• Published 14th Aug 2018
  • 175 Views, 11 Comments

The Facade of Borders - SketchTheWitch



Short, connected vignettes about ponies living in a quickly changing, slowly crumbling world.

  • ...
 11
 175

The Adventure Begins

Not all that wander are lost, but Echo sure was. She had gotten up early to continue trekking through the wood. She, of course, was lost physically. That didn't matter to her, though. She was too lost in thought. She hoped her family didn't miss her too much. She had left in quite the hurry, after all, and chamilia families are very close. However, their definition of family differs from most ponies’.

Chamilia live in small groups with maybe 25 ponies at the most. Echo’s family had 15. She knew everyone's name, their family, their occupation, and so on. Then again, there isn't that much to remember when nothing happens outside your family’s plot of land. Everyone worked in their little clearing in the dense forests of the Pine Islands.

Some jobs included herding Woolwillows (colorful and fluffy chihuahua-sized sheeplike creatures), tilling the land, planting seeds, tending to the crops, and Echo’s job: watching the young ones. She loved to make the little ones laugh. It was hard for her to decide to leave. She can't forget the talk she had with Dove, the elder.

“I think I want to leave with the next boat.” She stated firmly and confidently.

“Oh? Alright, well I heard one might come soon, so you'll need to tell the foals.” She shifted in her uncomfortable wool-covered wooden chair. Chamilia were known to be very against materialism.

“W-Wait...what? I didn't think it'd be so soon. I could wait, but it could be a while before another ship comes by!”

“Echo, I know you. If you wait, you'll never leave. That begs the question, then, how bad do you really want this? If you leave, it could be years until you return, if ever.”

Of course she'd return! Dove was just old and cranky. So Echo left. She said goodbye to all the the foals and all her friends and snuck aboard the ship. That was a rather easy task. Chamilia, along with their clear fur that acts like prisms to change their color, have a small bit of magic to change their appearance. She would look taller, and a bit more colorful than her white-on-white normal self. She mimicked the mane of a rather pretty pink pony she saw also board the ship. Her plan worked perfectly until she was found out and exiled.

“Those Coltsenians are pretty rude, huh, Echo?” She mumbled to herself. Using a slightly different voice, she responded, “They sure are! But we'll find our way out of this. We have to, or else we'll never go home!”

“But… So what if we don't?”

“That's a good point, Echo. What if we don't?”

“Well…” She hesitated. “Well then we won't see anyone from home.”

“But you already said your goodbyes!”

“Okay, Echo, you're not helping anymore. Goodbye.” She huffed and shook her head, as if she was shaking away the ghost of her other self.

She remained quiet as she made her way through the woods.

~*~

Several tents sat neatly on the beach as simple huts were being constructed behind them. All was quiet besides the sound of the waves and a crying foal. Her crying mixed with the bright red sunrise told everyone in the camp that it was time to wake up. Phoenix took it upon himself to do the headcount as sore and sleepy bodies inched out of their temporary homes.

“Where are Bright Burst and Lit Wick?” He asked. Tired eyes glanced around camp. Even their tent was gone… and a small wagon.

“Must’ve left early.” One mare mentioned. They all knew Chef’s plan for them, but had expected them to at least say goodbye.

“Well, that was their choice. We need to get started, who knows how cold it will get.” Everyone agreed, and Phoenix began delegating tasks. It was hard work, especially for only 10 ponies, but Phoenix knew they would soon be joined my more escapees. This group was only the initiates of a massive movement for freedom.

~*~

It was just before sunrise when Bright Burst left with her sister. She didn’t care about anyone else in the camp. There was no reason to. They were only names and faces she could recognize. None of them had helped her, except Chef.The plan was simple. Get deep into Equestria, find an orphanage, get adopted by a rich Equestrian family that would take her and her sister.

“Sissy, I’m hungry.” A sleepy filly whined from under the canvas of the tent.

“I know, Wick, but we gotta keep moving, You wanna find a home, don’t you?”

“Why did we leave everyone?”

“They’re not ready for Equestria like we are. Shut up and go back to sleep.” Bright Burst loved her sister, of course, but she needed some peace and quiet. She looked down at her compass and sighed. ‘Chef better be right about this town…’ she thought to herself. ‘A bucking map would’ve been nice.’

The walk was long, but easy. There was a thin trail that lead them through the forest, though it was hard to get the wagon through at times. The pine trees towered over them, but it somehow felt safe. Bright had been worried about feeling homesick, but everything about Equestria was so welcoming, it reminded Bright of the myth of the Lotus Eaters. The trees around them began to grow sparser, and more spread out. The pine covered ground began to show small sprigs of soft, green grass. Bright felt her heart pound faster as they slowly left the trees behind. Up ahead, The now setting sun softly illuminated a town. No, not a town...a city. It was a small city, but the biggest one Bright had ever seen.

“We’re almost there, Wick!” Bright’s short legs were sore, but she found just enough strength to run into the city, taking only a brief moment to notice the sign, “WELCOME TO TALLTALE.”

Of course, Bright could only stumble her way through speaking in Ponish, and couldn’t understand what the sign said. She trotted her way into the city, past bustling mares and stallions, too busy to pay her any mind. She looked around for anyone who might be able to help her. She walked up and down streets filled with the sound of busy hoof steps and music she had never heard before. It was loud, and fun, and seemed to have a mind of it’s own that begged you to dance with the notes.

“H-Hallo!” She called out to a mare. She stopped and looked at her.

“Listen, kiddo, I don’t got any change and I’m already late for my spot. I’d invite you in, but you’re a bit young to swing with the grownups.” She winked at her before heading into the building.

Bright snorted a bit. Too young for some music? She went to enter anyways, briefly forgetting about the wagon on her back. She was halted by a whistle.

“Ay, kid! Whaddya think you’re doing?” A large stallion in some sort of blue uniform asked as he approached her.

“I going to go shwing.” She smiled wide.

“Not with that wagon. And you ain’t old enough for a swing joint like that. What, they ain’t got laws were you come from?”

Bright resisted the urge to argue. “Do you know vhere I can go? Me and my sister need home.”

“Damn foreigners keep dragging their kids here and leavin’ ‘em.” He rolled his eyes. “They gone or what? You lookin’ for ‘em, or do we gotta put you in the orphanage?”

“Ve need… more into Ekestria. T...Train?” She was pretty sure that was the right word. She had never seen a train, but knew that it would be faster than walking.

“If it gets you outta my city… You got train money, kiddo?” He saw Bright’s face turn pink as she shoot her head. “Listen…” he sighed, “this ain’t a city for kids, even foreign ones. I’ll get you more inland, but you ain’t never met me. ‘Specially if you go and start stealin’ or causin’ trouble.”

“Yes! Tank you!” She squealed. Lit Wick popped her head up and rubbed her eyes. She had been sleeping for most of their trip.

“Gah! There’s two of ya?! Little monsters… let’s get you the hell outta my mane.” He grumbled as he lead them to the train station. Bright sat on the ground as the officer talked to the ticket pony.

“Listen, you owe me a favor anyways. Plus, I don’t want any more’a these foreigners in the city. Just gimme the damn tickets or the next time I find you wander ‘round drunk as one’a dem pirates, I’m sendin’ your ass to jail.”

“You always did have a soft spot for kids. Fine, I’ll get ‘em outta here.” The pony slid over two tickets. The officer handed them over to the fillies.

“Don’t let me catch you here ever again. This ain’t a good city, and these ain’t good ponies. Especially not to foreigners. Be safe, and try and lose the accent.” He gave them an almost sympathetic look before heading back into the heart of the city. Bright felt bad about just leaving, but she knew there was nothing she could do for the officer, except take his advice. She was quiet as she boarded the train with her sister. As she handed the tickets over, she noticed the officer had slipped them a couple bits. Just enough for a little something to eat on their ride to find their new home.

Author's Note:

Wow so I think this is my favorite chapter so far. We’re really getting into the full story. Jumping around will be very common, especially as our characters spread out. I absolutely loved writing the last section!