• Published 21st Apr 2019
  • 197 Views, 0 Comments

Awaiting Rainbow Cloud - CKPL



As parents are doing last-minute preparations for birth of new foal, their two daughters are sent to live with their aunt.

  • ...
 0
 197

Prologue. Cute-ceañera.

The cute-ceañera was coming to an end. Treats and drinks ran low. Foals were picked by their parents one by one, until only five ponies remained in the room. Silver Cloud, the filly whose celebration it was. Dusk Cloud, her older sister. The girls' parents, Snow Cloud and Bright Sky. And Snow's sister, Silver Lining.

"We are so proud of you, Silver" Bright Sky chimed for another time this day, filled with pride. "First in class to receive her cutie mark!"

Dusk Cloud smiled sheepishly, her tail instinctively covering her own bare flank. "Yeah, Silver. I see you're going for gold" she chuckled, doing her best not to feel upset that her younger sister beat her to getting a cutie mark. After all, it was celebration. And celebration meant cake, even if it was in someone else's honor.

"Mom, stop it... you're embarrassing me" Silver Cloud sighed. She was feeling tired with this affection and attention. "I just- I want to go read a book or something... or just lay down... just... leave me alone, okay?" she said tiredly. Indeed, it was already dusk, and the day was eventful for the young filly. Snow Cloud chuckled and hugged his daughter in his wings.

"Come on, you will miss it once you're not the baby of the family anymore" he held her close, stroking her mane. Silver Cloud looked up at him, then at her mother, and at him again.

"What do you mean?" she asked. Dusk Cloud's ears perched up.

"Do you mean what I think you mean?" she asked their mother, who nodded, beaming with smile.

"We are expecting a new foal soon" Bright Sky announced. This was enough for Silver Cloud to forget her tiredness and zoom back to her mother as fast as her wings allowed her.

"Really?! A new foal? A colt or a filly? When? I won't need to move in to Dusk's room, right?" she asked quickly. Dusk huffed. As if it could happen! Silver had her own room, and it could fit both her and the new foal. After all, two younger foals need less space than one quite big and one smaller.

"We actually planned to do some... renovations" Snow Cloud grinned. "We need to prepare the nursery room and expand the house to suit everyone. We have enough time for this before the new foal is born."

"Are you sure it's a good idea?" Silver Lining asked, worried. "You all know how lively the girls are. You will find it hard to do nearly any of the renovations... with Silver's energy... with Dusk's night flying habits..."

The adult pegasi looked at each other while Dusk tried to appear invisible. She knew she was trouble. She enjoyed flying at night and felt like sun hurt her eyes, so she usually slept through day after school, wearing tinted goggles when she had to be active during the day.

"And so, maybe the girls can stay with me for the time being? It will allow you to focus on redecoration" Silver Lining offered. She had taken care of both fillies now and then, for a few hours, so she felt confident she could deal with that.

It was a generous offer for the parents. While Bright Sky hesitated for a while, Snow Cloud was eager to immediately pack the fillies' saddlebags. Dusk trotted after her father, wanting to help. Silver Cloud meanwhile was too excited to do anything coherent. Silver Lining embraced her, chuckling. She loved the bubbly personality of her younger niece and always felt a little guilty for sometimes favoring her.

"Big day for you, huh, sweetie? Cutie mark, going to be a big sister and now sleepover with auntie... go, help daddy pack your things" she ruffled her mane. As the filly whirled away, Silver Lining approached Bright Sky. She gently stroked her sister-in-law's back.

"Thank you a lot" Bright Sky smiled. "I should make you a list about what to expect. You know, Silver Cloud can barely sit still for minutes, and Dusk Cloud..."

"...needs her goggles whenever she leaves home during the day, got it. She's a big girl, I'm sure she remembers to pack them. How about flying at night?"

"Don't worry about it. She's a great flier and will certainly just return home before dawn. Don't expect her to bring friends over from school either..."

Silver Lining sadly nodded. "I get it. Don't worry."

Soon the girls trotted towards their aunt. Silver Cloud proudly displayed new patches on her saddlebags, resembling her cutie mark. Silver Lining embraced them and soon took them to her house. It was nearly at the other end of town, so the three of them didn't waste any time. Dusk Cloud happily frolicked through moonlit clouds, paying no mind to her sister's calls to hurry up. The night was just too beautiful to pass.

After the fillies left with their aunt, Snow Cloud and Bright Sky trotted towards a large chest in their bedroom. Bright Sky swallowed hard, but stepped forward.

"Are you ready?" Snow Cloud asked gently, embracing her with his wing. The mare nodded shakily.

"I can't be more ready than I am now" she whispered. Snow pushed the chest aside, revealing door.

"Do you think the fillies remember anything?" he asked. The chest had been in this place for years.

"Maybe Dusk... she can have some glimpses. I'm nearly certain Silver was too young to know" Bright pushed the door open. She took a deep breath before she entered.

Behind the door was fully equipped nursery room. Although dusty, it still seemed to be in good condition, from the walls through the furniture to the smallest decorations. Some of the toys and clothes had belonged to Dusk or Silver before, but most were new, never used, never worn. Even the bright bunting above crib, saying "Welcome Baby Cloud" was intact.

Only there was no baby to welcome.

Not until now.

"I want to name him or her..." Bright Sky touched her abdomen. "Rainbow Cloud."

Author's Note:

If you aren't familiar with concept of "rainbow baby", it means a baby born alive after parents lost previous one by miscarriage or stillbirth (sometimes extended to infant death).