• Published 18th Jan 2019
  • 1,239 Views, 82 Comments

Before the Friendship Games: Dean Cadance - CapNTilfy



Dean Cadance is hiding something. Something that very few people know. Book Seven of The Crystal Prep Chronicles: Before the Friendship Games.

  • ...
4
 82
 1,239

Another Friendly Visit

Author's Note:

Six days until the Friendship Games.

The next morning, Cadance waited eagerly for Radiant Hope's arrival. Much like Neighsay, both of their busy schedules gave them little opportunity to visit outside of work. She stretched and cracked her neck as sunlight streamed out of her windows, hoping today would at least be a little eventful and not chaotic. She had enough of that sort of nonsense at Crystal Prep!

There was a knock at Cadance's door. Unable to contain her excitement, she actually ran to the door, surprising herself. She opened the door to see Radiant Hope, smiling widely.

----------------------------------------------

Today was Cadance's first day at Crystal Prep. It was like a strange new world to her, being around so many people. Her last school didn't nearly have as many people! She took a deep breath, then exhaled. It was going to be okay. If anything happened to her, she knew her mother would have her back. With that thought, she began to feel more confident until she bumped into another student and fell to the floor.

"Oh, crap! Are you okay?"

Cadance shook her head rapidly, snapping herself out of her short daze. Above her, a light purple student outstretched her hand as her icy blue eyes shone with sincere intent. "Uh... yeah." She accepted the hand, then stood up. "You are?"

"Hope." The student said, again extending her hand, but this time for a handshake. "Radiant Hope."

Cadance smiled, accepting the handshake. "Cad-" She stopped herself mid-sentence. Should she tell Hope her real name? She thought for a moment, then shrugged. "My name is Mi Amore Cadenza, but I'd rather you call me Cadance."

"Mi Amore...?" Hope's eyes widened. "Wait, are you related to-"

Cadance put a finger to Hope's lips and nodded. "Yes, she's my mother," she whispered. "But I don't want this to become common knowledge. I'm worried I might get treated differently."

Hope took Cadance's finger off of her mouth, then pressed her pointer finger and thumb together. She ran them across her lips with a smile. "My lips are sealed," she whispered back.

----------------------------------------------

"Cadance!" Hope hugged her good friend tightly. "Oh, it's so good to see you outside of Crystal Prep for a change!"

Cadance returned the hug. She and Hope would gave each other funny looks in the halls when nobody was watching, just to keep themselves sane in Crystal Prep's atmosphere. "I know, right? Feels great to meet in a non-oppressive atmosphere." She broke the hug. "Do you want something to drink?"

Hope shook her head as she closed the door behind her. "Nah, I'm okay. Thanks though!"

----------------------------------------------

Cadance glanced at Hope, her partner for the final event of the Friendship Games: Doubles tennis matches. Beads of sweat were trickling down both of their faces in the heat of the sun and the moment as they stared down their opponents.

On the other side of the court there stood a light blue woman with light and dark blue streaks in her hair. Her opal eyes narrowed in determination and concentration before briefly glancing at her partner for the go-ahead.

The other double was slightly taller than her partner. Her multicolored pastel hair was tied up to keep it from obscuring her pink face and purple eyes. She looked to her partner, then nodded.

The shorter of the two tossed the tennis ball into the air and raised her racket, then swung it down with a yell. The ball careened over the net as Hope scrambled towards its trajectory, then hit it to the other double. The taller hit it back with a backhand swing, smiling confidently. Cadance ran to the net, then smashed the ball onto the court. The shorter closed in, swung... and missed.

"Game, set, and match: Crystal Prep Academy!"

The crowd roared as both pairs went to the net to shake hands.

"Luna," said the light blue woman as she extended her hand.

Cadance smiled and accepted the handshake. "Cadance."

Hope walked forward as the handshake was broken. "Hope. Radiant Hope." She extended her hand with a smile, and Luna accepted it.

Luna's doubles partner walked up. "You two played a great game. That was the most intense match my sister and I have ever played!"

Cadance grinned. "Likewise. And you are?"

"Oh, forgive me," the woman said sheepishly with a blush. "My name's Celestia." She extended her hand, and Cadance accepted. A moment later, she broke the handshake, then waited patiently as Hope introduced herself. "So," she said once introductions were finished. "Would you both like to hang out after the ending ceremonies?"

Celestia and Luna glanced at each other, then nodded. "Sounds good to us."

----------------------------------------------

Hope entered the living room area, then sat down and sighed. "I can't remember the last time I've been here..." Her eyes widened as a thought occurred to her. "Maybe we should see if Luna wants to come hang out. It'd be just like old times!"

Cadance sat down next to Hope with a smile. "Sure, let me call her up!" She dialed Luna's number, then put her on speaker so both she and Hope could hear her.

After a couple of rings, Luna picked up. "Hello!"

"Hey, Luna! Hope's here with me!"

"Hi," Hope said.

"Hey, Hope! To what do I owe the honor of this call?"

"We were wondering if you'd be able to hang out with us," Cadance said. "Just like old times!"

"I'd love to," Luna said. "But there's a video game tournament starting up soon. Is tomorrow okay for the both of you?"

Cadance never really understood the appeal of video games. She tried it once or twice with Luna, then decided they simply just weren't for her. "I've got nothing going on then." She looked at Hope. "What about you?"

Hope sighed. "I do have something lined up that day...but not the evening. We could make a ladies' night out of it!"

Cadance blinked. "When was the last time we had one of those?"

"Last year," Hope said with a cheeky grin. "You just don't remember it."

Cadance barked a laugh. "Wow, I was that out of it?"

"You were so drunk that Hope and I had to call a cab for you!" Luna burst into laughter.

Cadance scratched her chin, unable to recall. Whatever happened that night, she knew it wasn't the first time she'd became full-on drunk, and she knew it wouldn't be the last, either. She made sure such nights were a rarity, however. As a Dean, it would not do to get wasted constantly. "Yeah, I've got nothing."

"Oh, it's starting! See you ladies tomorrow evening!"

"Bye!" Cadance hung up, then looked at Hope. "So, do you have any ideas for passing the time?"

Hope grinned. "The mall."

Cadance's eyes widened. The mall was her and Hope's favorite hangout when they were still in school together. "The mall...'just like old times'..." She raised an eyebrow and smirked. "Radiant Hope, are you having a midlife crisis?"

Hope snorted. "No, but give me a few more years." The two shared a laugh.

"Okay, then. Let's get going, shall we?" Cadance and Hope left and got into their cars, eager to visit the mall they hadn't been to in years.