• Published 1st May 2020
  • 181 Views, 0 Comments

Cherry Tune: A New Tune Season Two - CherryTune



Season Two of Cherry Tune: A New Tune

  • ...
 0
 181

Ch 03 Return of Old Enemies

By morning Moonlet and Nightfall had already been setting up shop for the arrival of the train. The cars started pulling into the small station and unloaded the passengers first before offloading cargo. Not many creatures disembarked but a few extra guard creatures as well as Cherry, Sapphire, Sunny, Promenade, and Sugar Cloud.

Cherry divides the group into teams. Moonlet and Cherry would check out the river that ran along the south side of the burial grounds. Sunny and Sapphire would check the west path that led north up the river to the mountain side along the outpost walls, and Promenade and Sugar were to patrol the foot of the mountains to the northeast.

“Are you sure you don’t want to join one of the groups Nightfall?” Moonlet asked?

“As much as I would like to, I have a shop to keep up.” Nightfall said looking over at Sunny.

Sunny raised an eyebrow saying, “I can see how keeping the shop would benefit the guard. So it’s perfectly in the realms of your duty Nightfall.”

Moonlet frowns at the statement but does see the importance of the shop. “Okie then.” She said lightly.

“Alright! Let’s get going!” Cherry said enthusiastically.

The six of them meet up with the outpost commander, Zephyr Fire and she relays the most recent sightings of random spirits zipping around the outpost. “So far it’s only been a few. But when the sightings stop, we usually lose someone.” Zephyr Fire says. “We are certain that these spirits are taking control of our folks in the outpost. Much like Reaper did in the badlands.” She added.

“I... am sorry for the losses. I am sure you heard the horde army couldn't be saved.” Sunny said.

Zephyr choked back her emotions and replied. “I read the reports… Just help me protect the rest of the families here Sunny.”

Sunny gave Zephyr a long hug and said, “I’ll do my best for you Zephyr.”

The team first go around the outpost gathering reports from the guards and civilian population. Though it had been a guard post when first established it had since developed into a small town complete with a school, hospital, town center and the old barracks were fashioned into decent homes. The town hall was more a university where scholars, anthropologists and other academics worked.

They preserved the history of the burial grounds offering insight to the old tribe but following Zecora’s strict guidelines to protect the grounds. The university also studied ancient artifacts to learn about the spirits of old. As Cherry’s team returns from the town they meet up at the university in a classroom reserved for them and their investigation.

Cherry sat at the front of the class and kicked her back legs up on the desk. “So the spirits seem to be coming from the grounds themselves.” She said.

Sunny pushes Cherry’s legs off the desk, raising an eyebrow replying, “True, most of our reports say that the majority of these spirits come from the grounds it appears there are others that came from outside the grounds.”

“Aye, Sugar and I spoke to a hippogriff that recently came from the Badlands to join this community and to learn about the spirits especially after the battle of Reaper.” Sapphire said.

Sugar added, “Yeah she said that soon after Reaper was destroyed, she noticed a burst of differently colored orbs explode from a mountain range not far away from Sand Dune.”

Promenade tilted her head and pondered. “Hmm though the smaller spirits that possessed the golems were spherical in form they were pretty much just dark orbs with perhaps a dark purple or dark red centers. Nothing like the various colors the hippogriff described.”

Moonlet jumped in saying, “That might be true but remember that the spirits spawned by Torment only possessed the stoned ancients. Not the living. Only Reaper had the power to turn living into the horde.”

“And if these spirits somehow broke off form Reaper it could explain how they have the power to take over our guards.” Sunny said.

“But Reaper was defeated moons ago. Why are we just now seeing these affects? And would we not see similar reports from the Badlands?” Cherry asked.

Sugar and Sapphire’s ears perked up. “We’ve definitely been out of touch with the Klugetown since moving here.” Sapphire said.

“Yeah, I can send an emberlight to Sekhmet and the Bovines and see if they have had any issues with stray spirits.” Sugar added as she charged her horn and shot two energies out the window.

Sunny thought back to the briefs prior to leaving Canterlot. “Indeed, also I don’t remember reports to the detail that this hippogriff gave. Any information from Klugetown or the Bovines would help.”

“Well what are we waiting around here for. If the Badlands are going to get answers we should explore the Burial Grounds.” Cherry said.

“Right!” the team said in unison.

They arrive at the gate where Zecora used her amulet to remove the magic shroud, the six stood looking into the strangely barren grounds. Sunny sighed and said, “Alright, Prom, you’re straight ahead, Sapphire you’re with me. Cherry…”

“Yeah… Moon and I got this!” Cherry replied. “Okay then, the potions magic will continue for about an hour, let’s take the first ones now just in case and save the other for emergencies.” she added.

The six shoot back the potion and as expected, don’t notice any change. They begin their routes searching for any evidence of spirit leaks.

Cherry Tune and Moonlet begin south of the Burial Grounds along the river. They reach the banks and head East all the while catching up as the two hadn’t been on official duty together in many moons. “Soooo, how’s the shift holding up?” Cherry asked.

Moonlet shrugged and replied, “It’s going fine I guess. I do miss our conversations with you, me and Luna though.”

“Yeah, I was wondering about that.” Cherry said. “How are they since Nightfall has covered in my absence?” She asked.

“Well, between me and Luna we have a pretty good back and forth but Nightfall is mostly quiet.” Moonlet said. “He does jump in with a rather well time snarky comment that’ll have Luna and I rolling but he mostly just sits back and serves the two of us the snacks and drinks I prepare.” She added.

“Oh yeah! Personal servant, and a Captain no less!” Cherry said.

“No!” Moonlet exclaimed. “I mean it’s nice and all but I feel like he thinks Luna too much of Royalty to loosen up around her.” she continued.

“Well that’s not far from how you acted at first, and not too long ago you even expressed concern how we are just low pony folk.” Cherry said.

“Well.. I … I guess you’re right.” Moonlet said.

A silent pause fell for a moment before Cherry asked, “So how does he act when Luna doesn’t show up? There has to be times where she can’t make it. It was fairly common with you and I.”

Moonlet pondered for a moment. “He does seem to converse a lot more. But more than just small talk, I feel he actually opens up more.”

“Which of course makes sense as he seems to always remind you of the code of guard and all that.” Cherry said.

Moonlet’s face went blank as she said in a glum tone, “Yeah...don’t remind me…”

The two keep their route heading East along the river. Meanwhile Sunny and Sapphire patrol North along the West boundary of the Burial Grounds which ran along the East wall of the Outpost.

“Can’t I just fly ahead though?” Sapphire complained.

“No!” Sunny snipped. “We have to take this slow and methodical otherwise we risk missing something.” she added.

“Ugh… fine.” Sapphire grunted.

“You’re being rather childish Sapph, may I remind you we are on duty and I am still the officer in charge.” Sunny said.

“Ugh, yes ma’am.” Sapphire said, rolling her eyes.

“You alright, dear?” Sunny asked. “This is highly unlike you.” she added.

“I’m… fine..” Sapphire replied.
“It’s Vernal Bloom isn’t it.” Sunny asked with a smirk while raising an eyebrow.

Sapphire looks over and raises an eyebrow of her own asking, “How could you possibly know that?”

“Young mare, I am smarter than I look. And besides. You’re largely calm and collected. The most recent thing different in your life is your new relationship with Vernal Gem.” Sunny said.

“Well damn, and I thought you said Cherry was one of the best detectives in the guard.” Sapphire replied.

“Sweetie, who do you think taught her?” Sunny said smugly strutting past Sapphire.

“Alright, alright, you made your point.” Sapphire replied. “And yes, it is Vernal.” she added.

“Well we got a long walk, and I’m all ears!” Sunny said.

They clear the last of the Outpost wall and continue along the mountain side.

Author's Note:

As Always, please let me know all of your comments! Better quality feedback, better quality chapters in the future!
Thank you for reading, I hope you enjoyed! Check in next time for Chapter 4 "Fresh From the Fight'', 30 July 2020

Check out my other media on this pages.
Deviant Art - https://darkearthdragon.deviantart.com/
Patreon - https://www.patreon.com/cherrytune For early access to the next chapters.
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSnPNIgrNGEM7s40rwD2uwQ?view_as=subscriber
Facebook Page - https://www.facebook.com/CherryTuneStudios/
Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/cherry_tune/