• Published 15th Sep 2018
  • 861 Views, 20 Comments

The Reign of Chaos: Discord's Story - MisterEdd



How did Discord become the Lord of Chaos? Was he always the only draconequus? What made him turn evil?

  • ...
3
 20
 861

Chapter 16-New Friendships/Blossoming Romances

Queen Concordia had seen enough. Watching her own daughter dancing with a creature like Discord dropped a veil of red over her eyes. She wouldn't send her guards onto the dance floor; it would disrupt the banquet's activities and make her look bad in front of her subjects. Well, make her look worse. Politely excusing herself from her guests, Queen Concordia exited the ballroom with as much stealth as she could manage and found her way to her bedchambers, where she locked the door and began to drown her sorrows in wine. How could she embarrass me like this? How can she embarrass the kingdom?! Her gaze found the portrait of King Solaris and tears filled her eyes, blinding her to the world around her as she took another gulp.

"How can she betray your memory, my love?"

A three-knock rattle at the door caused her to snap, "Who is it?!"

"Your Majesty, it's Star Swirl."

Despite her current state of irritation and desire to be left alone, she knew that she could always count on her royal advisor's wise counsel, especially in such a dire time as this. Star Swirl would know better than most what devilish little fiends draconequui are. She unlocked the door with a dark pink flash of her horn and barked, "Enter!" The door gently opened and closed as the elderly unicorn entered the room, accompanied by the usual jiggling of his hat bells and bowed deeply, his arthritic bones cracking audibly. "Arise Star Swirl. We have urgent matters to discuss."

"What seems to be the issue, Your Majesty? I saw you leave the banquet quite abruptly."

Queen Concordia nodded and sat up straight. "I saw dear Luna dancing with that-that abomination."

Star Swirl blinked at her. "Um, forgive me, Your Majesty, but I fail to see the problem here."

The queen froze in mid-sip, the wine glass tumbling to the floor and shattering into a thousand pieces. She faced him angrily, slowly rising as her wings unfurled around her like those of a great raptor's. "You fail...to see...the problem?" Queen Concordia annunciated dangerously. Star Swirl, however, stood his ground and looked the alicorn in the eyes.

"Yes, I do." The wizard replied, keeping a calm, respectful tone. "How exactly is this a problem, Your Majesty?"

"BECAUSE OF WHAT HE IS! BECAUSE OF WHO HIS PARENTS WERE! HOW CAN YOU NOT SEE IT?!"

"I know very well what Discord is and who his parents were. Who we are and where we come from do not dictate who we will one day become. I myself came from a dirt-poor village and grew up the son of a wagon-builder. Now I am among the top enchanters in the land and the royal advisor to its queen. I know what it is like to be doubted because of my background. All ponies ever saw was a scrawny little colt with patchwork clothes and not a bit to his name. You look at Discord and are reminded of a war ten years past and a foe long since defeated. You have not gotten to know him nor made an effort to do so. You let your grief and bigotry cloud your vision. Discord is not King Seth."

Queen Concordia's wings sagged to her sides but her eyes still furiously rattled at Star Swirl. "Just because you are my friend and advisor, you do not presume to tell me how I should think or feel. You have no idea what I lost during that war."

Star Swirl looked sadly at her. "Yes, I do. You're not the only one who lost somepony they loved. And it is because I'm your friend and advisor that I'm telling you this: please do not project your loathing onto that colt. The more you treat him like a backstabbing monster, the more likely he is going to be driven to be exactly that." Without waiting for a dismissal, he turned and departed, leaving a very angry and slightly contemplative Queen Concordia alone to ruminate on his words.


Sitting outside in the garden, Luna stared out at the multitude of stars, feeling as though she could drown from the sea of bliss that she was currently in. True, she hadn't asked Discord to be her special somepony; they were both so nervous about their dance and what it could mean for their friendship that she didn't think it was fair to bring it up. Besides, she got the reaction she wanted out of Discord. He thought that she was beautiful.

"Hey Discord?"

The draconequus turned away from the spectacle he was witnessing to face his friend. "Yeah Luna?"

"The gift you left me...in my room. It was very sweet of you. You know it's wrong to steal, don't you?"

"Yeah, I know. I just wanted to surprise you with something, to show you how much I appreciate you. Our friendship, I mean. Having you as a...friend."

It was a good thing that they were outside away from the light otherwise he could've seen the blush heating up Luna's cheeks at that moment. "Thanks I appreciate you as a friend too," she admitted half-truthfully, wishing that they could be much, much more than that. "By the way, how did you know caramel-filled bonbons were my favorite?"

Discord snorted and placed his arms behind his head. "Are you kidding? You told me that a week ago. I remember every little conversation that we have, no matter how seemingly trivial."

Oh, now this is something I have to see. "Really? What's my favorite flower?"

"You can't decide between lilies and carnations, so you say both."

"If I could be anything else besides a princess, what would I be?"

"Pfft, that's easy. A ballet dancer."

"Who's my secret crush?"

This gave Discord room to pause. "Um, you never told me and I wasn't aware you had one. Is he rich?"

"Nope."

"Is he from Canterlot?"

"Yes."

"Do I know him?"

"Mmm-hmm."

"Is it Star Swirl?"

Luna gave a fake-disgusted groan and playfully pushed him. "Ew, no! That's so gross!"

"Well hey, if it's the beard, I can understand. Mares love guys with facial hair."

"Will you stop? It's not Star Swirl."

"Captain North Star?"

"No, besides, he's married."

"Forget-Me-Not?"

"Medley Song Brook's little brother? He's like six!"

"Okay, I give up." He then added cheekily, "Is it Star Swirl?"

"No, you moron, it's you!" Luna then gasped, clamping her hooves over her mouth and turning away. Oh, my Cosmos, I did not just say that! And not to him! Ugh, now I want to die! A soft avian's claw gently grabbed her shoulder and she peered over at Discord, her heart melting at the tender gaze he was giving her. Once she'd turned to face him, he reached out with both hands to carefully unwind her mane from its braid, allowing the dark blue, star-littered mass to flow freely in the night sky and scintillate in the moonlight.

"Your mane looks much better flowing. Much more beautiful like that."

If Luna were to drop dead at that very moment, she would've died a happy filly. Is this...is this really happening? Then, without warning, the draconequus leaned forward and planted a chaste kiss on her cheek, heating her face up like a Hearth's Warming Day bonfire. It was better than any dream she could've ever had. She reached out and caressed Discord's right hand, taking in the softness of the feline fur that covered it. "Discord, I...-"

"What are you two doing out here? The party's inside," Celestia interjected, the two almost leaping out of their skins as they quickly moved away from one another.

"Hi Celestia!" Discord cheerfully stated. "Say, did I say how nice you looked tonight? Very pretty, very regal."

"No, you didn't and thank you. Luna, come on inside before you freeze out here."

Reluctantly, the younger alicorn sighed and made her way inside, stopping to give Discord an apologetic, longing glance before vanishing. Once she was gone, Celestia turned to face Discord and he instantly knew that he was caught. She gestured towards the bench and, seeing no way out, obliged and waited patiently for her to speak. She crossed her forearms and tapped her hindhoof on the stone patio. Sweat gathered on Discord's brow and while he was certain that he could just outrun her, it'd be pointless. After all, princess trumps peasant.

"You know, I love my sister deeply," Celestia began, her voice commanding but also gentle. "Ever since she was born, I'd felt the need to protect her from anything or anypony." She leaned forward so that their noses were nearly touching. "Do you understand me?"

Discord nodded and as Celestia turned to leave, he added, "So do I."

She instantly whirled around. "'So do I,' what?"

Gathering up all of the strength that he could muster, Discord stood up and faced Celestia defiantly, despite every nerve in his body begging him to stay quiet or run.

"I love her deeply too."

What happened first was that Celestia's jaw dropped. What happened second was that she quickly closed the distance between the two of them, her expression reading somewhere between dumbstruck and anger.

"I know you don't believe me, but it's true. Luna's incredible! She's smart, kind-hearted, has a lovely singing voice and is so humble she doesn't think that she's pretty or has much to offer anypony. But she's wrong on both accounts. She's the most beautiful mare I've ever seen and would make somepony a very lucky husband one day." He lowered his gaze and sighed sadly. "Even if...even if it's not me."

Once Celestia's jaw clamped shut, she took a moment to study Discord, as if she'd never seen him before. While she didn't find him classically appealing, she did suppose why Luna might. His face was soft, his eyes weird but sincere and even his mismatched body was oddly intriguing. And, not to mention, he had guts, standing up to the heir to the throne of Equestria like that. Luna was pretty but nopony ever went out of their way to bring that up and the passion with which he spoke of her was downright romantic. But most of all, he was Luna's friend, something that she didn't have and desperately needed. Even though Discord was a freaky little creature, it softened Celestia's heart to know that Luna had such a faithful companion.

"You're alright, Discord. Just don't try anything funny with Luna. If I find out that you've hurt her in any way, I'll turn your head into a turnip."

Author's Note:

The S.S. Disluna is really sailing now! They are just too cute together!

And look, Celestia's not so bad, is she?

I'll elaborate more on Queen Concordia's issues with the draconequui and we'll return to the War at some point.