• Published 28th Dec 2018
  • 469 Views, 26 Comments

Crystal Note - Where life leads us - TalkingToMyself



After years of travelling all over Equestira, Crystal Note returns to live in the Crystal Empire, her old home. When a tragic event throws the life of three fillies out of balance, Crystal Note is there to help.

  • ...
 26
 469

PreviousChapters Next
Hearth's Warming IX

Crystal Note had been a little worried if the spa would even be open on the day before the holidays, but it turned out that she didn’t have to worry. Lotus Blossom and Aloe were thrilled to see her again and quickly ushered them inside. The way they acted, Crystal Note rightfully suspected that they would have treated them even if they had been closed.

Glass Slipper, who had never been inside a spa before, looked around with wide eyes and just followed Rarity for what she called ‘the usual’. The two mares who ran the place were very friendly and explained everything to her, even though she didn’t ask, but that was kind of the point. Aloe and Lotus Blossom seemed to know exactly what everypony needed and did their best to satisfy all their needs. While Aloe quickly led Crystal Note away to ‘remove that blotch’ from her mane, Lotus took them to a sauna. Basically, it was a tiny room inside the spa that was really, really hot. They sprawled out on the benches and Glass Slipper felt uncomfortable right away when she started sweating, but Bon Bon and Rarity quickly reassured her that this was normal.

In the middle of the room was a big bowl with red-hot rocks that emitted even more heat. Every other minute, Rarity would splash some water on the rocks with her magic, so the entire room was filled with steam. Glass Slipper mimicked Bon Bon who took a deep breath whenever this happened, and after a while she felt her legs and her back relax. She kinda felt like a noodle that got softer as it was cooked, but when she told the other two, they just chuckled softly and told her that was normal, too. The whole idea was that the heat and steam would help her relax.

When Crystal Note joined them a few minutes later, Glass Slipper did feel relaxed. She giggled with the others when Crystal Note’s now clean but still damp mane frizzled up in the heat. Crystal Note lay down on a seat next to Glass Slipper and just closed her eyes as she let the heat and steam work their magic. For a while, it was only Rarity talking between new bursts of stream, but she didn’t mind doing all the talking nor did the other three mind listening.

After a while though, Rarity and Bon Bon declared they had their share now and would move on to the next treatment, but Crystal Note said she'd stay a few minutes longer. Glass Slipper, after a moment of hesitating, stayed as well. Crystal Note had her eyes closed and a peaceful smile, so Glass Slipper felt save enough to speak up.

“Crystal Note? Can I ask you something?”
Crystal Note kept her eyes closed and held back a sigh. Glass Slipper had been mulling about what to say for a while now, so Crystal Note knew that it was a very conscious decision to call her by her full name. She didn't know what that meant, other than that Glass Slipper somehow didn't trust her all the way.
That didn't mean that she wouldn't be listening and try help, of course. Whether Glass Slipper needed her as a mother right now or not, she had made that promise long before.

“Of course, dear. You can ask me anything.”
Glass Slipper took a deep breath. Crystal Note's voice was calm and soft like always, so she knew she wasn't angry with her at least. Now that she had started talking, she needed to go through with it, though.
“Um, the other day, I was talking with somepony and she told me that she had a big crush on somepony she just met.”
Inwardly, Crystal Note was smiling. Glass Slipper was in the age now where matters of the heart became increasingly important, but still were very confusing. Maybe that was the whole reason.

“I see. That's good for her, don't you think? Love is a wonderful thing, after all.”
“Um, sure. But that's not what I wanted to talk about.”
“Oh? Go on, then. What's on your mind, Angel?”
Glass Slipper smiled again, like always when Crystal Note used her pet name, it made her feel safe, even with what has been bothering her
“Well, um, that girl, um, she has... the pony she has a crush on... she's a filly. They both are.”
Glass Slipper blushed and waited for some reaction from the mare, but Crystal Note just kept waiting for the big revelation.
“And...?”
“And, nothing. That's it. She's a filly but she likes other fillies. Isn't that odd?”

Glass Slipper blushed deep red when Crystal Note started laughing. It took her a while to realize that she wasn't laughing at her, but had her melodious wind-chime laughter instead.
“Oh, Angel. Sometimes I forget you've been living in an ancient empire all your life.”
Crystal Note sat up and found Glass Slipper's eyes. Immediately, the filly felt her anxiety leave her when Crystal Note's calm smile reached her.
“I know it is not common in the Crystal Empire, but trust me, it's perfectly normal for a mare to love another mare. Some ponies back home wouldn't understand this, but it's been happening for centuries while we were away, all over Equestria. You simply love who you love, Glass Slipper.”

Glass Slipper was staring at her now, with her eyes wide open, and Crystal Note kept smiling calmly.
“You seem so surprised.”
“I... how can it be just normal? I've never heard of it ever! How does it even work?”
Crystal Note just giggled as her reply.
“Perhaps, this is something you can ask Lyra and Bon Bon. They are usually rather open about such things.”
Glass Slipper's eyes only opened wider, and her mouth hung open
“Wait, you mean... they are together? As in, together together? As in...”
“As in a romantic relationship, yes. They never married, but they've been a couple since before I've known them.”
Finally, Glass Slipper clamped her mouth shut again and she shook her head.
“I thought that was a joke they told for Sweetie Tooth and Velvet Heart!”
“Why would they joke about something like that, dear? Love isn't limited by something as trivial as gender. There are mares who love other mares, and stallions who love stallions, or even both.”
Both?

Crystal Note laughed gently and reached out to put her hoof on Glass Slipper’s shoulder
“Yes dear. If I've learned anything from being around Princess Cadance all these years, then it's that love exists in many different forms, any form you can imagine really.”
Glass Slipper was too baffled to think at the moment, so she just leaned into the hug and let Crystal Note hold her.
“Is that what you've been talking about with Rainbow Dash, dear?”
She just nodded, she didn't even wonder how Crystal Note knew.

Crystal Note held her for a while longer, until the last wisps of steam had already vanished.
“I know it's a little confusing, but it's nothing you need to worry about, Angel.”
Glass Slipper looked up at her, eyes full of fear.
“What if I... what if I felt that way?”
Crystal Note gently squeezed the filly in her embrace.
“That's perfectly okay, Glass Slipper. You're allowed to feel as you feel.”
She could literally feel as the tension left Glass Slipper, even though she looked away shyly
“I... I don't really know how I feel right now...”
“That's okay too. You have all the time in the world to figure these things out. Nopony is rushing you. And, Angel?”
At this, Glass Slipper looked up at her again, only to find loving smile.
“No matter how you decide, I'll be there to support you.”
Finally, Glass Slipper could smile again and leaned into the hug.
“Thanks, Mom.”

When Glass Slipper pulled back again, she felt a lot better already. Crystal Note said it was okay, so she was going to believe that. She also said that it was okay she needed time to figure things out, so she wouldn't need to do that right away. Instead, she sprawled out on the bench as Crystal Note splashed more water on the stones and filled the sauna with steam again. They stayed a few minutes longer, long enough for Glass Slipper to relax again, which was the whole point, and when they left the sauna, she felt a little wobbly on her hooves.

Lotus was there to take them for a quick shower, which was important for their circulation, whatever that meant, but Glass Slipper was fine with following along. She got a warm and soft towel to dry herself and then Lotus brought her back to the others. Rarity and Bon Bon had already sprawled out on some deck chairs, so Glass Slipper hopped on the empty one next to theirs. They had some greenish mud on their faces, and she could now see that Aloe applied the same stuff to Crystal Note as well and called it a rejuvenation mask. Meanwhile, Lotus and two other ponies came with hoof files and started giving Rarity and Bon Bon a hooficure.

So when Aloe approached her next, she already knew what to expect. The facial mask felt different, but nice and refreshing after the hot sauna. The scratching from the hoof file felt weird, but Aloe kept explaining what she was doing so it was okay, and it didn't take too long either. It was nice to rest up after the intense heat from the sauna and Glass Slipper even dozed away for a couple of minutes.

A soft nudge woke her up again as Aloe removed the facial mask with a warm towel. Aloe smiled and winked at her, to which Glass Slipper blushed and started to apologize, only to have Aloe intervene.
“Is quite alright, darling. You're here for relaxing and that's what you do.”
Glass Slipper nodded and smiled shyly at Aloe, who returned the smile whole-heartedly.
“Now darling, we have the other booked for mud baths next. A young thing like you doesn't need that yet, so how about you and me go to beauty section now? See if we can do something for your mane, yes?”

Glass Slipper nodded and got on her hooves to follow Aloe. She turned around to tell the others, but Rarity and Crystal Note hadn't noticed anything around them yet while Lotus Blossom now worked on their horns with her hoof file. The two unicorns looked like they enjoyed this a lot, but Glass Slipper looked away quickly again. It was just such a strange sight.

Aloe didn't let her dwell on it for too long as she soon had her seated in front of a large mirror and wheeled in a cart with all sorts of brushes, combs, and scissors. She began with a soft brush and worked through Glass Slipper's mane, visibly pleased.
“I see you take good care of yourself, darling.”
Glass Slipper, who enjoyed this a lot, smiled and nodded.
“That's good. Is soft as silk. Is something your mother can still learn from you.”

And all of a sudden, Glass Slipper felt her mood go sour and her smile faded. Aloe noticed as well even though she didn't stop working on her mane.
“I said something wrong, darling?”
“No, not really. It's just, why does everyone know so much about Crystal Note?”
Aloe just giggled and switched to another brush.
“Easy, darling. Ponyville is small town and ponies here love to gossip. Nothing stays hidden for long and Crissy, well, she stands out, poor dear.”
Glass Slipper nodded since that made sense to her, but Aloe kept going undeterred.
“But that's not what's bothering you, Glass Slipper. You still frown like old mare, doesn't suit you at all.”

Glass Slipper bit her lip and nodded again, more shyly this time. It felt strange to talk about Crystal Note who was her adoptive mother after all, with a pony she just met. But maybe that made Aloe the perfect pony to talk to, in a way, so she followed her gut instinct and whispered.
“I've learned a lot about Crystal Note, but I barely learned anything from her. It's always other ponies who tell me things about her. Why doesn't she ever tell me?”
Aloe made sure to keep up with her soft brushing so Glass Slipper would stay calm, and answered without much pondering.
“Crystal Note barely talks. She's been working here at the spa when she was living with Lyra and Miss Bon Bon. Never told us anything about herself in weeks, just quiet and played her music. Only talked when we would ask, and never more than needed. Is just how she is.”

Glass Slipper hesitated a little before she asked with another whisper.
“Okay, I get that, but now she's... she's our mom now, more or less. My sisters trust her with everything, but should we trust her if she's keeping secrets from us?”
“Is she?”
Glass Slipper tilted her head in confusion, at which Aloe only giggled very softly.
“Is a shy thing, Crystal Note. Always has been. You wouldn't guess when she's on stage or when she's working. When she set her mind on something, you would never think, but without that, she is. So maybe it's not secrets, maybe just too shy to talk.”

And then, she went back to working on the filly's mane, even though Glass Slipper was too lost in thoughts to notice much. Could it really be that simple? She's just shy and doesn't want to talk about herself? But Auntie Rose knows stuff she never told us. And everypony here in Ponyville too. So why...
“Why does everypony else know so much about her, then? Does she talk with everyone in Ponyville, but not me?”
This time, Aloe put the brush away and walked around so she could look at Glass Slipper
“We know because we've seen her for years, darling. We watched and picked up things. And we ask her when we don't understand her.”

Their eyes met and Aloe had a gentle smile for Glass Slipper
“Do you ask her about things?”
Glass Slipper blushed a little more and shook her head.
“Did you ever tell her that you think she's keeping secrets from you?”
Glass Slipper shook her head again and her head dipped down towards her hooves.
“Not really.”
“Then maybe when Crystal Note doesn't like to talk, you should.”

“But what if I say something that makes her angry or...”
Before Glass Slipper could go deeper into any rambling, Aloe touched her hoof and by that made her look up again.
“Has that happened since she became your mother?”
“No, but...”
“So you have no reason to think it will.”
Glass Slipper ended up just staring at Aloe, who was still smiling.
“You're not mind reader, and Crystal Note is not mind reader. You can't tell what she thinks unless you ask. She can't tell what you feel unless you tell. So next time, just talk. Okay?”

Glass Slipper looked at her for a whole minute, before she finally nodded. Somehow, Aloe had summed it all up in simple words that made sense. She thought back to the times she had talked with Crystal Note and how it matched up now. She had never given her any reason to doubt her, and she had never refused to tell her anything, on the few occasions she had asked. Maybe, it really was that simple.
Maybe Crystal Note just had to adjust being a mom as much as Glass Slipper had to the idea of having one again.

Aloe, once she saw Glass Slipper's smile, moved back behind her and effortlessly switched back into her usual chatter
“Now darling, you have so pretty natural curls, how about we spruce them up just a little?”
Still smiling, Glass Slipper nodded and focused back on her reflection in the mirror.
“I think I'd like that.”
“Wonderful. Here, I show you so you can do yourself when you're back home.”
They started discussing different manestyles as if their earlier conversation never had happened and when Glass Slipper joined the others again, she was still smiling.


The emergency spa day, as Rarity still called it, took a bit longer than expected, so by the time they returned to the castle, it was almost dinnertime again.

Decorations were finished by now and Glass Slipper stared in awe at the beautiful foyer and the main hall were everything was ready for the big party for tomorrow. She was admiring the huge Hearth’s Warming Tree when Crystal Note next to her giggled softly and drew her attention towards the group of ponies who walked in from another room.
“You look like you’ve run a marathon, dear. What happened?”
Sweetie Tooth walked up towards them and smiled, but she leaned heavily against Crystal Note when she pulled her into a soft hug. Glass Slipper giggled when she saw that her sister could barely keep her eyes open.

Since Sweetie Tooth was too tired to respond, Princess Twilight jumped in to explain.
“She’s been a great help with all the preparations, but she wore herself out. She tried to keep up with Pinkie Pie.”
Crystal Note laughed gently and nuzzled the filly in her hooves while Rarity exclaimed.
“But Darling, nopony can keep up with Pinkie Pie, especially not when Pinkie Pie has a party to plan.”
“That’s what I keep saying, but some little fillies wouldn’t listen to their aunt, ya know?”
Applejack chuckled and winked to Sweetie Tooth who just blew a raspberry at her. Before she would slump against Crystal Note, a touch of magic lifted her up and on her mother’s back, where she curled up instead.

Crystal Note just smiled and slowly followed the others.
“Speaking of fillies, where is Velvet Heart?”
“Starlight took her to the library some time ago, poor dear could barely keep her eyes open.”
With a nod, Crystal Note took the hallway that would lead her to the main library. She quietly stepped inside and what she saw brought another smile to her face.

Starlight Glimmer and Velvet Heart had squatted down on some cushioned seats, each with an enormous tome in front of her, even if neither of them was doing much reading. Starlight Glimmer glanced at the pages in front of her every now and then, but mostly she was watching Velvet Heart. The filly was slumbering with her book as a poor substitute for a pillow, she’d obviously fallen asleep in the middle of reading.
Starlight looked up when she heard Crystal Note’s hoofstep and the two mares shared a smile.

As quietly as she could, Crystal Note sneaked up on the filly and when she was close enough, she whispered right into her ear.
“Velvet Heart, wake up, dear.”
In an instant, Velvet’s eyes flew open, and she bolted into an upright position, with a desperate scream.
“I’m not sleeping in class!”
Both Starlight Glimmer and Crystal Note couldn’t help laughing, especially when Velvet Heart also blushed to a bright red once she regained her bearings. Crystal Note leaned down for a calming nuzzle which had Velvet smiling again quickly.
Sweetie Tooth, who was already drifting in and out of sleep, jerked up with a loud ‘eep’ as well and clung on Crystal Note’s neck not to fall off her back.

“I think we should all turn in early today. Tomorrow is going to be a big day, after all.”
Velvet Heart agreed with a nod, but Sweetie Tooth only slowly caught up.
“What’s tomorrow?”
Starlight Glimmer just giggled and used her magic to put away the book while she explained.
“It’s Hearth’s Warming Eve, Sweetie Tooth. There’s going to be get-togethers all over town, ponies singing carols and even a play! And of course, the big party here at the castle in the evening. You don’t want to miss out on the party, do you?”

Both fillies shook their heads and Crystal Note gently led them out of the library
“Me neither. So how about a quick snack for dinner, and then off to bed?”
Another set of nods got delayed by a big yawn from Velvet Heart and a round of giggles, then they headed back towards the big hall. By now, everypony else had already left, only Twilight, Spike and Glass Slipper joined them for a quick dinner.


Glass Slipper watched Crystal Note from the other side of the table during dinner. Thanks to her trip to the spa, she wasn’t that tired yet, unlike her little sisters. They each sat on one side of Crystal Note and dozed off a couple of times while the mare tried to coax them into eating a little at least.

While she made sure that Sweetie Tooth wouldn’t accidentally plant her face on her plate, Crystal Note was casually chatting with Princess Twilight and Starlight Glimmer about something, but Glass Slipper didn’t really pay attention to it. Instead, she watched how Crystal Note refilled Velvet Heart’s cup and with a gentle smile made her little sister drink up. She didn’t drop out of her conversation, and she didn’t seem bothered that the twins needed a little more attention tonight.

Glass Slipper couldn’t help but think back to the first awkward meals they had shared together, when everything had been so strange and new and unfamiliar. Now, Velvet and Sweetie didn’t have any reservations towards Crystal Note’s care anymore and to Crystal Note, everything she did just seemed natural. Just like a real Mom.

Glass Slipper smiled when she thought that, it seemed weird to think of Crystal Note as anything else for the twins by now. There was still a very distinct difference between Crystal Note and their mother, but instead of seeing the differences like she had before, Glass Slipper now saw the similarities far more clearly. It was a good feeling, even if Glass Slipper couldn’t embrace it fully for herself yet. But she knew that this was okay, because Crystal Note told her so. It’s okay to feel how I feel. I can figure things out and nopony is rushing me.

Dinner didn’t last too long, not with two very sleepy fillies, and Crystal Note took them upstairs to the bedrooms right away. Glass Slipper, who didn’t feel like retiring yet, instead joined Princess Twilight, Starlight Glimmer and Spike. The four of them moved to a living room with a flickering fireplace, just like they had at home, and got comfy. Princess Twilight and Spike got some reading material, but Starlight Glimmer was just silently watching the flames. Glass Slipper watched them for a while, also keeping quiet so she wouldn’t disturb them.

When it became clear that Crystal Note wouldn’t return, Glass Slipper shifted a little in her seat and let out a little yawn. That got Starlight’s attention to her, and the mare smiled
“Are you getting tired, Glass Slipper?”
The filly shook her head and smiled
“Not that much yet. It’s just, ever since we went to the spa, my legs feel kinda gooey and I don’t want to get up.”
Starlight Glimmer chuckled and nodded at this.
“Ah, say no more. I remember the first time I experienced one of Aloe’s famous massages. It was pure heaven! I never felt more relaxed, and I swear it lasted all week long.”

Glass Slipper giggled along with Starlight and smiled. Somehow, it felt different talking with Starlight compared to Applejack or Bon Bon or most of the others. Starlight Glimmer didn't act like she was an aunt or a big sister like the rest of Crystal Note's friends did. Most importantly, she didn't treat Glass Slipper like a child, instead she talked to her like with everypony else. Glass Slipper probably wouldn't admit this if asked, but like any teenager would, she enjoyed being treated like an equal, especially by an accomplished mare like Starlight Glimmer.

So while Starlight seemed contend to go back watching the flames, Glass Slipper tried to think of a reason to get this conversation going. Her eyes feel on the door through which Crystal Note and her sisters had left, and she took it.
“I guess Crystal Note won't be coming down again tonight. She probably went to bed already.”
Instead of an answer, Glass Slipper saw Starlight Glimmer and Princess Twilight exchange a weird look. Starlight started giggling and Princess Twilight just rolled her eyes, but with a smile.
“I'm pretty sure Crystal Note won't be coming down tonight, but I doubt that she's sleeping.”
Now even Spike joined in with a grin of his own.
“Yeah, that would be a first.”
At this, they all laughed together, except for Glass Slipper.

Just like back in the spa, she got that sour taste in her mouth again. The three clearly knew something about Crystal Note that was really obvious, but Glass Slipper didn't. Even though Crystal Note lived in the same house as her and was the closest pony she had, beside her sisters of course. Why did everypony know so much about the mare who was more or less her mom, and she didn't?

Glass Slipper remembered what Aloe had told her in the spa, that she couldn't expect anypony to know what she felt if she didn't talk about it. So, after a few moments, she just did.
“Why do you think Crystal Note isn't sleeping?”
She looked away a bit embarrassed, but the others didn't seem concerned by her question. In fact, Starlight Glimmer was still chuckling a little as she explained.
“Well, Crystal Note will be performing at the Hearths Warming party tomorrow. She always spends the nights before to practice and prepare.”
Princess Twilight nodded along.
“I told her she doesn’t have to prepare since it’s just a small gathering of friends and not a real concert, but she won’t listen. She always wants to do her best once she agreed to something.”

Glass Slipper nodded absently, but her eyes kept wandering to the door.
“I think I understand. Um, would it be okay if I go and watch?”
Princess Twilight had a soft smile for her and nodded.
“I think she would like that a lot, Glass Slipper.”

With that, Glass Slipper just got up and headed straight up the stairs. She passed their bedrooms, but she didn’t hear any music, so she carefully opened the door to peek inside, in case Crystal Note was sleeping.

She saw a strange light, and then she understood. Crystal Note was still awake, but she had put on the same dome of light she had used in their old home once. Glass Slipper even remembered the name, bubble of silence. That was why she couldn’t hear any music, even though Crystal Note was playing her violin inside the bubble.

Since knocking wouldn’t work, Glass Slipper just took a deep breath and walked through the barrier. She felt a slight tingle as she passed through the magic, and she heard the music. She smiled and listened for a while as Crystal Note played, with her eyes closed as usual. Crystal Note always got lost in her music and wouldn’t notice anything that happened around her. That was something Glass Slipper could understand. She felt the same way when she was dancing.

Crystal Note must have noticed something though, because once her song was finished, she opened her eyes and smiled at Glass Slipper.
“Getting ready for bed, Glass Slipper?”
She shook her head with a shy blush.
“No, um, I just wanted to listen. And maybe talk to you?”
“Of course, dear. You can always talk to me, about anything.”

Glass Slipper didn’t say anything though, so Crystal Note started to play another song. The soft sound of the violin somehow helped Glass Slipper calm down, and after a couple of minutes she felt brave enough to say something.
“I barely know anything about you.”
Crystal Note opened her eyes, but she kept playing even though her focus was now on Glass Slipper, who squirmed a bit under her eyes.
“I mean, sure I know some things, but it seems like everypony in Ponyville knows a lot more. Everypony I talk to tells me things about you I didn’t know. And it’s weird.”
“And why is that, Glass Slipper?”

Crystal Note was still playing, but Glass Slipper couldn’t look at her for what she had to say next.
“I mean, you’re our Mom. Sweetie and Velvet trust you, and I want to trust you, but can I when I don’t know everything about you? When you’re maybe even keeping secrets from us?”
The music stopped abruptly, and Glass Slipper looked up, worried. She had no reason, since Crystal Note didn’t look angry at all, more like she was worried.
“Glass Slipper, I never knew you felt that way. I’m not keeping any secrets from you, not by design. I just, I didn’t want to overwhelm you.”
Glass Slipper just nodded and looked away again.
“I didn’t want to be nosey, but…”
“But I didn’t really share much about myself, either. It’s no excuse, but other than Rose Quartz, barely anypony at home knows a lot about me. I tell them stories about the places I’ve been, about travelling and my music, but compared to that, I’m just a very boring pony.”

Glass Slipper looked up again and tilted her head.
“How can you be boring? Everypony knows about you.”
Crystal Note, now setting down her violin, gave a weak smile.
“That’s not the same. Think of Rarity, she has a radiant presence, when she enters a room, she draws all eyes to her and everypony hangs on her lips. Or Pinkie Pie, she’s got so much energy and she can cheer up ponies who just look her way. If I don’t play music, ponies barely even notice I’m in the room.”

Glass Slipper giggled along with Crystal Note
“I don’t think your invisible.”
Crystal Note smiled and winked.
“Then you must be very attentive, Glass Slipper. Or incredibly curious.”
They laughed together, and the last of the weird feeling fell off Glass Slipper.

“Is there anything you’d like to know, Slipper?”
“Um, what’s your favourite colour?”
Crystal Note giggled a little, as if she hadn’t expected a question like that.
“I like green. Like the first leaves in spring.”
Glass Slipper nodded and fired the next question.
“What’s your favourite food?”
“Apple pie.”
Glass Slipper tilted her head.
“Really?”
“Really. I told you, I’m pretty boring. I also like daisy sandwiches, but I’m not very picky when it comes to food.”
“Huh.”

Glass Slipper asked about a couple more things, as if they were playing 20 questions, but she mostly got plain answers from Crystal Note. After a couple of minutes, she tried something else.
“Tell me something nopony else knows. Something nopony ever asked you before.”
Crystal Note thought about that for a minute, looking at the violin she was still holding in her hooves. Glass Slipper wondered if she had crossed a line with that question, but eventually Crystal Note had an answer.
“I don’t really like tea.”
“What?”

Glass Slipper just stared at her.
“But you drink tea like all the time. And you don’t like it?”
“I guess I like it okay enough, but I never thought ‘Wow, I really need a cup of tea now.’ I keep switching blends and flavours ever so often so I can tolerate it, but it’s never my favourite. I mostly drink it because it’s good for my voice.”
“Good for your voice?”
Crystal Note nodded and smiled.
“I’m a singer, Slipper. Just like I need to take care of my violin, I need to take care of my voice as well. And warm tea with honey is good for keeping my voice. A doctor told me once, so I keep drinking it. Nopony ever asked me about it.”

Glass Slipper laughed and shook her head.
“I never thought of that. I always thought you like tea.”
“But now you know better than everypony else. Sometimes things aren’t always the way they look. Especially here in Ponyville.”
They could both giggle, and Crystal Note picked up her violin again. Glass Slipper listened to the slow melody that would be terrible for dancing but seemed perfect to just sit and listen.

Crystal Note closed her eyes again, like almost always when she played. Glass Slipper always thought that Crystal Note did that to block out everything except her music, so nothing could distract her, but she had clearly heard Glass Slipper when she had walked into the magic bubble. It was like Crystal Note could think better when she played music. Glass Slipper thought back of other talks they had in the past, and how often her mom had started playing music while they talked.

Glass Slipper finally learned something about her mom, something that nopony had told her before. Whenever Crystal Note played music, she wasn’t blocking out something. She was trying to add something only she could, for everyone else to enjoy. Music helped her find the right words, music helped her sort out her own feelings, but it also helped everypony who was listening to do the same. Glass Slipper remembered all the times her mom had played or sung for them, and every occasion grew just a little more special, now that she knew.

She didn’t have to tell her mom she figured it out. Crystal Note wasn’t a mare of many words. She didn’t like to talk about herself, but everypony who listened could tell all they need to know about her. Like the ponies in Ponyville, or like Glass Slipper now knew too.

“Are you going to play at the party tomorrow, Mom?”
Crystal Note didn’t say anything, but Glass Slipper noticed how special it felt to her whenever she called her ‘Mom’. She knew, because it felt special to her just as much, and after tonight maybe even a little more so.

“Of course I will be playing. It wouldn’t be a party without music, after all.”
Glass Slipper giggled and Crystal Note opened her eyes again to look at her, while the tune was still playing.
“And are you going to dance at the party?”
Glass Slipper nodded and clapped her hooves together.
“If you play, I’m going to dance!”
“That’s very sweet of you, Glass Slipper. But don’t just dance for me. Dance for yourself, dance because it’s what you like to do. I would love nothing more than to see you, and your sisters, have lots of fun tomorrow.”
“Uh-huh.”

Glass Slipper mumbled through a yawn, a real one this time.
“Are you going to turn in soon?”
“Yes dear, right after this song. Do you want me to tuck you in?”
A blush on her cheeks, Glass Slipper nodded shyly.
“If that’s okay.”
“Of course, dear. It will always be okay.”
“Thanks, Mom.”

PreviousChapters Next