• Published 2nd Mar 2019
  • 2,584 Views, 30 Comments

Equestria Girls: Robots in Disguise - I Am Eons Away

  • ...
5
 30
 2,584

[Prologue] Chapter 2: The Friendship Games

Planet Earth
Location: Canterlot City
The Friendship Games' Final Event

It had come to the end of the annual Friendship Games, a once-friendly competition between two rival academic schools, Canterlot High and Crystal Prep. After a series of unexplained events, one Crystal Prep student, Twilight Sparkle, absorbed a large amount of magical energy, and had transformed into a monstrous, warped version of herself, called Midnight Sparkle. Right now, she was floating above a large inter-dimensional rift of her own making, leading into an alternate reality called Equestria, where equines reigned supreme as the dominant species. Midnight stared down at the portal, the gleam in her eyes becoming ever more clear as she began floating down toward it, until one of the panicked students stood onto her feet.

"Twilight, don't do this!" The girl, Sunset Shimmer, called out to the monster in front of her. The former bad girl of the school, Sunset had also suffered an ordeal involving transforming into a demonic entity, complete with a lust for the power in Equestria. Sunset knew how it felt, and she could only hope that Twilight was still able to listen. Clasped in Sunset's hand was a small, circular device, though Midnight didn't seem to notice.

"Oh please, Sunset Shimmer, as if YOU are in any position to try and convince me that I shouldn't fulfil my desires for power." Midnight began. "Or, did that whole crown incident just float over your head once you finally won over everybody's trust!" The demoness cackled as Sunset Shimmer, just as her horn began to glow brightly. "Hm? What's this?" She turned around to see a giant object burning up within the atmosphere, heading towards the city at an alarming rate.

'She's distracted, now's my chance...' Sunset Shimmer thought to herself as she opened up the device in her hand, watching as five other girls began to glow, a unique aura surrounding each of their bodies. Each girl began to float up, emitting a beam of magical energy toward Sunset, the magic collecting within her device and charging it up. After a couple minutes, the device sealed itself, just as the object in the sky crashed into the city.

A large ship exploded into the school, destroying the rear section in a blaze of rubble, metal and flames. Everyone standing nearby was either thrown backwards or simply shocked at the explosion, including Midnight Sparkle, buying Sunset enough time to regain her composure and look up toward her foe. "Twilight, this is your last chance! Please, let me show you that there's a better way to get past this!"

Midnight looked down at Sunset and rolled her eyes. "Ugh, are you still trying to use words against me? That strategy might work on paper, but it's not gonna work on me!" Midnight growled slightly as she began heading toward the sight of the large explosion, the dimensional rifts she had created beginning to seal themselves as the magical energy had been drained by Sunset. As Midnight got closer, Sunset opened the device and aimed it at Midnight, firing an anchor of magical energy that attached itself to her horn. "NO!! What are you doing?! Stop it!!! STOP!!!" Midnight screamed as she felt her power beginning to leave her body, her body growing weaker and weaker as each second passed by.

After a minute had passed, Midnight's body began to glow as she became surrounded by a bright purple light, prompting everyone below her to cover their eyes or look away from her as the ball of light began to float slowly to the ground, dissipating into particles to reveal the weakened Twilight Sparkle.

"Twilight? A-Are you OK?" Sunset asked, as the purple-haired bookwork slowly got to her feet, her legs weakened and tired. She rubbed her eyes, straightening her glasses as she looked toward Sunset.

"I-I think so....wha-what happened?" She looked around, turning to gaze at the blazing fire behind her, the result of an unknown ship colliding with the school. "D-Did I do that?! Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry! I never meant for any of this to happen!" Twilight clasped her hands over her mouth as she began to cry silently.

"Twilight, it's OK..." Sunset spoke softly, attempting to reassure her, reaching out a hand to grasp her shoulder gently. "None of this was your fault, and....well, going from my own experiences, you'll be forgiven." She smiled as Twilight embraced her in a hug, as students from both Canterlot High and Crystal Prep began to encircle them, smiling and 'awww'ing as they did so.

"Not her fault? NOT HER FAULT?!" An elder woman cried out in outrage from behind a small pile of rubble. Standing ahead, she slowly approached the students, and other faculty members present, a grimacing expression on her face. "She uses the magic to try and kill us all, and you expect that to not be HER fault?!" She asked harshly, before turning to CHS's principal, Celestia. "Principal Celestia, I should be taking you to the school board for this! You've allowed magic to run rampant in this school, endangering the lives of several students and you allow those responsible to face no consequences!" Despite this rant, Celestia simply wore a devious smirk on her face.

"Of course, Principal Cinch. I'm sure the school board would be absolutely delighted to hear your story about winged demons, magical schoolgirls, portals to other dimensions..."

"...and talking dogs!" Twilight's schoolbag suddenly opened up to reveal her now-talking dog, Spike. "Because a story like that totally wouldn't tarnish your hard-earned reputation." Spike smirked as well as Cinch found herself surrounded by students from both schools. Her eyes twitched slightly before she took in a deep breath.

"This will not be the last you'll see of me, Celestia. I'll be back, and when I do return, you'll regret ever crossing paths with me." Cinch glared at her rival for a brief second before turning away and walking toward her school, her dignity mostly intact.

Another faculty member, Vice Principal Luna of CHS, turned toward the wreckage of the back of the school. "Um, sister, what are we going to do about that? We can't allow classes to continue when half the school is nothing but rubble and broken piping." Celestia nodded in agreement.

"Of course, thank you sister. We'll close down Canterlot High until we can arrange for repairs to be made, and for whatever crashed down to be properly disposed of." Celestia spoke as she turned toward the students. "In light of recent events, we are temporarily shutting down Canterlot High and ending the Friendship Games on a draw. If anyone has been injured, please let one of us know and we'll call for an ambulance."

Sunset Shimmer and the rest of her friends walked toward the two sisters. "Um, Principal Celestia? Would it be possible for us to maybe investigate that...thing, once the fires are cleared and everything?" She asked, slightly pleadingly. "I-I mean, we're the school's foremost experts when it comes to otherworldly matters and everything."

Celestia gave a slight nod. "Alright, but only once I've gotten word from authorites that the fires have been contained. I'll let you know when that happens." Celestia gave Sunset a small pat on the shoulder. "Now, I need to speak with Dean Cadence about transferring Twilight over to CHS, but in the meantime, I need you to look after her, just as Princess Twilight once did for you. Can you do that?"

Sunset beamed. "Yes, Principal Celestia. I'll be sure to make her feel right at home here." She smiled, and Celestia smiled as well before walking over to Dean Cadence.

Twilight found herself surrounded by six girls, including Sunset. The rainbow-haired girl wrapped an arm around Twilight's neck. "Looks like you're gonna be one of us now! This'll be SO awesome!"

Another girl, purple-haired and poshly dressed, began to chime in. "Just you wait, Twilight! I have a whole list of hairstyle and clothing ideas just for you!" She giggled and placed a hand gently over her mouth. "Do pardon my enthusiasm, darling."

Sunset decided to step in before anybody else could speak. "Come on girls, let's give her a little bit of breathing space." She smiled and gave Twilight a pat on the shoulder. "Don't worry, Twilight. You'll do just fine with us."

Later that evening, once everybody had left, several small spheres of magical energy leaking from the Canterlot High statue, scattering themselves across the city...