• Published 1st Aug 2012
  • 5,660 Views, 38 Comments

Three Ponies' Advice - Atosen



Fluttershy has a crush. She goes to all the wrong ponies for help.

  • ...
6
 38
 5,660

1: Advice from Rarity

Fluttershy felt the mud suck at her legs, adhering to her coat and skin, pulling her deeper. Like quicksand. Within seconds she was submerged to her chest. She flapped her wings anxiously, staining her feathers black and sending flecks of mud flying.

One of the beauticians flashed a glare at Fluttershy and left to retrieve a mop.

Fluttershy stilled her wings and lowered her face. It wasn't until the clingy mud had washed over her back and engulfed her neck that her hooves finally touched solid tile.

“And then – you won't believe this,” Rarity was saying, “– after all the trouble he'd given me, he said the stitching was wrong! The stitching!”

The unicorn paused and Fluttershy dutifully tittered. “That seems like a trivial criticism.”

“Trivial doesn’t even cover it! My backstitch has never failed me. And that's not the worst part. The gems – I showed you the suit once it was gemmed, didn't I? He called them gaudy.”

Fluttershy took a steadying breath, gathering her courage. Then she said, “Oh, my.”

“They were not gaudy.” Rarity stomped a hoof, or so Fluttershy surmised from the dull ripple in the mud’s surface. “They were eye-catching.”

She'd waited so long already. Just a few words and everything would be clear. Another deep breath, and: “Rarity, I've been meaning to ask... um... w-what are you supposed to do if you...” She trailed off in a whisper.

“I worked for days gathering those spinels– what was that, darling?”

“What are you supposed to do if you...” Mumble mumble.

“Run that by me one more time?”

Fluttershy shifted her wings and looked resolutely at the far corner of the room. “What are you supposed to do if you like somepony?” she squeaked.

There was a moment of agonizing silence. Then Rarity drew in a huge gasp. “Oh! Fluttershy! You're in l'amore?” The fashionista pressed against the side of her bath, leaning towards Fluttershy and practically quivering. The cucumbers had fallen from her eyes, but she didn't seem to notice. “That's fabulous! I'm so happy for you! –Is it Rainbow Dash?”

“What? Um–”

“It's Rainbow Dash, isn't it?” A dreamy look passed over Rarity's eyes. “The foalhood friendship, the complementary personalities – oh, I always knew you two would be perfect together!”

Fluttershy sank down into the mud to hide her face.

Rarity's smile only grew wider at the pegasus's reticence. “Don't you worry, darling. I will do absolutely everything in my power to ensure you achieve the love of your life!”

***

Technically speaking, Rarity was camouflaged. That is, she was crouching behind a bush and wearing a big floppy hat in various organic shades of green, decorated by a few flowers of yellow and white. Privately, Fluttershy thought it made the unicorn even more conspicuous than usual, but far be it from her to criticize her friend’s strategy.

This was exactly why, under Rarity’s watchful gaze, Fluttershy was now trotting towards Rainbow Dash’s house with a bouquet of flowers in her mouth. And there, waiting in the cloudhome's shadow, was the one pony she'd hoped not to meet.

“Hi Fluttershy!” Pinkie Pie bounced toward her. “Hi Rarity!”

Fluttershy put down the flowers – red tulips and white carnations, which Rarity had assured her were powerful symbols of love – and glanced back toward the fashionably be-hatted bush. “I, um, don't think we're supposed to notice her.”

“Oh! Sorry, Rarity!” Pinkie called toward the bush. “I won't notice a thing. My eyes are sealed.” And she shut her eyelids firmly.

Fluttershy felt the corners of her mouth quirk up. Pinkie turned around blindly and immediately lost her balance, tumbling over like a foal. Both of them laughed.

Pinkie crawled forward on her stomach, feeling around with legs and muzzle. Within moments, her nose found its way into the bouquet that Fluttershy had put down, and she took a deep sniff. “Mmmm! Tulips!”

Fluttershy blushed. What was she supposed to say? On Rarity's instruction she was meant to give the flowers to Rainbow Dash as a token of her love. But she couldn't tell her real crush that she was trying to woo somepony else!

“They're, um... a present.” No, no, no! “Um. To eat, I mean. Not... not anything else...”

“Ooh, a present! Presents are fun!” Pinkie looked up at the cloud house, which was silly, because her eyes were still closed. She leaned toward Fluttershy and whispered loudly, “But you might have to wait for a while. Dashie likes to sleep in.”

“Oh... really.”

“I heard that!”

Rainbow Dash spiralled lazily down from her house. “Hey Fluttershy, hey Pinkie. What's up?”

Pinkie bounded forward sightlessly to meet the weatherpony, and ended up missing by several degrees. “Hey Dashie! Fluttershy brought snacks!”

“Oh, that's cool. Thanks, 'Shy. I could use a bite.” Rainbow stifled a yawn. “And, uh, why are you here Pinkie? No offense or anything, but I kinda need to get going for weather patrol.”

Pinkie couldn't keep her eyes shut any longer. They snapped open as wide as saucers. “Oh! I almost forgot! Here!” She pulled a couple of slips of card from somewhere and handed one to Rainbow and one to Fluttershy. The pegasi took the cards and put them down on the grass to read.

“Gummy's half-birthday?” said Rainbow Dash.

“Yup! This Saturday!” Pinkie was bouncing on the spot with party excitement.

“Uhh... okay,” said Rainbow. “Listen, I sorta slept in, so I really have to go. The party sounds awesome. Thanks for the breakfast, 'Shy.” She took the bouquet under one foreleg and swooped off, munching on the tulips.

Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy watched Rainbow fade into the blue of the sky. The pegasus urged herself to say something. To explain away the flowers. To ask about the party. To say how she felt.

Then she said, “I should go feed the animals.”

“Okay, Fluttershy! I'm gunna deliver the rest of the invitations. See you later!” And the pink pony bounced off.

Rarity was going to be so disappointed.

***

“I am so disappointed! How could she fail to respond to a beautiful gift?”

Rarity was reclining – well, despairing – on a sofa in Fluttershy's cottage. Fluttershy placed a bowl of carrot salad on the low table in front of the sofa, and Rarity magicked a forkful toward her mouth.

“It wasn't, um, that bad,” said Fluttershy. “She didn't even seem to notice. So at least nopony got the wrong idea.”

“Darling, what is there to misunderstand about your l'amore?” said Rarity without a trace of irony. “Are you sure you don't want some yourself? I hate to be the only one eating.”

“I'm not hungry. I'm sorry.” Fluttershy curled up on a second bench opposite Rarity.

Rarity pursed her lips, in between bites of salad. “What we need... is to go bigger. Yes, anypony can do flowers! It's no wonder Rainbow Dash didn't notice your advance.”

Should she say anything? Probably, but it would be embarassing to explain the mistake. And then she'd have to admit who her real crush was and it would all be very difficult. So instead Fluttershy simply asked, “What do you suggest?”

“A grand romantic gesture is the way to go, darling. I've read all about it. But I'm afraid that there's no one-size-fits-all approach.” The fashionista shuddered at her own turn of phrase. “It needs to be something from the heart. Something that shows your utmost devotion.”

“What does that mean?”

“It means that it has to be very expensive. Or demandingly hoof-made.”

“Oh... I don't know if I could do that.”

“Surely there's something?” The note of anxiousness in Rarity's voice surprised Fluttershy.

Expensive was right out, but maybe there was a skill she could use. The pegasus looked around her cottage. Dozens of creatures met her eyes: critters of fur, feather or scale that she was caring for at the moment. What could she do with that? Offer to look after Gummy? No, that was silly. She did know a little about herbs, but she couldn't think of any particularly romantic ones. Occasionally she carved wood – to make simple tools, such as crutches for an injured squirrel or mouse – but she wasn't very good at that.

Her gaze fell on a wardrobe door.

That was where she kept their Gala dresses, one of which she'd sewn.

“Actually, Rarity... if it's not too much trouble, I mean... after lunch, could you get me some fabric?”

***

It seemed like half of Ponyville had been invited.

Pinkie had been forbidden from using Sugarcube Corner – the twins needed their sleep – so Gummy's party had taken over the town hall. Inside and out, dozens of ponies milled around: drinking punch, chatting, laughing, dancing. A pony with a cello seemed to be fighting to make her tune heard over the pounding electromagic music. Balloons and streamers festooned every beam or pillar that would hold them. Tables creaked beneath the weight of party nibbles. Even a few market stalls had sprung up.

Fluttershy locked her wings against her body, trying to make herself small as she navigated the throng. The package she was carrying under one wing dug into her feathers uncomfortably.

Gummy was in the middle of the floor, dancing up a storm in his alligator way. Rarity was in a corner, whispering something to Rainbow Dash, who looked skeptical. Applejack was by a table, peering at the food with confusion. A few other ponies caught Fluttershy's eye, but in a place like this, most ponies just became nameless faces.

And there – there was Pinkie Pie, in the heart of it all. She bounced through the crowd, distributing smiles, laughs, and baked goods to everypony she encountered. She was completely at easy with the crowded and noisy atmosphere.

No, not just at ease; she positively thrived. That was something Fluttershy could only marvel at.

“Hey there, Fluttershy!” Pinkie said as she looped past. “Want a muffin? It's my new flavour, fabulous frosted fruit f... f...” Her face scrunched up in thought.

Fluttershy giggled. “I'll take one.” Her voice was lost in the noise, but Pinkie passed her a muffin and then bounced away.

Fluttershy gave the muffin a nibble (it was covered in pink strawberry frosting) before remembering. “Oh – wait!” But Pinkie was already gone.

It took her a few moments to spot the bright pink pony again, somehow already at the far end of the hall. Fluttershy thought about flying over, but she was holding the package under her wing. Besides, there was hardly any room to take off. So she ambled over, dodging other party-goers and making many apologies for almost running into ponies along the way.

“But if it's sweet and it's got frosting on it, ain't it a cupcake, not a muffin?” Applejack was talking to Pinkie now.

“Huh!” Pinkie peered at one of her muffins-cum-cupcakes. “I hadn't thought of it that way. But I thought they were muffins when I made them! What are you?” she said to the baked confection. “Muffin or cupcake? Cupcake or muffin? Muffincake?”

Fluttershy swallowed. “Um. Excuse me, Pinkie Pie? Could we talk? I mean, if you're not busy...”

Pinkie looked up from her deep philosophical musings and grinned. “Sure, Fluttershy! What do you wanna talk about?”

“Can... Can we go someplace quiet first?

“Okey dokey lokey!”

Pinkie led Fluttershy to an unobtrusive door at the side of the hall. The room within was dark, lit only by Luna's starlight streaming in a small window. Wooden sitting benches were stacked from wall to wall. Pinkie shut the door, somewhat muffling the sounds of the party, and turned to the pegasus expectantly.

Fluttershy's throat was dry. She kept swallowing. But it was too late to back out now. “I, um, I have something for you.”

Pinkie gasped and leaned forward. “What is it? A letter? A present for me? Presents are fun! One time my sisters found a really shiny rock and they gave it to me as a present but then Pappy Pie said it was a...”

Fluttershy reached under her wing, pulled out the package and offered it to Pinkie. It was flat and floppy, wrapped in brown paper.

“It is a present!” The party pony tore into it with her teeth, quickly revealing the gown within. She wasted no time in wriggling her way into it.

It was a graceful design. Airy and unobstructive, with simple pieces and smooth lines. A midnight blue blouse overlaid with strips of lighter blue, connecting to a long skirt with an understated ruffle. It fit perfectly – Fluttershy had borrowed the measurements from some of Rarity's notes – and though she hadn't had much time to put it together, she was proud of its elegance.

It wasn't until she saw it being worn that she realised how un-Pinkie it was.

“Wow!” said Pinkie Pie, wearing a goofy grin and twisting at an improbable angle to look at herself. “It's something! Something's my favourite, you know. Rarity's such a great designer!”

Oh no.

“Rarity's... not the only one who can...” Fluttershy mumbled, resettling her wings uncomfortably. She looked over Pinkie again. What had she been thinking? She'd wanted to be sure it was a good gift. It had been so important to get the dress right that she'd forgotten what 'right' was.

Still, the blue did highlight her eyes...

“Whatcha looking at?” said Pinkie.

Fluttershy started as she realised she was staring. “Oh. Um. N-nothing. Just... nothing.” She ducked behind her mane.

“Okey dokey lokey! I oughta get back to Gummy's party. There's a lot more cupmuffins to share!”

“Oh... okay.” She couldn't even look up.

“See ya, Fluttershy! Enjoy the party!” And Pinkie opened the door and was gone.