• Published 28th Dec 2018
  • 469 Views, 26 Comments

Crystal Note - Where life leads us - TalkingToMyself



After years of travelling all over Equestira, Crystal Note returns to live in the Crystal Empire, her old home. When a tragic event throws the life of three fillies out of balance, Crystal Note is there to help.

  • ...
 26
 469

PreviousChapters Next
Worry and Care - the only chapter

Crystal Note watched the winter weather from a window in her music room. Although the protective barrier of the crystal heart held back most of the snow and icy winds, a few glittery flakes still waved through the air and made the city look even more sparkly than usual. Crystal Note could feel the chill from outside even through the closed window as she watched the sun almost touch the western horizon.

The musician pony smiled as she retreated deeper into the mansion that was her home, grateful for the warmth that was kept within the crystalline walls. She walked down the stairs into the large living room. Nopony except her was at home right now, but she still had a flickering fireplace going to keep the room cosy. In the kitchen, a pot of hot chocolate was almost ready. She knew three fillies who would most certainly appreciate it once they came back home.

As if on cue, the front door flew open and Sweetie Tooth, Velvet Heart and Glass Slipper stormed inside. The two young twins threw off their scarves and boots and scampered into the living room, both claiming a cushion right in front of the fireplace. Glass Slipper, always the responsible big sister, smiled and put everything back to its place before she walked into the room after them. Just at the same time as Crystal Note returned from the kitchen.

The twins smiled to their caretaker who returned it warmly. Glass Slipper received a gentle hug from Crystal Note, as she was closest, then accepted a mug of hot chocolate. With her magic, the crystal unicorn levitated two more mugs to the twins who squealed happily at the sweet and warming beverage. Although this was one of the customs Crystal Note had picked up during her time in Ponyville, the crystal ponies enjoyed hot chocolate a lot, especially on a cold day like this.

Crystal Note and Glass Slipper started talking about their day, as usual. Meanwhile, the twins lounged in the warmth of the fireplace and eagerly sipped their drinks while whispering to each other.
Glass Slipper was just talking about her dancing lessons when Crystal Note picked up an unpleasant sound. Her ears perked up and she turned towards the fireplace when she heard another cough from one of the twins. Sweetie Tooth had to set away her mug as a bad cough shook her small form. Crystal Note could tell this was not from getting her drink down the wrong way, she could hear the strain behind it clearly.

With a concerned expression, she walked over to the twins while Sweetie Tooth was still coughing. Velvet Heart watched worried and moved when her caretaker approached. Crystal Note gently rubbed Sweetie Tooth's back to ease the coughing
"Sweetie, are you alright?"
The filly nodded but she didn't look too convincing. When she was pulled into a gentle hug, she leaned against the mare she had learned to trust so much. She looked confused when she saw a deeply worried expression from Crystal Note. The mare gently put her hoof on the filly's chest, taking a few deep, slow breaths. The filly mimicked those breathes and Crystal Note's worry grew when she felt the strain from Sweetie Tooth and heard the dry, wheezing breaths.

Crystal Note pulled Sweetie Tooth closer and wrapped her hooves around her when another coughing fit shook the filly
"That doesn't sound good, Sweetie."
She put her hoof on her forehead and frowned
"You have a little temperature as well, dear."
Sweetie Tooth leaned against Crystal Note and Velvet Heart stepped closer, worried as well
"She’s been coughing in school, too."
The mare smiled softly and leaned to nuzzle her charge gently while holding Sweetie Tooth in her hug. She looked up towards the oldest of the fillies
"Glass Slipper, would you be a darling and run to the hospital? See if Doctor Caring Hoof is still in and please ask her if she can come over."
Glass Slipper noticed the serious undertone in Crystal Note's gentle voice. She nodded and quickly hurried out through the front door again.

Velvet Heart watched with big eyes and whispered
"Why do you want the doctor to come here?"
Crystal Note tried her best with a reassuring smile
"It's probably nothing, Velvet. But I want to be sure."
Velvet Heart nodded and Crystal Note gently helped Sweetie Tooth on her hooves
"Come on, Munchkin. We better get you in bed."
Sweetie Tooth coughed and nodded. When they reached the stairs, Crystal Note used a gentle levitation spell to pick up the weakened filly. Velvet Heart rushed up ahead and opened the door to the twin's bedroom, but Crystal Note just shook her head and carried Sweetie Tooth to her own bedroom instead. If Sweetie Tooth really was ill, taking her to the room she shared with her sister didn’t seem a good idea. Her own room only held a single bed, on which she gently placed the filly. Away from the fireplace and without the magic glow, Sweetie Tooth started shivering, so Crystal Note quickly tucked her under the covers.

Sweetie Tooth curled up under the warm blankets and smiled when she felt Crystal Note's soothing touch on her forehead again. The mare frowned as the fever seemed to rise even in such a short time. Next to them, Velvet Heart was watching with more and more concern
"What's going on, Crystal Note?"
Crystal Note sighed and gently ran her hoof down Velvet's mane to soothe her
"She's going to be alright, dear. But what about you? Are you feeling good?"
Velvet Heart nodded, her eyes still on her twin sister, even as Crystal Note pulled her into a soft hug and felt her forehead with her hoof. Crystal Note sighed relieved, as Velvet didn't seem to have a fever. She gently squeezed the worried filly and nuzzled the top of her head
"Everything is going to be fine, dear. No need to be scared, okay?"

Velvet Heart looked up at that, more confused than anything. Crystal Note’s eyes were still fixed on Sweetie Tooth, and finally the filly understood why she felt so uneasy. Crystal Note wasn’t just worried, the mare seemed deeply afraid. Velvet had never seen this expression on Crystal Note before, usually she was calm and collected and always smiling. Velvet didn’t like the thought that something made Crystal Note feel scared, especially when it had to do with Sweetie Tooth.
Velvet Heart wrapped her hooves tightly around her caretaker, and Crystal Note looked down surprised. Velvet almost never accepted more than a quick hug and her goodnight kiss, but now she pressed tightly into the hug. Crystal Note instinctively held her more firmly and thought about the right words to soothe the filly, but Velvet Heart’s next word took her by complete surprise
“You don’t get to be scared either! We’ll make sure she gets better, okay!”

Crystal Note felt a warm wave wash over her and her lips curled into a smile. Velvet Heart was worried about her sister like herself, but still the keen filly had picked up that Crystal Note needed a hug like this right now. Her heart opened wide as the young filly made this attempt to calm her worries. In a rush of attachment and maternal pride, she leaned down to plant a gentle kiss on Velvet’s head
“You’re right, little gem. And I know just what we can do.”

She glanced over to Sweetie Tooth who had calmed down after her coughing. Her eyes were closed as if sleeping, but Crystal Note noticed from the wheezing breaths that the filly was just too exhausted to move right now. At least the shivering had stopped.
Crystal Note released Velvet Heart from her embrace with some reluctance from both. As quietly as they could, they snuck out of the room and back down the stairs to the kitchen. Velvet jumped on the small stool Sweetie Tooth usually used when she helped cooking and put on the teakettle while Crystal Note rummaged through the cabinets. When she emerged again, she levitated a wooden box to the counter. Velvet looked at it curiously, wood was not a common material in the Crystal Empire after all. On the side of the box, the design of an apple was carved into the wood and when she leaned closer, she picked up a spicy scent.

Crystal Note opened the box and Velvet Heart stared at the mix of dried leaves and herbs inside, with small bits of fruit in between it seemed
“What’s that?”
“That is Granny Smith’s special cure-all tea mix. Whenever a member of the Apple family gets sick, they get a brew of this. Granny Smith claims it helps for everything from toothache over broken legs to itchy coat, all because of its secret ingredient.”
She glanced left and right to check that nopony was eavesdropping and leaned close to the filly with a whisper
“The secret ingredient is apples, but shh!”
Velvet Heart giggled as Crystal Note pretended to zip her lips shut with her hoof. They both grinned and winked. By now, the kettle was ready and Crystal Note filled the big teapot with a good amount of tea to brew over. After a few minutes, she filled a big mug with the red liquid. With her magic, she picked up the honeypot that stood on the upper shelf, out of reach for any fillies. While Velvet Heart watched, just a tad jealous, Crystal Note added a generous dollop of honey.

When they returned to Sweetie Tooth, Velvet noticed right away that Crystal Note’s expression changed to scared-worried again. She gently nudged the mare with her head, for which she received a smile.
Crystal Note sat down on the edge of the bed next to Sweetie Tooth just as the filly opened her eyes again
“Hey Munchkin, how are you feeling?”
“Cold…”
Despite the warm blankets, Sweetie Tooth was shivering again
“Here, this will help you get warm again, Sweetie Tooth.”
She helped the filly sit up and levitated the mug of honeyed tea into her hooves. She kept the magic in place and helped Sweetie Tooth take small sips of the warm drink. At some point, Sweetie Tooth turned her head away but Crystal Note still insisted
“Come on, Sweetie. The tea will help you with your cough, try to drink a little more.”
Velvet Heart watched her twin sister and understood that she also noticed the tinge of fear in Crystal Note’s voice this time. Reluctantly, she reached for the mug again and finished her tea with a few big gulps.

Crystal Note smiled with some relief and thanked her filly with a soft kiss on her forehead, which made both sisters smile.
Velvet Heart heard voices from downstairs and poked her head into the hallway
“We’re up here!”
Glass Slipper jumped upstairs, followed by a mare with a white doctor’s coat and a stethoscope around her neck. She had a soft smile for the nervous filly and went into the room with her patient. Behind her, Velvet also saw Ruby Rose, the mother of her friend Ivory Rose, walking towards them. The mare carried a large black bag in her mouth and she wore a white cap with a red cross on her head.

The red-coated mare smiled at both sisters before she slipped into the room as well. Glass Slipper and Velvet Heart waited outside, but since the door was open, they peeked inside and listened
“Doctor, I’m so glad to see you. Thank you for coming this late.”
“Good evening, Crystal Note, and no worries at all. Now, let’s have a look at our little patient.”

Crystal Note climbed off the bed to make room for the doctor, who smiled at a now very nervous Sweetie Tooth. Velvet could relate to that, last time they had seen Doctor Caring Hoof was in the hospital with needles when they got their shots. This time though, the doctor only smiled friendly and asked a few questions. From time to time, she asked for something and Ruby Rose would give the doctor an instrument from the large medicine bag.
Velvet Heart watched as the doctor had Sweetie Tooth open her mouth as wide as she could, peeked into her ears with a small metal thingy and poked a few spots on her neck and chest to see if she was in any pain.
Finally, she asked Sweetie Tooth to take some deep breaths while she listened with her stethoscope. The doctor seemed focused with a neutral expression, but when Sweetie Tooth started coughing again, her brow furrowed into a frown
“Hm. Thermometer, please.”
Ruby Rose handed another tool to the doctor. While the two mares from the hospital stayed calm and professional, Velvet could see that Crystal Note got more worried with every minute that passed.

The doctor glanced at the thermometer and showed it to Ruby Rose as well. The nurse sighed softly and nodded in confirmation to the doctor. That was the point when Crystal Note’s worry went to overdrive
“How is she, Doctor? Is it something serious?”
The doctor shook her head and scribbled a few notes on a chart before she answered
“I’m afraid Sweetie Tooth got herself a nasty case of the flu.”
Velvet didn’t know what ‘the flu’ was, but Glass Slipper gasped next to her. Crystal Note immediately lost all the sparkles of her coat at stared at the doctor with wide eyes
“Are you sure, Doctor?”
“Yes. Do you know if she ever had the flu before?”
Crystal Note shook her head, her eyes drawn back to the filly in the bed
“I… I don’t know. I suppose not. Are you sure it’s the flu and nothing else? What are we going to do now?”

Sweetie Tooth started to shiver in her bed when Crystal Note stared at her, so worried and scared all of a sudden. She pulled the covers over her head so she didn’t have to see, but she could still hear the fear in her voice
“Is there anything we can do, Doctor? Can you help her?”
Doctor Caring Hoof stayed calm and gathered her things back into the bag. Ruby Rose put a gentle hoof on Crystal Note’s shoulder, but she barely even noticed while staring at the bed
“Well, she’s in for a few rough nights, that’s for sure. Her fever will raise some more while her body fights back the illness. I recommend bedrest, lots of liquid and any food she will eat. Make sure she stays warm all the time.”

The doctor got ready to leave, but Crystal Note grabbed her hoof before she could turn around
“Wait, that’s all? There is nothing you can do? Don’t you have any medicine for her, or a fever cure or transplantation or anything that…”
“Crystal Note!”
The doctor interrupted the crystal unicorn’s rambling with an impressive efficiency
“You need to stay calm. Her fever is not that high yet, nothing to worry about. She’s a strong filly, so it’s best to let her body deal with this by itself. If her fever won’t go down the day after tomorrow, we’ll think about some medicine. But until then, I need you to stay calm. Understood?”
Crystal Note nodded in a way that reminded Velvet a lot of her big sister when she got scolded by her teacher, but that worry in her eyes still didn’t fade.

Doctor Caring Hoof sighed and nodded
“Good. Nurse Ruby Rose will stay and see if she can help you set up things for tonight. Unfortunately, I’m needed at the hospital again, so I need to go now. Take care, Crystal Note.”
She put her hoof gently on Sweetie Tooth’s head who was still hidden under the covers
“And you get well again quickly, Sweetie Tooth. I’ll be back in a couple of days to check on you again, alright?”
When she saw a nod under the blanket, the doctor picked up the bag and left the room, with a kind smile to the fillies outside.

Glass Slipper and Velvet Heart walked into the room, but Ruby Rose stopped them
“Could you girls set up a kettle for tea, please? I’ll be down with Crystal Note in just a minute.”
Glass Slipper nodded and took Velvet Heart’s hoof to guide her downstairs.
Once the fillies were gone, Ruby Rose fixed the distraught mare with a worried look. Under the blanket, Sweetie Tooth had to cough again, but before Crystal Note could rush to her, Ruby Rose gently pulled her out of the room
“Crystal Note, we need to talk.”
“But…”
“No. Come with me, please.”
Crystal Note obediently followed the nurse out of the room. As soon as she was sure that neither of the fillies could hear her, Ruby Rose turned around. Startled by the absolute worry she saw on her friend’s face, she put a gentle hoof on her shoulder
“What’s wrong, Crystal Note? This isn’t like you at all.”
“I’m just worried, Ruby Rose.”
“Exactly. Even when you’re worried, you’re always calm. You can deal with a room full of Cutie Mark Crusaders and not once you have to even raise your voice. Why is this working you up so much?”

Crystal Note looked away for a moment and Ruby Rose gasped when the silvery-white mare in front of her suddenly took a greyish colour. She knew Crystal Note was more susceptible to the change, mostly because she was a crystal unicorn and her unicorn magic tapped into the crystal magic that changed her appearance through emotions. But until now, she hadn’t realized how worried Crystal Note really was
“Do you remember Daisy Blossom, Ruby Rose? From before?”
Ruby Rose knew immediately what the mare meant with ‘before’ and indeed, she recognized that name. In the time before the curse, her grandmother had been a midwife. When the king had confiscated all medicine for his growing army, many ponies had turned to her for help. Ruby Rose had always accompanied her grandmother when she snuck from house to house to help parents and foals with her herbal remedies and old knowledge. Ruby Rose had learned as much as she could from her grandmother and when Princess Cadance had announced the rebuilding of a hospital, she had been one of the first to volunteer to help and became a nurse.

Daisy Blossom had been one of the most tragic things Ruby Rose had seen as a filly. She had been weak from birth on, since her mother barely had enough food even with the help of others. At the age of six, the filly had fallen terribly ill with the flu. Even with her grandmother’s herbs, Daisy Blossom did not survive and her heartbroken mother had passed only hours after, out of pure grief ponies had said back then.

Ruby Rose took a step forward and wrapped her hooves around her friend. Crystal Note stared blankly ahead, into the past and whispered
“I was there when Daisy Blossom… when she passed on. And now, when I look at Sweetie Tooth in that bed, I keep seeing her instead. And I feel helpless, like back then, all over again.”
Crystal Note clenched her eyes shut and Ruby Rose watched how the mare willed herself not to cry, not when her fillies could find her. Like any good mother, her personal grief had to wait until she was sure the kids were alright.

Ruby Rose sighed and pulled back after a few moments
“Listen, I know this is hard but you have to understand. You did all you could to help Daisy Blossom, but it didn’t work back then. Now, you have to do what you can to help Sweetie Tooth. Even if it’s just feeding her soup and making sure she stays in bed.”
Crystal Note took a deep breath and steadied herself, even though she couldn’t banish all of the greyish tinge in her coat
“You’re right, I need to pull myself together now. For the girls.”
Ruby Rose smiled knowingly and touched her hoof with her own
“I know it’s not easy, trust me I know. When Ivory Rose was ill for the first time, I completely lost it. It’s always bad the first time, especially the flu.”
More or less reassured, Crystal Note followed Ruby Rose to the kitchen. Glass Slipper and Velvet Heart had already set up the kettle for tea. The three ponies listened attentively as Ruby Rose explained what kind of tea would help best and together they prepared a healthy soup for Sweetie Tooth as well.


Crystal Note sat on the cushion next to her bed and watched Sweetie Tooth’s sleeping form. She only had the moonlight from outside, but it was enough to see her chest rise and fall with each breath.

Glass Slipper and Velvet Heart would go to school early next morning, so after a quick dinner, Glass Slipper had retired to her room and Crystal Note had tucked in the younger filly. Instead of a bedtime story, Velvet Heart kept asking many questions about doctors and nurses, as well as medicine and the flu. Crystal Note answered them as well as she could and tried her best to diffuse Velvet’s fears. In the end, they repeated their promise to help Sweetie Tooth get better together and when Crystal Note kissed her forehead like every night, Velvet fell asleep with a smile.

Sweetie Tooth had been coughing a lot during the night, but she had eaten some of the soup and drunken three cups of herbal tea with honey. Crystal Note stayed with her all the time and as the doctor had predicted, Sweetie Tooth’s temperature kept rising still. Eventually, Crystal Note had managed to calm the filly with some of her favourite lullabies, and now she was sleeping for a few hours at least.

A little whimper from the bed pulled Crystal Note out of her thoughts and to the side of the bed again. Sweetie Tooth was tossing around in her sleep and her mane was streaked with sweat. Crystal Note lit up her horn just a little for some light and gently dapped the filly’s forehead with a tissue. For a moment, the discomfort faded from Sweetie Tooth’s face and made room for a small smile, but far too soon, she was whimpering and tossing again.
Crystal Note leaned down towards her but whatever she wanted to say faded when she heard Sweetie Tooth mumble in her sleep. Crystal Note leaned closer and could make out some of the mumbles
“Mommy… Mommy…”
Crystal Note smiled and was about to answer, but the next mumble again took away her words and had her freeze up entirely
“Daddy? Mommy? Don’t leave… please…”

Crystal Note could only watch helplessly as Sweetie Tooth sobbed in her fever driven dreams.
For one slight second, Crystal Note had believed that the filly was calling out to her. Sweetie Tooth had already called her ‘Mommy’ before, albeit in secret, but she knew she had a spot in her heart. Of course, no matter how much she would hope and pretend, she could not change the truth.
She was not Sweetie Tooth’s real mother. Not the mare she called for. Sweetie Tooth was dreaming of her real parents of course and nothing Crystal Note did would ever bring them back. All she could do was watch as Sweetie Tooth cried in her sleep
“Mommy? Mommy? Please, Mommy.”
Her heart wept as she shared the filly’s pain and felt it twice as bad in herself. At some point, Sweetie Tooth tossed around and desperately reached out for somepony, anypony
“Mommy… please don’t leave me, too…”

Sweetie Tooth’s voice cut deep into the mare’s heart. She could feel the filly’s desperation and her fear so clearly. It was unbearable. She felt her own heart break with each sob. Sweetie Tooth was suffering all by herself. Unable to take it even a second longer, Crystal Note wrapped her hooves around the filly and pulled her into her embrace. No fear was strong enough to stop her and she realized. She knew she would never be able to stand seeing Sweetie Tooth in pain ever again. She would never hold back again when she saw her filly in tears or in fear.
Her voice and her heart reached out for Sweetie Tooth as attachment, worry and care turned into something stronger, something unconditional and absolute
“Shh, Sweetie Tooth. I’m here. I’m here. I’m not leaving, I’m never leaving you, my little filly.”
My little filly. Her heart told her this was true. She may not be the mare Sweetie Tooth had called for, but she was the mare the filly needed right now. She was the only one who could help her, the only one who could fill the empty spot.
Sweetie Tooth stopped shivering and tossing. All the whimpering stopped, although tears kept running down her cheeks into Crystal Note’s coat
“Mommy! Mommy!”
Crystal Note climbed on the bed and curled herself around her filly. She would never let her feel alone, she would protect her from all the dark and cold in the world, until the end of time. Her heart fell back into place and Crystal Note followed its decision with soft whispered words
“I’m here, Sweetie. Mommy’s here. Mommy’s here for you.”
Sweetie Tooth cried in joy as she basked in the warmth and love from her mommy, and Crystal Note shared every tear of her daughter. Both of them knew, even through a haze of fever and doubts, that this was right. This was what they wanted to be, mother and daughter, heart to heart. Without saying, they knew they would never keep this a secret anymore.

They stayed like this for the rest of the night, Crystal Note curled around her daughter and Sweetie Tooth sleeping peacefully in her mother’s embrace. In the soft light of the moon from outside, sparkles danced over their crystalline forms.


When Crystal Note woke up again, the sun was already high up. She stirred and turned her head out of the light. She hadn’t slept this well in months and she wanted to doze a little longer, especially with this wonderful warmth in her heart.
Eventually, she opened one eye to look at the filly in her embrace. Sweetie Tooth was still slumbering, nuzzled into her mother’s coat. Crystal Note could still hear the wheezing breaths, but the feverish nightmares hadn’t returned at least. She felt her daughter’s forehead with a hoof and a small frown appeared. Sweetie Tooth was still burning up and her mane was sweaty.

Slowly to not disturb her sleeping filly, Crystal Note climbed out of the bed and pulled the blankets around Sweetie Tooth so she wouldn’t get cold. Since the sun was already this high, she didn’t need a clock to know she overslept quite a bit. The house was empty as expected, so Crystal Note made her way to the kitchen. She smiled when she found the table set up for breakfast, with a note on her seat. Glass Slipper and Velvet Heart had left for school and they would inform the teacher. On the stove, a pot of herbal tea was kept warm along with some oatmeal.
Crystal Note smiled brightly and the warmth she felt in her heart flared up a little more. She’d have to find a way to thank Glass Slipper and Velvet Heart for being such wonderful sisters.

With a tray full of healthy breakfast in her magic grip and a smile on her face, Crystal Note returned to the bedroom. The smile wavered when she saw the lump of blankets instead of a slumbering filly
“Sweetie Tooth?”
A shiver ran through the lump, then the blankets flew to the side and Sweetie Tooth lunged at her. Crystal Note nearly dropped the tray when the filly threw her over, hooves tightly wrapped around her middle. Her own hooves circled the shivering form in a comforting hug and she felt Sweetie Tooth nuzzle in closer
“You weren’t there.”
The tray floated to the nightstand as Crystal Note sat up while holding her filly close. She heard a sniffle and a sob
“I woke up but you weren’t there.”
“Shh, Sweetie. Mommy’s here now.”
The soothing affirmation managed to keep the filly from crying, but she kept clinging on Crystal Note nonetheless. The mare held the filly close to her heart, gently rubbing her hoof down her back
“Sweetie, even if you can’t see me, I’m still there. I’m not leaving you.”
The filly glanced up and sniffled softly
“Promise?”
Crystal Note just smiled and nodded
“I promise.”

Sweetie Tooth smiled. It was a weak smile, her mane was messy and her eyes were glassy from the fever. Still, Crystal Note noticed the change. After weeks of dodging and pretending, they both knew that this was right. Nothing would change entirely, but everything would be different from now on, as Sweetie Tooth had a mother once again and Crystal Note now was ready to be the mother her filly needed and deserved.

Their moment was cut short when Sweetie Tooth broke into coughing again. Crystal Note also felt the shivering from the filly, so she quickly tucked her daughter under the warm blankets again, although they were soaked with sweat.
Together, they finally had some breakfast, even if Sweetie Tooth barely ate anything and Crystal Note had to coax her into drinking some more tea.

Since Sweetie Tooth still felt cold, Crystal Note drew a warm bath for her. Instead of the usual bubble bath, she added some bathing salts and scented oils to help the filly relax and breathe more easily. While Sweetie Tooth soaked in the warm water, Crystal Note changed the sheets of the bed. She sung as she worked, loud enough for Sweetie Tooth to hear her in the bathroom. When she helped her out of the bath, Sweetie Tooth’s eyes were already heavy with sleepiness. The coughing had stopped, for now at least, but Crystal Note could still feel the fever. Following Ruby Rose’ advice, she tucked the filly into the now cosy bed once more. Half a cup of tea and a lullaby later, the filly was slumbering and sleeping off the illness.

By the time Glass Slipper and Velvet Heart returned from school, Crystal Note was still in the bedroom at her daughter’s side. She had woken up a few times, drank some more and even eaten a little, but there wasn’t really any improvement to the last night. Except now, there was a faint smile on her lips, even when she was coughing in her sleep.

Crystal Note joined the two fillies for a quick dinner, but they both volunteered to take care of chores by themselves tonight. Crystal Note pulled them each into a tight hug before she returned to Sweetie Tooth’s side.
She watched the filly sleep and soon, Velvet Heart and Glass Slipper joined her. They talked quietly to each other so they wouldn’t disturb their sister. The moon was already up when Crystal Note finally sent the fillies to bed. She felt bad for only spending so little time with them, but Velvet Heart practically glared her back into the bedroom when she offered to tuck her in. Glass Slipper stated she’d take over for the bedtime story tonight and Velvet Heart nodded and added
“And I’ll make sure Glass Slipper doesn’t stay up all night long!”
All three broke into giggles at that and Crystal Note smiled proudly at how responsible and understanding the sisters had become.

Crystal Note put all the lights down, except for a single candle on the nightstand. The flickering flame sent shadows dancing on the walls and Crystal Note watched them, lost in thoughts old and new.
The stirring from the bed caught her attention again and when Sweetie Tooth opened her eyes, she found her mother watching over her. They smiled at each other and Sweetie Tooth sat up a little on her bed. She looked much better already, but still more than a little dazed
“How do you feel, Sweetie?”
“Lousy. Hungry, too.”
With a soft smile, Crystal Note levitated a mug of lukewarm tea towards the filly. Unlike the times before, Sweetie Tooth managed to hold it in her own hooves.
“I’ll see what I can do about that. I’ll be back in a minute, okay dear?”
“Okay Mommy.”
Her heart skipped a beat when she felt the true emotion behind that simple word. Her smile grew as she made her way through the house in the light of her horn.

When she returned with a bowl of applesauce, Sweetie Tooth was staring at the door already, waiting anxiously for her.
There were no words needed. Crystal Note climbed on the bed and lay down half-curled. Sweetie Tooth scooted close and rested against the mare as she made quick business of her midnight snack. When she put down the bowl with a happy sigh, Crystal Note just giggled and pulled her into a gentle hug. Sweetie Tooth nuzzled in and watched the bowl float away in the turquoise light. A soft blow and the candle flickered out as well, leaving only a little moonlight from the window.

Sweetie Tooth angled her head to look up at her mommy. Again, there was no need for words. Like the night before, Crystal Note gently pulled her daughter into her embrace, curling around her filly. Sweetie Tooth wiggled into the most comfortable position and her head came to rest on Crystal Note’s chest, close to her heart. She could feel each beat of her mother’s heart, and she could feel the humming run through her as Crystal Note guided her back to sleep with her favourite lullaby

Hush now, quiet now
It’s time to lay your sleepy head…

Within minutes, Sweetie Tooth was slumbering once more. Crystal Note watched her filly with a loving smile, but sleep claimed her as well shortly after. This night, no nightmares interrupted their rest and they slept well into the morning.


The next day started much like the last one. Again, Crystal Note and Sweetie Tooth had slept in. Glass Slipper and Velvet Heart were already at school. This time, however, Sweetie Tooth woke up without her feverish daze. Her eyes seemed brighter than the days before and Crystal Note found her temperature had dropped a little at least. She was still weak and there was still coughing, but overall she looked much better than the other day.

Unwilling to stay in bed, Sweetie Tooth insisted on going downstairs with Crystal Note for breakfast. However, Crystal Note kept her filly wrapped up in double layers of blankets and placed her filly on a cushion near the fireplace that came to life with a quick burst of magic.
They were halfway through breakfast when Crystal Note picked up the knocking on the front door. Ruby Rose, complete with her nurse cap and medicine bag, smiled at her from the doorstep.

The nurse went through a couple of tests, like the doctor, and took Sweetie Tooth’s temperature. Crystal Note watched anxiously and sighed relieved when Ruby Rose nodded in approval
“Already on the road of recovery, I see. Have you been eating, dear?”
Sweetie Tooth nodded and smiled at the nurse
“We just had breakfast and Mommy brought me a bowl of applesauce last night.”
Ruby Rose couldn’t resist a quick smirk towards Crystal Note, of course she noticed what Sweetie Tooth had called her. Proud of her new title, the mare smiled back, maybe just a little flustered
“That’s wonderful, Sweetie Tooth. Now, it’s okay you get up and walk around a little in the house, but don’t overdo it, please. When you’re cold, you should lie down in the warm and rest. We don’t want a relapse, after all.”
The filly nodded and Nurse Ruby Rose turned back to Crystal Note
“I’d recommend you keep her out of school for another week. Since Velvet Heart and Glass Slipper didn’t catch her flu yet, I doubt they still will but keep your eyes open for any symptoms. If any of your daughters get sick, feel free to ask for the doctor or me again.”

Crystal Note nodded and gently hugged Sweetie Tooth, which elicited a giggle from the filly. Ruby Rose smiled back at them
“Right, I’ll be going then. Get well soon, Sweetie Tooth, and be good for your mommy.”
Sweetie Tooth, suddenly very serious, nodded and clung on her mother who just kissed the top of her head
“Always!”

Ruby Rose laughed heartily and left mother and daughter with that, but her smile stayed even as she walked down the street towards the hospital. She was happy for the two. Sweetie Tooth finally had a loving mother again and Crystal Note finally had a family of her own once more. Even if it had all started with a tragedy, things were turning around again and the future smiled as bright as the sun over the Crystal Empire.

PreviousChapters Next