• Published 5th Aug 2018
  • 1,375 Views, 22 Comments

Twilight Sparkle's Worst Day Ever - CapNTilfy



Twilight finds herself in predicament after predicament throughout the day. Book Five of "Not Just Any Other Old Day".

  • ...
4
 22
 1,375

En Route

Twilight reached her car, then set Spike down on the passenger seat and buckled him in. "Stay there, I'm getting a band-aid!" She said, and hurried over to the bathroom to grab a bandage. She grabbed one, then ran back to the car. "Okay, hold still for a minute." She said, applying the bandage to Spike's injury.

Twilight got into the driver's seat, then revved the engine. "All right, let's book it!" She said, feeling panicked. She tore out of the driveway, creating skid marks on the way out.

"Uh...Twilight?" Spike said as he looked up at her. Twilight's eyes were wide and tear-filled. Her lips were open, revealing her clenched teeth. Sweat droplets were visible on her forehead, and thanks to his sensitive hearing, her could tell she was nearly hyperventilating. "Twilight?" If she heard him, Twilight gave no indication. She was in a full-blown panic.

Goddammit, goddammit, goddammit! This is all my fault! I knew I should have finished that equation the night before, but did I listen to myself? Noooooo! Twilight admonished herself. Because of me, Spike's been injured! I'm never, ever going to do wet chemistry again! She fought back tears. She needed to be focused! She had to get there in time.

Spike sighed, then winced in pain. "Twilight." He tried again, but to no avail. Her eyes were firmly locked on the road in front of her. He'd probably have better luck once they'd reach a stoplight. He decided to wait until then.

Twilight's mind was frantically racing as she hurried to get to the animal hospital, her adrenaline being powered by the guilt she felt. She thought she heard a voice call out her name, but she ignored it. Getting Spike the help he needed was the only priority she had. She thought she heard her name again, but she continued to ignore it as she sped towards her destination. The next sound she heard sent a chill down her spine: A police siren.

Twilight snapped out of her trance and drove over to the shoulder, suddenly understanding the situation she was in. If she wasn't hyperventilating before, she most certainly was now. She stopped the car, but her grip on the steering wheel was that of a vice. She sniffled, realizing that her fight against her tears was now a war of attrition. With great effort, she took her hands off of the steering wheel, then reached into her pocket for her wallet, knowing all too well what was coming.

"License and registration." The police officer said. Twilight wordlessly handed them over, still holding back tears. "You do realize that you were speeding and that you passed a couple of red lights, correct?" Twilight nodded, not willing to face the officer. Sensing something was amiss, the officer asked. "Ma'am? Is everything okay?" In that instant, Twilight lost her inner battle and broke. She laid her head on the steering wheel as she cried out all the fear, the frustration and the guilt that held sway over her. The officer slowly put her hand on Twilight's shoulder in an effort to calm her down.

Surprised, Twilight quickly turned her head, startling the officer. "I'm...I'm sorry. I've had a rough morning. I accidentally injured my dog and I want to get him to the animal hospital." She said between sobs. "I got distracted for one stupid moment, and it's all my fault! And to top it all off, now I'm getting my first speeding ticket!" She continued to sob, hitting her head on the horn which caused the car to honk. The police officer and Spike jumped, startled by the horn. The officer sighed, and waited for Twilight to calm down.

After a few minutes, Twilight finally calmed down. She sighed heavily, then looked at the officer. "I'm sorry you had to see that. Like I said, it's been a rough morning." She made a sputtering noise. "Okay, I'll take the ticket. I was in kind of a panic there."

The officer gave Twilight a sympathetic look. "Well, ma'am, since this is only your first offense, I'm going to let you off with a warning."

Twilight breathed a deep sigh of relief. "Thank you, officer. I'll try to keep my cool next time. I've been so seriously stressed out lately." She smiled sincerely.

"As long as you've learned your lesson and don't make the same mistake. Then I'll have to write you up." The officer said. "Have a good day, ma'am." The officer gave Twilight her license and registration back, then returned to her car.

Twilight wiped a tear from her eyes, then turned to look at Spike. "I'm sorry I didn't listen to you sooner. I was just so freaked out, and I feel responsible for your injury." She said, sighing again.

"It's okay, Twilight. I get that you're worried about me, and I totally appreciate it." Spike said, smiling. "Besides, this paw?" He said, raising his injured paw, flinching. "Ow. Okay, probably shouldn't do that again." He said, smiling sheepishly. "Anyway, my point is that it wasn't your fault, and I don't blame you for it. I just did what any of your friends would have done in that situation. I'd rather it be me with the glass in my paw than you with glass anywhere on your body."

Twilight started to tear up again. "Oh, Spike. You're the best dog a girl could ever, ever ask for." She said, hugging him carefully. "When we get home I'm going to give a treat as thanks." She smiled.

"That sounds like a plan to me." Spike said. "Now how about we head on over to the animal hospital? I don't want this shard in my paw forever, you know." He said with a grin, then another wince of pain.

Twilight smiled warmly. "Yeah. Thanks, Spike. I feel much better."

Spike smiled back. "Glad I could help."

"Now let me help you. Twilight said as she started up the engine. "Hang in there, we'll be there soon enough."