• Published 8th Aug 2012
  • 1,178 Views, 11 Comments

Brothers to the end - gingercolt



Mark awakens in Equestria, wounded, with his brother gone. will he ever see him again alive?

  • ...
4
 11
 1,178

CHAPTER 4: SOUTHERN HOSPITALITY

On the walk from Twilights library to sweet apple acres, I’ve really come to like Applejack. She’s funny, eager to know everything about me, but best of all, she’s treating me like she’s known me since birth. why are they all so quick to take me in, maybe because i'm the first human they've ever seen and dont want to mess anything up. I already feel like I can tell her anything, yeah quick, I know. The thing is though, to put it simple, I feel easy around her. She’s been telling me about her family back at the farm, her Grandma, Granny Smith (I wonder if she had that name before she had grandchildren) her little sister Applebloom and her big brother Big Macintosh or Big Mac for short. I in turn tell her about where I come from, Manhattan. Now that surprises her, because apparently there’s a city nearby called Manehattan, this world might be more similar then I thought. I still dont want to tell her about James though, i'd rather bite that bullet myself.

There’s one thing that I’ve identified that’s definitely different here, food. I don’t know how I didn’t make the connection before, ponies are herbivores, and they don’t eat meat, so why should things be different here? When I was in hospital, I was so weak at first I got fed through a tube, but as I recovered, I was fed various fruits and vegetables. I thought this was because they were healthy, but it’s because there is no meat. However, Applejack tells me that there are still cows and pigs, but apparently they can talk as well, so eating them would sort of be murder. I don’t mind though, I never really loved meat back home anyway; I think I can get by.

Another thing I found out is that there are various types of animals here that you wouldn’t find at home. And by the way Applejack describes them, they don’t sound too friendly. The weirdest thing is, most of them inhabit the Everfree Forest, so it’s a miracle I didn’t see any, I wasn’t exactly in the best shape to fight them off.

By the time we reach the farm, the moon is already high in the sky. The farm alone is huge; we have to walk for a further few minutes before we actually reach the house. The whole of Applejacks family must be already in bed, since no lights are on, but she’s says that she’ll introduce me at breakfast tomorrow, so she’ll come and get me in the morning. The house itself is pretty big, and seems to have all the rooms a normal house would, bathroom, living room, dining room, kitchen etc. so after giving me a small tour, we both ascend the stairs and she shows me to the spare room and bids me goodnight in that lovely southern accent of hers. I can’t thank her enough for all her hospitality, but right now I can’t even move let alone talk I’m so tired. With that said, I clamber into the soft, plush bed and drift off into a dead sleep.


I awaken to the smell of what cannot be mistaken as apple pie. I remember, going to McDonalds for apple pie, sure it would burn my mouth, but I loved them none the less. But this smell is different, sweeter. I rise to my feet and walk to the window to survey the scene outside, it looks like something out of a postcard. Endless fields of red apple trees as far as the eye can see. Also, I think I can see Applejacks brother down below, now; his name fits him, Big Mac. He looks almost double the size of Applejack. He seems to be kicking, or I think my cousin used to call it bucking, the apple trees and then collecting them. He must be getting them for breakfast. BREAKFAST. Applejacks going to be getting me soon! I better make myself look presentable! I run to the bathroom and immediately wet my hair and try and style it into something decent. I manage to get my face washed so I don’t look half asleep, and then I get back into my room. Just in time too, because no more than 30 seconds later, Applejack arrives.

“Y’all ready Mark; I got some people who are dying to meet you. And dont worry i've explained what you are, so just be yourself.” She asks me enthusiastically.

“I'm as ready as I’ll ever be.” I reply, still yawning.

You know that feeling when you have a big event coming up, and you don’t worry about it, but when it comes, you get really nervous? Yeah, that’s how I feel right now; I was fine with meeting her family last night, now I’m really nervous. What if they don’t like me? I feel like a boy meeting his girlfriend’s parents for the first time. I finally pluck up the courage to exit the room, closing the door behind me, and follow Applejack downstairs.

We move into the kitchen where Granny Smith is cooking, and Applebloom is sitting at the table, eagerly awaiting breakfast. Big Mac must still be outside.

“Granny, Applebloom, this is Mark, he’s from… out of town and he sort of, arrived in Ponyville a few days ago.” Applejack introduces me.” I let him stay the night since he aint got nowhere to go right now.” With that she goes outside to get Big Mac.

Granny Smith is the first to talk “well what are ya just standing there for? Sit down, make yourself at home.” She tells me in a cheery tone. She then goes back to her cooking. Now I would never expect that to happen, actually, a lot of things I haven’t expected have occurred recently. Still, i'm being welcomed by everyone, maybe this wont be too bad after all.

I thank Granny Smith and sit down opposite Applebloom, she stares at me for a while, and I uneasily smile back at her.
“Whoa, I’ve never seen anything like you before.” She exclaims.

I smile at her when I say “well, I have all morning to explain myself to you.”