• Published 15th Sep 2018
  • 853 Views, 20 Comments

The Reign of Chaos: Discord's Story - MisterEdd



How did Discord become the Lord of Chaos? Was he always the only draconequus? What made him turn evil?

  • ...
3
 20
 853

Chapter 3-The New Filly

"Hold still, sweetie," Violet whispered as she dabbed Discord's face with a washcloth, keeping a calm demeanor as the chimera winced quietly. She had been delayed by running into an old friend of hers and Clover's and came home to discover a bruised and sobbing Discord sitting on the roof in the rain. Sadly, it was too common to find him crying in the corner or covered in cuts and bruises. Little punks! They actually wait until I'm out of sight before they pick on poor Discord! Her suspicions came to rest on Lance and Dash but as per usual, Discord refused to point out his attackers, either from fear of retaliation or some bizarre desire to protect his bullies. Either way, it broke Violet's heart to know that anypony would assault somepony as sweet and innocent as Discord just because he looked different.

The swelling around Discord's eye and cheek had gone down though he'd be sporting a shiner for the next few days. He sniffled and threw his arms around Violet's neck. "I-I didn't fight back, Miss Violet. It's like you said, 'Violence never solves anything,' so I didn't fight back! They...just kept hitting me and hitting me! I hate them!" Violet pulled the weeping chimera close to her and rubbed his back, shushing him and whispering words of encouragement in his ear.

"You should never hate anypony, Discord. Hate does nothing, brings nothing-...."

"I hate myself too!"

Suddenly yanking Discord away from her, Violet snapped, "Don't say that! Don't you ever say that again, do you hear me?!" She immediately regretted this as Discord began quivering in her grasp. "I...I'm sorry, sweetheart," she cooed and embraced him. "You shouldn't hate anypony, especially not yourself. You're a good boy, Discord. You have such a loving heart and I promise you that you'll meet somepony that'll appreciate you for that."

"But Miss Violet," Discord sniffled. "How can anypony see my inside if they only look at my outside?"

For once, Violet didn't have an answer. She just held him tightly in her arms, wishing and dreading for the day that somepony would come to take him away and give him the life that he deserved. If that day ever came.


The small rubber ball bounced off of the floor to return to Discord's bird claw and he mimicked this routine for longer than he cared to recall. All of the orphans had been brought to the living room for some kind of announcement, with the exception of Discord, who chose to remain in the hallway. This worked for him since he could still see and hear everything but still put him at a distance from the other kids. After two more passes, Discord went to toss the ball again when an idea crossed his mind and he carefully set it down on the floor. Looking back and forth to ensure that he was alone, he took a deep breath and rubbed his hands together. Miss Violet said not to use his powers in front of the other children but he was alone now, wasn't he?

Clearing his head of everything, he focused on the ball, taking in its size, shape and texture. The air crackled all around him as he raised his outstretched lion's paw, feeling an electric shock travel all throughout his body and out through his fingers. The ball began to slowly rotate, gradually picking up speed the more Discord focused on it until it spun like a top. Little by little, the ball rose off of the floor and floated up to Discord's line of sight, the excitement of the action bubbling up and he fought the urge to laugh and cheer at the display.

VERY GOOD, DISCORD. NOW BLOW IT UP.

The ball dropped from the air and bounced along the floor, completely forgotten by the shook-up chimera. The Voice's spine-chillingly yet silky-smooth appearance scrabbled Discord's thoughts and now all he wanted to do was hide. The small bit of magic he'd just performed was exhilarating but also...deeply pleasurable, like soaking in a warm bath. So why do I feel so bad? He asked himself. And why does the Voice show up?

"Alright children, gather around!"

Discord shook his head and hurried to poke his head in the doorway, watching Miss Violet as she smiled serenely at the gathered ponies. He could make out a shape behind the orphanage matron but couldn't tell what it was. He wished he was closer but didn't want to risk the wrath of the other kids so he stayed where he was.

"We have a new filly joining us today. Come on out; it's alright, sweetie."

The shape slowly made its way out in front of Miss Violet, revealing it to be a tiny, cyan-blue Pegasus around Discord's age, her whole body trembling as she stepped into the light. Green eyes worriedly glanced around the room before she hid them behind her poofy blonde hair, which tumbled down her face and shoulders like a golden cloud.
She was dressed in a striped peach-colored dress and tightly held a ragdoll to her chest. It was a pity sight to see the filly so frightened and Discord instantly felt himself feeling bad for her predicament.

Violet bent over and put an arm around the filly. "Everypony, this is Posey Autumn and I would like you to make her feel as welcome as possible. Would you like to say hi, Posey?"

The filly nodded and cleared her throat. "Hello everypony," she whispered before burying her face into Violet's chest. It was clear that she was shy but that didn't stop many of the orphans from chattering noisily or cracking jokes. Ignoring them, Discord stared at Posey, noting that she was actually pretty, in an awkward wallflower sort of way. Just thinking about her attractiveness made him aware of his own warped physiology and he quickly shooed those thoughts away. Then just like that, the meeting was over and Discord had to duck into the nearby office to avoid the swarms of colts and fillies that filled the hallway.

After waiting two minutes, he exited the office and entered the living room, finding both Miss Violet and Miss Dawn comforting Posey, who seemed much more relaxed and even cheerful. Huh, she has a nice smile. Shaking his head, Discord cleared his throat and the three turned to face him, with Posey unsurprisingly clutching Violet's forearm.

"Uh, h-hello there. I'm Discord. You're new, right?" He stuck out his lion paw and upon realizing Posey wouldn't shake it, withdrew it and coughed awkwardly. "Well...I came to say 'Hi' and I did so...see ya!" He spun around and half-trotted to the doorway, feeling like a proper fool for expecting her to take his paw. Shy or not, nopony wanted to touch him. He was about to leave and sulk in a corner somewhere when a small voice stated:

"Goodbye Discord. Thanks."

He turned suddenly to face Posey only to find her being led away by Dawn and Violet, who mouthed a quick, "That was so nice of you," before vanishing from sight. Discord scratched his head with his bird claw. That voice...it was so bashful but also...sweet and kind. He decided that he wanted to hear more of it. But would she speak to him again?

Author's Note:

I gave Posey certain characteristics of the Mane Six such as Pinkie Pie's mane, Rainbow Dash's skin and Pegasus status, Applejack's eyes and hair color and Fluttershy's personality.

Isn't she a sweetie?