• Published 25th Aug 2018
  • 1,252 Views, 46 Comments

Fallout: Equestria - Remembrance - Pwincess Twiwee



After being activated and leaving her home bunker, Sweetie Belle (bot) must journey out into the post-apocalyptic world of Equestria in order to discover the fate of her namesake. Piecing together the past along the way.

  • ...
5
 46
 1,252

Prologue: From the Ashes

Author's Note:

This is my first public attempt at writing a Fallout: Equestria fic, based in the universe and head canon that I and RuinQueenofOblivion share. I don't really know how well this all is going to go, or if I'll ever finish it, but I figure I'll never know if I don't try.

So read, enjoy, feel free to give feedback and criticisms.

“On this day, our day of remembrance, on the anniversary of the day our enemies rained unspeakable horrors down from the heavens, we take a moment to remember love and loss, to remember those who's stories ended far too soon, and to remember those who no longer have a voice of their own. Two hundred years ago, we retreated from the horrors that became of our homes, and into the safety and security underground, where we'll stay, and we'll wait, and we'll remember.

But, as we take this moment to reflect on our past, remember to look to the future, to think about the young ones yet to come. Think about how their stories may shape and guide the lands, and remember to protect them from the horrors that forced our retreat, remember to treat them with love and kindness, keep the hatred that consumed our ancestors from their hearts. Have them never know the horrors or fear of war, make the concept of it all alien to them so they may never make the mistakes we made, because war never remembers who it has destroyed, it doesn't know mercy to forgive those who cross it, war will never bring harmony, or friendship, because war...

War Never Changes.”

Sighing as he reached for the eject button on his pipbuck, removing that holotape from the tray before just sitting back and relaxing. Sighing once more to himself before he spoke in a gravely raspy voice.

“Two hundred years already...” He said, rubbing a hoof across his face. “Has it really been that long? Seems like everything was just yesterday.”

“It's actually been a bit over 210, sire.” His robotic companion said, hovering next to his chair.

“Really? Where does the time go.” He said, groaning as he moved to sit up, looking about the workshop he had known and called home since the bombs fell. “No matter, we still have work to do.”

“Sire, you really shouldn't be getting up, you aren't well.” His robot said, hovering up behind him. “I may be programmed to help you with your day to day tasks, but I cannot override my basic medical programming. You need rest.”

“I'll rest when I'm dead.” He said, starting to move towards a workbench across the room. “I can feel my mind slipping, It's getting harder and harder to remember basic things, or even how to do the most basic of tasks.”

“I have heard of this before, on other radio broadcasts.” His robot spoke, keeping pace behind him. “They call it going Feral, and that all ghouls such as yourself, will eventually turn feral.”

“I know what's called Unique, I know what it does to ponies, what it'll do to me. It's why I must finish my work before I'm too far gone” He said with a growl to his voice before he turned around to face his companion. “Help me or not, I need to finish her, if not for myself, for her.”

“I understand sire, but you really need to rest.” Unique said with a simulated sigh. “Straining yourself is only progressing your condition quicker, not to mention I am certain you have something else.”

“I've kept tabs on the condition, I know what's happening, if I don't finish this, I never will.” He said before turning and heading over to his workbench, sitting down and pulling over a circuit board. Looking it over and scratching at his head before letting out a growl of frustration. “Why doesn't any of this make sense to me!”

“Sire, that's one of the discarded boards...” Unique said, concern rising in her simulated voice. “That particular module was finished two months ago and has already been installed.”

“Alright miss funnybot, what was I working on then.” He said, spinning round in his chair to face her once more.

“You were working on her eye lenses, over there.” Unique said, lifting a claw and pointing to another workbench across the room. “I believe you cracked one before you decided to head to bed last night.”

“You have got to be kidding me...” He said, leaning against the back of his chair and rubbing his hooves across his face “Fine, we'll just use the old set.”

“Should I go get her?” Unique said, lowering an eye stalk to look him in his eyes. “She is nearly complete, after her eyes are done all we have left is to install the jewel.”

“The jewel... The jewel... What jewel?” He said, looking confused more than ever.

“Her Jewel, the one that goes at the base of her horn and should allow her to channel magic from her core through it to cast basic spells.” Unique said, before hovering off, coming back with a crate carefully packed.

“Are you sure you are ready for this, sire?” Unique said, looking to him increasingly concerned. “Last time you worked directly on her, you could barely hold back tears.”

“I don't expect you to understand, you're just a robot, but when you design something to look, sound, feel, smell, be everything that somepony close to you ever was, It's always going to be emotional to work on them.” He said “She is more than just a robot, she's my daughter, in more ways than one.”

“In a way, she is my daughter too.” Unique added. “I have been with you since she was nothing more than a blueprint, I helped you lay her first wires, I was there the day you activated her core for the first time.”

“I suppose you're right.” He said, looking at the crate before he stood and walked beside it, undoing some of the clasps that held it together. “We started this together, you and me, let's finish it together. What do you say to that?”

“I would be honored, Sire.” Unique said, claws unclasping her side's locks. Releasing the sides of the crate and moving them aside, revealing inside a robotic pony-like figure.

“Almost as beautiful as I remember.” He said, with a soft smile, looking to unique. “What can I say, she has her 'mothers' eyes.” He jokingly said, clearly teasing at his robotic companion.

“Nonsense, she clearly has her father’s eyes.” Unique said, not missing a beat. “My eyes are clearly blue, while yours, and hers are most definitely green.”

“Yeah, you're right, those are definitely my eyes.” he said, lifting a hoof to run across the synthetic membrane that covered her barrel. “Though she has her mother's color, that's for sure.”

“I must say, white does suit her.” Unique said, hovering over to his side and laying a claw over his back. “In many ways, I feel I know her real mother.”

“The real one's mother?” He said, with a sigh. “Yeah, I programmed you to be a lot like her, with a lot of the memories I could muster. I've made some mistakes, I left and abandoned her with my real daughter to pursue my career, I can't believe how stupid I was.”

“I think you made the right choice, else wise I would of never met you.” Unique said, turning her eye stalks to face him, If she had a mouth she would most definitely be smiling at him. “And we would of never have had the chance to make this remarkable beat of engineering, and love.”

“Yeah, I guess you're right.” He said with a chuckle.

“Of course I am darling.” Unique said, before she gently lifted a claw to shift and adjust that robotic pony's mane. “You did a fantastic job at making her very lifelike, to some, it may be hard to tell she isn't alive.”

The two sat silently side by side, marveling in what they had created together. Tears welling up in his eyes as he looked at that robot, that pony, he had created in homage to his daughter.

“Let's get to work.” He said softly, his horn glowing weakly as he hovered over the lenses for her, having Unique gently open the soft membranes that covered her eyes, slotting the lenses in place and giving them a gentle shift to make sure they seated and bonded with her eyes properly. “Alright, get the power feed, let's see how her systems look.”

Unique gave her best nod before she hovered over to a nearby coil of cable, bringing them over and dropping them beside him before she helped open an access port on her chest, plugging in that cable the hiss and hum of electric motors and hydraulic lines pressurizing could be heard. “So far so good.” Unique said, keeping an eye on the diagnostic screen behind the panel.

“Very good, so far everything is checking out green. How about you shunt some power to her eyes, lets see if everything is working properly up there.” He said, waiting to see if those eyes began to glow the green he'd come to expect. When they illuminated he would let out a soft cheer “I'm glad we went with these lenses, they look much better now that they're lit up.”

“Excellent.” Unique said and chuckled in her own special way. “Shall I get the gem?” To which he nodded, and she hovered off, leaving him a moment alone with his creation.

“Listen to me.” He softly whispered. “You're going to do great things in your life, I can feel it. You're the product of love and technology, and you're as much my daughter as the pony I modeled you on ever was.” He paused, taking a moment to stifle his crying and wipe a tear from his eye. “I'm sorry, I'm not going to be there for that though. I'm not going to see the end of your mission, and I'm hoping that you can understand.”

“Sire, I can't seem to find the...” Unique said as she hovered back, seeing him with his creation she stopped “Oh, I am sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt.”

“You didn't interrupt Unique.” He said softly. “You're here at just the right time.” He said, his horn glowing and a shard of gem coming from his coat pocket. “I had it, I just wanted a moment alone with her.”

“You could of just asked.” Unique said before she came over and gently lifted the horn to reveal the cradle for the gem. “This is a very big moment for you, and for her.”

“You have no idea, she's my legacy, everything I strove to be, everything I ever wanted to do in my life.” He said, placing the shard in its cradle. “My second chance to be a father, but I'm going to end up abandoning her again.”

“Sire, don't speak like that, you don't have to be absent from her life.” Unique protested. “You and I can travel with her on her mission.”

“No, you need to stay here, and I'm not safe to travel with her, not with my condition.” He said with a sigh.

“Don't be absurd, you have many years left in you, you'll see.” Unique said, a virtual sadness welling up in her vocal processors.

“Unique, You're amazing, you've always been helpful and kind, taken care of me when I got sick, been there through thick and thin.” He said with a smile. “You know that it's true, I'm going to turn feral, it could be tomorrow, it could be a week from now, it might be a month from now, but it's not years away.”

“Nonsense!” Unique said, “We will find a way to preserve your mind and keep you here, you have many great things left to do, you cannot be thinking like this!”

“Unique, Activate her power core.” He said, his expression growing more stoic and his voice growing more emotionless. “Bring her systems online, fully. Time to wake her up.”

Unique went to protest, but she could tell he wasn't about to listen to her argument. Deciding it was best to just listen to him, she flipped the system from diagnostic to run. A hum growing inside that armored alloy shell as the power core built in power. Servos unlocking and the whole form of that robotic pony started to quiver as the coolant started to flow and joints started to warm.

Mere moments later, she opened her eyes and the power cable disengaged from her chest. Unique closing the door as the robo-pony stood there under her own power. “Systems online.” She softly said, before she looked between them “Unique! Father!” She said with a bright smile before she hugged the both of them.

“Good Morning, Sweetie.” He softly whispered to his creation. “Did you sleep well?”

“Very! I feel like a million caps!” She said eagerly in return.

“All systems functioning within normal parameters?” Unique questioned, looking down at that robot pony. “Nothing exceeding safe tolerances, right?”

“Nope! None at all!” That robotic pony said as she looked between them, expression turning from excitement to concern. “You two, don't look very happy, is something wrong?”

“Your father is...” Unique started.

“Very ill.” He completed, cutting Unique off. “I don't have much time before I need to go, and I wanted to get you started and out on your way before that happens.”

“You're dying?” The synthetic filly said. Sitting and tilting her head curiously “is there anything I can do to help?”

“Yes, there is. What is your designation, model number, and mission.” he said softly, looking at his robotic daughter.

“Sweetie Belle, Sweetie for short. Model Number... I don't have a model number, I'm one of a kind! And My mission is to find anything remaining of the original Sweetie Belle, or her mother, Rarity.”

“Very good Sweetie.” He said softly. “Now you go with Unique, Daddy has some business to take care of. Unique, would you be a dear and run some final diagnostics on her, make sure her system monitors are correct.”

“Sire, that equipment is in the other room, are you sure it is safe for me to leave you here alone?” Unique said, looking at him, to which he just nodded and smiled before he motioned for the two of them to leave.

The two went to the other room, Sweetie sitting on a table and letting Unique open access panels and plug several sets of wires into diagnostic ports across her body. Humming a soft tune to herself to pass the time.

“So Unique. What's going to happen to Dad?” Sweetie asked.

“He's going to turn feral.” Unique said, with a simulated sigh. “he's losing his mind to the radiation he's been exposed to, He's going to stop being himself.”

“That sounds terrible.” Sweetie said, sadness coming across her face as she shifted her gaze downward. “Is there anything we can do?”

“I am afraid not sweetheart.” Unique said, giving her primary eye stalk a shake. “This is something that he is going to have to come to terms wit-”

She was cut off mid sentence by the sound of a loud bang from the other room, Unique looking at sweetie before she rushed over to the door leading to the main chamber.

“You stay here, I need to go check on your father.” Unique said before disappearing through the door. Sweetie could tell something was wrong but was unsure what, she leaned and tried to look but found that Unique had purposely covered the door.

Moments passed that felt like eternity, before that Miss Nancy came back through the door. “Sweetie, I am afraid your father has... passed.” She said, a sound of complete sadness in her synthesized voice. “I believe, it would be best if you left and started your mission.”

Sweetie was stunned, looking at that robot before her before she looked to the doorway that lead to the way out. Sighing to herself as she slipped off the table she had been sitting on, disconnecting the wires and buttoning up her shell before she looked to Unique.

“Unique, Take care.” Sweetie said softly. “I'll be back, and I'll make sure I have something to tell him, even if it's just to his grave.”

With that, the determined little bot started towards the door, not another word was said as she walked down that access corridor. Reaching the ladder that reached up to the surface she stopped and looked back, to see Unique hovering in the doorway at the start of the hallway.

“You too, Sweetie.” Unique said softly. “Your father and I, we love you.”

Sweetie smiled, before she turned and started her way up that ladder, minutes later she crested the peak and found herself in a small shed, swinging open the door she took her first steps into the wasteland. Only to stop, she felt something loose in her casing. Opening an access panel she found a holotape, written across it, just a single simple word, Remember.

She stopped, and gave it a listen. Moments later as the tape ended she just looked out at the wasteland, to the horizon, to the ruined town in the distance, and mirrored the last words spoken on that tape.

“Because War. War never changes.”