• Published 26th Mar 2019
  • 411 Views, 12 Comments

Love and Harmony - BadDream



In an Equestria not quite what it seems, Princess Cadance is tasked by her Aunt with overseeing the Summer Sun Celebration.

  • ...
 12
 411

Princess Cadenza Mi Amour

…Thus the Nightmare cackled as her sister kneeled, tears in her eyes. She, so far in darkness and arrogance, could not see the truth behind her elder’s tears until the elements, once shared between them, rose behind the Sun and, with a heavy heart, banished their sister to the moon.

Forevermore…

Cadance blinked back tears of her own as she closed the book with a faint snap- the emotional climax where the mild-mannered Dream had chosen the twisted mare Darkness over her own sister… she was glad the Moonbound story was only loosely based on the Mare in The Moon, to imagine the events being real… at least the author had announced her intention for a happier sequel?

She glanced skyward and realised she had been reading for the better part of a morning. Regina Chrys’ works were so enrapturing! The themes of betrayal weren’t a favourite of Cadance’s, but with the author’s promise the series wouldn’t end without Darkness’ comeuppance or resolution, and the platonic love between the sisters triumphing would more than make up for the omnipresent darkness.

Reluctantly, she returned the book to her saddlebags, she had a foal- well, dragon-sitting appointment with Twily’s younger brother, Spike, and he hadn’t inherited his sisters obsession with books- and even if he had she would hesitate to expose him to Chrys’ work so young merely to justify a re-read- so she would likely only have time for a single chapter of the more in-depth analysis necessary to truly appreciate the franchise.

As she headed in the direction of the Sparkle residence however, she was stopped by an item in her saddlebags that had not been their earlier. Confused, she removed it to reveal a letter from her mentor and Aunt, Princess Celestia.

Dear Cadence,

Could you please meet with me as soon as you receive this? I have organised young Spike another foalsitter, so you need not worry.

Love, Celestia.

P.S: I am aware you likely missed this letter’s arrival. Fear not.

Cadance frowned slightly, her aunt wanted her? Presumably it would take a while if Celestia expected her to be unable to arrive in time for Spike, but it wasn’t time-sensitive if the post-script was an indication yet the short message itself carried the opposite implication. Before she knew it, she was stood before the gates of Canterlot castle, still none the wiser to her Aunt’s motives.

She travelled the familiar steps to her Aunt’s study, still pondering the answer. She knocked once and the door swung open with a faint green glow.

“Ah, finally, apologies for the short notice Cadance but I have an important task for you- well semi-important. Foot-in-the-door important. Less important than-world-ending-important, more important than cake-crisis-important.”

“So, not an international crisis, but definitely a national one?”

Celestia, with mock-annoyance, swatted Cadance as she continued, “Hush, I want you to oversee preparations for the summer sun celebration- it’ll be a decent learning experience, and perfectly safe- the locals have mostly finished, you just need to make sure the finishing touches go alright, ok? I have a list of people you’ll need to talk to and a chariot waiting.”

Cadance beamed, “Of course! It’s in a town called Ponyville this year, right? Near the Everfree? If nothing else, it’s a good tourism opportunity!”

“That’s the spirit! I’ll see you at sunrise dear niece!”

With that Cadance was in a chariot, the two guards’ ponies who would be carrying her barely blinking as their princess teleporting her. Next to her was a white unicorn stallion with a blu-

“Shiny?!”

“Oh, hey Cady… guessing her highness forgot to mention I’d be here too?” He smiled as Cadence nodded, blushing slightly, and the two pegasi guards took off, “Yeah, she wanted some extra guards for some reason this year, so I need to make sure the boys are ok. No-idea why, before you ask,”

Cadance just nodded, she had an inkling to the reason and it most certainly was not security concerns. It far more likely concerned the stallion sitting besides her. Because her aunt was a meddling meddler who meddled and Cadance was most certainly in no way whatsoever a hypocrite.

The journey consisted of pleasant small-talk and companionable silence as the two of them enjoyed the view and checked their respective to-do lists until the small village came into sight.

“So where are you going first Shiny? I need to check catering at Sweet Apple Acres and Sugarcube Corner- I do have to wonder how anypony plans to end the day with teeth, with names like that,” Cadance asked, checking her list,

“Hm? Oh, I need to go to the local outpost then check in with the mayor, maybe we could meet in the town hall? When you’re done- I mean- I assume- uh- y’know- safety reasons…”

“Of course Shiny, you may be waiting a while though, I have quite a few ponies to see…”

“Um, yeah, I knew that… uh.. see you then?” without waiting for an answer he walked towards the outskirts of the small town.

Cadance stifled a giggle as she followed the map she had been given to Sweet Apple Acres.

--

“- An’ this is a bit o’ Apple Mills signature turnover,”

“Thank you for your generosity Applejack, but I should probably be on my way,”

“O’Course, Ah probably shouldna’ kept you so long, princess, you got a hole town ta’ get through afer’all,”

“It’s no problem really, those were some of the best pastries I’ve ever eaten,”

“Aw shucks, it ain’t nothin’ really- just what Ma and Pa’s passed on from their Ma and Pa,” a knocking interrupted Applejack’s deflection, and a mare with a curly pink and blue hair poked her head in the door,

“Um… may I borrow Apple Bloom again AJ? I only need her to man the stall for an hour tops,”

“Oh oh can I?! Pleeaaassseee big sis?” A small filly bounced up to the farmer, grinning. “BonBon let’s me have cheaper sweets!”

“Of course, employee discount!”

“It’s fine with me Bon’, what’s the crisis this time?” Applejack asked, ignoring her sisters exited dance,

“No crisis this time- Lyra’s coming to town! We’re going to spend some time together at the Summer Sun Celebration, then she’ll stick with me in the store,”

“Real’y? That’s mighty fin’ news fer once, say howdy for me will ya’?”

“Of course, I’ll grab Apple Bloom in a bit if you don’t mind?” at a final confirmation, Bonbon walked out of the door, and Cadance stood to leave too, waving by to her hosts as she left. Why did the name Lyra sound so familiar?

Author's Note:

No, Celestia isn't OOC. It's intentional.

Anyway- alt Mane 6 story go!