• Published 19th Feb 2019
  • 1,875 Views, 46 Comments

Suddenly, Fluttershy - Nehem



What happens when you suddenly have to help a pony that no one can know about?

  • ...
6
 46
 1,875

Chapter 6 - Start The Day

You walk back to the table, feeling a bit more relaxed now that you and Fluttershy have gotten to know one another a bit better. Despite your repeatedly interrupted sleep the previous night, you find that you have a bit of a spring to your step as you walk back over to the table where the diminutive horse sits. Now that the pleasantries are out of the way, you might as well begin brainstorming ideas as to how to fix this predicament.

“So…” you begin, not really knowing how to segue into this topic “You got any ideas how to get back home?”

Fluttershy looks thoughtful at your question, fiddling with one of the table mats. Half a minute passes and you join her in her contemplation. For what feels like a long time, silence reigns as the both of you mull over the situation. Finally, the lack of sound is broken by the already familiar gentle sound of Fluttershy’s voice.

“I really don’t know. It’s still all so much to take in..." she says, still trying to think of a solution.

That is most certainly not a lie. Right now, it’s hard to even think of where to begin finding answers. It’s not like you can just go to google and ask “What to do when a dimensional traveler shows up in your house” and get an easy solution. At least, you don’t think that there would be any answers there. You make a mental note to consult Google later.

...Perhaps modern technology is beginning to spoil you just a bit.

A sigh escapes your mouth, making your feelings on the matter evident. “Yeah, I’m at a loss, too. Right now, the only thing I can think of is to just wing it. You showing up here like you did is probably one of the biggest events that could change the way we think about the universe right now. Something tells me that something else is bound to happen.”

As you finish voicing your thoughts, you feel a small burst of air brush against your face. Turning your head in the direction that it came from, you see the source of the anomaly. Fluttershy is lightly lowering herself to the floor, beating her wings slowly as she does. She looks at you after landing, a slight look of uncertainty still plastered on her face.

“Maybe you’re right. I did just get here. We don’t really know what is happening right now, so I guess we could go with your plan for now.” The pegasus tentatively agrees.

You feel a slight pang of guilt over your “plan”. Even though you tried your best, it still feels like you are just taking the easy way out. It seems like there should be some way of finding a way to fix this.

Another sigh passes through your lips. Why couldn’t you have had Twilight crash through your window? At least she can control magic. This would probably be over in a few days. You shake your head and push the bitter thoughts out of your mind. Nothing will get done if you keep thinking like that.

Without much else to say, you lean on the windowsill and gaze out at the snow blanketing your yard. The scene outside along with the steadily dropping heat in the kitchen reminds you of the broken window in your other room. It might be a good idea to start mentally mapping out what you have to do today.

The window is an obvious priority. It’s also time to go grocery shopping again, which is already bothersome enough. Finally, you need to keep an eye out for any info about what’s happened today. Groceries should be quick and easy. You just hope that the window can be repaired quickly without much hassle. As for getting Fluttershy back home… You still don’t know.

Might as well get started. You already know what you want to buy at the store, but now you have two mouths to feed. The fact that one mouth only eats vegetables and hay doesn’t help much. You walk over to a nearby drawer and fish out a small notepad along with a pen and rip off the top page.

You return to Fluttershy, who is currently hovering in front of the window you were previously looking through. “Hey,” you say, grabbing her attention, “I need to buy some food today. I’m not entirely sure what your diet consists of, so I thought you could write down a few things you might like.” You finish by placing the pen and paper on the nearby table.

“Oh, okay…” she responds in her usual coy demeanor. “I really don’t need much though, I’m sure that what you get will be fine.” Fluttershy insists.

Shrugging your shoulders, you start towards your room. “Don’t worry about it. Just write down whatever you want, it won’t bother me. Besides, I have a feeling that you wouldn’t like a good portion of an omnivore’s diet. So I insist, go for it.”

You give her no time to protest as you promptly exit the kitchen and start the cold journey back to your room. How you failed to notice the drop in temperature, you’ll never know. The walk back feels like it takes forever, yet in reality lasts less than a minute.

For once in your life, you’re glad that you don’t live in a mansion.

Keeping up your quick, chill fueled movements, you pull out some clothes that will be appropriate for the day from your closet. Up to this point, you’ve only been in a T-shirt and a pair of underwear. Thinking back on it, this isn’t really the most appropriate attire to have worn while eating breakfast with a female that you have only just met.

Thank whatever higher power that may or may not exist for the species gap.

Once you are dressed, you grab your wallet and keys. While gathering those last few objects, a thought hits you. Like most living things, you’re pretty sure the temptation to go outside is going to hit Fluttershy at some point, and you don’t have a plan to tell her to stay out of the public eye. Sure, all the people that live near here are really nice and wouldn’t hold any ill will towards the unusual being, but if word gets out that there’s a talking horse in your house…

Whether it’s because of the thought or the cold, you shiver slightly. There are way too many possible outcomes to letting Fluttershy’s presence be known. What if that forum thread turns out to be the reason for all of this happening? She could just end up poofing away and end up back home safe and sound. On the other hand, the description was so vague; if she’s seen, it’s also possible that creepy-ass shadows will appear and drag her kicking and screaming into some hell dimension.

Okay, maybe Hollywood has tainted your brain a bit, but you never know. Thankfully the winter weather will most likely kill any desire to go outside for at least a few days, so maybe for right now, you’ll just try to explain your reasoning to the best of your ability. Honesty is the best policy, after all.

Passing through the living room this time, you get a better view of the damage, along with the massive pile of snow at it’s base. Guess you’ll have to take care of this before leaving…

It takes about fifteen or twenty minutes to clear out the mess from your house. At least it isn’t snowing anymore, that would have made things a lot harder to fix. You return to the kitchen, noticing that Fluttershy is no longer there. On the table, you spot the paper, now with a few scratches of writing on it. Taking the notepad, you rip off the top sheet before folding it up and sticking it in your pocket.

You look around, noticing that the yellow pegasus has disappeared from the kitchen.

Oh shit. You were way more focused on cleaning up the mess than you were with what she was doing. Your heartbeat picks up slightly as you start to think about where she could have gone. There are only two traditional ways in and out of the house, and they are both within view of where you were when cleaning up the snow.

Because of that, there’s not much of a chance of her having gone outside. That thought is enough to calm you down. Unless she opened a window somewhere, she’ll still be here. As it turns out, your worries were not necessary; as when you turn around to start searching, you spot Fluttershy standing in your small rec room. It doesn’t have a lot inside of it, Just a couch, a desk, and a television, which she is staring at curiously.

You breathe a sigh of relief, thankful that she hasn’t wondered out into the world. As tempted as you are to startle her out of her concentration, you decide against it and hope that the easily audible sound of your footsteps against the tiled kitchen floor is enough to alert her to your arrival. Just as you guessed, she turns her head slightly to regard you.

“That’s a television. We use it to watch all sorts of shows and such.”

She cocks her head back over to the dark screen positioned in the corner of the room. “Watch shows? Do you mean like movies?”

They have movies in Equestria? Thinking back on it, there was one during one of the songs, but who knows what’s actually going on when those are happening.

“Yeah, pretty much. Only the screen is solid and isn’t being projected onto a surface.”

You know, there might be an idea hatching here. Grabbing the remote from your desk, you press the power button and activate the device. After a bit, the screen pops in, the last channel you were on filling the screen.

“Here,” You crouch down and put the remote at her hooves. “Press this button right here to switch what you are watching. What you are seeing is based on the channel number you are on. The one pointing up increases the channel number, the one going down decreases it. If the pictures stop showing, go to a different channel number.”

Pointing at a set of similar buttons, you explain further. “These control the volume of the television. Up makes it louder, down makes it softer.”

Some time later, once you’re sure she has the hang of it, you decide to talk to her about one of your earlier worries. “Hey, Fluttershy? I thought I’d better talk about this before I go for a bit.”

The mare looks at you, a small bit of concern on her face.

“Oh, what is it Anon?”

For a moment, you pause. You can’t help but feel that you’re being overprotective. Truthfully, you don’t know what will happen if she is seen. She is an adult though, and can make her own decisions. All you want to do is help, so even if it makes you uncomfortable, the most you can do is share your point of view on the matter.

“I don’t really know how to put this without making it sound like I’m trying to scare you, but I want to warn you just in case. I don’t know how people will react to seeing you. There are plenty of us who would be just like me and want to help you, while at the same time, others won’t be as generous.”

The concern on Fluttershy’s face only grows as you continue.

“I don’t know what some of the less friendly people would do. If my government or any scientists found out about a new sapient species with their own world separate from ours, then I have no clue what could happen next. For all I know, things could go better than I’d expect. On the other hand…”

Unpleasant thoughts run through your mind. Images operating tables restraining ponies awaiting dissection and human soldiers and tanks flooding through a portal into Equestria surface into the forefront of your thoughts. Sure, they might be a bit ridiculous, but judging by the path society has taken in the past few years, ridiculous seems to be the norm.

The now uneasy mare remains quiet, so you bury the thoughts and finish your warning.

“Just… be careful if you decide to leave, okay? I’m sorry if I’ve scared you.”

After another uncomfortable moment of silence, Fluttershy responds, still obviously a bit more fearful of the world around her.

“It’s okay. I… think I understand. I’m actually kind of afraid to see what’s out there, anyway. It’s also really cold right now.”

You manage a small smile. “Yeah, I’m not a fan of weather like this.”

Having gotten that out of the way, you pick up the TV remote once more and change the channel on the TV. The screen starts displaying a group of elephants going about their business. It seems to be a nature documentary of some kind. Unsurprisingly, it catches Fluttershy’s attention almost immediately. Seeing her perk up and take interest in something that she likes serves to improve your mood after the difficult talk you just had.

You tell her that you’ll be going out to the store for a bit and head out to your car. The cold air stings your face as you walk into your garage and climb into the parked vehicle.You buckle up, slide the key into the ignition, and twist. The engine roars to life and you back out, the loud noise of the vehicle tearing through the structure.

One day, you really should get that muffler fixed...

Author's Note:

So yeah, it took me two months to do this. I got no excuses, aside from disliking everything that I tend to type. I was only expecting to add in a few words and remove the greentext formatting, but as I read over everything, I find myself wanting to change everything more and more. Guess I'll see you all again in a few months. 👌