• Published 12th Jul 2018
  • 695 Views, 21 Comments

Another Day in Ponyville - AnOrdinaryWriter



Everything is alright in Ponyville. It seems that way, at least.

  • ...
1
 21
 695

Story 3

“And then they fly downwards, forming a ring around the center as I wait underneath the stadium. Then I open my wings wide, and push off the ground, flying into the air at an impossibly high speed and BOOM!” Rainbow screamed, fidgeting in her bed as she replayed her imagining of the show in her mind over and over again. “Sonic rainboom blasts off above, shining colors down on all the spectators. My ears are filled with the ongoing cheers of, ‘Rainbow Dash, you’re the best!’ ‘You’re the best flyer in all of Equestria Rainbow Dash’” Rainbow let out a loud cheer, but was interrupted when she heard a faint noise which sounded somewhat like a spark outside her door, followed by five quick knocks.

“Whoops,” Rainbow Dash said to herself. “Was I that loud?”

Sliding off the bed and onto her hooves, Rainbow headed over to the door and opened it. The sunlight from outdoors instantly flooded the inside of the cloud house, partially shaded by the purple unicorn standing on the front porch.

“Oh, hey Twilight,” Rainbow said, and was suddenly caught by surprise to see the unicorn standing at her door. “Twilight?!”

“Um… yeah?” Twilight responded, confused.

“How are you up here right now?” she spoke loudly, bewildered at the sight of Twilight in front of her, who gave Rainbow a deadpan look before raising her magenta wings high.

“Oh, that’s right,” Rainbow said, chuckling in embarrassment. She lifted a hoof and scratched the back of her neck. “Sorry, I haven’t quite adjusted to you being an alicorn yet.”

Twilight’s look was replaced with one of sympathy. “It doesn’t matter, I sometimes forget I’m an alicorn too, and I end up startling myself when I look in the mirror.”

“Yeah, I mean it’s not really that surprising, it hasn’t even been a year since you’ve had those things, but you’ve become one heck of a flyer in that short amount of time, I’ll tell you that,” Rainbow proudly announced, and opened the door all the way. “Come on in.”

“Thanks,” Twilight said, and entered the house. Rainbow closed the door and turned to Twilight.

“So, what’s up?” she asked.

“Nothing much, just wanted to see how you’re doing. The New Year ceremony is in a couple days.” As Twilight replied, her eyes darted around the room, examining the photos of past adventures of theirs on the cloud walls, and the shelves stacked with trophies and different awards from Rainbow Dash’s youth. She spotted the Best Young Flyer award on the top row of one of the shelves and was reminded of the day she performed that sonic rainboom at cloudsdale. She remembered that day like it was yesterday, and grew a sad feeling when looking at it for some reason.

“I know. It’s so exciting!” Rainbow said ebulliently, pulling Twilight out of her train of thought. She tried to recall where the conversation had left off. “By the way, I have a surprise. I’m going to be performing alongside the Wonderbolts during the air show!” Her eyes lit up and a wide smile was pasted on her face.

“I heard about that, congratulations Rainbow!”

Rainbow’s expression turned from blissful to disappoint. “You knew already? I wanted to surprise you, who told you?”

“Fluttershy actually spread the news to all of us.”

“Fluttershy? How’d she know?” Rainbow asked, almost shocked.

“No clue,” Twilight responded, now sending Rainbow towards the depths of confusion. “You are a Wonderbolt yourself though, so I kind of assumed you would be performing in the show anyways.” Twilight noticed Rainbow’s disappointed face and added. “According to Fluttershy, Rarity did freak out when she heard about the news.”

Rainbow giggled slightly. “Really? That must have been one heck of a show.”

“Considering everypony at the train station was staring at her, yeah, I’d say so.”

The two ponies laughed, enjoying their time together, even if it meant making fun of their friend to appease them. Rarity’s freak outs were nothing short of hilarious, whether she was angry, excited, or acting downright crazy, and all of her friends could admit that.

“Speaking of you in the air show, I heard you’re going to be performing a sonic rainboom.”

“That’s right! I’m going to be underneath the stadium until the Wonderbolts fly down towards the center of the stadium and form a ring. Then, I’m going to fly up through the circle formation and set off the rainboom just above the stadium.” She pictured what she was saying in her mind, increasing her hype for the occasion. “Isn’t that sick? This couldn’t be any cooler!”

“That sounds great, Rainbow.” Twilight’s voice lacked the enthusiasm Rainbow expected, and her face had the same disappointed expression Rainbow had before.

“What’s wrong?” Rainbow quizzically asked.

“Nothing. I just kind of wish I had a more exciting role during the ceremony. Applejack is providing apple pastries, Rarity is providing the dresses, Fluttershy is partaking in the music, Pinkie Pie… well to be honest I have no idea what she’s doing, and you’re flying with the Wonderbolts during the show. I’m just giving a speech that barely lasts a minute. I guess I wish there was more I could do.”

Rainbow looked towards the ground, thinking of ways to reply. “Giving a speech is exciting… kind of—I mean you’re giving a speech to everyone in Ponyville, and you’re a princess now which means everypony looks up to you. You should consider that an honor.”

“Yeah, I guess…” a smile appeared on the unicorn’s face. “Actually when you put it that way, I feel kind of better.”

“There you go, see? When you’re not happy about something, just look at the positives, you’ll feel a lot better about it.”

Rainbow was a very high spirited pony. That’s what Twilight liked about her. As pesky as she was on the outside, on the inside she truly was a smart pony. In some ways, Rainbow may have been smarter than Twilight.

“Thanks Rainbow.”

“No problem, what are friends for? Oh, by the way, I’m heading off to Cloudsdale to meet up with Spitfire in a bit for a practise, and you’re free to spectate so, wanna?”

“Thanks for the offer, but I have to go back home and practise my speech for the ceremony.”

“You mean your less-than-one-minute speech? I don’t think that’s gonna take much practise.”

“If I don’t have as big of a part in the ceremony, then I want to make the most of it and make sure my speech is perfect.” Twilight had taken note of what Rainbow said about finding the positives in something she wasn’t happy with. If she didn’t have as big of a part as the rest of her friends, she wanted to make that part as best as she possibly could.

“Alright then, suit yourself. I’m gonna go ahead and get my gear packed,” Rainbow said. “Next time I see you will most likely be at the ceremony, so prepare to be overwhelmed by my awesomeness!”

Twilight reached for the door handle, turning it and letting the sunshine brighten the room. “I’ll be sure to do that. Good luck.”

“See ya,” Rainbow concluded before Twilight shut the door, followed by the same teleportation spark she heard before. It sounded different than what it usually sounded like, but Rainbow ignored that detail and put on her safety goggles. She tucked her Rainbow Crash Wonderbolt suit under her foreleg and opened the front door. Stepping outside, she spread out her wings and pushed downwards, becoming airborne, and began making her way to the Wonderbolts headquarters.

A flash of light suddenly appeared beside Rainbow, who looked over startled. It was Twilight.

“On second thought, I think I have time to spare,” the lavender alicorn said. Rainbow shot her a grin, and they both flew towards the floating cloud city.