• Published 19th Sep 2018
  • 3,927 Views, 24 Comments

Out of the crater, into the light - Xenont



After her defeat, Sunset's new friends help her to find a place in this world, and teach her that she has to forgive heeself in order to be able to move on.

  • ...
4
 24
 3,927

On the road to recovery - Chapter 8

Sunset opened her eyes as she stared down the dark hallway. A hallway that any CHS student would recognize almost instantly. Sunset stood next to the rows of lockers, wondering why she was there. "Hello? Anyone there?" She called out, her voice just echoing around the empty walls around her. Just then, Sunset felt a jolt run down her spine as she began to twist in agony. She ran down to the main entrance of the school, looking for someone.

As she ran towards the canterlot statue, Sunset what was chasing her. A fiery red demon smiled back at her. "Sunset Shimmer, did you really think that you could just RUN AWAY? I'm a part of you, no, I AM you!"The demon laughed as she engulfed Sunset, turning Sunset back into her demon self. Sunset started to destroy the whole school against her will. "Stop! No! Your hurting them! Let me go!" Sunset screamed as she blasted the whole school to bits, killing all the students that was still inside. "NOOO!"


Sunset sat up on the couch, once again drenched in cold sweat as her friends looked at her with worried expressions. "Erm...are you okay?" Rainbow asked at Sunset rubbed her eyes. "You seem pretty tense...."

Sunset looked up as she sneezed. "Yeah....it's those dreams again..." She said, sniffing as she looked at her friends. "Do you wanna talk about it, dear? It always helps if you tell someone..." Rarity said as Sunset sneezed again. "Okay...." Sunset said, looking at the time. "But I do need to take my meds now, do I?" She rubbed her head.

As she tipped the pills down her dry throat, Sunset thought of what she could tell her friends. "Okay...so I was in the school hallway when I felt someone behind me, I didn't know where anyone was so I ran out of the building and looked in the statue and saw a demon chasing me but then it sorta ate me or something and then I started to totally destroy the whole school and town and then I woke up." Sunset took a huge breath. "Wow, when you say it all like that, it's a little....." Pinkie said as she stared at Sunset.

"Yeah, I know." Sunset smiled as she realised it was still quite early. "Oh, yeah! Sorry for sleeping in on you guys during the movie..." She looked up and grinned slightly. "Nah, it's cool, you needed the rest anyway." Rainbow said, yawning. "Let's just go on back to sleep and we'll party or something tomorrow..." The girls nodded.

"Ah...choo! Ah...Ah...Choo! AH...CHOO! As much as Sunset tried, she could not hold back her sneezes. As she sat up from the couch, bundled in the warm blankets, shivering, Sunset squinted her eyes as the lights flickered on. "Are you okay?" Fluttershy asked as Sunset rubbed her nose.

"I think so...." Sunset said before sneezing a few more times. "Sorry...again..." She said. "It's okay." Applejack said as she handed Sunset a tissue. "You just took the meds. By morning, you should feel much better." Sunset smiled as she looked up at her friends.

"Yeah! The doctor I brought you to, mended by broken wrist within three days! And it got hurt while I fell down and someone stepped on it. I even heard the bones breaking. If he could mend that, you should get better in a jiffy!" Sunset nodded. "Yup, I feel much stronger and.....I'm hungry now, really hungry...." She blushed as she rubbed her stomach. "I think the medicine has at least cured the vomiting....."

Pinkie instantly jumped up and ran into the kitchen, pulling out a flask. "Here, I saved you some food! I knew that you would get our appetite back!" She smiled as she handed Sunset the food. Sunset stared down at the bowl as tears came to her eyes. Wow....they are so nice.....so thoughtful...

"Thanks Pinkie....." Sunset said as she began eating the meal. "You are a really great cook....." Pinkie looked at at Sunset with a look of gratitude in her eyes, as if to convey :Thanks Sunny! As Sunset sat down to eat, she watched as her friends drifted back off to sleep.


I never realized what I was missing in my life.... Sunset thought as she looked at her friends, who appeared to be sleeping soundly. Well, I was too silly not to make friends in Equestria. And to think I chose my studies over those who invited to me to parties.... Sunset stared at a wall as she remembered how she used to turn down any good opportunity to make friends or go to parties.

The only person I ever shared my feeling with was Celestia......and I betrayed her......for power.... Sunset whipped a tear off her cheek as she placed to bowl on the table and going back to sleep herself. Sunset laid back as one last thought ran through her head before she fell asleep. I should apologise to the girls proper tomorrow....yeah....

The next day came faster than Sunset had expected. Next thing she knew, she was rubbing her eyes as she walked into the toilet to get ready. Wow, Rainbow was right. I DO feel so much better..... Sunset turned the knob of the shower as warm water flowed down on her. Well, I can't remember the last time I had bathed in warm water.... Sunset sighed as a picture of the factory flew to thought. Yeah...I can't

"Hey Sunset, feel any better?" rainbow said with a smirk. Sunset rolled her eyes. "Yes" She answered simply as she took the medicine again. "Hey, can I stop eating this?" Sunset said as she waved the bottle of liquid. "I ate the food yesterday and I didn't even gag."

"Yeah." Rainbow said. "Why do you think he gave you such a small bottle? It's a come and go thing." Sunset sighed as she placed the bottle on the table. "Erm....where do you guys wanna go? It's Sunday!" Rainbow asked. "And since Sunny here is feeling a lot better, we can do some more fun stuff....."

"What do you have in mind this time?" Applejack said, thinking about all the crazy stuff that Rainbow had done before, including showing off to bullies that had landed her in the hospital. "Ah hope it ain't anythin crazy." Applejack added as she crossed her arms.

"Why not? I like crazy." Sunset said as she stood up and dusted herself. "So.....what shall we do Rainbow?" Sunset asked as she shot the rainbow haired girl a sly grin. "Let me hear it!"

Rarity, sensing a bad decision would be made, instantly stood up. "The movies! We can go to the movies!" She held up her hand, "before you start arguing," she said, mainly to Rainbow,"I think we should start off with something mild, calm like..." She looked at Sunset. "What do you think Sunset?"

Sunset looked at Rainbow's expectant face. After taking a while to think of an answer, she looked Rarity in the eye. "Sure!" She said, with a hint of mischief in her eyes. "Buuuuut, Rainbow gets to choose the movie." She looked at Rainbow and Rarity, both staring at her with shocked expressions, each for different reasons.

"I think we would be getting along real well...." Rainbow said after recovering from the shock. She wrapped her arm around Sunset's neck as she smiled. "Yeah...." Rarity said as she glared at Sunset, making Sunset just glare back. "Really well." Everyone shared a laugh before they left the house, heading to the movies.


When they reached the theaters, Rainbow immediately ran up to the counter to choose the movie, knowing that half her friends dreaded horror movies, Rainbow decided that she would book six tickets for the scariest show the cinema has to offer.

"Okay, I got the tickets. We still have got a little time before the movie starts. I say we go have some lunch." Rainbow said as she ran up to her girls. "Rainbow...what tickets did you get?" Pinkie asked as she went up to Rainbow, snatching the tickets and reading the title to herself. "Ooh! Watch out Flutters. It's a scary one!" Fluttershy shrank down her her clothes as she imagined all the horrible things that awaited her.

"Hey, it's okay...." Rainbow said as she patted Fluttershy. "Be brave." She held Fluttershy's hand as Applejack led them down to a restaurant."


"Ah.....choo! Ah...choo!" Sunset wrapped her hands around her as she walked into the restaurant. "Sure is cold here...." She said as they made their way to an empty table. Sunset wiped her nose as she picked up the menu, scanning the items that was on the 'vegetable' section.

"Okay, so what shall we eat?" Sunset asked. 'This looks promising enough." As she looked around, she felt a few pairs of eyes look down at her as she selected what to eat. Sunset also heard a few people sneering behind her, as well as the word 'demon' being used Who are they and why are they looking at me like this? Sunset thought as she placed her order with Fluttershy.

Sunset turned around to get a better view of the people behind. Realising that many of the people in the restaurant were students from school, Sunset allowed herself to slide down in her seat, trying to look away. "Hey, you okay?" Rainbow asked, noticing her friend's discomfort. Rainbow looked at Sunset, who ignored her, following her line of sight, her eyes landing on a group of CHS students looking at Sunset with disapproving glares.

"Oh...." Rainbow looked down at Sunset, who had her face buried within her hands. "Darling, everything okay?" Rarity asked as she looked towards the direction Rainbow was looking. Soon, the whole group were looking towards the students. After turning back, the girls shared a look as Sunset held the menu in front of her face. "Sunset, don't bother about them." Applejack said. "They ain't worth your time...." Sunset looked up from the menu, tears in her eyes.

"is it not?" Sunset began. "It is all my fault, do you even know what I did to them?" Sunset looked down again. Although Sunset had bullied many, she remembered everything she had done and said, and the 'little incident' in the crater that night of the Formal did not help the situation at all. "I shamed them in front of the whole school, not that you would remember..." Sunset added.

"Hey, it's okay. Who cares what they think?" Rainbow said as she lifted Sunset head. "We know you have changed, and that's more important than what others think of you. Okay?" Sunset nodded as she whipped away a tear. Yeah, I know...but what would happen when school starts? You guys won't be there......

After eating, the group made their way up to the cinema. "Really, when can i pay you guys back?" Sunset waved her hands in the air as they walked up to the escalator. The girls, again, had helped Sunset to pay for yet another thing that Sunset could have paid for. "You guys have given me way way too much. I can't accept it!" Sunset crossed her arms.

"Yes, you can, and you already have." Rarity said as she rolled her eyes. "And, also, you must accept, my orders. Besides, you don't even have a job like most of us do, you don't even earn any money." Rarity placed her arm around Sunset. "Really, I won't take a no." Sunset looked at her friends. "Thanks..." She muttered as they made their way to the popcorn counter.

"So.....Sunny, what do you want?" Pinkie ran up to the counter and started to stare at the popcorn, her mouth dripping with saliva. "Ooh, they have plain, salty, sweet, caramel...." Pinkie listed all the flavors, making Sunset wonder how they even came up or made space for so many. "I don't know....." Sunset looked up and down. "I've never tried popcorn...that's what is is called right? Yeah, never."

Pinkie gasped so loud, people across the globe were covering their ears. "What!?! NEVER? Really?!?!" Pinkie waved her hand around frantically.

"Yeah...never. I really didn't see the need to?" Sunset shrugged as she looked at the flavors. "You know what, since you like popcorn so much, I'll give you the honors of picking for me." Sunset waved her hand at Pinkie's face, trying to get her to snap out of her shock. "Pinkie? Hellloooo!" Sunset waved her hand as she pushed Pinkie towards the counter, looking towards her friends for help.

"Eh heh heh..." Applejack laughed as she pulled Sunset back. "Give her time, she'll snap out of it." She elbowed Sunset and smiled. Meanwhile, the other girls started to pick out the flavors and the drinks. "So, you really never went on a trip to the movies before huh?" Applejack asked as she handed Sunset some popcorn. "Here, try some."

"Yeah, never." Sunset answered, eating the popcorn. "Wow, this is gooood..." She extended her hand towards the bag for more. "Told you, it's good stuff." Pinkie said as Sunset reached for another. Sunset nodded. "Yeah, when it come to food Pinkie, I'll never doubt you again." The group laughed as they made their way to the cinema room.


"Wow, that was so cool! So unexpected! So..." Rainbow said just as Fluttershy interrupted her. "Scary!" Fluttershy hugged herself as she walked out to the car park, her eyes still wide open. "I'm never doing that again..." Rainbow looked at her friend. "Look, Flutters, you need to you know, learn to be brave. It's all in the mind, you'll get over it." She nudged Fluttershy, who's face was still frozen with fear. "Anyway, how was the movie Sunset?" Rainbow asked, changing the subject.

"It was awesome!" Sunset shouted. "I mean, it was nice....I never knew that movies were so much fun!" Sunset looked at her friends, "and I did not know that hanging out your friends is so nice, all I've ever cared about before was myself and myself only. Thank you all for opening this door for me." Sunset walked up to Rainbow's car. "Hey, it's only 1 in the afternoon, you guys have any ideas?"

There was a moment of silence before Rainbow raised her hand. "No, no no." Rarity immediately rushed up. "No more of your crazy ideas. You have already scared Fluttershy half to death, whatever you want to do now can't possibly be any better." Rainbow pulled Rarity's hand away. "Chillax, like I was going to say before you suggested to go to the movies in my house, I was going to suggest that we go to the newly opened carnival near my place! I saw posters of it like everywhere!"

"Well, a carnival does sound nice, ya think so?" Applejack said. "It's safe, not too scary and fun all at the same time!" Pinkie nodded. "Yeah! It's so cool! and we have never been to one like in ages! This would be totally fun!" Pinkie gasped, pulling Sunset in. "And there is so much food there Sunny! And since you have never tried popcorn, I doubt you have tried carnival food like cotton candy!" Sunset shook her head and shrugged.

"Yeah, I only heard of it, shall we go?" Sunset said as she pointed towards the car. "Yeah!" Rainbow stepped inside and turned the keys as the rest squeezed in. "You ready for another round of fun?" Rainbow asked as she pressed the accelerator down. "Yup, I would kill to hang out with you girls again!" Sunset said as she leaned back and sighed.

A few minutes later, a blue car, with five enthusiastic and one scared girl inside reversed into a parking lot not far away from a newly opened carnival.

Author's Note:

Okay....I know I made Sunset's recovery a bit too fast. But hey, I would never be able to keep track of the timings that she had to eat the meds and they would never be able to do anything fun out of the house. So yeah, hoped you liked it anyway.

More chapters coming. told you they would be longer.