• Published 18th Nov 2018
  • 601 Views, 26 Comments

The little Knights - Bronycommander



Jens Meier, once a man with a good looking future, is now a widow, having nothing that he can look forward to. But can he help three lost Knights?

  • ...
 26
 601

Chapter 4 A long day

Chapter 4: A long day

It was early morning, they got all ready for the long journey towards Hamburg, breakfasting.

“So, how do you have planned to get here?” Midnight asked the two men.

“Simple, we’ll take the train, I already organized everything,” James replied as they got outside, seeing Jack arriving with a small Bus. “Perfect timing.” He complimented the Brit.

Jack drove to the Trainstation in Würzburg, the five ponies were amazing by how large and alive the city was. “Just like its Farman counterpart,” Wagensroll commented.

“Indeed, a very busy city. Would be much too loud and stressful for me to live here.” The commander said as the bus arrived, and he led them to the platform where the train was.

A large white version was the one they had to take. “An ICE? I always wanted to drive in one of those!” The green earth pony said eagerly.

James chuckled. “Hamburg is in the north, so the ICE is the fastest way to get there.”

The Jens’s surprise, his commander got booked first class, which was empty.

“It will take a few hours, so I suggest we take a nap until we arrive.” He suggested the others agreed, still a bit tired, getting comfortable in the seats.

Due being light sleepers, the Eternal Knights woke up from time to time as the train staff checked on the passengers, also enjoying the landscape.

It was around noon when the train arrived. “Welcome to Hamburg,” Günther announced before a bus driven by Linda pulled up to get them to the base.

Said base used to be a naval base of the Wehrmacht, now it was repurposed to be a base of the navy part of the Harmonious Guard.

As James inspected the base, Midnight asked Linda, “Do you sleep with a knife under your pillow?”

With an expression of confusion, the young woman replied, “Er...no.”

“In that case...I would strongly advise against baby-talking to me again.”

While taking it seriously, Linda said, “Hey, you looked cute when you had to yawn, can’t blame me for that. Besides, it’s a normal reaction.”

“Fair point, but please don’t do that again.” He warned with a light hiss, she nodded in response.

“Say, why did you join the Harmonious Guard? You don’t look like a soldier. No offense.” The blue filly wanted to know, getting curious.

“Well, my father was James’ confidant, so I saw it as my honor to continue his work.”

“And you do well.” The veteran said with pride as he continued, “The same is with Anna. Ava, I’m actually from the USA, son of an American father and German mother, and had a brother. She comes from the family he founded, wanting to help me. Lily, she comes from a French family I saved from the Gestapo and SS during the Second World War, seeing it as a way to show her gratefulness for this. Becker and Fuchs, they both wanted to help others around the world, seeing my PMC as best possibility for this.”

As the officer explained, Jens noticed the Cutie Marks of the Eternal Knights. Fletcher had three arrows fired from a crescent moon, Wolf a white wolf howling and Midnight a broadsword over a full moon as Cutie Marks respectively. The filly had also a small set of canines in her upper and lower jaws, looking like fangs for Jens.

I guess one of her parents was a bat pony.

“Currently, our main ships are stationed here for maintenance.” Jessie tore him out leading his guests deeper into the base towards the docks.

The eyes of the ponies went wide as they saw three big ships.

The first was a Battleship, armed with heavy cannons, missile launchers and AA guns, being 251 m long overall and 36m wide. The second ship was a heavy cruiser, being colored in dark blue, and the third ship looked like an aircraft carrier with several jet and propeller planes on board.

“May I show you: The Bismarck II, the successor of the Bismarck sunk in 1941, the jewel of our navy, together with the Princess Luna, inspired by the Prince Eugene of Savoy and our aircraft carrier the Graf Zeppelin.

The Graf Zeppelin may have been never been finished, but I managed to finish what our country tried to build.” He sounded proud of it.

“Impressive,” Fray commented.

“Thank you. At the beginning, many said it could not be done. They said it was too outdated. They said I could never update and upgrade them to today’s standards. They were wrong.”

“Never tell a smart German that something cannot be done, because you will lose,” Linda added with a chuckle.

“You got experience in that with your nanomites, haven’t you Fray?” Midnight asked with a sly grin, causing his friend to giggle.

“Yes, I have.”

The ponies then took notice of several soldiers in camouflaged uniforms, having a small golden or dark blue shield as patch on their uniforms. “Who are those?” Wagensroll asked.

“Oh, those? The men and women are my elite troops and apart from my confidants, the most loyal. They are based on the Royal Guard and are the heavy frontline infantry.” As James said this, some of them activated their radios, looking like stallions in either golden or lavender-colored armor identical to the Royal Guard. “Their dogged determination and access to the best equipment make them a force to be reckoned with.”

He then showed his guests a shooting range/training ground, where said mercenaries fought in a simulation. “Forward!” Their squad leader yelled before they aggressively advanced with Assault rifles, eliminating every hostile until they reached a red flag. “What we take, we hold.” He said as they captured it.

“They almost like the Waffen-SS in combat.” The green earth pony colt shivered at the thought.

“In combat efficiency, yes, they are, some say they are the new Waffen–SS. Whoever says that clearly doesn't know enough about just how the SS fought...and who.” James let out a sigh. “Anyway, let’s show you the air force of the PMC.”

The veteran led them to a nearby airfield, seeing German WW2 planes of all kind, landing, starting, or being maintained. There were also helicopters of the type Huey, Cobra, Hook and Hind.

The foals also took notice that some of the pilots and paratroopers had golden yellow lightning patterns with either a winged lightning bolt or a long streak of lightning as badge on their uniforms.

“Those pilots and paratroopers belong to the Nightcrawlers and blue devils, a fighter squadron and paratrooper division, based on the Wonderbolts, only the best serve here. Anna is in command of them.” Linda explained as she showed a video of Walter training some new paratroopers.

“Jumping out of an airplane is one of the safest things a human can do, provided he follows proper procedure. When the red light goes green, you jump. Follow the soldier in front of you. Don’t stop, don’t think.” The woman pointed to her forehead as the light went green.

“Go! Go! Go! Go! Go!” She yelled and the recruits jumped out revealing what looked like hundreds of planes in the sky, together with white parachutes landing on the ground.

Everything happened over the airfield at sunrise, looking very beautiful, the recruits were mostly nervous as the jumped out.

“The static line will deploy your chute automatically. The chute is designed to drop you straight down. If you’re headed for a bind, you can manipulate the risers and steer away from obstacles. Steer into clearings, look for green smoke.” She explained as the recruits had landed near green smoke, most did well in their landing by landing in the middle of a white circle, others landed a bit outside if it but still near it, with a greased Landing.

“You know why we look for green smoke?” Anna asked back on the plane. “Because it's proper procedure! Go! Go! Go! Go! Go!” She ordered and the recruits jumped out again.

“Only rookies and civilians botch their landings. You’re not a rookie, aren’t you? Flaring your chute will allow you to survey the DZ. It’ll also make your landing less painful. If you’re heading towards danger, adjust your incoming trajectory and attempt to grease your landing. You’ll be battle ready much faster.” The recruits had to land on white arrows near green smoke to make a flaring landing by flaring their chute right before they touched the ground, bending their legs so they were able to move forward the moment they touched the ground, most succeeded.

At the third jump, she yelled. “Do you read me?! Move! Move! Move! Move!” This time, the recruits had to land on small wooden platforms to demonstrate their flexibility, many did flared landings, others landed hard on their side or had to use their hands to press themselves up as they landed almost face-forward, doing botched landings due to their inexperience but landed where they should.

After the recruits finished, they gathered at the base, feeling proud of having earned their wings as she gave a short speech.

“Vertical envelopment, troopers. Death from above. Honor and Praise. You represent the successors of the roving elite infantrymen, known as the green devils. Some may say you’re nothing but failed experiment living in the past. They don’t know you like I do. I’m convinced you all are worthy of being the elite in our glorious air force. Don’t disappoint me.” The woman had pride in her voice, knowing they would do their best, to stand up to the green devils.

“They look well trained to me,” Fletcher commented as it ended.

“Indeed, they are. We also do support the Bundeswehr when needed, as such, we have specialized troops for such operations. And while Jet planes are the standard planes for the military today, the propeller planes like the Bf 109 and Fw 190 are still in use for close air support. The Huey and Cobra may be designed in the 1960s but are still used today and the Soviets know how to make good helicopters, the Hind is a good example, a gunship with the ability to transport troops. A smart idea, I give them that. Guess it was a good idea to keep them from the NVA of the former DDR after it collapsed.” The commander explained his guests.

“And I guess you made them EMP proof?” Midnight figured out.

“Correct, Midnight.”

“Mind if we take a look around ourselves?” Wolf asked.

The veteran waved a hand. “Not at all, I still have something to do that takes some time.”

With that at answer, the four ponies explored the base on their own, finding it very fascinating in general how those old machines were still working perfectly, the unicorn looked at the aircraft carrier in awe.

“The Graf Zeppelin was never finished, and still after years, he manages to complete it. I really wonder how he managed to get permission to build it, and the recourses for it.”

“That is really a good question, Fletcher. I could imagine if you had an aircraft carrier back then, that you would be the captain of it. “Wagensroll was sure of that, causing his relative to chuckle.

“Quite a possibility. And I guess you, Wolf, could be with the pilots or paratroopers.”

“Except I don’t need a parachute, I got wings.” She countered with a grin.

“I guess I would probably in the scientific department.” Patch suspected.

“Do you think a fedora and trench coat would suit me?” Midnight asked as he thought about it.

“Depends which color you would choose and such, Midnight. But I guess it would-“ Wolf couldn’t finish as she tripped, falling into a ditch, hitting something metallic. “Ouch!” She yelled in pain, rubbing her head as she looked up, freezing in fear as she noticed what it was.

“Wolf, are you…Ahh!” Fletcher let out a scream as he and the others saw a big metallic object, covered in dust and dirt, formed like a small torpedo.

“Is that….a dud?” Midnight asked in fear as he saw the aerial bomb, knowing that such things could explode when least expected.

“I’m afraid so…” Fletcher replied. While the Eternal Knights had experience with duds, even they were nervous around them, knowing only one mistake would mean death.

Wolf tried to move slowly, hoping it wouldn’t be set off by movement. But as she did, a metallic groan came from the bomb, causing her to cover herself.

Luckily, the explosion never came, causing her to let out a breath of relief.

“We should report that in before it blows up,” Wagensroll suggested with fear.

“O-okay.” The unicorn used his magic to get the filly carefully out of the ditch.

But then, something inside the bomb clanked and the foals looked at it with wide eyes, fearing of what was happening.

A ticking noise came from it.

“Everypony take cover!” Midnight yelled and they all ran away, diving behind a bush, covering their ears from the imminent explosion.

It seemed like hours before they noticed it didn’t blow up.

“That was…close…” Patch said relieved as he corrected his glasses.

“Yes.” Midnight replied as they moved on.

James was just about to inspect the Bismarck, as the young foals echoed in his ears. “James, we got a problem!” They yelled nervously.

“Calm down, calm down.” He said to them, wondering what was going on.

“We found…a dud…in the ditch.” Patch pointed to it with a shaking hoof.

The veteran let out a frustrated sigh. “Great, just what I needed. Alright, I get the bomb squad. Jens, Linda, get them home, sorry it ends so early.”

“It’s okay sir, safety first.” The young man waved a hand, not minding it at all as they left.

“Well that went not as I had imagined, but what about a movie evening?” He suggested, making up for the short tour.

The foals smiled. “Good idea, what movie had you in mind?” The bat pony asked curiously.

“Do you have star wars in Equestria?”

“Well, yes, we all watched all six movies, save for the sequel trilogy.”

“I see. Then we could watch the first movie of it. Catch some sleep, it will be a long ride home.”

They took his advice, closing their eyes and rested for the rest of the ride, arriving in the evening.

“Do you want your Popcorn sweet or salty?” Jens asked them.

“Salty, please,” Wagensroll replied.

“Okay then.”

The two earth ponies shared one bowl, the Eternal Knights another with each other as the movie started.


It 11 PM as it ended, they all had enjoyed the movie, Jens yawned. “My son also liked the movie. I gonna hit the hay, goodnight.”

In the moment the man had said this, he instantly fell asleep on his bed, Wolf put the blanket over him, Patch and Wagensroll also fell asleep fast in their sleeping bags.

Before the Eternal Knights went to bed themselves, they discussed one of the movie characters. “Captain Plasma has some things in common with Solomon, don’t you think?” Fray asked as her armor reminded him of his former enemy.

“Yeah, although he would rather defend the Base, rather than lower the shields without a fight.” Midnight suspected.

“But still have the same reaction as her about the trash compactor.” Wolf added with a giggle.

“Most likely.”

They then also went to bed, being fast sleep, wondering how the next day would be.