• Published 29th Oct 2018
  • 721 Views, 0 Comments

It Happened One Nightmare Night - Scroll Surfer



This is a story that involves the old Next Generation characters of Kilala97 who now calls herself Kianamai. The story takes place on Nightmare Night.

  • ...
2
 0
 721

CHAPTER 2

CHAPTER 2

Starburst, Prism Bolt and Claire slowly trotted through The Evefree Forest. Claire was quite nervous with every step she took. Starburst and Prism Bolt put on brave faces. Starburst looked at Claire and noticed the nervousness etched on the pony/dragon hybrid’s face. “What’s the matter, Claire,” asked Starburst. “You walk through this forest all the time.”

“I mostly walk through this place during the day,” responded Claire with a slight tremble in her voice. “This forest sure looks terrifying at night.”

“Then how were you able to make your candy sacrifice to Nightmare Moon?” inquired Starburst.

“I had Mum do it,” replied Claire.

“Are you sure this is the right way, Prism?” said Starburst turning to the pegaus stallion.

“Of course I’m sure,” said the blue Pegasus stallion. “I picked this short cut so that we don’t run into any kids making their sacrifice to the statue.”

“Why did you have to pick a path that’s so bushy?” said Claire as she struggled to trot past large vines and branches.

“I hope we don’t run into any poison joke,” said Starburst with trepidation.



The two young pegasai and the young pony/dragon hybrid braved though tall grass and fallen tries until they finally came across a small ravine. Starburst looked at the area with confusion. “Wasn’t there supposed to be a bridge around here, Prism?” said Starburst.

“That bridge broke down a long time ago,” said Prism. “That’s our new bridge.” Prism pointed to a large tree trunk that laid across the ravine a few feet away. “You gotta thank the yaks for bringing that tree trunk for us,” said Prism with a smile.

“So your muscles were so flabby you couldn’t carry the trunk yourself?” said Starburst snidely with a smile. Claire let out a laugh. Prism’s cheeks flushed red and a scowl appeared on his face. He then let out a growl as he started to make his way across the tree stump. Slowly Starburst and Claire followed after him. Once they made it across the stump standing before them was The Castle of the Two Sisters. As they started to make their way towards the castle already there was the faint sound of music.

“I hope the party didn’t start already,” said Claire.

“Don’t worry,” said Prism. “We’re still early.” The youths arrived at the entrance and standing before the doorway were two large yaks. The yaks’ eyes were covered with long hair but their mouths radiated sternness. Starburst and Claire looked at the yaks nervously while Prism swaggered along. As prism approached the yaks one yak raised a hoof blocking his path. “You here for party?” said the yak in a gruff manner.

“Dude, I’m a friend of the host,” said Prism with a friendly smile. “I just went to pick up a few more friends.” Without saying a word, the yaks stepped back and Prism walked through the doorway. Starburst and Claire keep their eyes fixed on the yaks’ stern faces. Slowly both girls walked through the doorway catching up with Prism.

“What are those yaks even doing here, Prism?” inquired Starburst.

“They’re here for security,” said Prism. “We needed somecreature to keep a lookout for either our parents or some monster that might come out of the forest.”

“But if there are monsters, what chance do those yaks have?” said Claire.

“Those are big tough dudes who smash things,” said Prism. “What chance do monsters have against them?”

“Wow, for somepony who’s supposed to be a top notch flier and all around chick magnet, you’re giving the yaks way too much credit,” said Starburst with a smirk. Claire giggled a bit.

“Starburst, I swear,” said Prism with a scowl and a grunt.



Starburst and Claire followed Prism down a long hallway. They noticed empty armor along the walls. “We’d better remember to keep in the middle, girls,” said Prism. “Mom said she and Mrs. Applejack ran into some traps after leaning up against the walls.”

“Your mom sure was lucky that she never ran into the crazy contraptions of this castle, Star,” said Claire.

“There’s The Princess of Friendship for ya,” said Starburst proudly. They all made it to the throne room where they discovered it void of a roof and thrones. Hanging above the empty platforms were tattered curtains.

“Isn’t that the tapestry your mom tried to get, Claire?” said Starburst.

“They sure are,” said Claire. “I don’t think she would have use for them anymore. Look how moldy they got.”

The three youths finally made their way down another hallway. Immediately the faint music they heard earlier became louder the moment they all stepped into the hallway. “We’re almost there, girls,” said Prism with a smile. The music got louder with every step they took. Up ahead were two large metal doors and it was from those doors where the music reverberated. Prism pushed against the door and before the three youths was the great hall. Across the floor was laden with ponies dressed in Nightmare Night costumes. Also among the crowd were dragons, griffons and hippogriffs dressed as famous monsters and mythical creatures. There was one particular female hippogriff that stood behind a large turntable with two speakers towering on both sides. Starburst recognized this hippogriff. Her name was Sirena Mist. Sirena Mist was a young protégé of the local DJ Vinyl Scratch, most commonly known as DJ PON3. Sirena wanted her own stage name but Vinyl advised her against it saying that “Sirena” is the type of name that could hypnotize a crowd. Soon Sirena Mist was DJing at major events all over Ponyville. The last event Sirena DJed at was a party that was hosted by Pinkie Pie to welcome a new dragon family who moved into Ponyville. Sirena Mist was dressed as Rey from that old “Star Wars” movie. Starburst scanned the crowd to see if her other friends were present. Sure enough her eyes caught Gold Delicious who was dressed in what appeared to be a circular, tin foil costume along his body complete with a tin foil hat. His fur was also painted grey. As far as Starburst could tell Del was taking after Applejack by dressing up as the Tin Stallion from that famous fairy tale. Starburst searched for more familiar faces as she followed Prism and Claire through the crowd. At one corner she saw Claire’s younger brother Turquoise Blitz who had stiches drawn across his skin and his mane shaped into a type of high top. Hoofenstein’s monster seemed to fit Turquoise well given the fact that his tall stature way surpassed most ponies his age, especially his big sister. Next to him was his girlfriend and Fluttershy’s adopted daughter Anthea. The blind unicorn mare was dressed in all black, had her light-green mane in a long and straight fashion and was wearing two elongated canine teeth. Anthea’s clouded blue eyes made her vampire look seductive and dangerous. “Hoofenstein’s monster dating a vampiress?” Starburst thought. “Very interesting.” Starburst glanced to her right and spotted Del’s cousin and the daughter of Big Macintosh and Principal Cheerilee, Red June. She wore a long white dress, a tall black and white wig and her fur was painted pale with stitches drawn across her face. June was dancing with Starburst’s second older cousin and Princess Cadence’s and Shining Armor’s son Valiant Heart. The male alicorn had a disheveled mane and was wearing an old, dirty looking scientist suit. “I’m guessing Dr. Hoofenstein and The Bride of Hoofenstein,” thought Starburst silently. Starburst passed a long table that was laden with all types of deserts, food, treats and drinks that were decorated with a Nightmare Night flair. Soon Starburst, Prism and Claire met up with Del, Turquoise and Anthea.

“We’re here, guys,” said Prism as he gave hoof bumps to Del and Turquoise.

“Right on time too,” said Del with a smile.

“Where’s Cotton Candy?” inquired Starburst.



Just then there was a squeal of the mike that took the attention of all of the attendees. They turned to the turntables where Sirena Mist stood. Suddenly a familiar grey pony rose up from the turntable and stood next to Sirena Mist. “Happy Nightmare Night, everycreature!” said the grey mare. “I’m Cotton Candy and I’ll be host for the rest of the evening.” From what Starburst and the others could tell Cotton Candy was dressed in a black witch’s outfit complete with a large pointy hat. “Get your hooves and in the case of our dragon guests, your claws ready because we’re gonna rock this castle inside out!” said Cotton Candy pumping her hoof in the air. “Take it away, Sirena.” With that Sirena turned on her turntables and a wave of electronic music escaped the two large speaker boxes. Almost on cue all the guest started to dance away. After making her big announcement Cotton Candy took to the floor and approached her friends. Her eyes widened in ecstasy as she met Prism, Starburst and Claire. “You made it guys!” said an excited Cotton Candy.

“Wouldn’t miss it for Equestria,” said Claire.

Cotton Candy looked straight at Starburst and examined her costume. “I thought Prism was supposed to be the one dressing up as Flash Magnus?” said Cotton Candy in confusion.

“I’m dressing as Dad,” groaned an annoyed Starburst.

“Dad used to tell us about the time when everpony kept getting Princess Twilight’s Starswirl costume wrong,” said Turquoise with a chuckle. “I guess it runs in the family.”

“Anyway,” said Starburst glaring at Turquoise. “On my way to the party Prism tried to pull a Nightmare Night prank on me. I’m guessing you had a hoof in that, did you, Candy?”

“No way,” said Cotton Candy shaking her head profusely. “If me and Prism are gonna pull pranks we would let each other in on our plans.”

“It was a total bust though,” said Claire with a smirk. “Starburst rammed his face right into the ground.”

“Did he bleed?” said Anthea with an evil grin. “I would’ve loved to get a taste of his blood.”



They all laughed except for Prism who glared at them. Starburst glanced over to the crowd and spotted Prism’s younger brother Icy Storm. Icy was dressed as an astronaut. “What’s Icy doing here, Prism?” said Starburst in confusion. “Isn’t he a little too young to be here?”

Prism let out a groan. “The other day I kinda borrowed Dad’s old Wonderbolt jacket without permission,” he said sheepishly. “I thought I’d showed some new hippogriff mares how awesome I’d look in it. But then I ripped it from the back. It just so happened that Icy caught me trying to sneak the jacket back in Mom and Dad’s room. He promised me that he wouldn’t tell Dad as long as I let him into this party.”

“Well, that explains it,” said Starburst with a cocked eyebrow and a smirk.

“I told you that your showboating would finally catch up with you,” said Claire as she flashed a grin.

Without warning Prism stomped away from the group as the girls laughed at him. “So, you wanna let me in on the kind of planning that went into putting up this party?” said Starburst as she turned to Cotton Candy.

“Well, we were gonna have it in the throne room,” explained Cotton Candy. “But the whole roof was gone and it could be really chilly over there. Plus, we weren’t gonna take any chances if the columns startled falling on us. It took us about a week to find a suitable room that was big enough, still intact and not falling apart.”

“How did you managed to avoid all the traps and secret rooms?”

“Well, I may have snooped into your Mom’s diary the last time I was helping her reorganize the library at the castle,” said Claire. “I made sure that Cotton Candy avoided certain tiles and walls that might set off traps. I also made sure she didn’t play with the organ.”

“It’s too bad we don’t have that organ in this party,” said Cotton Candy with a hint of sadness. “It would’ve added a spooky flavor.”

“It sure was convenient for all of our parents to be at that Nightmare Night Ball in Canterlot,” said Starburst nodding.

“Well, not all of our parents,” said Anthea.

“Aw, yeah,” said Del. “Ah forgit that your mama ain’t too heavy on Nightmare Night.”

“Such a shame,” said Claire shaking her head sadly. “You would think after giving our parents a good fright that Mrs. Fluttershy would have more appreciation for Nightmare Night.”

“Well, at least she’s not hiding under the bed anymore,” said Anthea.

“What story did you give her when you were on your way, Annie?” said Starburst.

“I told her that I was going for Nightmare Night at this great place Cotton Candy knew which isn’t too far from Ponyville,” said Anthea. “Me and Turquoise had to take a more scenic route so that she wouldn’t see us going straight to the Everfree. I feel kinda crummy lying to Mom, though.”

“Technically, you didn’t lie,” said Cotton Candy defensively. “The Everfree isn’t too far from Ponyville and The Castle of the Two Sisters is a great place.”

“What about you, Claire?” said Starburst turning to the pony/dragon hybrid siblings. “What did you two tell Mrs. Rarity and Uncle Spike?”

“I told Mom that Cotton Candy was having the party at this guest house in Ponyville,” said Claire.

“I told them I was going where Annie was going,” explained Turquoise.

“Good one, T,” said Cotton Candy. “And yes, Claire. The Castle of the Two Sisters is a kind of guest house.”

“How did you managed to get pass Mrs. Applejack, Del?” said Starburst turning to Gold Delicious. “She’s The Element of Honesty and she could smell lies a mile away.”

“Let’s just say ah got a major solid,” said Del.


On the day of the party, Gold Delicious was in his room putting the finishing touches on his Tin Stallion costume. He carefully put on his tin suit and examined himself carefully in the mirror. Suddenly there was a knock on his door. “Come in,” he said. The door opened and in stepped Applejack. She was void of her trademark hat and half-dressed in what was supposed to be her take on Dorothy. “Ah see yer dressin’ up as the Tin Stallion,” said Applejack. “Yup, “The Pony of Oz” is a great story, eh?”

“It’s alright,” said Del screwing his face.

“Alright?” repeated Applejack with a shocked expression.

“I…I mean…it’s pretty awesome,” said Del nervously.

“So,” Applejack began after regaining her calm demeanor. “yer really looking forward to this party that Cotton Candy’s settin’ up, ain't ya?”

Gold Delicious froze stiff. What was he to say on the matter? What if he crumbled before he even started? “Well, ya know Candy,” he said with his voice trembling. “That gal takes a lot after her mama when it comes to parties.”

“What does she have in mind this year?” said Applejack.

“Uh…she was thinkin’ ‘bout a kinda spooky house,” Del responded haltingly. “She’s been…talkin’ it over with Mrs. Pinkie Pie an’ Mr. Pokey Pierce.”

Applejack placed her hoof on her chin thoughtfully. “Ah don’t think their house would be good enough fer what Cotton Candy’s lookin’ for,” she said.

“That’s because she’s gonna have it somewhere else,” Del said quickly.

“Where?”

“A…really…special…place,” Del said through a nervous smile.

“What special place,” said Applejack suspiciously as she slowly approached her son. Mother and son’s noses were inches away from touching each other as Applejack glared at Del. “Del,” Applejack said. “don’t you be hidin’ anything from me.”

Del shifted his eyes away from his mother’s. If he did not have the burden of being the son of The Element of Honesty, lying would be so much easier. But he knew once he crossed that line of dishonesty there was absolutely no going back. He let out a groan. “Well…” he began. “The Castle of the Two Sisters been layin’ there for all them years. It seemed like a good place ta have a Nightmare Night party.”



Applejack’s right eye twitched slightly and her jaw slackened. “The Castle of the Two sisters?!" Applejack yelled. "Right in The Everfree Forest?! Are you outta yer mind?! Do you know the kinda monsters an’ stuff that's in that forest? Do you know the kinda crazy traps an’ doorways that's in the castle?” As Applejack spoke a mosquito buzzed between them and rested on her forehead. “Boy, if you think I’m gonna let you go off in a dangerous forest in a Celestia-forsaken castle,” Applejack continued on with a stern face. “yer crazier than Discord wearin' a bikini at the Runnin’ of the Leaves!”

Suddenly the mosquito stuck its proboscis into the center of Applejack’s head causing her entire body to go stiff. Her eyes became fixed and her face wore a blank expression. Gold Delicious meanwhile stared back at his mother with a mix of shock and surprise. “What am ah sayin’?” said Applejack in a monotone manner. “You get yer flank down there an’ have some fun.” Slowly she turned around and exited the room leaving Del dumbfounded. “Make sure you bring me back some treats, ya hear?” she called out.



Del stood there staring at the door was his jaw hanging. His mother’s sudden state left him wondering if he should call the hospital or Princess Twilight. Unbeknownst to him the mosquito who took a bite out of Applejack’s forehead was still hovering right in front of him. In the blink of an eye the mosquito grew in size until it was as tall as Del himself. Del jumped back with a yelp when he found Princess Celestia and Discord’s son Prince Illusion standing right before him. “Ahem, you’re welcome,” said the white mismatched hybrid.

Del stared at Illusion in confusion. “Do you have somethin’ to do with why my mama actin’ like she done chugged down too much cider, fell off the roof an’ hit her head?” he asked.

“Don’t worry,” said Illusion waving his hoof dismissively. “While I was in the form of a mosquito I managed to inject a little enchantment into her brain allowing her to give you her blessing to enjoy the best Nightmare Night party ever.”

“You enchanted my mama?” said Del with wide eyes.

“It’s only temporary,” said Illusion assuring. “It should wear out in about five minutes. If I were you, I’d gather up my costume and get out of this shack before she hits you with the same questions.”

“Gotcha.”



Del quickly rounded up all his materials and his half-finished costume and headed straight for the door. Just then Illusion stepped right in front of the earth pony clearing his throat loudly. “Don’t forget what you’ve promised,” he said giving Del a deadpanned look.

“What’re you talkin’ ‘bout?” said Del in confusion.

“You said that if I helped you out of this predicament you’d give me a week’s supply of Zap-apple pies.”

Del felt the all the air suck of his body. Any Zap-apple products were The Apple Family’s lifeline. Zap-apple pies and jams were the reason why the Sweet Apple Acres still functioned all of these years. As friendly as Del’s mother was, Applejack couldn’t simply give away Zap-apple products free, especially to close friends. Besides, there was a specific time and a specific amount of Zap-apples and Zap-apple products that could be harvested and manufactured. “Ah never promised you no Zap-apple pies!” said Del in shock.

“Prism Bolt came to me saying that if I did you that “solid” with your mother, you’d give me whatever amount of Zap-apple pies I wanted,” said Illusion.



Del looked at Illusion as if the Prince was crazy. Del then glanced over to his bedroom window and he just so happened to find Prism Bolt hovering outside. Prims Bolt looked back at the earth pony with a sheepish smile and waved. “Come on now, Illusion,” begged Del. “Zap-apples are pretty hard to come by each season. Besides ah won’t be able ta sneak any pies fer ya without mah family knowin’.”

“Oh, really?” said Illusion with furrowed eyebrows. “How inconsiderate of me. Well, I suppose that I could always tell your dear mother what your true plans are for tonight.” Slowly Illusion started to make his way towards the door when Del quickly placed a hoof on his shoulder.

“Okay! Okay!” said Del through his teeth. “I’ll work somethin’ out.” Del let out a grunt of anger and dashed through the door. Illusion stood in the earth pony’s bedroom flashing a mischievous grin.


“Eyyup,” said Del. “Ah owe Illusion big time.”

“Where is Illusion anyway?” said Claire.

Suddenly there was the maniacal laughter of a mare that caught the attention of the youths. They all turned to the laughs and what they saw caused them to become dumbfounded, terrified and amazed. The other party attendees stopped their partying and turned their focus on a female alicorn that approached the children of The Elements of Harmony. She had white fur, a flowing mane made of raging fire, red eyeballs, bright yellow eyes with slits, a golden helmet, an orange breastplate, orange shoes and two long canine teeth. “Prepare to face the rule of Daybreaker who has come to make the day last forever!” bellowed the alicorn. Everyone at the party stood dead in their places and half of them let out a scream. Starburst could recall an event that Mrs. Starlight Glimmer told her about involving an evil doppelganger that Princess Celestia had to fight along with Princess Luna in a dream. How was it possible for Daybreaker to became a physical manifestation when she was just a figure in a dream? Starburst, Claire, Turquoise and Gold Delicious trembled as Daybreaker trotted closer and closer towards them. Anthea could not make out the exact details of Daybreaker’s physical appearance but blotches of the raging flames that made up the alicorn’s mane was enough for the blind unicorn to let out a slight whimper and hold on tight to Turquoise’s leg. Daybreaker stared Starburst down with a grin while the tiny Pegasus dropped on her haunches with a slackened jaw. Suddenly Daybreaker let out a hysterical laugh. A laugh that now belonged to a stallion. Starburst and her friends looked on in confusion as Daybreaker slowly transformed into none other than Illusion. “You should see the look on your faces!” said the prince as he pointed his paw laughing at the young friends. The terrified expressions of Starburst, Claire, Turquoise and Del soon changed into scowls. Anthea simply let out a sigh of relief and a smile came across her face.

“Daybreaker,” said Claire with a deadpanned expression. “Such an interesting choice, Lulu.”

“I meant for it to be ironic,” said Illusion as he caught his breath. “That’s why I love Nightmare Night. I could assume the appearance of all creatures and not get in trouble. If mother were to flip her wig like Auntie Luna, I wonder what type of holiday would mark the occasion?”

“Don’t say that,” said Del with a worried look. “You wanna jinx yer family?”

“You just worry about upholding your end of the agreement,” said Illusion. He then transformed back into Daybreaker and offered a hoof to Claire. “Shall we, my lovely zombie?” he said in a female voice.

“Try to make your mane not so out of control,” said Claire fanning herself. “It’s a little too hot.”

“But of course,” replied Illusion/Daybreaker. His/her mane shrunk to a smaller size becoming a little crackle of fire. Claire then took Illusion/Daybreaker’s hoof with a smile and they both took to the floor. Starburst looked on with shock.

“Awkward,” she said under her breath. She then turned to the rest of her friends. “I’m gonna see what treats they’ve got at the table,” said Starburst.

“Alright,” said Del. “You have fun now, ya hear?”

“See you later, Star,” said Anthea.

Turquoise simply nodded. The orange Pegasus started to make her way through the crowd when her eyes caught four yaks carrying a pony on a platform. The pony was a mare with a bright, yellow coat, bright green eyes with slits, a lizard-like tail and a mane full of snakes. “Make way, make way for party royalty,” said the mare in a rather overtly haughty manner as she and the yaks moved past Starburst.

“Somepony’s full of herself,” said Starburst to herself. “Cool costume, though.”


On the streets of Ponyville it was hard to find one filly or colt who was not going door to door requesting candy. Such was the case with two young sisters Sugar Rush and Cloudy skies. They were the younger fraternal twin daughters of Pinkie Pie and Pokey Pierce and were Cotton Candy’s little sisters. But unlike their older sister both Sugar Rush and Cloudy Skies were different. Sugar Rush was born a unicorn while Cloudy Skies was born a Pegasus. Sugar Rush inherited her mother’s love of sweets while Cloudy Skies was deathly afraid of balloons. If Sugar Rush did not get her fix of anything sweet her mane would deflate and she would be down in the dumps like her mother. However, tonight was Nightmare Night. Sugar Rush was sure to get her fix of candy. Why wouldn’t she? On this night Sugar Rush was dressed as Princess Celestia while Cloudy Skies was dressed as Princess Luna. Being a unicorn all Sugar Rush had to do was wear fake wings. Being a Pegasus all Cloudy Skies had to do was wear a fake horn. Sugar Rush’s bright pink coat and Cloudy Skies dark blue coat made their respective costumes perfect. Accompanying the two fillies was their aunt Maud Pie who was dressed as her pet rock Boulder. Her costume was made out of foam and spray-painted grey. “Thanks for joining us tonight, Auntie Maud,” said Cloudy.

“…It’s pleasure,” said Maud in her usual monotone fashion. Sugar Rush looked down in her candy bag staring at two lollipops, two milk toffees and one jawbreaker.

“We’ve been out all night and we don’t have enough candy,” said Sugar Rush sadly.

“No kidding,” said Cloudy skies as she sadly looked in her half empty candy bag.

“…You won’t move the mountain with one hit,” said Maud as she stared up ahead blankly. “…You’ll move it by moving its rocks bit by bit.”

The twins groaned internally. Whenever Pinkie and her family visited the rock farm where she grew up, Auntie Maud never passed up an opportunity to let Cotton Candy, Sugar Rush and Cloudy Skies all there was to know about rocks and their formations. Such lectures would bore the Pie children to tears. The last thing the twins needed to hear was their aunt giving them anymore tidbits about rocks. “Um, Auntie Maud,” began Sugar Rush. “we don’t understand rock stuff as good as you do.”

“Yeah,” added Cloudy Skies. “Mom teaches more about baking than rock hunting.”

“…Have you ever noticed how big mountains are?” asked Maud.

“Yes,” said the twins in unison.

“…The train tunnels that go through the mountains don’t get built in a day,” Maud continued. “…Worker ponies dig through the mountains with their jackhammers and their pitch forks…. They have to do this slowly day by day with care by removing all the large rocks and boulders until they make a perfect arc…They don’t go all in…They go bit by bit.”

Sugar Rush and Cloudy Skies stared at each other with confused looks. They then stared at Maud who continued to keep her gaze focused on the road ahead. “Uh…English, Auntie Maud,” said Sugar Rush.

“…Take Princess Twilight,” said Maud not looking at the unicorn filly. “…It took four years for her to become The Princess of Friendship…Princess Celestia didn’t see her potential overnight...Princess Twilight had to prove herself in rather small doses no matter how lame it might seem to other ponies…Ponies earn the finer things in life like Nightmare Night candy in small doses, not all at once…Bit by bit.”

“But we’ve been out all night,” said Cloudy sadly.

“…If you want something good in life go bit by bit,” said Maud.



The Pies stopped in front of a house adorned with Nightmare Night decorations. Sugar Rush and Cloudy Skies approached the door while Maud stayed behind by the front gate. The fillies rang the doorbell and held out their candy bags. The door swung open revealing a unicorn stallion dressed in a vampire cape. “Nightmare Night! What a fright! Give us something sweet to bite!” said the two fillies enthusiastically.

“Oh, what an honor to meet you, Princesses,” said the stallion with a bow as he tried to put on the best vampire noblestallion voice. “Your visit is most welcoming. It is definitely worthy of the gifts I shall bestow upon you.” With those words the stallion levitated four large chocolate bars in front of the fillies. Their eyes went wide, particularly Sugar Rush whose mouth watered as the chocolate bars found their way into the candy bags. “Thank you!” said Cloudy Skies as she turned away. Sugar Rush was too busy gawking at her two chocolate bars to tell the stallion how grateful she was. “Do come again, Princesses,” said the stallion. He then let out an evil laugh as he closed the door. “Two chocolate bars!” said Sugar Rush as she and her sister rejoined Maud.

“How cool is that?" added Cloudy Skies barely being able to contain her excitement. The three Pies then made their way to the other houses. “…Bit by bit girls,” said Maud. “…Move the rocks bit by bit.”


Nightlight, Api, Pixel and Echo trekked deeper and deeper into the Everfree Forest through grass and branches that towered over them. Through the heavy vegetation they saw the crumbling exterior of The Castle of the Two Sisters. A smile appeared on Nightlight’s face. “We’re almost there, girls,” said Nightlight triumphantly.

“About time,” said Pixel said pulling out twigs and leaves from her fur. “I had no idea the Everfree Forest could be so nasty.”

“Gosh, you’re starting to sound like your Aunt Rarity” groaned Api.



The young ponies pushed their way through tall grass arriving in an open field where The Castle of the Two Sisters was about a yard away. Their jaws hanged as they stared at the derelict castle in awe. To Nightlight the Castle was clearly larger than the way his mother described it. The young started to make their way towards the castle when they stopped dead in their tracks near the ravine. Before them was a downed bridge. The young ponies looked at what was left of the bridge then at the castle. The fillies groaned in disappointment while Nightlight wore a despondent look. Nightlight in particular thought his quest for ancient knowledge had come to an end before it actually began. Before the young ponies could sulk much further the faint sound of party music touched their ears. They looked around the area until they spotted the two large yaks at the front door. The young ponies looked at the yaks in confusion.

“How could those yaks get as far as the entrance without a bridge?” asked Api.

“Well they couldn’t have flown across,” said Echo. “They’re not pegasai.”

“Maybe there were pegasai who carried them across,” said Pixel.

“No way,” said Api. “I don’t think pegasai are that strong to carry those big guys all the way there.”



Nightlight glanced to his left and a smile formed across his face. “Girls, I think I found a detour,” said Nightlight. He directed the fillies’ attention to the area and they all found a fallen tree trunk across the ravine. The young ponies trotted towards the ravine and stopped near the trunk. They looked down the ravine examining how dark and deep it was. All young ponies swallowed hard. They then looked at the tree trunk that towered over them. Nightlight who was in the lead let out a heavy sigh. Slowly he climbed to the top of the trunk. He arrived to the top when suddenly he almost lost his balance. The fillies gasped as Nightlight struggled to keep his balance. Nightlight gnashed his teeth and he slammed his hooves firmly on the trunk. Slowly Nightlight trotted across the trunk keeping his focus on the castle ahead. The fillies looked on in nervousness as Nightlight made shaky steps across the trunk. Sweat poured on his face as he trotted closer and closer towards the other side. He arrived at the end of the trunk and jumped off. Pixel and Echo whooped and cheered as Nightlight arrived on solid ground. Nightlight felt both relief and pride being able to conquer one obstacle to ancient knowledge. He felt his ego inflate a bit after being able to impress Pixel. Api meanwhile wore a scowl. “Hey, we can’t let boys overshadow us girls again!” she said. Api hurriedly climbed to the trunk and made a casual, brisk trot across the trunk. Echo and Pixel then followed suit.

“Api, be careful,” said Nightlight with wide eyes. “You have to move slowly in order to keep the trunk steady.”

“I don’t need your stallionsplaining,” said Api. As Api arrived at the center of the trunk the trunk started to roll slightly. Before they knew it the fillies lost their balance and slipped off the trunk. Echo immediately started to flap her wings and hovered above. She then saw Api falling down the ravine and swooped to her rescue grabbing Api by her fore hooves. Almost simultaneously Nightlight saw Pixel falling off the trunk and in an instant he activated his horn capturing her in his magic. Pixel hovered over the ravine while engulfed in Nightlight’s magical aura. Nightlight struggled as he levitated Pixel over to the other side. Echo meanwhile let out a heavy grunt as she flapped her wings carrying Api over to the other side of the ravine. All three fillies were now on the flat surface and they stopped to catch a breath.

“I really hope this party is worth almost falling to our deaths!” said Pixel staring daggers at Api.

“Maybe your genius boyfriend could’ve used his magic to hold the trunk steady!” said Api shooting a glare at Nightlight.

“Or maybe you shouldn’t have trotted across the trunk like a big dunderhead!” Pixel shot back.

“Girls! Girls!” yelled Nightlight desperately trying to diffuse the situation. “The important thing is that we’re still alive and we made this far.” The young ponies slowly rose to their hooves and continued forward towards the castle with Nightlight in the lead. Nightlight led the fillies towards the entrance where the yaks stood. Api eyes shot open when she realized what Nightlight was doing. She grabbed him by his shoulder and pulled him behind a wall out of the yaks’ line of vision. Pixel and Echo followed suit and hid behind the same wall. “What’s wrong with you,” said Nightline in a hushed tone glaring at Api.

“You can’t just waltz to entrance,” said Api. “They only let the big kids into this party.”

“Then what should we do?” said Echo.

“There’s this video game I played where the hero had to storm a castle without entering the front,” said Pixel. “He had to enter the sewers.”

“Eww,” said Echo gagging.

“Well, this castle has been around for millennia,” said Nightlight.

“Millennia?” said Api with a look of confusion.

“A thousand years,” said Nightline stressing on every word.

“Stallionsplaining much?” Api responded folding her hooves.

“Anyway,” said Nightlight. “If there are sewage systems in this castle, I doubt that they would still have poop all these years. Plus, it would make it much easier for us to enter without being detected by the big kids.”

“Too bad there’s no poop,” said Api with a smirk. “It would be my kinda place.”

“Not all of us are farmers, Api,” deadpanned Echo.



The young ponies trotted around the castle making their way down a hill. “The last time Mom was here it so happened that she came across a map of the castle,” said Nightlight. “If I could remember it right the sewers should be right around here.” Sure enough the young ponies arrived at a large sewerage pipe. They peered inside the pathway finding nothing but darkness. Echo froze still trembling while Api put on a brave face. Nightlight and Pixel illuminated their horns and trotted into the dark sewers. Api and Echo soon followed after the two unicorns.

“Sometimes it sucks to be a pegasus,” said Echo with a frustrated groan.