• Published 30th Mar 2019
  • 1,186 Views, 116 Comments

Dissonance: A Hidden World - Braininthejar



"That which can be destroyed by the truth, deserves to be." But does it always? And just what is the truth about the Elements of Harmony?

  • ...
1
 116
 1,186

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 21: The Omen

"Is everypony ready?" asked Obsidian, looking around the room.

They were in a small chamber, several floors above the main level of the palace, a round room most likely specifically built for performing magic. It was right in the center of the tower, above both the throne room and the Crystal Heart far below, separated from other chambers by several twisting corridors and a very solid door. The crystal walls glowed with a soft light, providing illumination.

Twilight looked at a short list she was holding. Checking off the last point, she gave both the paper and the pen to Spike. “We are ready,” she said. “Spike, you guard this door. You wake us up if anypony gets past Shining’s guards.”

Spike folded the paper under his arm and saluted. “I’ll do my best, Twilight… How do I wake you up?”

“The spell will be weaved with a security system,” said Obsidian, pointing his staff at the outermost layer of the circle he had drawn on the floor. “If anypony gets in contact with it, we will be snapped back to our bodies instantly. Now stand in the circle, on your symbols.”

One by one the six mares took their positions. Obsidian looked around for the last time, to make sure everything was in order. Finally he set his staff flying above him, the very center of the circle. “Okay, you can start channeling when you’re ready.”

Twilight closed her eyes and focused her thoughts inward. The gem on her forehead started glowing a soft light, which spread to the inscriptions underneath her hooves and then started spiralling towards Obsidian’s staff. After a moment of observation the other girls followed suit, their colors filling the circle and then reflecting in the walls, until the whole chamber was filled with a vortex of rainbow colors, spiralling around Obsidian’s weapon. Giving one last look at the circle, Spike scampered out of the room, and slammed the heavy door shut behind him, a moment before everything was bathed in a bright flash.

"Where are we?" asked Applejack.

The stone floor echoed under her hoof. Above her, darkness stretched forever, sprinkled with innumerable, tiny lights. Lines of darkness stretched across the sky, enormous rings encompassing the floating island.

“We’re back in the Void Passage,” said Rainbow Dash, flying a bit up for a better view.

Applejack blinked “How did we get here so fast?” she asked nopony in particular.
“That was the point of using the spell, wasn’t it?” said Obsidian. He used the staff to illuminate the darkness around him, visibly looking for something.

“Ah, there it is,” he said, walking towards what turned out to be a large flower pot. The girls followed, all looking with interest as he approached the amaranthine flower.

“Since I am the most experienced with the Amaranthine,” said Obsidian, “it is logical that I should use it. With the power flowing to me from the Crystal Empire, I will be able to show you more than usual before the life drain can hinder my abilities.”

Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy looked at each other with unsure expressions.

“You missed that part,” explained Twilight. “Perhaps it will be simpler if you just see it.”

Rainbow Dash looked around. “Where is that Verba guy?”

“Patrolling the dreamscape around the Crystal Empire, in case the Shattered try something again,” said Obsidian. “The Void Passage itself had enough means of keeping the Amaranthine safe until our arrival. Now please come closer.”

He leaned closer to the flower, and exhaled slowly, a blurred outline of his face stretching out and getting absorbed. Applejack and Rainbow Dash tried to keep their faces straight, but the rest of the girls cringed visibly. The petals of the flower lit up and soon light started flowing upwards from it, until a ball of light expanded above the pot. Obsidian smiled with satisfaction.

“See? there you are,” he said. The ball of light turned opaque, then translucent, and then an image started appearing inside it; the ritual room, with all the ponies still standing inside it, their eyes closed. “You might notice that your crystals are no longer glowing. The Elements stopped working when your minds got here. Technically their powers are here with you now.”

The mares looked at each other, then at the Elements each of them was wearing.

“So, it’s just our minds that are here?” asked Rarity, looking from the image to her friends and back. “Is this why Applejack is wearing her hat?”

Everypony looked at Applejack, who turned slightly red. “Sheesh, I didn’t even notice. I didn’t have it when I woke up in that pod and had no time to take one from my closet in Ponyville, but I guess I can’t imagine myself without it.”

“Wait,” said Rainbow Dash, “so we can be anything we can imagine here?”

“Yes,” said Obsidian, “If you have enough conviction to power through your internal self-image. And don’t mind the risk of losing the grip on what you really are.”

Dash winced and fell silent.

“So, the Elements have done their job,” said Twilight.

“Better than I expected,” said Obsidian. “I think I might have given you girls too little credit. I will start teaching you things like group teleportation, if you survive this mess that is.”

“How much power does it take to get here?” said Twilight Sparkle.

“I could have done it with the leyline alone, if you didn’t have the Elements. It would just take longer. Why?” said Obsidian, without taking his eyes off the vision.

“I’m still wondering how we got here the first time round,” said Twilight. “There is no leyline under Ponyville, I think, and whoever did it, didn’t have the Elements, so-”

“Can it wait?” interrupted Obsidian. “I know the Crystal Tower is feeding my body magic to make it easier, but you can’t expect me to just stand here chatting. What do you want to see?”

Twilight blushed, a short apology mumbled under her breath. The mares approached the flower from all sides, looking at the shimmering sphere intently.

“We need to see inside that mountain,” said Rarity. “I want to see my family.”

“Well, that’s two different things,” said Obsidian. “with the Amaranthine, it is very important to focus on your goal, and to state your intent correctly. Otherwise you’ll waste your time chasing random visions, or worse, see what you want to see, instead of the truth. Dissonance is full of dreams, and distorted memories. But enough of that. If you want to get your vision, you need something to focus on, some link to guide the spell. Knowing the exact time and place is among the most straightforward foci. Let’s see…”

He closed his eyes, and for the briefest moment he seemed slightly translucent. The vision changed to a bird’s eye view of Canterlot and then descended, towards the mountain top, tons of rock spreading open like thick mist.

“There are tunnels, just like Shining said,” commented Rainbow Dash.

“There are,” said Obsidian. The image kept shifting as his gaze wandered around the compound. “This is where the entrance is,” he said pointing at a cliff wall that, under closer scrutiny” turned out to be a massive hangar door. “There are clearly some spells reinforcing it and keeping it hidden. But right above…” the image shifted again, focusing on a small ledge, which led into a nook between the rocks and then inside the mountain “is a much more discreet entrance. I should be able to get in without triggering any alarm spells.”

“It’s all well and good,” said Rarity, “but where is my family?”

Applejack didn’t say anything, but nodded vigorously.

“In a moment,” said Obsidian. “I need to see as much as I can while the vision lasts, so I can re-create it later. There aren’t many guards, it seems.”

The vision swept through the corridors and down stairs. On several intersections it passed heavy pony armors with glowing eye slits. Twilight observed them with interest.

“I wonder what all these machines are for,” she said, looking at a multitude of strange devices littering the side rooms. “Oh, I wish I could take a look at those in more peaceful circumstances.”

“There they are!” shouted Pinkie Pie suddenly, jumping excitedly and pointing her hoof at the sphere.

The vision was showing a large chamber, obviously an airship hangar of some sort, though its door opened into the one before it rather than to the outside of the mountain. While the first hangar was filled with all sorts of flying contraptions, big and small, this one was almost empty - there was just a couple of machines stored in the corners, and along one of the walls, a line of metal cages. All the mares leaned in for a closer look. Fluttershy gasped.

There were ponies in the cages, clumped in groups of two or three, all snoring softly. The biggest pile was the Cakes’ family, all in a single cage, next to them, Granny Smith was slumped over the massive frame of Big Macintosh. A pair of unicorns, a white stallion and a pink mare occupied the third cage. The last one contained a single, orange pegasus filly. Her fur and mane seemed slick and damp, and her head was resting on a pillow somepony must have brought with her.

“Scootaloo!” shouted Rainbow Dash. “What is she doing there?”

“Wait,” said Applejack. “Apple Bloom isn’t there.”

“Neither is Sweetie Belle,” said Rarity, looking around the hangar frantically. “Where are they?”

“So, even if all these ponies are who they seem, the Shattered still have a couple hostages to spare?” said Obsidian. “I’ll look for them in a moment. First things first…”

“What do you mean… if all of them are who they seem?” asked Fluttershy.

“I’ve told you already, haven’t I?” said Obsidian. “These could all be monsters in disguise. Now... “

The vision’s point of view rose, focusing on a balcony at the end of the hangar. There was something there, that wasn’t quite right, the empty space that was somehow conspicuous. The longer the girls looked, the more obvious it became.

“There she is,” smiled Obsidian. “That’s Arrogance, waiting for you to show up. I bet she’s been standing there for hours already, just so she can make a big entrance. It would be so like her.”

“You were right. It is a trap,” said Twilight.

Obsidian snorted. “Of course, I was right. Now let us see where these ponies came from.”

The image shook and then started shifting, like an artwork made with colored sand that somepony kept sweeping, details of the scene changing as the story of the captives unfolded in reverse, a cloud of green gas putting them to sleep, moving armors herding them through the tunnels and into the cages, soldiers escorting them to the palace dungeons...

“Wait,” said Twilight Sparkle, pointing her hoof at one particular image. “That earth pony who brought Scootaloo and the gas canister. She’s Dr.Stone. But I saw her die!”

Obsidian smirked. “Well, that means either she is tougher than she looks, or there is more than one of her. Either way you have been misled.”

“Do you think that’s, whatshername, Deception?” said Dash, taking a closer look at the scientist.

“That would be a logical assumption,” replied Obsidian. “Or she could be a construct of some sort.”

The image kept shifting, finally stopping in an encampment filled with citizens of Ponyville, guarded by a flock of serious looking pegasi.

Obsidian nodded in satisfaction. “It seems they really are your families. We might use Honesty to verify it later. Now, I’m sure you won’t let me do anything else until you find your sisters?”

Rarity looked at him with indignation. “Of course not! Can you find them?”

Obsidian sighed and leaned over the flower again. His body became transparent for a moment, as the plant fed on his essence. Twilight gave him a worried look.

“You mean the two squirts I’ve seen with you at the hospital, yes?” said Obsidian, as the sphere started dimming, the images dissolving into blue mist.

“Yes,” said Rarity and Applejack in unison.

“Finding a specific pony without coordinates is harder,” said Obsidian, focusing on the vision. The mist swirled, brief flashes of various pony children showing within, but no clear vision appeared.

The two mares craned their necks, almost touching the sphere, their eyes scanning the shifting chaos, searching for a glimpse of their loved ones. Minutes passed.

Finally, Obsidian took a step back and the vision dimmed. “Nothing,” he said.

For a moment, there was silence. Then all the mares shouted together.

“WHAT!?”

Obsidian took and released a deep breath, with an expression that was just short of rolling his eyes. “The Amaranthine can’t find them. That means either they don’t exist, or they are very well protected from scrying. I’d wager on the latter though. I don’t think the Shattered would have a reason to kill them, much less so thoroughly that I couldn’t even find them in Dissonance.”

“But then, how can we find them?” asked Applejack, pushing past Twilight to get right in Obsidian’s face.

The stallion stepped back, his staff twitching as if about to swat her, but Applejack didn’t react.

“Follow clues,” said Obsidian. “Find somepony who knows. Use other methods.”

Rarity closed her eyes, visibly thinking hard. When she opened them again, there was determination in her gaze. “You said you can view things when you have the time and the place, didn’t you? That means you can look into the past too, right?”

Obsidian nodded slowly. “I can.”

“Can you see the future, to show us how this ends?” chimed in Pinkie Pie.

Obsidian looked at her sideways. “That’s way trickier. Not only would I be looking for something that doesn’t exist yet, even if I managed to get a clear vision of anything, the future would change the second I showed it to you, wouldn’t it?” He turned towards Rarity. “The past though I can see into. I assume you want me to look where you last saw your sister?”

Rarity nodded. “The girls were in a bedroom just next to ours.”

Obsidian was already focusing on the Amaranthine, the vision shifting into a bird’s eye view of the castle. “Where?” he asked. Rarity pointed a hoof and the picture shifted, following her directions.

“The time would be… just after the device in the dungeon blew up?” said Obsidian, not looking away from the vision.

“Yes,” said Applejack. “We were there too.”

The vision shifted, the days moving backwards until the moment of the explosion. Obsidian squinted as the picture cleared, the four mares now arguing in the corridor of the guest wing. He pushed the point of view along the corridor, to the only door that wasn’t yet open. The two fillies were there, huddling together and visibly scared.

***

“They could change into ponies, couldn’t they?” asked Sweetie uncertainly.

Apple Bloom turned towards her. “Yes, but-”

Then an alarm sounded. Both fillies looked in the direction of the door.”

“We need ta get out of here!” called Apple Bloom.

Sweetie grabbed her over her withers. “Wait, we can’t go out there! What if there are monsters, or… or that Obsidian guy!”

Apple Bloom looked her in the eyes. “What if it’s a fire alarm? If there is fire, we can’t stay here hiding, or we’ll get trapped! That’s what mah sis taught me.” She walked purposefully towards the door. “Come on, we need to get out of here!”

She reached for the doorknob, but the door opened before she could touch it. There was a thick clump of nothing, obscuring the vision outside.

***

The whole vision blurred, dissolving into a shapeless, colorless mass.

“What in tarnation was that?” asked Applejack, staring at Obsidian with scared eyes.

“Something’s obscuring the vision,” replied the stallion, “Just like I told you. Somepony doesn’t want to be seen, and is very, very good at it.”

“There was a guard there before we left,” said Rarity. “He said he was there to take care of the girls. Can you see there for a moment?”

Obsidian complied. The vision shifted to the four mares in the corridor, only to blur and dissolve again as somepony approached. Rarity fell silent, staring at the sphere as if she could pierce the uncanny mist with sheer effort of will. Fluttershy stood next to her, saying nothing, but putting a comforting wing over her back.

“But…” hesitated Twilight, “You could find Princess Celestia with this. This doesn’t make sense. If she couldn’t hide from the Amaranthine completely, who could?”

Obsidian stared at Twilight. “Who indeed… It is a very important question, The problem is, it is not all about raw power. It is also about being familiar with ancient scrying magic, perhaps with the Amaranthine itself. That should limit the number of possible suspects, but somehow it just makes matters more confusing, doesn’t it?”

“So, what do we do now?” asked Rainbow Dash from above.

“Well, first of all, we’ll end this spell,“ said Twilight Sparkle. “I can already see Pinkie Pie through Obsidian’s head. That can’t be healthy.”

Obsidian nodded, stepping away from the flower. Instantly the light began to dim.

“Wait,” said Applejack. “Shouldn’t we learn more about the ambush first?”

“If we keep looking any longer, Obsidian will be in no shape to go with us,” said Twilight.

Everypony looked at Obsidian, who smiled sadly. “I would have told you to start with tactical data. But with your sisters at stake, you’d never listen, so I didn’t bother.”

His staff lit up, providing illumination when the light of the flower faded to a soft glow. Then he tapped the staff on the floor.

“Fortunately, we’ve managed to learn plenty.”

The ground vibrated and then the giant wheels surrounding the platform started turning. Suddenly, with a sound like a sigh of a thousand ponies, a hangar full of airships came into existence around the girls.

“Now you can walk around and learn your battlefield,” smiled Obsidian.

***
Tourmaline checked her notes for the fourth time.

She didn’t need to. She knew she had done everything just as described. The tangle of glass tubes on her nightstand bubbled happily, the contents slowly changing color, just as the book said they would.

The filly took a deep breath, trying in vain to calm her nerves, then closed the dusty tome and put it away on the shelf. In doing so, she briefly glimpsed her eavesdropping gadget, hidden behind the books. For a moment she balanced on her back legs, trying to push the book into its place, finally giving it the final shove and collapsing sideways onto her bed.

Augh… not now! she thought, as her temple vibrated with a dull ache. Rolling off her bed, and back on her hooves, she looked towards the nightstand. She knew her pills were in the drawer.

No, she thought. One must not mix medicine, especially where magic is involved. I’ll have to bear it somehow… I hope I don’t get a seizure. I can’t, not now…

She checked the wall clock.

Mom will go to sleep in about two hours. If they don’t attack by then, I will still need 15 minutes to prepare. Then I need to get past the wards…

She shook her head dejectedly. There are so many things that can go wrong. I hope this really works as advertised.

Looking around the bedroom, she once more made sure all her equipment was in place. Then she approached the table, grabbing the last ingredient, a mug full of minced flower petals, with her mouth.

She walked to the nightstand and slowly emptied the cup into the beaker at the end of the installation. Instantly the liquid changed color from blue to fuchsia, the petals dissolving into thin foam.

Tourmaline watched the concoction bubble for a moment more before turning off the flame underneath it and letting it cool off.

It will only be good for a couple of hours. Whatever happens, there is no turning back now. Oh, I really hope they do come tonight. I only have one shot at it.

She watched the liquid become still, her legs shaking slightly as her mind kept repeating what she had learned, what she managed to hear in the last couple of days. She felt her headache get worse and for a moment had to fight a sudden wave of nausea.

It’s just nerves, she repeated inside her head.

Unable to wait any longer, she sat down in front of the nightstand, grabbing the neck of the beaker between the frogs of her front hooves and pulling it to her lips. The concoction was still hot, it burned her tongue, a sweet and herbal taste spreading inside her mouth.

I wish I may, I wish I might...

Seconds passed and nothing happened. Then, gradually the pain disappeared and the filly blinked, surprised as her vision sharpened, matching her clearing mind. She could still feel all the emotions burning inside her, but they were no longer in turmoil. Instead, she was filled with an intense sense of purpose. She turned to look at her cutie mark, the green star now standing for so much more. She could almost see all the variables shifting around her, as her new instinct calculated the most straightforward route to her goal.

I will not fail.

***
"So, what do you think?" asked Obsidian looking at Twilight from the balcony overlooking the hangar.

The unicorn teleported up, appearing next to him, then looked down on the hangar, where Applejack was making a bad attempt at sneaking towards the cages. “I feel we still don’t know enough,” she said with exasperation. “I’ve been trying to formulate a plan, but there are so many variables we don’t know.” She turned, and looked at the stallion with worry. “Will you be able to recover in time for the fight?” she looked around nervously. “How much time have we spent here anyway?”

Obsidian chuckled. “Do not worry. I wouldn’t try to stall you past your window of opportunity. Like a dream that always ends just when you get to the best part, this vision will last exactly as long as it takes. Sadly for you, it will not hasten my recovery though. I can replenish my magic here at my leisure, but not my essence.”

Twilight looked at him with doubt, mulling over something silently. She carefully examined Obsidian, who was fully solid again, except for a slight blurring at the edges.

“And this look is what I really need to talk with you about, Twilight,” said Obsidian. “It won’t work like this.”

The unicorn looked at him in confusion. “What do you mean?”

“You don’t trust me,” said Obsidian. “It is wise of you, I told you that much myself. But we can’t work to our full potential as a team, if we aren’t, well, a team. And it will get worse. With the way things are, I’m sure I will be forced to do some things you won’t like, sooner or later.” He turned away from the hangar and stared straight in Twilight’s eyes. “I can’t do this alone. If I antagonise you any more than I already have... if I end up making you my enemies, I won’t be able to achieve what I’m fighting for. I know I can wait. I’ve examined my current form, and it won't age like you do. But if you lose, waiting for another chance, perhaps for centuries… it would drive me raving mad. I cannot afford to lose. I need your friendship to make it through this.”

“What,” said Twilight flatly, returning his stare.

Obsidian groaned. “You heard Pinkie Pie. I ‘suck at this friendship thing’. And I can’t afford to. We cannot afford it. You’re supposed to be an expert in friendship. Teach me what I need to know.”

“But you used to be an Element of Harmony,” said Twilight in disbelief. “You used to have friends.”

Obsidian nodded his head sadly. "Used to is the key word here. Where are they now? The world has changed. I have changed, almost beyond recognition. Yes, I used to have friends. But that was thousands of years ago, longer than most ponies can properly imagine."

“I don’t think it works like that,” said Twilight thoughtfully. “There is no mathematical formula for friendship I could give you. You just have to be a friend. I'm sure you still remember how that works. Help your friends when they need it. Be there for them. Be the kind of pony they like to spend time with… and really do mean it,” said Twilight, suddenly squinting at Obsidian. “If you’re not sincere about it, it will show sooner or later. And if you betray their trust, you will lose…”

“I get the point,” interrupted Obsidian. He looked around, then down the balcony, towards Pinkie Pie who was a few feet below it, inexplicably clinging to the wall with her hooves and for some reason looking disappointed. “It is time I showed some good will instead of being snarky. Nopony likes a smartass who isn’t helping.”

He disappeared in a flash, his spell taking him through the walls and into one of the side corridors, where Rainbow Dash was crawling along the floor, trying her best to move forward without making her hooves clink on the stone floor.

“So, what do you think?” asked Obsidian, waving his staff around for emphasis.

Dash rose to her full height, studying her hooves for a moment before abandoning what she was doing and rising into the air instead. The flapping of her wings actually made less noise. “There are three ways into this hangar, even if you say we shouldn’t teleport.” she said. “But I bet Celestia’s thought of something to make sure we won’t be able to get out that easily.”

Obsidian suppressed the urge to roll his eyes at the mare stating the obvious. Instead he nodded, looking around again. “Arrogance moved a lot of things through the floor to empty that hangar,” he said. “I also noticed her bringing some more machines in from the lower labs.”

His staff flashed and a picture appeared in front of him on the floor, a miniature of the level layout, with red outlines of boxy devices spread evenly through it.

“These are obviously a part of the trap,” continued Obsidian. “Most probably, they’re something similar to that device Twilight had gotten herself hooked into. If it is so, it is fortunate that Arrogance cares so much about appearances. It wouldn’t be impossible for her to sacrifice her current body just to get us, and blow up the whole lab while we’re inside.”

Silence fell, stretching for seconds until finally Rainbow Dash swallowed nervously. “Are you sure she won’t do it?”

Obsidian considered the question. “An explosion strong enough to kill us for sure would collapse the slope upon Canterlot. If Arrogance really buys into her own story of being the ponies’ hero, she won’t go that far. This also eliminates most poisons. Still, we do know it is a trap. I’ll examine the devices on my way in, and disable as many as I can. She’ll probably still spring the trap at us, but at least I should be able to prevent her from closing it.”

“So, you take those out while we take on Celestia?” said Rainbow, pointing her hoof at the miniature.

Obsidian nodded. “It is sad and dangerous that we have to divide our forces. I will join you as soon as I can.”

“Wait,” said Rainbow, ”shouldn’t you be telling that to everypony?”

“I’ve already discussed it with Twilight,” replied Obsidian. “She examined the devices, but I had no idea what they looked like inside when I constructed the dream, so she can’t tell what they do. I was just telling you this so you know that you’ll need to survive without me for a bit.”

The pegasus pouted. “Is this suppose to motivate me, or what? I know how dangerous this will be. I’m already doing my best.”

Obsidian stared at her. “You don’t, and your best won’t be enough. Which is why I’m going to help you.”

Rainbow Dash landed loudly, walking up to Obsidian and stopping mere inches from his face. “Then why don’t you show us? This place can conjure up anything, can’t it?”

Obsidian’s staff swatted her on the head, causing her to flinch and yelp. The stallion exhaled loudly. “I could. But you’re all in a hurry, and the Dissonance feels that. I couldn’t keep you here long enough to get good at fighting Arrogance. Not with the imperfect image of her I have right now.”

Rainbow Dash rubbed her head and looked at Obsidian angrily. “So, what do you want us to do? Go in there blind and lose?”

This time Obsidian did roll his eyes. “Of course not. I have been practicing with you, haven’t I? Those spikes and instant walls I used are among her favourite tricks. I’ve also showed Twilight and Pinkie how to handle gas and explosions. But that’s not enough…”

He suddenly stopped and stared forward, as if right through Rainbow Dash.

“I’m being a violent jerk again, aren’t I.”

Rainbow Dash snorted. “You’re always a violent jerk.”

Obsidian kept staring forward, somehow not meeting Rainbow’s gaze despite looking straight at her face. “This shouldn’t be happening. Even when I try to control it… I’ve actually came here to offer you help, not to talk down at you and hit you with a stick.”

Rainbow returned to the air, folding her front legs in front of herself. “Well, if that’s why you’re here, you’d better start helping.”

Obsidian’s gaze regained focus. “Don’t be snide with me or I will hit you again. Remember how I told you there was a trick I could teach you to make you better at fighting? While I don’t think you’re quite ready yet, your survival for the next day depends on it, so I will take the risk.”

This got Rainbow Dash’s attention. She lowered herself, looking at Obsidian curiously, though she still tried to keep her disdainful stance.

“Remember when you failed your test and fell into raw Dissonance?” asked Obsidian.

Rainbow Dash shuddered. “I don’t remember all that much…” she said quietly.

“That’s because Verba did a good job of purging the foreign memories from your mind,” said Obsidian. “Since they were a part of you for a moment, it obviously left some holes. Now, what if I said there was a way to benefit from such foreign memories in some way?”

Dash actually flapped a step back at that. “Wait, you wanna mess with my mind? I should’ve known it would be something creepy from you.”

Obsidian snorted. “What do you think I’m trying to do here? We’ve both seen the tree the Shattered constructed. I know full well that making you somepony you aren’t would only drive you insane. What I’m proposing is something much more subtle. Not without risks, of course, but then again there is a reason why it’s you I’m proposing this to.”

Rainbow Dash turned away, but didn’t fly any further. “You better start making sense quickly.”

“Even after a pony departs, and merges with Dissonance, all the things stay connected on one level or another,” said Obsidian. “It is possible to use some of these connections. Like your Element, for example. For centuries it was worn by bearers who proved themselves worthy, many of them valiant warriors.”

Rainbow Dash’s ear twitched. Obsidian smiled.

“Of course I wouldn’t put their life stories inside your head, even if I could recover big enough chunks. But they put their hearts and souls into their most important fights. Their muscle memory should be pretty well imprinted on your focus.”

That made Rainbow Dash turn around. “So, you could make me fight like they fought? Are you sure it’s safe?”

“If I were sure it is safe, I would have offered it to all of you, don’t you think?” said Obsidian. “There will be some strong emotions involved. And since the bearers of Loyalty shared some traits, those emotions might feel very much like your own. You will change, perhaps just a bit, perhaps more. There should be no violent clash like the last time, but at the same time, it will be harder for you to tell where they end and you begin.”

“So, what you’re saying…” said Rainbow Dash, “is I will no longer be myself?”

“Hopefully it won’t go that far,” said Obsidian. “I’ve decided to take this risk with you because you have a strong conviction, even if you aren’t as instinctively adept at controlling your mind as Twilight is. Of course you will change, but don’t you change every day? Are you the same pony you were before meeting me?”

Dash hesitated. “Well, of course not… I mean I am, but… I kind of get what you’re trying to say here.”

“The choice is up to you, of course,” said Obsidian. “I won’t force it on you. Or even guilt trip you into it. I’ll just ask you to trust me for once. I think this is what you need.”

Rainbow Dash landed and folded her wings. Taking a couple purposeful steps towards Obsidian, she stopped at leg’s reach from the stallion, not even giving attention to the fact that she was now back within reach of his staff.

“Do it,” she said.

Obsidian nodded. “We can start right away. Just focus on Loyalty and I will help you direct the spell.”

Rainbow Dash raised an eyebrow. “You knew all along I would say yes, didn’t you?”

Obsidian nodded again. “You are willing to take risks for your friends. Your test showed me that much.”

Rainbow Dash grinned, a not entirely honest smile. “Hey, it’s not like there is really any risk. I’m too awesome to go crazy.”

***

Bluebonnet shook her head, trying to wake herself up. She leaned over the cluttered table, reaching between the pieces of machinery and grabbing the edge of the coffee mug with her teeth. She tilted her head back and shuddered when the liquid flowing down her throat turned out to be cold.

How long have I been here? she asked herself. I should just go to sleep and finish this tomorrow.

She looked at the table again, the device in front of her almost finished.

There is something still missing. I-

She fought a growing yawn. I should continue when I can think clearly. But her Majesty…

The thought made Bluebonnet shake off her tiredness. Since the incident, her Majesty had probably slept even less than her.. The earth pony had spent years working for the Princess of the Sun, ever since a mysterious turn of events got her in touch with Dr Stone, finding her the best place in Equestria to use her special talent, and turning her life around on its darkest day.

Through the years she got to see a lot of secrets of Equestria, perhaps more than anypony but Dr Stone and Celestia herself. She had seen the face of the princess that none of the pompous nobles in the castle above ever had. Serious, worried, making hard decisions that would always be kept secret for the good of Equestria. Associating with creatures the likes of Enigma, and lately, Lightbringer.

But she had never seen her the way she was over the last couple of days. Her Majesty was full of determination, perhaps more than ever. She was burning with anger, visible through the cracks in her facade, even when she passed through the labs to encourage her servants with a kind word. But most importantly, was it fear Bluebonnet could see, deep in the Princess’ eyes?

If it’s that bad, thought Bluebonnet, then I cannot fail. I cannot fail her. She saved Tourmaline’s life.

She looked aside towards the empty work bench where her daughter had worked. The filly excused herself, and went to sleep hours before, taking most of her work to her bedroom. Bluebonnet was surprised to notice that the girl even took her flower with her.

I didn’t notice. Why did she do that? I was too busy to realise. I’ll ask her tomorrow.

She looked around the lab again, trying in vain to focus.

I need another coffee.

She slowly walked towards the large machine in the corner. She pressed a lever with her hoof, and the device sputtered to life.

I need to find more time for Tourmaline. I work so hard, even if it’s all for her…

Bluebonnet smiled. She helped me so much today, but it’s hardly ‘family time’. A filly her age shouldn’t spend all her days in a lab.

Her face got serious, the smile gone as if blown away..

And now her friends are missing. This is not fair.

She sighed, putting the mug in its spot under the machine.

I’ll try to make it up to her somehow. Find more time to spend together. We should go to the park, just the two of us, perhaps an orchard-

“You should be asleep, you know.” called a stern, female voice behind her back.

Bluebonnet jumped with a yelp, nearly dropping her fresh mug of coffee. Regaining her balance, she carefully put the hot beverage on the nearest table and turned around to face her immediate superior.

“Dr.Stone? I didn’t know you were awake. Or are you…” Bluebonnet hesitated… “a construct?”

“It is me,” said Dr.Stone, a small smile appearing in the corner of her mouth. “I just needed to make sure about some details for tonight. And as for you, you really must go to sleep now.”

Bluebonnet looked from Dr.Stone, to her mug, to the main work table. “But, the emitter… the Princess…”

Dr.Stone walked closer, putting a hoof on her shoulder. “Her Majesty already has all the devices she needs for whatever she’s planning. The matter might be resolved by tomorrow. And if it isn’t, you’ll do a better job if you get some sleep first. We’re not in that much of a hurry.”

Bluebonnet relaxed with a sigh. “You’re right. I should get some sleep. Perhaps see how my daughter is doing.”

“She went to sleep hours ago,” said Dr.Stone. “As you should have. Come on, tomorrow is another day. You will have your chance to do some good work yet.”

Bluebonnet cast the last gaze towards her coffee mug and then started walking slowly towards the door. “You know, doctor, sometimes I just feel no matter how much I do, it’s somehow not enough.”

Dr.Stone followed her to the door. “Don’t blame yourself, my dear. I’m sure you’ve done all you could have.”

***

"Do you have enough?" asked Obsidian, a gust of wind clearing the swirling dust from the air. The magic he had borrowed from the Void Passage made his voice reverberate across the hangar. He looked down, beating his huge black wings slowly.

“I can still fight,” answered Dash crouched low opposite the stallion, ready to pounce again, strands of red light from her necklace wrapping around her, trying to once again form a spectral armor.

“You can,” said Obsidian, looming over her, his voice returning to normal as the shadow alicorn form unravelled, lowering him to the ground, “but that’s not important anymore. The fight has lasted long enough.” He turned towards Twilight, who was catching her breath in the corner to his left. “Three simulated battles completed. What have we learned?”

The rest of the Elements walked towards the center of the hangar, mentally healing their injuries.

“We need to win as quickly as possible,” started Twilight. “If we don’t, the other Shattered will show up. Our best chance is to combine our powers and seal… princess Celestia… before she even knows we’re there.”

“We need the Element of Surprise!” piped in Pinkie Pie. She hid behind Fluttershy and emerged in a complete spy outfit.

“Anything else?” said Obsidian with a sigh.

“We can’t let her divide us.” said Rarity. “We’re a matching set for a reason. Even with Dash and Applejack rushing forward, we need to stay close enough that Twilight and Pinkie can protect us with their magic.”

Obsidian nodded. “You’re learning fast. Either I’m a good teacher, or pain is.”

The unicorn huffed. “I’m just doing my best. We all know how much depends on us.”

“I wish there was another way to do it,” said Fluttershy quietly.

“If you do find another way, feel free to tell us,” said Obsidian. “I’d actually prefer a less suicidal plan than this.” Giving Fluttershy a sad smile and a nod, he looked around the group again. “Anything else?”

“Well, we need to be careful not to hit that part of the room,” said Dash, pointing at the cages. “If we are to save all those ponies, we can’t let them get hurt in the fight.”

“Yes, and that’s a serious concern,” agreed Obsidian. “It’s a part of why this fight is going to be so difficult for you. Otherwise we could just blow up the balcony from the other side of the wall and seal Arrogance while she recovers.”

“Do we have a plan for getting everypony out?” asked Applejack. “It’s not enough that we just win a fight. We also need to rescue our families from there.”

“When Obsidian turned you into birds, his staff retained the template,” replied Twilight. “He’ll be able to change everypony into smaller forms that we can easily take with us.”

“This is all fine and good,” said Rarity, “but there is something else that bothers me. You said they might have had some falling out with that ‘Guilt’ fellow. But what if it’s a ruse? If his powers are to move instantly from place to place, they might all be here the moment the alarm is sounded.”

“That’s right,” said Dash. “You said we can’t fight all of them at once.”

“And that doesn’t even take into account any other allies Arrogance might have prepared for this battle,” said Obsidian. “If you’re to survive the night, we need to plan around it.”

“We could make some sort of a diversion elsewhere,” said Twilight. “Something to keep at least princess Luna busy.”

Obsidian grinned. “Something that could attract the attention of the Shattered, powerful enough to keep them busy at least for a while while we execute our plan.” he looked around the gathered mares. “Now, that would be a dream come true, wouldn’t it?”

Applejack raised an eyebrow.”Just what are you thinking about, mister?”

Obsidian turned around and walked purposefully towards the cages, where nine ponies were fast asleep, snoring softly despite all the ruckus that had taken place there a moment before. “Do you know what these are?”

Twilight approached the cages curiously. “I thought they were just illusions, made of our memories.”

“Well, they are,” said Obsidian. “But so is almost everything here and you all have seen how real they can be. Have you ever heard of chimeras?”

“Well, shush, I couldn’t do my deliveries if I didn’t,” said Applejack. “But what does it have to do with these?” she asked, looking askance at a perfect doppelganger of her brother, sleeping in a cage.

“I don’t mean the three-headed beast,” said Obsidian, “but the notion is obviously related. You see, Dissonance is primal chaos. As such, it can’t be homogenous. There are… clumps. Bits of minds that haven’t fully dissolved, memories or emotions that go together. Most of them disappear quickly, but sometimes they end up gaining something to keep them stable. Often that thing is a name, giving the thing enough of a sense of self to persist even as it is ever changing from whatever Dissonance throws at it. Like the chimeras you know, they are just bundles of mismatched pieces.

“Huh? That reminds me of Discord,” said Pinkie Pie, scratching her chin with a hoof.

“If he’s a chimera, he’d be an incredibly powerful one,” said Obsidian. “Most of them can’t amount to much more than a vivid dream, or a nightmare. It is actually an overstatement to call them creatures. Then again, it is not impossible. Dissonance has surely created weirder things than that.”

“So, you say these things can help us?” said Applejack.

Obsidian nodded. His staff tapped on the ground and the ponies in cages stirred. As they rose to standing positions, their coats flaked away into nothing, leaving only outlines of pure blackness.

“These chimeras are a bit unusual,” said Obsidian, as the silhouettes oozed through the bars of the cages and formed a rank in front of him. “They have been formed by the Void Passage itself, designed to act as antagonists in the test scenarios. They are a part of this place, and this means we know exactly what they’re made of. We can redesign them to serve whatever purpose is needed. If a distraction is required, they fit our needs perfectly. They will be able to take whatever form we need of them, and they can hold their own for some time. Most importantly, you won’t have to sacrifice any actual ponies to buy you time. Believe me, this is a luxury few of your predecessors could afford.”

“It still doesn’t feel quite right…” said Fluttershy with hesitation. “what happens to them when they…?”

“To die, one first has to live,” said Obsidian. “The spell that makes them be will be broken, and the Void Passage will form new ones over time. For them it will be no different than ending a test.”

He gestured towards one of the shapes. The shadow pony slithered towards Fluttershy and stopped opposite her. Suddenly its surface rippled and fresh fur sprouted out of it. Within seconds, a perfect clone of Fluttershy was looking at her timidly from under the pink mane.

“See, when chimeras transform,” explained Obsidian, “they don’t just mime the appearance like changelings do. They incorporate the memories that define their form, truly becoming the mask they wear. Right now, this chimera is Fluttershy, as far as the Void Passage can understand it. Now, if it were to transform again…”

The copy Fluttershy mumbled a goodbye and then melted away, the butter yellow coat replaced with rough, brown feathers. Gilda towered over the real Fluttershy with a menacing smirk.

“... the previous role will be gone, replaced by a new one. The feelings that form its personality will be very real, but none of them really belong to it. It is like a coat hanger we hang different costumes on.”

“Hey, that’s a mean way to say that,” said Gilda before dissolving again, the shadow form retreating back into the rank.

“Well, it is true,” said Obsidian. “That’s how you make advanced illusions too.”

“This is like a more advanced way of how Nightmare Moon created her Shadowbolts,” said Twilight Sparkle.

“I believe so,” said Obsidian. “With you being both here and in the Crystal Tower, the Elements will be able to open the way for them and provide them with enough magic to resist the push of reality until their job is done. Now we just need to decide what roles do we want them to play.”

“This is fascinating,” said Twilight Sparkle, “in a… little bit creepy way. Have you ever done this before?”

Obsidian smiled. “No. After all the centuries of using the Void Passage, It only occurred to me today. It’s wonderful how many new ideas you can come up with once you stop obsessing over being trapped in a cage.”

***

Pierce held his breath, and listened intently.. There was no mistake. Somewhere in the corridors, somepony was moving, trying to make as little noise on the stone floor as possible.

The unicorn lit up his horn, pulling a pair of needles from under his coat.

Nopony’s supposed to be in this section. Dr Stone and Bluebonnet are asleep. I don’t think we have any constructs there. Nopony else would care about the noise… Looks like we have an intruder. But why aren’t the alarms reacting?

He passed an alcove where an animated armor was standing guard, the blue pinpricks of light in its eye slits indicating passive guard mode. He listened closely and caught, once again, the sound of shuffling hooves.

I can do it better, he thought, putting the needles away for a moment to cast a different spell. A soft glow covered his hooves, muffling the sound of his steps. Pierce moved forward, taking a turn into a different tunnel, one that he knew would bring him into a position to ambush the intruder.

Half a minute later, Pierce stopped at the edge of a corridor crossing. He knew the shadow would not betray his position - the dim light balls along the ceiling provided clear, but very even illumination, casting no silhouettes on the floor. The stallion drew his needles again, careful to make the glow of his horn as soft as possible.

Any moment now…

The steps approached. Pierce held his breath and waited. He finally saw a pony emerge from behind the corner.
The needles froze, stopped at the last moment. Pierce released his breath in a sharp gasp, causing the other pony to make a startled gasp of her own.

“Tourmaline?! What are you doing here at this hour?” he hissed through clenched teeth. “I almost shot you.”

The filly looked him in the eyes. For a second she looked scared, but then calmed down immediately.

“I couldn’t sleep. I can’t go outside right now, so I took a walk here.”

Pierce huffed through his nostrils. The filly was wearing her protective goggles and one of her toolbelts.

“In a restricted area? I may not be one of you science ponies, but I’m not an idiot, miss. You’ve bypassed the security systems. Just what are you up to, Tourmaline?”

Tourmaline sighed. “I was looking for Scootaloo. I haven’t seen her for days, and mom wouldn’t tell me anything, so I decided to find her and see if she’s okay.”

Pierce relaxed, the needles returning into the holsters inside his coat. “Your friend isn’t here. Dr Stone has decided that she can’t let her memories accumulate, so she’s sedating her until Princess Luna has the time to make her forget all about this place. You won’t be able to talk to her until all of this is over.”

Tourmaline closed her eyes and for a moment mulled over something in silence. When she opened her eyes again, she had a pleading expression. “In that case, could you please take a gift from me for her? I’d like her to get it when she wakes up.”

“If she’s going to forget all this, I don’t think it’s wise,” said Pierce. “What would it be?”

Tourmaline looked up at her forehead.

“I’d like her to have my goggles. They’re better than the ones she’s using and I know she always wanted to have ones like mine, but I’ve always had other things to tinker with and-”

Tourmaline stopped, surprised. She looked at Pierce nervously.

The unicorn was standing there, as if frozen in place, staring at the mint-green filly in front of him with an expression of utter, paralysing horror.

PreviousChapters Next