• Published 15th Sep 2018
  • 852 Views, 20 Comments

The Reign of Chaos: Discord's Story - MisterEdd



How did Discord become the Lord of Chaos? Was he always the only draconequus? What made him turn evil?

  • ...
3
 20
 852

Chapter 17-Dissy And Lu Lu

"No, no, no! Tis is terribile!" Cantata Arpeggio rubbed her horn irritatingly, her riding crop tapping rhythmically against her right thigh. Luna sat at the harpsicord, her head hung disparagingly as the brown mare marched in front of her like a drill sergeant. Celestia stood on the other side of the room, not wanting to get involved despite the expression of sadness on her sister's face. "You arrre doing even worrrst than oosooal! What is going trrrough yourr ‘ead, silly girrrl?"

"I-I'm so sorry, Signora," Luna began, a small blush peppering her cheeks. "It's just, I kind of...met a boy and-..."

"I don't give a flying fig if you joost met a boy!" Cantata bellowed, scaring Luna's mouth shut. "Di tutti gli stupidi…You arrre my stoodent and as sooch, you will give me yourrr fool and oondivided attention!" She brandished her riding crop like a rapier, jamming it in Luna's face. "You arrre a prrrincess and it is time you starrrted acting like it! Yourrr ‘ead should rrremain clearrr of toughts of boys, do you earrr me?"

Something snapped and Luna seized the riding crop, her eyes cold and steely. "As your princess, I order you not to stick that damn thing in my face!" She tore it out of Cantata's grasp and flung it across the room, leaving both Cantata and Celestia silent. "All you ever do is tear me down and make me think less of myself! Do you call that teaching?!"

"L-L-Luna, per favore…"

Luna slammed a hoof down, shoving her face close to Cantata's. "Well, I may be a screw-up but at least I'm not some bloated old strumpet who is so bitter about being a childless spinster that she takes her aggression out on others!" For a nanosecond, Luna's voice became a rumbling growl and her eyes had been reduced to cat-like slits, terrifying the Bitalian music teacher and sending her scurrying for the exit, her sobbing echoing throughout the halls. Wait, what just happened? "W-wait, Signora Arpeggio, stop! I-I didn't mean it!"

She turned to Celestia, who stared fearfully at her. "Luna...what...what was that all about?"

Luna's eyes filled with tears. "I don't know! I'm scared!" She flung herself at Celestia and wrapped her forelegs around her neck, choking sobs filling her chest. Celestia slowly returned the embrace, still unsure of what had exactly gone down. Cantata's behavior was unforgivable but seeing Luna snap at her like that and with such malice? It was like seeing a whole other pony standing there. Her Luna would never had said something like that. "I'm sorry! I'm so sorry!"

The only thing Celestia could do was hold Luna tightly and stroke her mane. "I know, Luna, I know. We'll figure this out, I promise."


Star Swirl eyed the young draconequus. "Discord? You've been stirring that same batch of sleeping draught for the past ten minutes. Is something amiss, lad?"

Discord snapped out of his reverie and sheepishly set the ladle aside. "I'm sorry, Master. It's nothing."

"Is it? I hardly think so. Tell me what the issue seems to be."

A light blush touched Discord's cheeks. "I-I think I'm in love, sir."

This got Star Swirl's attention. "Do you now? And who is the young lady, may I ask?"

Discord's face turned white. Literally. "I couldn't say! I mean, I want to but I'd get in trouble!" He pushed his face into his mismatched hands and began to mumble incoherently. Star Swirl couldn't help but chuckle at the display. He remembered being a colt once and was actually quite the charmer in his youth. There was no feeling in the world that matched the fuzzy sensation of being smitten by your first love.

"It wouldn't happen to be Princess Luna now, would it?"

Discord peeked through his fingers. "W-what?"

The old unicorn chuckled and placed a hoof on Discord's shoulder. "Come now Lad, it's quite evident at this point, at least to me, that you and fair Luna have feelings of a romantic nature for one another. You'd have to be blind or stone-dead stupid not to see it." Discord lowered his heads and hung his head low. "It's nothing to be ashamed of. Buck up."

Discord nodded and gave him a weak smile. "You mean, you're not mad?"

"'Mad'? Why would I be? I'm not the filly's father after all. Besides, it would be a perfect arrangement, you two being royals and all, plus you could-..."

"What do you mean...'us two'?"

Star Swirl's mouth hung open; aghast at his own careless faux pas. "Well, I mean...the thing of it is..." He sighed heavily and took a seat on a nearby wooden bench, gesturing for Discord to join him. Once the colt had sat down, a scroll materialized in the air and Star Swirl opened it up for the both of them to read. "I was in the archives when I discovered this. It's a copy of a royal birth certificate. The last rulers of the Draconequus Dynasty were King Seth and Queen Eris and their only child and heir...was a colt. His name was, or rather, is...Discord."

Trembling hands took ahold of the parchment. "You mean...I'm a...pr-prince? I'm a prince?"

"Indeed you are. And as such, you are fully entitled...to marry a princess."

For a minute, Discord said nothing, his expression one of pure shock and bewilderment and Star Swirl was afraid that he had broken the poor colt. He nearly fell off the bench when Discord vanished and reappeared on the other side of the room, accompanied by party horns and confetti. "Whoo-hoo! I'm a prince, I'm a prince!" He snapped his fingers and the silverware in the sink suddenly sprouted cartoonish faces and limbs, who then proceeded to crawl out of the sink and begin to dance to music that appeared out of nowhere. The stoppers to vials and bottles of potions rocketed into the air, followed by jets of different colored liquids. While the display of magic was quite impressive, Star Swirl was ticked off by the destruction of his laboratory and sanctuary.

"Discord, while this is all amazing, could you please stop wrecking my workshop?!"

"Whoops, sorry, Master!" With another snap, everything was returned to normal, not a single spoon or bottle out of place. "Sorry about that. I guess I got just a little bit carried away." Star Swirl raised a serious eyebrow. "Okay, maybe a lot carried away! Oh man, can you believe it! I'm a prince! Wait until Lu-Lu hears about this!"

"Now wait just a moment!" Star Swirl started. "There's, uh, no reason to start announcing this little epiphany, is there?"

Discord slumped onto his stool and peered confusingly at the old unicorn. "But why not? Luna's my best friend and we tell each other everything. Besides, this means that Queen Concordia has to accept me, right?"

Star Swirl ran a hoof through his long beard, desperately clutching at a suitable answer. He'd already slipped up by revealing this one secret and he knew letting Discord know of the others would be disastrous. "Discord, listen. I know it's new and exciting to receive such information but trust me, we need to keep it between us. A royal's life is one of danger. If the truth of your heritage were to be discovered, then it might draw out enemies, enemies that might try to hurt you because of your princely status. I'm asking you to please keep this between us. At least for now."

Weighing the importance of Star Swirl's words, Discord finally nodded. "I promise. Nopony will hear it from me."

"Good lad," Star Swirl sighed. "Now let's get bad to work. These potions aren't going to make themselves."


By the time Luna met Discord at their spot on the rooftop, the sun had already begun to vanish behind the tree line, leaving the sky in an odd half-orange glow. The young draconequus leapt up from where he lay and engulfed Luna in a tight embrace. "Heya Lu-Lu, how was your day?! I heard Cantata Arpeggio was especially rough on you. Are you okay?"

There was no way that Luna could tell Discord of her outburst, nor of her momentary transformation. Despite the love she had for him, there were some things she'd keep to herself, if only to not mar his image of her. She twirled some of her dark mane and threw it aside. "It was a little tough but I'm okay here. Now. What about you? You were making potions with Star Swirl, right? Pretty boring I'd imagine."

"Oh it was! Yep, soooo boring. No excitement there!"

They both laughed uncomfortably, which was followed by an extended period of awkward silence, during which the pair decided to sit down shoulder-to-shoulder. Instead, they elected to watch the night sky and avoid thinking about their respective experiences that day. One was coping with a surprising revelation about his family while the other was struggling with her inner demons, something that nopony wished for but all had to go through in order to better themselves. Luna rested her head on Discord's shoulder and Discord took the opportunity to stroke Luna's mane, a comforting gesture for the both of them. Yes, no matter what challenges lay ahead, at least they were both secure in the knowledge that they had each other.

Comments ( 5 )

Oh boy, Star Swirl is going to regret telling that boy about his heritage one day. I can't wait to cry over it!

9477459
You may be onto something...

Heya ^^ i just needed to say that i absolutely and completely fell in Love with this Story!!
Honestly one of the best i read in the past years 😍
Is it still going to be continued? I really really wanna see how its going to end :3

With Love
Nerfy

9691347
Thanks so much for the praise! I will get back to it as soon as I finish up on some Sombra related stuff, I promise.

9692019
Ouuuh yesssss :raritystarry: fantastic <3 <3 <3
I cant wait :3
So excited hehe

Login or register to comment