• Published 8th Aug 2012
  • 1,179 Views, 11 Comments

Brothers to the end - gingercolt



Mark awakens in Equestria, wounded, with his brother gone. will he ever see him again alive?

  • ...
4
 11
 1,179

CHAPTER 6: TO THE END

Throughout my entire life, I had believed James would always be the one looking out for me; it had never occurred one day it would be the opposite. I had never contemplated life without him, I don’t think I could. But if I don’t find him soon, my worst nightmare will become reality.

Standing outside the Everfree forest with the crisp cold wind blowing in my face, I feel like a squad commander. Twilights help could not have been better. She had enlisted the help of the entire mane 6 to assist in the search, each with a special talent. Once they had heard from Twilight that we were going to be searching for my brother, they couldn’t refuse, considering most of them have family too. I have set everyone in a formation, one I came up with while Twilight was getting the help. I have two Pegasus’s, Fluttershy and Rainbow, who will prove invaluable. They can scout ahead in the sky to see if they can pick up any sign of life. Fluttershy seems more reluctant, considering her fears, but seems happier that she will have Rainbow by her side. Rarity and Twilight are unicorns, who have the magic to see heat signatures, like thermal vision. I can’t help but think of the movie ‘Predator’. They will scout slightly ahead, to see if they pick anything up. Applejack and Pinkie Pie will accompany me on the ground, since they know the area better than me. Pinkie Pie seems to have calmed down and actually turned serious! Lastly, Princess Celestia said she will wait outside, since she is forbidden to enter the forest, probably some ancient law. She says that the signal is now extremely weak and can barely feel it. We have to do this now, I can’t lose him now, and not after all I’ve been through.

As if sensing the urgency, Rainbow and Fluttershy enter the skies of the forest, slow enough however so Fluttershy can keep up. Next is Twilight and Rarity, their horns glowing brightly as they enter Everfree. Rarity is wearing what looks like a fancy scarf, is this an outing for her? Lastly, me, Applejack and Pinkie, I swallow, hard as we enter the dark abyss, memories flooding back to me of pain and despair, I shiver at the thought.

It’s already getting dark by the time we’re deep inside the forest, but I don’t falter. We haven’t heard word from Rainbow and Fluttershy, and we can still see Rarity and Twilight up ahead, horns acting double as torches to lead the way. Applejack and Pinkie ask me questions about my brother, Applejack more than Pinkie, considering she has Big Mac. Answer most questions fully, about how he always looked out for me and we watched each other’s backs. Some questions leave me in a cold stare, like what my family were like. James is the only family I care about, but I don’t tell them that.



We must have been out here for hours now, considering the moon is now directly above us. I can see that both Applejack and Pinkie are getting tired, I tell them that they can turn back, I don’t mind going at it myself, I’ll go all night if I have to! They decline, saying that they won’t give up if it’s family at stake. I’m glad that their willing, I don’t want to feel like I’m pushing them. However, after they reported nothing, I wanted to send Rainbow and Fluttershy back, since they won’t be able to see anything in this light, but they want to continue with us, so they walk with me, Applejack and Pinkie. Rarity and Twilight are still hard at it, but I can see their pace slowing. I really am getting scared now, if James’s signal was weak before, what is it now? The wind is like ice to my skin, yeah Rarity finished my clothes, which included a jacket, but it’s still freezing. How do these ponies cope!

It must have been early morning, around 2:00 when I heard the shout. We were all extremely tired, and even I was considering giving up, when Twilight yelled at us to come see something. I rushed through the trees, crashing into branches and even cutting my hands as I went, sweat poured down my face, I didn’t care. But when I reached the two unicorns and stared at what they were in turn were locked in gaze with, I stopped dead. My heart began racing, my legs began to give way, I didn’t fight it, and I collapsed to my knees. There, mere inches from me, was James. He had a small cut on his head and his leg looked broken in several places. I couldn’t see below his neck, since he had wrapped himself in leaves, to act as a makeshift blanket. There didn’t seem to be any disturbance around him, much like me, but he wouldn’t be able to move anyway, with his leg broken like that. I stared at him further, his face was as white as a ghost, his arms lay stiffly by his side, his eyes were locked shut as they are in a dead sleep, and he wasn’t breathing.

“James….?” I said softly, reaching out to touch him, hold him. He didn’t respond. By this time, the others had gathered around, nothing was said. “James?” I said louder, tears welling up in my eyes, still nothing. My life had been ripped apart, my guardian angel, my best friend, my brother, lay unmoving in front of me. Then I lost it. “JAMES!!! WAKE UP, PLEASE DONT LEAVE ME, don’t leave me, I need you, I love you, please wake up, brothers to the end remember??!!” I hugged him with all my might, locked in an unbreakable embrace, and I cried. The realisation had hit hard, he was gone, and there was no bringing him back. After a while, Fluttershy came up to me, just like before in hospital when I cried, she said nothing, just hugged me.

On the way out of the forest, nothing was said, nothing needed to be said. I carried James in my arms; he was so cold, stuck in the sleep of the dead. The others followed behind me, I could hear slight weeping behind me, I guess death is an uncommon occurrence, especially seeing it happen up close. I couldn’t cry any more, there was no fluid left in me. On the walk back I reminisced of the good times, going to football matches, movies, parties. We did everything together; we were two parts of the same person. But that’s all changed now; I’m on my own now.

When we reach the border of the forest, I’m surprised to see Celestia waiting for us. She looks at me, asking the inevitable question just with her facial expression, the cold, empty stare I give back is answer enough for her. I say nothing, just walk up to her, and place James at her feet; “He didn’t make it.” is all I say. I can’t bear it anymore, I just can’t, it’s too much. I break down, fall to the ground and pass out from the shock.