• Published 18th Jan 2019
  • 1,226 Views, 82 Comments

Before the Friendship Games: Dean Cadance - CapNTilfy



Dean Cadance is hiding something. Something that very few people know. Book Seven of The Crystal Prep Chronicles: Before the Friendship Games.

  • ...
4
 82
 1,226

In Need of Hope

Several minutes had passed, and Cadance regained control of her emotions. She hadn't been that angry since... She sighed, then heard a knock on the door. "Come in," she said. The door opened to admit a furious Twilight Sparkle. She stomped to the Dean's desk. "Twilight," she said in surprise and concern. "You look absolutely livid! What's wrong?"

Twilight took a deep breath, then sighed. She took a moment to gather her thoughts, then began. "Out in the hall... I heard two students arguing. One of them said 'Your mom is town bicycle, and I got her off last night.'" Her voice began to rise in volume. "He began to play a video... It was sexual in nature." Her face began to darken. "I-It was... it was a student having sex with another student's mother."

Cadance kept her expression neutral, but on the inside she felt her anger begin to rise at the mere thought.

"A-and then," Twilight said, trembling with anger. "H-He had the absolute gall to say 'T-That must mean I-I'm your daddy now!'" Her trembles of fury became trembles of sadness. "Why," she asked, then sniffled. "Why would somebody do something so...so reprehensible?!" Dean Cadance walked over to her and hugged her.

"It's okay, Twilight," Cadance said reassuringly. "I dealt with that matter personally."

Twilight sniffled again, then returned Cadance's hug. "How could he," she asked.

Cadance frowned a little. "It isn't my place to say," she said. "But don't worry, Twilight. I have a feeling that someday, things are going to change around here."

Feeling reassured just by being in Cadance's presence, Twilight smiled. "I hope so," she said.

"Do you feel better now?"

Twilight nodded.

"Good," Cadance said. "You should hurry if you want to catch your bus." Twilight yelped, then ran out of Cadance's office.

"Thank you," Twilight said, then closed the door.

"God, what has Crystal Prep Academy become," Cadance whispered to herself. I'd better walk the anger off, unless I want to explain to Cinch why there's a hole in the wall of my office.

----------------------------------------------

Cadance sighed as she walked the halls. She glanced to her side and noticed Lemon Zest. She called her out, gaining the student's attention.

"Yes, Dean Cadence," Lemon asked.

"Before you go, I just wanted to check in with you. Did you speak to someone like I asked?"

Lemon smiled. "Yeah! I spoke with Radiant Hope. It was great talking to her! I made another appointment to see her."

Cadence smiled back. "That's good to hear, Lemon."

Lemon sighed. "If only more people around here were like her... or you."

"Who knows," asked Cadence. "Maybe that'll change one day."

"I wouldn't hold my breath, Dean Cadence. I wouldn't hold my breath." Lemon said as she headed for the exit.

"Have a good rest of your day," Cadence said.

"You too," said Lemon Zest as she waved goodbye before turning her back.

Cadance sighed with a frown as she watched Lemon hurry to her bus. The poor girl shouldn't have to be subjected to such hostility. None of the students here should. And yet... her earlier display of anger... Damn that woman, she thought. She walked back to her office and sent a text.

Hope, I need to talk with you. - Cadance

Can you meet me in my office for a few minutes?

----------------------------------------------

Cadance reached her office and sat down as the altercation with the student replayed in her mind over and over again. She put her head in her hands, feeling ashamed of herself. She should know better than that, but once the subject of mothers came up... There was a knock at her door, interrupting her thoughts. "Come in," she said. The door opened to reveal Radiant Hope. "Oh, thank god," Cadance whispered, then shot over to her.

Hope closed the door behind her, then yelped in surprise as Cadance hugged her tightly. In her experience, whenever her old friend did this was when she was either elated or sorrowful. "...Are you okay?"

Cadance looked up at Hope and sniffled. "I-I don't know."

Hope smiled warmly. "Come on, sit down with me," she said soothingly. The two sat next to each other and looked face to face. She gently took Cadance by the hands. "Now, what happened?" The Dean proceeded to tell Hope exactly what transpired, and slowly lost her composure as she ended her explanation. Hope's eyes went wide. "My god," she whispered.

Cadance shuddered with emotion. "I think this is it. It's finally happening," she said, her voice cracking. "After all these years of working with Cinch, I'm getting caught up in all the aggression..."

Hope narrowed her eyes. "Now see here, Cadenza," she said sternly, rapidly gaining the Dean's attention. "You only flipped out back there because someone's mother was disrespected. That's been a sore spot for you ever since we lost Amore."

Cadance wiped away a tear. "But it doesn't excuse my behavior, Hope!"

"You're right," Hope said. "It doesn't." She paused in thought for a moment. "Okay. I think you should find that student and apologize for treating him that way."

"But what if he acts all smug about it, Hope? I can't afford to lose my temper like that again!"

"Then walk away," Hope said. "Be the bigger person... It's what your mother would have done."

Cadance sniffled. "My mom wouldn't have attacked that student in the first place!"

"That's true," Hope admitted. "But whenever she made a mistake, no matter how big or how small, she would always make up for it. It's one of the reasons she was so loved."

Cadance sniffled again, then sighed heavily. "You're right, Hope." A smile formed on her face. Hope always knew what to do or say to cheer her up, or even set her on the right path. She hugged Hope again. "Thank you."

Hope returned the hug. "Any time, Cadance. Any time." She she broke the hug, then took out her phone. "Speaking of which, I think it's about time I headed out. What about you?"

"I've still got some paperwork to fill out, but I'll be leaving soon."

"Well, then," Hope said. "I'll see you tomorrow."

"Yeah," Cadance said with a smile. "See you tomorrow."

Hope left, and Cadance went to work, feeling much better than before.