• Published 25th Apr 2019
  • 1,188 Views, 42 Comments

The Goddess of Winter - PoneStudios



There is a great immortal known only as the Winter Goddess who rules the Frozen Empire, far north. The four Princesses have good relations with her, but only through a messenger who makes the journey south to Canterlot to commune with the Princesses.

  • ...
3
 42
 1,188

Chapter Six: Approaching

Ambassador Snow sat in his personal suite in the castle, waiting for a message from Winter. It had been several weeks and he hadn’t had any contact with Winter at all. He’d given up trying to come with excuses three days ago, after he’d run out of ideas. Since then, he’d just waited for the letter from Winter to come and hoped that she wouldn’t be as mad at him as he thought she would.

When he heard the telltale flash of magic that preceded a letter being dropped on his lap, Snow looked up from his book and caught the scroll of parchment with magic. It had the Empress’ Royal Seal. Now both excited and nervous, Snow opened the scroll and looked at it.

To Ambassador Snow,

I’m coming.

Empress Winter

Snow’s eyes shrunk into pinpricks.

“She’s coming here? Now!? Oh, my… But I haven’t even prepared Celestia and Luna yet! I’ve got to do something before she gets here!” Snow hurried off to inform Celestia and Luna of several things which he’d neglected earlier.


As banners were being hung from the rafters of Canterlot Castle, Celestia let out a sigh. It was time for yet another Grand Galloping Gala. The Gala wasn’t for another week, but even a week before Celestia could tell that this year was to be just like all the other years: boring, stagnant, and rife with noble and political agendas.

Celestia turned to Luna, standing next to her.

“So…” Celestia took in a breath. “Do you think the nobles will have something actually interesting to show this year? Or do you think it’s another year of smiling and waving?” Luna looked at the banners.

“This year’s gala will be an interesting one, to say the least. The Winter Goddess did say she was coming, yes?”

“She did. I just got her letter in reply.”

“Hmm. Perhaps she’ll be able to finally add a bit of class to the gala for once.”

“I certainly hope so, Luna. Honestly, can these Nobles be any less boring and impolite?” Luna smiled.

“If they could, we would not be having this conversation, I do not think. Besides, don’t you like trolling them every year?”

“Oh, you’re right. I can’t help watching them all gawk speechlessly every year.”

“You do seem to have a penchant for making the nobility think twice about their haughty opinions, although I have to admit we both have our moments.”

“Remember almost ten years ago when I wore a fruit hat to the Gala?” Luna smiled.

“That was certainly something. Everypony including, to my chagrin, myself, was barely holding either snickers or scandalized gasps. I still do not understand why. That hat was absolutely genius.”

“Oh, it was perfect! I still have that hat, you know. It’s in my closet, preserved with a spell so I can use it again. Perhaps I will, someday…”

“Hmm. I seem to remember Baroness Sweet Duet destroying that hat.”

“Ah, yes. She destroyed it after I told everypony I was going to wear it permanently. I then recreated it and put it in my closet.” Celestia and Luna looked at the throne room doors when they opened. Ambassador Snow entered. Luna and Celestia looked at him. He had a look of anxiety in his eyes.

“Hello, Princesses. May I ask how your day has been?” Celestia smiled.

“Hello, Ambassador. My day has been fine. What do you wish to speak to us about?”

“I would like to have a word with you both in private, please. I… have something important to inform you of.” Celestia nodded.

“Of course you can. Let us find a more private setting.” Ambassador Snow nodded. He and the Royal Sisters left the throne room. As they were walking down the hall, Luna looked at Snow. For some reason, she felt like he was hiding something.

“Ambassador?”

“Hmm?”

“May we ask out of curiosity what it is you wish to speak with us about? You seem… anxious.” Snow took in several breaths.

“Am I? My apologies. These past few weeks have been stressful.” Luna nodded.

“Ah.” But Luna just couldn’t shake the feeling that Snow was hiding something.

When the three reached their destination --Celestia’s personal study-- they all stood in the middle of the room. Celestia and Luna faced Snow. Luna closed the door with her magic.

“So, Ambassador. What do you wish to say?”

“I… Celestia, first allow me to apologize. I have neglected saying several things to both of you, important things. Before I say what those things are, I must inform you that they are not pleasant things.” Luna raised an eyebrow. Celestia’s face didn’t change.

“We understand. Go on, Ambassador.” Snow sighed. Everypony froze when they felt a chill coming from seemingly nowhere.

“What was that?” Snow looked around nervously.

“I-I…” Snow sighed. Luna looked at Snow.

“Go on, Ambassador.”

“Okay… first off, Celestia. Empress Winter is on her way here right now, and by the way she wrote the letter to me, I don’t think she’s in a particularly happy mood.” Celestia’s eyes widened and her mouth hung open ever-so-slightly. Celestia and Luna shared a concerned glance.

“Why didn’t you inform me of this before?”

“I only just found out about it today. Empress Winter is not one to inform others beforehoof.”

“Ah. Well, if Winter is as angry you are implying she is, we may very well need to raise troops to protect Canterlot. Luna, when we are done here, would you mind?”

“Of course.”

“We’ll also need to prepare a suite for Empress Winter.”

“Princess-- the other things I needed to tell you are more important.”

“What other things?”

“It’s about Winter-- She’s-- She’s not who you--” Luna looked over to the study doors when they slammed open. A royal guard came in, panting.

“Your highnesses!” The guard heaved in several breaths. After several minutes, he stood up fully. “There’s… there’s somepony outside the castle, waiting for entry.” Luna cocked her head. Celestia’s mouth opened ever-so-slightly.

“What did they say their name was?”

“They didn’t say.”

“I’ll go investigate this. Luna, Ambassador, I am sorry, but I shall have to end this meeting early. Perhaps we could have this meeting at another time.” Snow smiled. Celestia noticed that it was strained. She wondered why.

“Or course, of course. Take all the time you need.”

“Of course, sister. I wish you luck.” Celestia left the study. She followed the guard who had notified her out to the main courtyard. As she walked down the alabaster marble hallways, she wondered who could possibly be putting up such a fuss about entering the castle. Anypony who lived in Canterlot would just come in, and no one from outside Equestria would come to Canterlot without announcing their arrival, including Cadence.

Celestia walked out the door to see who was waiting. She almost couldn’t move when she saw who it was.

“I-It’s…” Celestia stood there, unable to feel anything but shock. “You…” The Winter goddess stood there, emotionless. Winter smiled.

“Hello, Celestia. You didn’t expect to see me here, did you?”

Author's Note:

I am SO SORRY for being late! I didn't know what I wanted to do with this chapter for the entire week, which is also why the chapter is short, haha. Hope you enjoyed!