was when said dreamer wasn't a pegasus themselves. Often they would be sitting on the ground, at the porch of their house, or sometimes up on tall trees, watching a pony dear to them soar through the air, envying how simple it looks.

Wishing you could fly wasn't an uncommon dream, after all.

And Luna could see the same desire reflected in the eyes of this little soul as she watched her spheres circle about effortlessly, standing up in the air with no restrictions. It brought a new idea for how she could coax this little one out gently.

"Tell me," she cooed softly, the little eyes below just barely focusing up at her, unwilling to break contact with the enticing display around her. "How would you like to fly?"

Now that brought Luna the full attention of the young Argonian, "What?"

Luna could not help but blink in surprise. There was no threatening hiss or fearful drawl in that single word spoken her way, and without it it was unmistakable. Though still carrying an abundance of hissing in the accent, it was undoubtedly the voice of a female.

"What did you say?" she asked, her voice carrying a hopeful tone that no doubt had wiggled it's way in involuntarily.

Luna could not help but squee a little inside on how cute she now sounded. "You would like to fly? If you come with me, I might just take you flying with me."

The Argonian's look became slightly doubtful. "You lie, no creature who ssspeakss fly unlessss by magic, and that not sssame thing."

Luna looked back and twitched her wings, "I speak the truth, little one. It's well within my ability to fly, unaided by magic."

The Argonian blinked. "How?"

"With my wings, of course, silly," replied Luna.

"You hasss wingsss?"

"Mhmm, and if you come out of there I'll show you."

The Argonian appeared reluctant at first, but something within her was making it impossible for her to be as apprehensive. Slowly, she approached the side of the keg and began scraping at the metal as if scurrying up the wall. Of course, she only made it up about an inch or so before sliding back to the floor.

Luna could not help but giggle. "Here, let me little one."

She gently seized the little Argonian in her telekinesis, producing a startled shriek out of the reptile, but she put up no resistance otherwise. Slowly, Luna lifted her up and past the rim, giving the Moon Princess an unobstructed view of her for the first time. And the sparkling slave bracer on her right wrist.

Her slitted eyes shrank to thin lines as she adjusted to the brightness of the room, but when her vision returned she got her first look at Princess Luna, and her mouth dropped open in what could only be awe.

"You..." she stammered, tripping over her words like they were made of ice, "you not Dunmer!"

Luna arched her eyebrow in confusion that this wasn't obvious from the start, but maybe she wasn't too visible to the small thing from within that metal container. "That's right, I'm not," said Luna as she lay the Argonian on her feet on the floor. "And that is proof that I am not here to hurt you..."

As soon as the Argonian was free of Luna's telekinesis, she immediately scurried up to her and grabbed a lock of her free flowing mane, clawing at the little twinkling lights as if trying to grasp them. Luna could only arch her eyebrow again at the odd behavior, but couldn't find fault in her actions. She and her sister often found themselves in such situations, especially when the nobles brought their newborn foals to court.

The Argonian looked up at her with unbelieving eyes. "How you talk? Horsssesss don't talk."

Luna could not help but snort. "Technically, I am a pony, little one. As for how... well how come you talk?"

The question seemed to baffle the young Argonian.

"You just can, it's as simple as that."

For a few minutes, Luna watched as the little scaly figure circled her, examining every square inch of her body. It was so cute, she thought, as well as a far cry better than the apprehensive behavior from before. She stopped in front of Luna after another minute or so of observation, and stared at her in confusion.

"I thought you said you had wings?" she said disappointedly, "but horses don't have wings."

Luna blinked in confusion.

How has she not noticed the feathery appendages folded at Luna's sides after thoroughly orbiting her for so long? Then again, it was fairly dark in here, and maybe the little ones eyesight wasn't keen enough to see her wings, if they were blending with her coat. But that was easily remedied.

Standing tall and proud in front of the small Argonian, Luna spread her wings to their fullest.

Tiny, reptilian eyes widened to almost twice their size as Luna's already regal posture was amplified by her spread wings. Her legs wobbled, clearly losing the fortitude to support their owner's weight, so Luna steadied her with her magic.

"So what do you say, little one?" said Luna, lowering her head to level their eyes, "Would you like to go outside and fly with me?"

There was another reluctant pause, but finally, the tiny reptilian individual nodded her head.

That was all the answer Princess Luna needed, increasing the magic she was using to steady the Argonian child into full levitation, hovering on to her back. "Let's get out of this spooky place."

Luna's passenger looked around expectantly. "Isss Jeelus-Shei coming?"

Luna's heart clenched in sadness, "I am sorry, little one. Your friend... did not make it."

The little Argonian let out a sad sigh and rested her head into Luna's back. "Then... I am the only one left."

Luna knew exactly what she meant, and could not help but respect how easily she accepted it with grace. Not many could handle the fact that you were the only remaining member of a traveling party that once numbered in the dozens, let alone a young child. Deciding to forgo the scenic route, Luna lit up her horn and in a flash of blue magic, the Dwemer ruins of Mzahnch were empty once again.

---

Kyldar

I have tracked down the one responsible for the Argonian slaves' escape and weedled the truth from him. A ship bound for Black Marsh is set to rendezvous with them on the southern shore of Vvardenfell , near the Dwemer ruins of Mzahnch, Mundas Twelfth of the Sun's Height at 8P.M. Take an appropriate number of guards and intercept them before they can flee Vvardenfell, and if you can't detain them, slay them all. But if it comes to that, you will only receive half the promised commission, plus a bonus if you retrieve the bracers, which I shall include the key to with this note.

Savile Imayn

–-

Twilight looked up from the small note to the Oghma Infinium. According to the all powerful tome, today was the day mentioned in which this supposed ship to Black Marsh was to land in Vvardenfell, in this exact location. Which meant in just a few hours time, a proper method of returning the tiny Argonian slave home would be within reach, no violence necessary.

A huge relief.

"You're right, girls," Twilight said to her gathering of friends as she looked to the line of slain Argonians. "It's best we just let them be taken home. They would have wanted that."

"I agree," said Rainbow.

"Yes, home is where the heart is," said Applejack, taking off her hat respectfully, "even beyond death."

They all nodded in agreement.

"So," said Rarity, "you all actually found a child in that place?"

"Yeah, poor little fella," replied Applejack.

"And... Princess Luna stayed to try and calm the little thing?" Asked Fluttershy.

"Yes," replied Twilight, "there's no telling what it's been through and I figured from the start that Princess Luna's experience with trauma would come in handy."

"How long do you think it will take?" Asked Spike, looking at Mzahnch nervously.

"Hard to tell," said Twilight. "As I said, there's no telling what has happened..."

A flash of blue light revealed the Lunar Matriarch in her regal armor, standing a short distance from them.

"Princess Luna!" choursed seven voices.

"Are you okay, darling?" asked Rarity.

"Did you..." Applejack... in fact, they all fell silent at noticing the petite figure on Luna's back, blinking at the sudden brightness of the outside world, as well as the multiple colored faces staring at her.

"Awww, so cute," said Fluttershy, practically squeeing.

"OH, WOW!!!" Luna sagged under Pinkie Pie's sudden weight as she appeared on the back of her head, staring down at the now flabbergasted Argonian child as she stared down at her. "MY FIRST TIME MEETING AN ARGONIAN... WELL, A LIVING ARGONIAN. WHAT'S YOUR NAME, MY NAME IS PINKIE PIE...!"

"PINKIE!" scolded Rarity, yanking her friend off the staggering Princess Luna. "Must you?" She gestured to the line of scaly bodies. "Hasn't the poor dear been through enough?"

Pinkie blushed in embarrassment and shame, looking at the small Argonian, who she now noticed was shaking. "I'm super sorry, I was just excited to meet you."

"Really, Miss Pie," said Luna irritated, "do try to curb your enthusiasm with one so traumatized." She looked back to the one riding her. "Do not be afraid, little one. These are my associates, and I guarantee they mean you no harm."

Beady, reptilian eyes blinked at all the multicolored ponies in astonishment, having never seen such graceful creatures. "Ssso... beautiful..."

"Oh, it's a girl," said Rarity gently, "so adorable."

The little Argonian looked at them for a while, then back to Princess Luna. "Can we... fly?"

"Absolutely, little one," said Luna before turning to the others. "I promised her I would fly with her, best be ready to make for Tel Fyr as soon as we are done."

"Actually Princess, it may no longer be necessary for this little one to come with us after all," said Applejack, turning to Rainbow, "would you mind accompanying the princess up there so you can fill her in?"

"Easy peasy," said Rainbow with a salute.

With slight confusion with what may have developed while she remained in the ruins, Luna looked to the little one on her back while she tensed her muscles. "Get ready, little one."

Feeling little claws grab some strands of her mane, Luna spread her wings and took to the air. A delighted gasp left the scaly lips of her passenger as Twilight and the others fell away beneath them, the rippling water of the sea growing in size and the horizon glowing in the afternoon sun. Rainbow effortlessly soared next to her, for the Princess wasn't about to do anything overly dangerous.

"So tell me, Rainbow Dash, what has transpired since you returned to the surface?"

---

Excited laughter echoed in the blood red hue of the evening sun as Princess Luna graduated from simple flying to full on aerial acrobatics, Twilight and the others watching below.

Almost too soon, Luna saw something in the distance, and there beheld the unmistakable silhouette of a ship's mast.

"Look, little one," said Luna, halting in mid air. "That has come to take you home."

Flying down to an outcrop, Luna dropped the the little Argonian where it would easily be spotted by the approaching sea vessel, grateful and slightly disappointed that she didn't fuss, looking extremely forward to the escort home.

The Equestrian party hid among the shore line under any coverage that they could find, as a gangplank was lowered and several larger Argonians surrounded the young one and escorted her aboard, a small search party soon discovering the slain bodies of the others, and after some version of a mournful procession, the bodies were respectfully moved aboard as well. Before long, they weighed anchor and headed into the setting sun.

"Rainbow, do you know what to do?" asked Twilight.

"Gotcha," said Rainbow, vanishing in a flash of blue and orange, followed by the sound of flapping wings.

---

"Little one?" asked a kind Argonian sailor that held the Yet-to-be-named in his arms. "How was it that you sssurvived?"

"Sssome kind travellersss found me," answered a petite little voice. "They chased the metal monssstersss away, and took me flying."

"Flying huh?" A hearty laughter echoed in the evening. "Who were they?"

A little face blinked. "I... don't know..."

"Did they tell you their names?"

"I... don't remember..."

"What were they? Where they fellow Shadowscales?"

"I... don't know... I can't even remember their faces."

No more questions were asked, such a traumatic experience would be hard even for someone fully grown, let alone one so young.

A gust of wind disguised the flapping of pegasus wings, fading into the distance in the direction of Morrowind.

---

“Hey girls." Spike waddled up, having finished the task he had been given while Luna flew with the little Argonian.

All the Slave Bracers sat bundled together with vines from the surrounding foliage in Spike’s claws.

“Thank you, Spike," said Twilight, levitating the bundle in her magic and presenting it to Applejack. “Care to do the honors?"

“With pleasure, Twi," said Applejack, balancing the bundle on her back and flexing her hind legs. “Alright Bucky McGillicuddy 'n Kicks McGee, do your thing."

Bouncing the bundle from her hindquarters, Applejack bucked her hind legs out with all her might, and with a metallic clang, the Slave Bracers went sailing over the ocean so far that they cleared the horizon before even remotely beginning to descend. Applejack crooked her leg in pride."That is what I call getting her done."

Twilight rolled her eyes with a smile and presented the Slave Bracer key to Pinkie. “Know what to do, Pinkie?"

"Yepperoonnie!" Pinkie hooked the key with her forelock and spun it till it resembled a propeller, then let go, the key flying into the darkening sky. “Bye bye, don't come back!"

"Nothing," Rainbow told her friends as she returned. "She can't even recall that we were ponies."

They all breathed a sigh of relief.

"Thanks girls," Twilight said to her friends. "Not only have we confirmed that we are in fact hidden from recognition, but we saved an innocent life."

"Don't sweat it, sugarcube," said Applejack as Luna stashed their armor. "It's awfully hard to keep track of what is right in situations like this."

"I, for one, am glad we didn't need to leave the well-being of that little one in the hands of that brute," said Rarity.

"Gotta admit, it would have been amusing to see the Princess put him in his place," stated Rainbow, looking at Luna with a respectful smile. "I admire your grit, Princess."

Luna nodded in thanks and looked to the vanishing ship, silently wishing the little liberated passenger a good life away from enslavement. Their task of testing their identity complete, and having aided someone in peril, they resumed their journey. Since Tel Fyr was situated on an offshore island, it was decided that they had best follow the shore, as to avoid any more run-ins like this again.

"I only wish we could have learned the cute little thing's name," said Pinkie as she looked over her shoulder at the barely visible ship. "She may not remember us, but we sure will remember her."

"She is a Yet-to-be-named, Pinkie," said Twilight, "she doesn't even have a name yet." She looked to the horizon and smiled. "But she will someday."

Author's Note:

I dedicate this chapter to my kitty who passed away Nov29

HONEY
2006-2019

I miss you girl.

PreviousChapters Next