• Published 25th Jan 2019
  • 343 Views, 8 Comments

Curving Bullets: A Dash of Fate - Book_Wyrm



Rainbow Dash, an agent with a special ability, is tasked with a very important mission. One that will change the future of Equestria and the Crystal Empire forever.

  • ...
1
 8
 343

An Insane Mission

Chapter 1

“You want me to what...?!” Rainbow Dash yelled. Stupid mouth, she chided, before calming herself down. Speaking the first thought to come to mind in an extremely shocking situation was a bad habit she had spent years working on. Getting a grip, she went back to her rigid posture, back straight, head up, staring at the thrones, and the two mares on them.

“Yes, Agent Dash,” Princess Luna spoke, her regal voice echoing through the empty hall, “That is exactly what we are tasking you to do.” She looked down upon the cyan mare before her, taking in both her posture and her appearance. The rainbow mane cut short and done in a wild style. The cold magenta eyes and the formal blue and gold uniform of an agent for the Solar Division Equestrian Intelligence and Removal Agency. “This is quite possibly the most important assignment of your...” she looked at the file held in her magic, “rather impressive career.”

Princess Celestia nodded, her ever shifting mane moving in its strange fashion as she watched the pegasus below her. “Agent Dash, you are one of the most talented and reliable of all our agents. And with your special talents, we are sure you are capable of handling the job.”

Rainbow Dash gave a small bow, “Of course, Your Highnesses.” She looked up again, adding, “May I ask when I will get the details for this mission.” Outside, she was the model of a calm and collected EIRA agent, ready for duty. Inside, her mind was churning with doubts and even a little bit of fear. Sure, she’d done plenty before: getting rid of corrupt nobles, spying on Sombra’s elite and their plans in the Crystal Empire, tracking down dangerous fugitives and stealing classified info. But this was something different. Something that had never been attempted. Something so dangerous that she wasn’t sure that even she would be able to do it.

Rainbow Dash never bragged. Every thought, every word that came out of her mouth about her skill was completely true. Bragging about talent you didn’t have was of no use. Dash had seen ponies who had exaggerated. Many of them had died, taken out in the field because they were too overconfident. But Dash didn’t exaggerate. Everypony knew it, which was why she was assigned the most dangerous of missions. Including this one.

Princess Celestia spoke again. “Agent Dash, if you’ll follow, Princess Luna will debrief you about the mission in a private room.” At each word, the cyan pegasus’s eyes widened. Nothing about this mission, it seemed, would be normal. Or even the semblance of normal that qualified, as an EIRA agent.

Princess Luna stepped down from the dais,Rainbow Dash following her as she walked out of the Throne Hall. Two guards flanked the majestic wooden doors, their machine guns firmly in hoof. They saluted as the two mares walked past, dropping back into position at a nod of the blue alicorn’s head.

“As you know,” Luna said as they traveled the halls of Canterlot Castle, “This mission is highly crucial and very dangerous. You will be equipped with the best of modern technology, as well as enough bits to cover absolutely anything. You will not be taking this mission alone. Your partner is awaiting us in the meeting room.”

Rainbow Dash nodded along. Much of the speech was similar to that she had heard many times before. A few things, though, caught her attention. One was the budget. From what she could gather, the Equestrian government was giving unlimited funding. Also, Princess Luna mentioned the other mare on the mission in an interesting way. Rainbow could tell that whoever this partner was, they were probably both talented and dangerous. And mysterious.

Finally, after more steps and hallways then Dash could tell, the pair reached a set of black wooden doors. Princess Luna pushed them open. Inside was a meeting room, ten high backed wooden chairs around a rectangular table. A fire roared in a hearth at the back. Sitting in one of the chairs was a lavender unicorn in the jet-black suit of a Lunar Division EIRA agent.

“A Lunar?” Dash asked incredulously. “A Lunar agent on this mission? But aren’t they dedicated to fighting monsters and dark sorcerers and the like? Not, you know, court politics and assassinations and all the stuff the Solars do?”

“Yes,” Princess Luna said, “But Agent Sparkle is a highly talented unicorn, and considering this mission, her magical expertise is a much needed asset. There is no Solar agent who could tell you more about the danger that you’re facing, much less fight it.”

Agent Sparkle smiled, “Of course, Your Highness.” Rainbow felt the unicorn’s eyes on her as she sat at a chair facing the other agent, Princess Luna taking a seat at the head of the table.

“Agent Sparkle, will you begin,” the alicorn nodded to the unicorn.

“Well,” Agent Sparkle began, “You are Agent Rainbow Dash of the Solar Division, I presume. The one with the...interesting ability.” She paused a moment, rifling through a folder. “As you know, this job is an immense challenge. Even the infiltration process to get us inside the Crystal Empire is an proving rather hard. However, the real trouble begins once we are stationed inside the Crystal Castle.”

Rainbow Dash listened attentively as her new partner continued after pulling out a piece of paper, “Some of the challenges we are going to face definitely involve dark magic, but there are other concerns. Not only will we be facing the Crystal Court on a daily basis, but also the potential criminal acts, general sabotage, potential monsters, and actually getting close enough to our target to complete the goal.”

“You both will be given packets with your wallets in them.” Princess Luna told them, taking a turn to speak, “You will also be playing the part of two young minor crystal nobles, who are cousins. Many of the less important families have some Equestrian blood in them, so with some extra training for Agent Sparkle, we should be able to integrate you into a family who is on more friendly terms with us, having more to gain from your success than from turning you in. We will equip you both with the normal weapons: hand guns, knives, some basic poisons. Agents Sparkle, I believe, will deal with an arrangements necessary for your ‘visit’. You will also receive large checks, supposedly from your ‘family’. You will be outfitted for formal events in all the crystal fashions. The specific details of your parts are found in the packets here.” She handed each mare another folder. “Remember, it is imperative to complete this mission at all costs. You see a prisoner being mistreated, do not help them. You see anything you don’t approve of, refrain from acting if it might jeopardize the mission. Completing your goal must come even before each other. Above all else, you must remove your target. All the information about him is also in your debriefing packets.”

Promptly, the princess stood. Both Dash and Sparkle stood with her. She motioned for them to remain seated. “I’ll leave you to discuss.”

After she had left, Agent Sparkle turned to Rainbow Dash. “I feel we haven’t been properly introduced. I’m Twilight Sparkle. I’m a Lunar Agent who works in the Dark Magic unit. I mostly work on tracking down and removing those who use the...less pleasant magics.” She got a far away look in her eyes. The look of somepony who had seen things best left unasked and unremembered. “I grew up in Canterlot, attended the School for Gifted Unicorns, and have degrees in Magical Studies, Advanced Spellwork, and Dark Magic Studies.”

Dash stared right back at her. “I’m Rainbow Dash. Cloudsdale born and raised. One of the fastest pegasi ever. I work in the Exterior Duty unit. I do just about any form of espionage the orders say. I joined the Solar Guard, but they decided I had the right...talents for an agent's job.”

Twilight looked down at her folder. “Well, I hope your talents help us here. We’re going to need every advantage we can get.”

Rainbow Dash looked at her own collection of files. A face stared back up at her. A gray stallion, with magical smoke leaking from his eyes and a red curved horn. Her eyes were drawn to the malicious evil grin on his face, and the sharp fangs protruding from his face. “I can’t believe he really is our target. I knew they’d go after him sometime, but never thought I’d be the one.” Dash breathed out his name. “King Sombra.”

Author's Note:

Here we go. My first try at a story like this. Cue the Dash Sparkle kick ass combo. :twilightsmile: