• Published 20th Mar 2019
  • 462 Views, 24 Comments

Strong Talons - Ambizar



Gaius Strongtalon has loved hoofball from a young age, and now he has the chance to go pro. He may be the only griffon on the team wherever he lands, but he plans to do what he's always done: tackle it all in style.

  • ...
0
 24
 462

Chapter 2: EHL Draft

"Good evening all you radioheads out there, this is Scout Combine and Perfect Catch..."

"And welcome to 'Tonight in Hoofball', the premiere EHL analysis broadcast, live from the big city of Manehattan!"

"And you know what time it is, don't you, Catch?"

"Oh, I do! It's Draft time!"

"My second-favorite time of the year, right behind Playoff season. A lot is going to happen tonight, Catch, so let's start with some last-minute evaluation for some of the talent on display waiting for their shot in Baltimare tonight."

"Speaking of Baltimare, we would like to take this moment to thank the Silver Horseshoe Hotel by Baltimare Harbor on behalf of the Equestrian Hoofball League for accommodating this year's Draft prospects! But speaking of prospects, where should we start?"

"Quarterbucks are always big talk on Draft day, but I'm thinking we go against the grain and start with wide receivers, Catch. You should have plenty of expertise in that area."

"Indeed, I do. Well, who do you have your eye on in that department this year?"

"I think I have my eye on the same player that everypony else is watching, Catch. Gaius Strongtalon, that kid griffon out of Vanhoover. What do you think of him?"

"I've seen the photos and the numbers from the Combine and let me tell you, Scout, this griffon can move and catch better than just about any receiver in the class. The question is, with how small he is compared to a few of these Earth Pony receivers, can he take hits or block? We didn't see too much of that in Academy."

"He's got some pretty steep competition with Hustle Bustle and Slip Step, especially when it comes to the physical side, but the way this kid moves is something else. Did you see his forty-yard dash time?."

"I think this kid belongs on a team that's looking for a serious downfield threat. If you had to ask me, I think he belongs with Hoofston or Manehattan. Maybe Canterlot, if he stays that long. The real question is, pardon me being frank, how do these teams feel about taking a griffon over a pony in this league, even with his outstanding physical attributes?

"I think no matter which way you look at it, Catch, he's a first-round pick no matter what. Receivers are wanted in this year's Draft and this kid's just too strong of a runner and catcher to go later, even if he's not the strongest in blocking or breaking tackles or... well, a griffon."

"Well, if you want broken tackles, let's take a closer look at Slip Step out of San Franciscolt Academy..."

[o==o]-------[o==o]

"Mom, stop it!" I complained.

"Hold, still, Gaius." She continued to grab at the long feathers on my head with her hooves, yanking far more than what I would deem necessary. Or appropriate. "I told you you should have cut it before we came here."

"Jeez, Mom, please! There are cameras around here!"

"Fine." She relented, placing her hooves back on the table in front of us. "I still think you should have let me fix your plumage for today."

"Aw, leave him be, Oat Cake. Boy looks fine." Dad was sitting across from us, probably enjoying the show far more than he would care to admit. "Just make sure you have your camera ready for the big moment."

"It's ready, hon." She fished the bulky camera from her saddlepurse. As she set it on the table, her hooves began shaking in excitement. "Oh, I'm just so excited, Gaius! My boy, going into the EHL! You're going to be a professional hoofball player!"

"Yes he is!" Dad said as he gave me a clop on the back with a force that would make a linepony blush. "Too bad the Vanhoover Hydras don't need receivers. It'll be hard rooting for two teams."

The day had come. The EHL Draft was here. The Baltimare Harbor Theater had been cleared out, most of the massive upper balcony seating now replaced with booths and tables for the Draft players and their families. It had taken an overnight train trip to get here from Vanhoover, but at least it was complimentary (something Dad was especially grateful for). It was still almost an hour before the event, but the seats below facing the stage were already filling up with ponies desperate to see who their teams would claim as their future talents, each filing into their respective fan section. The noise level in the building seemed to be constantly rising.

All of the players that were eligible for the Draft had arrived. We were all dressed in suits, and most of us were engaged in conversation with each other or with our families. Further down the balcony, There was a staircase that lead down the side of the room and directly to the stage for when it was announced that a player had been picked. Backstage, there were managers, coaches, and various representatives from the EHL teams that were probably still debating their choices as the players they argued over sat and socialized.

The stage was set up with a podium and microphone for the special speakers that would announce each Draft pick. Hanging behind the stage were sixteen hanging flags, representing all of the EHL teams; Canterlot Royals, Hoofston Cowponies, New Horseleans Timberwolves, Saddle Arabia Sphinxes, Cloudsdale Pegasi, Winnyiapolis Wendigos, Crystal Empire Gemstones, Bucklyn Phoenixes, Manehattan Equestrians, Fillydelphia Zeppelins, Baltimare Manticores, Griffonstone Talons, Las Pegasus Voyagers, San Franciscolt Sirens, Vanhoover Hydras, and Tall Tale Dreamers.

As I was admiring the scene, Mom held the camera out in front of her, lens pointing towards us. "Smile!" She said as the flash blinded me before I could process what was happening.

"Oh, that's a good one, Gaius!" She said while Dad tried not to chuckle into one of the mugs of free cider the hosts were handing out.

I cleared my throat. "Hey, I'm gonna find Solid Rock and Snapdragon. I'll be back in a couple of minutes."

"Okay, Gaius. Don't mess up your suit," Mom commanded. Then she turned to my defenseless father. "Now come here, Pop. I want a good picture of us."

I squeezed out of the booth, and after I was certain I was out of eyeshot from my mom, carefully smoothed my crown feathers back into place. There were dozens of ponies standing around and conversing near the center of the balcony. I caught ponies staring at me as I walked, checking out the wild-card griffon of the EHL Draft. I tugged on the collar of my suit carefully, not wanting to slice it with my talon. The stupid thing was probably worth more than I was, and I was about to be a professional athlete (although on a starting salary, to be fair).

It was a bit tricky to get a suit tailored in Equestria if you were a Griffon, but there was an old boutique in central Vanhoover that had always been willing to do it for me. Apparently, though, that wasn't good enough for my mother. She had the suit I was wearing specially ordered from a place called Canterlot Carousel, which was ironically owned by some big fashionista from Ponyville. Mom wouldn't even tell me how many bits it costed her and Dad. But, from the horrified scream I heard from him when he looked at the receipt in the shipping box, which he then threw in the fireplace like it was attacking him, I'm guessing it was a lot. The thing was sharp, though, I couldn't lie. The designer couldn't have seen more than a couple pictures of me, but the suit fit perfectly. The jacket was black, with a vivid purple shirt and a dark-striped tie that complimented my black and orange feathers uncannily well.

After walking around for a while and doing my best not to mess up my clothes or accidentally dip my tail in anypony's cider mug, I finally found Snapdragon, talking to a defensive player from Canterlot Prep. Snap was in a simpler oat-colored suit with a white shirt and black bow tie, but the crystal watch above his left front hoof definitely stood out. I realized with a light laugh that it was the watch his dad had won in a raffle held by Lead Chime's clock shop in Vanhoover. Snap's dad had won second place and gotten a hoofwatch made out of solid Crystal Empire crystal. The thing was clean, but it definitely didn't go with Snap's suit. I wouldn't be the one to tell him, though.

As I approached, Snap's conversation ended as the Canterlot Prep player turned away and starting casually striding towards a server pony holding a platter full of cider mugs. He grinned wide when he saw me.

"Hey, Gaius. Ooh, nice suit!" His eyes sparkled as he took in my disgustingly expensive designer clothing. We had ridden the train here together and stayed in the same hotel along with Solid Rock, but I hadn't shown him the suit yet. Mostly out of principal. And maybe out of embarrassment.

"Almost as nice as your watch." I replied as casually as I could. He smiled and pulled up his foreleg to examine it.

"Thanks, it's Dad's."

"I'm aware," I said. "What I'm wondering is why you're wearing it, not him."

"He gave it to me!" Snap said excitedly.

"What?"

"Yeah!" He was almost bouncing up and down from excitement. "He said it was a present for working so hard and making it to the Draft. Said it was the most valuable thing he had, and he wanted me to have it."

"That's great, buddy." I elbowed him in the chest. "Still hoping for the Dreamers?"

"I'll take what I can get." He said a bit sheepishly. He took in the scene around us. "Lot of really good players up here."

"And you're one of the best among 'em." I said confidently. "I'll be shocked if you don't go in the first round."

"Thanks, buddy," he said, but then his vision was locked onto something behind me. His expression had changed; not to anger, but to... disapproval. Like he was staring at somepony that had cheated him out of ten bits in foal school. I turned around and saw what had stolen his attention.

Two ponies, both in suits flashy enough to rival my own, were walking towards me. I immediately recognized both. The sharp blue coat and black and gray-striped mane of Cobalt Steel gave him away immediately, his poise relaxed and his eyes locked on Snap and I as he approached. Ponies whispered among themselves as they noticed him pass by, but a good amount of the commotion was probably due to pony walking beside him.

This pony was few years older, his deep blue coat much darker than his brother's. He was just a bit taller, too, his iron-gray mane carefully spiked into fashionable disarray. His suit was blue with a red tie, but by far the most noticeable aspect of his outfit was the solid gold, diamond-encrusted Equestria Bowl championship badge pinned onto the front of his jacket.

Indigo Steel. The face that had stared at me from the cover of so many hoofball magazines. The wildly successful, devilishly good-looking, championship-winning franchise quarterbuck for the Winnyiapolis Wendigos. And he was heading straight for me. My heart skipped a beat. I turned to Snap, prepared to geek out, but he still had that strange expression on his face. It was like he was struggling with something.

"Snap, are you alright?" I asked.

"...Yeah." He said, but the expression was unmoved. He finally turned to me and gave a weak smile. "I'm gonna go find Solid Rock. See you."

With that, he turned and left. I called out after him.

"Hey, Snap, what are y-"

"Gaius Strongtalon, right?" A voice said from behind me.

I turned on a dime. Cobalt Steel was standing directly in front of me, Indigo right beside him.

"U-Uh, yeah, that's me." I managed.

He smiled. "Name's Co-"

"Cobalt Steel." I grinned. "Don't worry, I know who you are. You almost kicked our flanks in the championship game."

He laughed. "Well, you guys did kick our flanks. It was a good game, you're a heck of a receiver." Cobalt turned to his famous brother. "This is-"

"Indigo Steel." I held out my talons, then cringed when I realized what I had just done. "Sorry."

They both laughed. Indigo stuck his hoof out, putting it in my claws to shake.

"No problem," he said. His voice was deeper than Cobalt's, already familiar to me to due to several recalled radio interviews. "So you're the receiver from Vanhoover everypony here's talking about. From what I hear on the radio, you've got skills, kid."

I forcibly fought down the urge to squee. "Oh, I'm sure they over-exaggerate. That's what sports analysts do best, right?"

This got a good laugh out of both of them. "Look at that," Indigo said with a grin. "You're wise, too. What do you think, Coby, this guy as good as they say?"

"Well, he lit our defense on fire, especially in the second half." Cobalt brought his hoof up to scratch his chin. "Your speed's no joke, man. Took some pretty big hits, too."

"Well your passing game's no joke either," I replied. "Guess you learned from the best in that regard."

"Learned from the best? Last I heard, Sterling Spiral doesn't do coaching," Cobalt said while he gave his brother a joking glare.

"Oh, really," Indigo retorted at he bumped his brother on his shoulder. "This guy's got jokes. Nah, but in all seriousness, Cobalt got pretty much everything he knows on his own. Now that we're about to be in the same league, I'm gonna have to step my game up so he doesn't leave me in the dust." He winked, then looked over to an older stallion in a suit on the other side of the balcony that was waving at him. "I gotta go, but you guys have fun. And good luck to you, Gaius."

He held his foreleg out for a hoof-bump. I gladly gave it to him.

"I like to think that I know a good receiver when I see one, and I've got a good feeling about you. Too bad Winnyiapolis isn't in the market for them, I doubt that you'll still be up for grabs in the second round."

I prayed he was right. He looked down at my clothes. "By the way, where'd you get that suit?"

"Uh..." I considered lying, but what was the point? "Canterlot Carousel."

Indigo grinned. "Me, too. That Rarity works wonders, doesn't she?" his eyes flickered back to the older stallion on the other end of the balcony, who looked like he was getting a bit impatient. "Well, see you guys." And then he was off, taking most of the commotion and spectator chatter with him.

"Your brother's really cool," I said. Cobalt nodded.

"Yeah, he is." His ears drooped a bit. "It's a lot of pressure to be related to a championship quarterbuck sometimes, but at least he's not full of himself, you know?" He paused for a moment. "By the way, is there something wrong with your runningbuck?"

"What?"

"His name's Snapdragon, right? Big green pony? He was looking at me like I owed him bits."

"Oh." I scratched the back of my head awkwardly. "Don't worry about it, he's good."

Cobalt nodded. "I'm surprised your quarterbuck didn't sign up for the draft. He was a real showstopper, would've given me a run."

I laughed internally at the irony. "He had a family business in Vanhoover that he wants to go into."

"I can respect that," he said thoughtfully, then broke out into an amused smile. "I guess this is kind of like my family business, huh?"

I laughed. "Pretty awesome family business."

"Yeah." He stared out towards the team flags hanging behind the stage. "Yeah, it is."

<*****>-------<*****>

After I was done talking to Cobalt, I managed to track down Snapdragon and Solid Rock. We chatted for a while, until our parents descended on us and snatched us up for group pictures. I considered tracking down the two defensive players from Vanhoover Academy that made it to the draft, Criss Cross and Guardian Angel, but we were all ushered to our booths before I had the chance.

After fifteen minutes of mind-numbing waiting, listening to the building rabble of hundreds, if not thousands, of impatient sports fan-ponies gathered below us, a pony finally emerged on the stage and was met by thunderous applause from the crowd. The EHL Draft was about to begin.

"Good evening, fillies and gentlecolts, and welcome to this year's Equestrian Hoofball League Draft!" The pony onstage was none other than Gilded Trophy, the chairpony of the EHL. He gave a routine speech about how the EHL was celebrating it's 30th anniversary this season, welcoming the draft prospects, thanking the fans, congratulating the Royals on another Equestria Bowl win, etc. Each segment brought on another wave of applause that, as was tradition, was mixed with an almost equal number of boos.

I leaned over to whisper in Dad's ear. "Why do we boo the chairpony again? It doesn't make sense."

He scratched his head. "I dunno. But it's tradition at this point."

Our attentions were rediverted back to the stage as Gilded Trophy continued. "Now, then. I believe I've taken up enough time here today. So now, here to announce the first pick of the EHL Draft for the San Franciscolt Sirens, please welcome our esteemed guest, EHL Hall-of-Fame runningbuck, Midnight Joust!"

The applause became ear-pounding as the chairpony left the stage to be replaced by an aged yet burly pitch-black earth pony with a white suit. He was accompanied by a pretty cream-coated middle-aged mare with a flowing brown mane and tail streaked with gray that I assumed was his wife.

"Well, what do you know!" Dad said excitedly. "I grew up watching him knock Vanhoover around! He was the biggest reason San Franciscolt won their only Equestria Bowl, don't let anypony lie to you. It was a relief to all of us when he retired."

Midnight Joust cleared his throat and stepped up to the podium.

"Thank you, Gilded." He had a rumbling voice, deep and resonant. "It is my honor and privilege to stand here and announce the first Draft pick for the San Franciscolt Sirens. They had a rough season this year, but I have faith that said rough season will be followed by one of the greatest comeback seasons in EHL history, and whoever's name is written on this note will help attest to that."

As he spoke, he reached a hoof into his jacket and pulled out a carefully folded note, marked with a gold seal. There was a name on it, hidden in its folds. Whoever's name was on that piece of paper would be the first overall pick, a tremendous honor. Was Solid Rock's name on it? Was mine? Not likely, but not impossible, either. The noise from the crowd began to rise as Midnight Joust tore off the seal and unfolded the letter.

"The first overall pick of this year's EHL Draft is... Solid Rock. Earth pony, center, Vanhoover Academy."

Explosive cheers erupted from the San Franciscolt fan section of the audience, matched only by the excited screams coming from Solid Rock's booth as his family celebrated the news.

"Well, look at that!" Dad said appreciably as he clapped his hooves. "Rocky did it! Good for him!"

The pony in question finally managed to separate himself from his parents and sister and exited the booth. I whistled as he passed, grabbing his attention.

"Way to go, Rock! I told you!" I yelled over the noise. He gave me a wink while Mom took a picture, and then made his way down the balcony stairs. From there it was a quick walk to the stage, where he shook hooves with Midnight Joust. A pony hurried to the two from backstage holding a pink and violet San Franciscolt jersey, which she hooved off to Midnight Joust. He helped Solid Rock hold it out, exposing the lettering and numbering on the side; Solid Rock/1. He also got a hat of the same color scheme that displayed the Sirens logo: a fearsome siren with Golden Gait Bridge in the background.

He threw the hat on, and then there was a chorus of camera flashes as Rock and Midnight held out the jersey, then Solid Rock carefully draped it over his back as he was walked up to the very front of the stage towards EHL's exclusive interview pony Hot Scoop, who held a waiting microphone.

"Solid Rock, first of all, congratulations." He said with courteous excitement. "First pick overall, and for the San Franciscolt Sirens. Tell me, how does it feel to make it to the EHL under such amazing circumstances, and, even more importantly, are you ready to center for Stormcaller?"

"It feels great, Scoop." I could hear the smile in his voice. "Actually, it still doesn't feel real. I had a great team beside me in Academy, and we worked really hard this year. It feels amazing to have all that hard work pay off today. I was fortunate enough to be a part of a team that won an Academy Championship, shout out to Gaius and Snapdragon up there. Oh, and Cross and Angel. But now, I'm aiming for nothing less than an Equestria Bowl. I'll do everything I can to make San Franciscolt proud, and I'll tell you this right now; nopony's laying a hoof on Stormcaller this season if I have anything to say about it."

The cheering got louder with each word. After the interview, Solid Rock was lead backstage to be introduced to his new coaches and managers. behind us, his family was quietly ushered backstage as well. I was sure the announcers in the radio booth were going mad covering the situation, rapidly analyzing the first Draft pick. I felt overwhelmingly glad for Solid Rock. He deserved it.

The next pick was the Crystal Empire Gemstones, who drafted a linebacker from Trottingham Academy. Then it was the Griffonstone Talons. Naturally, they traded their pick to another team, the Cloudsdale Pegasi, who drafted a pegasus cornerbuck from Manehattan Prep. The fourth pick brought about what several ponies in the crowd had been waiting for.

The esteemed guest onstage cleared her throat. "For the fourth overall pick in this year's EHL Draft, the Baltimare Manticores select... Cobalt Steel. Earth Pony, quarterbuck, Canterlot Prep Academy."

The cheering was rabid, with both Manticores and Wendigos fans exploding into applause. Cameras flashed insatiably as Cobalt and Baltimare-born pony pop star Radiaura held out his first-round-pick jersey, complete with the red and gold of the harbor city's hoofball team. His interview speech was heartfelt; he thanked his parents, his academy team at Canterlot, and especially his brother for his overwhelming support and mentorship, and promised a bright future to Baltimare sports fans.

After the cheering finally subsided, the Draft continued, and more ponies were called to the pros. Finally, the Hoofston Cowponies' esteemed guest, Hoofston mayor Stiff Amendment, took to the podium to announce pick number 8. My entire body was shaking. Hoofston was probably the most likely candidate to draft me.

"This is it Gaius. You're up next, I can feel it." Dad looked as excited as I was. Both he and Mom grabbed my talons as we waited for the announcement.

After a small stalling speech filled with lighthearted jokes and his lifelong love for the Cowponies and their franchise quarterbuck, Hock Fetlock, Stiff Amendment pulled out the letter and folded it open.

"Now, for the eighth overall pick in this year's Equestrian Hoofball League Draft, the Hoofston Cowponies select... Hustle Bustle. Earth pony, wide receiver, Tall Tale Academy for the Arts."

My parents and I all let out a disappointed sigh as the cheering rose again, this time from Hoofston's fan section. The receiver in question was tall and lean with a dark yellow coat and wild green mane. As I watched him pose with the mayor for his jersey picture, I couldn't help but be disappointed. So I wouldn't be the first wide receiver to go in the Draft, despite having the best numbers. Hustle Bustle was bigger than me, so maybe Hoofston needed a stronger receiver with more blocking potential? I at least tried to convince myself that was the case.

"Chin up, Gaius," Dad said. "Still got eight to go."

I nodded. "Right."

Pick number nine belonged to Bucklyn. My hopes were raised for Snapdragon, but they ended up drafting a safety from Baltimare Academy. Pick number ten belonged to the Las Pegasus Voyagers. They did draft a runningbuck, but it was Canterlot Prep's Railbreaker. He'd been a fierce double-threat along with Cobalt Steel. My heart felt heavy, Snap couldn't have taken that well.

Then, for the eleventh pick, it was Manehattan's turn. My excitement rose once again, the Manehattan Equestrians were also likely to draft a receiver, and I had an especially good chance on paper now that one of my best competitors was gone. Receiving for Hoofrocket would be a dream come true.

Manehattan's guest of honor was another retired EHL Hall-of-Fame player, an outside linebacker named Sandhill. He approached the podium and gave a short but effective intro speech, mostly dedicated to Equestrians fans. The Manehattan fan section made sure to shower him with applause for his troubles.

"And now," he pulled open the letter. "For the eleventh overall pick in this year's EHL Draft..."

Mom and Dad grabbed my talons again. My heart skipped a beat. Was this it? Would I be an Equestrian? Or would I be passed over again? Slip Step, the receiver from San Franciscolt, was still on the board after all. Panic began gnawing at the back of my mind; would I be drafted in the first round at all?

"The Manehattan Equestrians Select... Gaius Strongtalon. Griffon, wide receiver, Vanhoover Academy."

<*****>-------<*****>

"Gaius, congratulations, first of all. How are you feeling?" Hot Scoop levitated the microphone over to me while I tried to wipe my stupid smile off my face.

"Oh, I just feel amazing, you know?" Was I really about to cry? Ponies all across Equestria were listening to me right now, the microphone was wired directly to the radio booth as well as the auditorium speakers. "I mean, I spent my entire life working for this, and it's finally here. And for the Equestrians! I can't imagine it getting any better."

There were some hollers from the Equestrian fan section as Hot Scoop politely absorbed my words, the orange magic glowing from his horn dancing off the bright blue and dark violet jersey hanging on my back.

He cleared his throat. "Now Gaius, I hope this question doesn't bother you, but there are some who wonder how a griffon player such as yourself will slot into a team full of ponies. How do you think you'll fit into the EHL, considering you won't be a part of the only other team in the league that features griffon hoofball players, the Griffonstone Talons?"

I had been expecting a question like this, and I was prepared. Thankfully, he had worded his question perfectly for my rehearsed answer.

"I'm not here to fit in with the EHL, Scoop. I'm here to tear it up." There were some cheers at this, most notably from my dad up in the balcony. I was pretty sure my mom was still crying. "From day one, from the first time I stepped on a hoofball field, I knew I would have to play differently from everypony around me. But I told myself that if I couldn't be the strongest player on the field, I'd be the toughest instead. And the fastest. My family and teammates gave me everything else I needed along the way, and this is the payoff. I'm ready."

"Very well said, Mr. Strongtalon," Scoop belted above the noise of the crowd. "Now last question. This team that's chosen you, the Manehattan Equestrians; by earning a spot on this team, you'll now be receiving for Hoofrocket. What are your thoughts on that?"

"Oh, I'm ecstatic. I've seen first-hoof what Hoofocket can do over in Fivehead Stadium, and it's crazy to think I'll share a field with that kind of talent. I'll do everything I can to make myself a good target for him."

The Manehattan section erupted at my praise for their quarterbuck. I looked up towards the balcony to see my parents being ushered from their booths to go backstage.

"Thank you Gaius, and good luck!" Hot Scoop said. Then he turned to the audience to announce the special guest for the next pick. I turned and walked backstage as the Draft got ready to rumble on.

<*****>-------<*****>

"So what did he say?" Bronze Cartwheel asked while tightening a bolt on his current project wagon. We were inside of his dad's cart shop in Vanhoover, talking about the Draft. Specifically, we were talking about when I went backstage and met Playmaker, the head coach for the Manehattan Equestrians. My new head coach.

"He was really cool." I was lounging around in the workshop while Bronze slaved over the broken cart. His dad was off buying supplies, so he had to hold the fort down. Normally I'd help him, but apparently I talked faster when I wasn't preoccupied with repairs, and he wanted to know every last detail.

"Really cool? Come on ya featherbrain, ya gotta give me more than that! Tell me what he said!"

"All right, all right!" I huffed and sat up in the old, beat-up recliner Bronze's dad kept in the workshop. "He told me it was an honor to meet me, said he was looking forward to working with me, thought I had a lot of potential and a unique set of skills, blah blah blah."

"Did ya see Snap backstage?" He asked.

"Yeah!" I flew up out the seat, suddenly amplified. "Can you believe it? Canterlot Royals! Last pick of the first round, too!"

"He's gotta be super excited. Too bad Ah don't get to see him until after tomorrow. He's too busy celebratin' with his relatives in Ponyville."

"We all have to spend one last day together, go do something in the city to really celebrate. We'll invite Solid Rock, too."

"Yeah, Ah agree," Bronze said as he tightened the last bolt on the wagon. "Ah just wish Gleamin' Lance was here, too."

"Any word from him since he left for guard training?" I asked.

"Nope. But it's only been a couple weeks. Maybe he needs more time to settle in?"

"I think he said they play radio in the mess hall while they eat, so probably. I think a letter will be arriving any day." I tried to stay chipper, but I did miss Gleaming Lance. I would miss all of my friends. I was ecstatic about my future with the Equestrians (The Manehattan Equestrians!), but I was also leaving everything behind. I was leaving the modest urban expanse and quiet backfields of Vanhoover for the much bigger, much more bustling Manehattan. I'd been there twice, both for Academy Hoofball. It would be a tough change, but a worthwhile one. I was fairly confident I'd find new hoofball family there in my new team, but it would be tough saying goodbye to my old one.

"Uh, Gaius..." Bronze said in an unsure tone while he dropped his tools in his dad's saddlebag. Uh-oh. "Ah don't mean to be a buzzkill or nothin', but... about your... biological parents. I know you said 'yer okay, but if you need to talk to me about it before you go... or even after, Ah'm right here."

Oh. "Thanks, Bronze, but I'm okay. Really." In truth, I had been trying hard not to think about it. The letter and the necklace were both locked in my desk drawer, and I didn't have any plans to take them to Manehattan with me. I almost wore it with my suit to the Draft. The color would have matched perfectly, but it just didn't feel right. I still wasn't sure how I felt about the whole situation, but hoofball was dominating my mind at the moment as per usual. I couldn't let a dumb letter cloud my mind with my pro career starting soon.

Bronze scratched the back of his head. "So, uh, when do ya leave for Manehattan, again?"

"Next month." I responded calmly. He nodded.

"It'll be weird without you, Snap, and Rock around. It's already weird just having Lance gone."

"I'm sure it will," I sighed. "But you'll make it. You've still got your dad to keep you company."

"Don't remind me," Bronze snickered. Then something behind me caught his attention. "Well, speak of Nightmare Moon, she cometh' now."

"Hey, boys," Stud Cartwheel said in his gravelly voice as he dragged his wagon full of tools into the workshop. Looks like his run had been more than successful. Stud looked a lot like Bronze, except his coat was even darker and his mane was more gray than brown. There was also the beard. "Congrats again, Gaius. Manehattan, who would've thought it? Just don't forget us little ponies when you're the talk of the big city, ya hear?"

"'Course not, Mr. Cartwheel." I politely flew out of his way. "I'm looking forward to what Bronze will do here. I can't wait to come back and see signs for Cartwheel Cart Repair on every street corner. This is if it doesn't make it to Manehattan first."

Stud laughed as he unhitched himself from his wagon and began inspecting the cart that Bronze had fixed. "He's already been pitching me ideas. Some of 'em Ah think are genius. Others, well, they only could've been learned at an academy, let's leave it at that."

"Hey!" Bronze complained, causing more laughter from his dad.

"Ah'm just joking. Ah think you'll do better with this place than Ah ever could. Ya can already just about fix a cart better than me." His tone got more serious. "But Ah still think you had a chance in the EHL son, even if it was just a slim one. Are ya sure ya don't regret it?"

"Dad." Bronze huffed and planted a hoof. "Ah'm where Ah want to be. Ah promise. And you know that."

Stud sighed. "Yeah, I guess ya are." The smile returned. "Ah guess Ah should be happy that Ah don't have to say goodbye to my boy yet. Ah'm sure that'll be hard for your folks, Gaius. Pardon me for prying, but Ah'm not sure what they'll do with that farm since you're off to the big leagues."

"Oh, I'm sure Mom and Dad will be on that plot of land until they keel over. Now that I'm going, they'll probably cut down on the farmwork. Academy won't be draining Dad's pockets anymore." I squinted at the end of my sentence, the orange rays of the setting sun piercing through the open workshop doors. "Looks like I'll have to head home, soon."

"If Ah may," Stud started. "Why don't you fly home and invite 'yer folks to dinner here tonight? As a celebration of sorts."

Bronze got excited at the prospect. "Oh, yeah! Mom's making her oat and broccoli pot pie! Ya'll should totally come!"

"Dad won't want to pass that up." I laughed. "I'll invite them. Hopefully I can get home before Mom starts cooking anything."

"We'll be waitin' for ya!" Stud said. Then I took off. On the flight home, I made sure to soar high and get a good view of Vanhoover, basking in the radiant sunset. I'd miss this city, both the imposing buildings in the distance and the rolling hills and farms that Bronze Cartwheel and I called home. Just one more month and I'd have a new home. And a new team. I tried to think of all the new players I'd be sharing the field with. Hoofrocket, Blockbuster, Hightower, Buckcherry, Fullsteam, Marathon Iron. But when I tried to picture me standing beside them, all I saw was me with Bronze, Snap, Rock, and Lance. And somehow, in that image, I was wearing the necklace that came with that stupid letter. I shook my head to dispel the thought and took off for home, suddenly no longer interested by the view.