• Published 15th May 2018
  • 431 Views, 7 Comments

Crystal Book - CherryTune



Discord finds a very ancient book made of crystal whle searching for something else. After interacting with it he knows Twilight Sparkle will want to see it.

  • ...
2
 7
 431

Ch 6. Great Victory?

Chapter 6

*Great Victory?*

Twilight cast her shield over her friends and just as she did she noticed the outer shield was being formed. Once complete, her seal over the shattered chest broke, a dark spire shot out followed by a fountain of miasma, lesser spirits, and the greater dark spirits one by one. After a howling scream and a frenzied flight bouncing around in the bubble, they come together and formed a mammoth dark spirit.

It stomped the ground shooting dark energy outwards. The stone ancients inside started to move and come alive. When they did they started charging Twilight and her friends. Twilight could barely defend herself without spending too much energy. If she did her shields protecting her friends from the miasma would fail. Apple Jack and Rainbow Dash had a relatively easier time defending themselves but Fluttershy and Rarity struggled. Rainbow protected Fluttershy and Apple Jack and Rarity made a well-coordinated team. Pinkie pie had ease avoiding the golems and mostly just made them run circles around each other.

The massive spirit started attacking the barrier. It gouged with its horns and kicked with its legs. “You cannot defeat what we are. We are everything the world will be, we are death itself.” Torment spoke. Its eye darted at Twilight and said. “You’ve seen the future, you know that it’s inevitable.” Torment thrashed striking the barrier created by Discord. “Its gaze quickly shifted to Fluttershy. “You’re ridiculous friendships won’t last forever, eventually everyone hates.” It growled.

“Look beyond your pathetic shield, you have failed, your army has fled.” Torment continued as he let out a breath of miasma, staring at Rainbow Dash. Torment looked at Rarity and said “You can save yourself, just take your leave.” Torment again shifted its gaze. “Such a hard working pony.” It said striking the shield above Apple Jack. “And what do you have to show for it. Nothing!” It turned to Pinkie Pie, struck the ground next to her, its horns dug into the ground beside her while Torment stared down at her. “And you, a façade of smiles. Your anger truly only matched by your brokenness inside.”

Torment reared up one last time and put its full might behind a powerful strike. It made contact on the segment of shield created by Celestia. Torment stared directly her. Celestia gasped as the dome began to crack. Twilight dashed up between the large spirits face and Celesta. It spoke. “Do you really think that you are worth anything? How conceded are you that YOU believe that your actions matter or do you believe the world revolves around you? I am the result of your future, I am the result of all futures.”

Twilight looked away thinking about the future she had shown Starlight Glimmer. She returned her gaze back to Torment saying, “You are no different to anything I’ve faced before. And I am not special, and the world doesn’t revolve around me.” “WE are special, We make the world go round. Not just me and my friends, all of us here together! We make our future. Not you.” She continued in confidence. Just then six beams shot in through the shield striking and binding Torment. It laughed and said “This old trick won’t work. We had time to gain strength.” Torment let out a growl struggled through the bindings and continued to attack the dome from within.

The cracks grew in size, Twilight looked out at Celestia, Tempest, and Luna. From her vantage point she saw the creatures of Equestria embattled and beaten. Twilight turned looked back at Torment and said “It’s time, girls!” Still fighting the golems, they all respond “Right!” Their manes turned to rainbow patterns and they rose in the air. “Together!” Twilight said. A beam shot out from each of them striking Torment exactly where the energy from outside had been hitting. It screamed and said “You cannot keep me locked away forever. We. Will. Return.” Torment broke apart and burst of miasma filled the dome to the very top. The spire was still in full force barraging the shield.

Twilight looked around the barrier. She knew that it would fail any moment so she quickly cast a large shield right up against each segment reinforcing its strength from the barrage of miasma and energy form the spire. The six spirits were slowly forced one by one back into the spires origin. Once the last one was sealed in Twilight landed, her wings and main returned to normal. She peered through the remaining miasma. A calm filled the inside of the dome and the outside shield fell while Twilight's reinforcement remained.

Outside, the groups gathered around Celestia who had landed just outside the force field. Discord, Luna, Cadence, Tempest, and Thorax made their way next to her, as well as Trixie, Starlight, Sunburst, Zecora, Skystar, and Shining Armor. They all peered inside Twilight's shield and watched as the miasma dissipated. When it was at safe levels the barrier came down and Twilight walked out towards Celestia and gave her an exhausted smile.

Twilight's smiled quickly vanished when she saw the expressions on the faces of those around her. The group was silent, some turned away and others lowered their heads. Twilight looked up at Celestia. “Celestia?” she asked. “I’m so sorry Twilight.” She replied with tears welling up. Twilight looked at Discord who was starring past her. She followed his gaze and immediately her eyes widened. She saw her friends standing there, turned to stone, they fought off remaining golems as the miasma slowly turned them. The shields on her friends fell when she cast the reinforcement barrier and the magic from the Elements of Harmony couldn't protect them when it wore off.

“No.” Twilight gasped. She darted to Rarity and cast a spell to reverse the effects of the curse. Rarity's status did not change and Twilight's eyes started to tear up. Twilight dashed to Apple Jack and tried again, then to Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, and Pinkie Pie. Each new attempt and subsequent failure more tears fell from Twilight's face. Luna rushed over as did Celestia and tried to pull her away. She fought a cried as she was taken away from her friends. She struggled, still casting spells from a distance.

A large flash burst in front of Twilight and she fell limp in Celestia and Lunas grasp. They looked up and saw Starlight Glimmer standing beside them. “I... I did it for her.” She said, as tears poured from her face as well. Though Starlight did cast her spell to knock out Twilight, she could not bear to see her mentor, her friend, in such pain. Discord drifted over to Flutter Shy and clutched a chain in his hands.

Celestia and Luna took Twilight to Shining armor and Cadence. The two took Twilight from the princesses and carried her off. Princess Celestia and Luna organized everyone and sent them home with the respective leaders. Tempest, Starlight, Trixie, Sunburst, Prince Rutherford, Ember, and the old heroes gathered Twilight's friends and carried them away. Zecora remained behind with a small group of mixed creatures. They would become the new guardians of the ancient burial grounds. They would look over and protect the six chests as they continue to seal and hold back the dark spirits.

Twilight woke up in the castle in Canterlot. It had been several days before Starlight's spell wore off. She rolled out of bed and she felt aches course through her body. She tried to teleport to the throne room but was far too weak. Her wings also couldn’t carry her so she made her way to Celestia as fast as she could by hoof. She pushes the doors to the throne room open and sees only Celestia and Luna talking. They both are shocked to see her. “What happened?” Twilight said before they could greet her.

“The spirits are banished and the seal will hold for many thousands of years.” Luna said.

“That’s not what I meant.” Twilight said.

“Twilight, you should get some rest.” Princess Celestia responded.

“What happened to my friends, where are they.” She snapped as her eyes started filling with tears.

Celestia and Luna looked at each other before Celestia said “Twilight, they are …..” Celestia paused. Twilight's eyes dropped to the floor and tears fell to the ground.

“Where are they?” she wept.

“We brought them to a special vault.” Luna replied.

“Take me to them.” Twilight said.

“I don’t think that’s a good idea Twilight.” Celestia cautioned.

“Please.” She whimpered.

Celestia and Luna reluctantly agreed and they escort her to the vault. Celestia unlocks the doors and they slowly open. As Twilight looks ahead she can see her friends in the distance but before she could even take a step, she breaks into tears and starts breathing heavily. “Twilight? Look at me Twilight.” Celestia says. Twilight's vision begins to blur and Celestia's voices began to muffle. Twilight falls to the ground and passes out.

Twilight wakes up another few days later but this time she’s in her room in her castle. Starlight and Spike had been taking care of her while she was out. Twilight gets up out of bed and walks to the map room. She sits in her chair, lays her head on the table, and glances at the empty chair next to her. Starlight walks in and says “Oh, Twilight you’re awake.”

Twilight and Starlight Glimmer start talking about what happened and Twilight manages to get through the worst details about her friends. After a few hours Starlight asks “Do you think you can eat something? You’ve been out of it for a long time.”

“No, I’m fine” Twilight responds. Her stomach disagreed and grumbled. “Well maybe something small.” She said with a soft smile.

They walked to the dining room where Spike was making some food. He looks over and says, “Twilight!” Spike ran over and held on tight. “Spike.” She said softly. “I made some delicious hey fries for you. Just the way you like them.” He said choking back tears. “Thank you Spike.” She said in kind.

Over many moons ,Twilight would struggle over the loss of her friends but Luna, Celestia and Cadence console her. As time goes on Celestia feels Twilight can handle some of her tasks she had been saving until her recovery. She tells Twilight that the initial pulse of dark energy that started the chaos was caused by one of the dark spirits that broke out of the chest. She continues to say that this spirit is called Reaper and he’s been terrorizing Equestria and beyond.

Many moons go by after that conversation and Luna and Celestia finally track down Reaper. Celestia tells Twilight that before she goes she has something important to discuss with her. She calls Twilight into the throne room to talk about her role in Equestria while Celestia and Luna are away. Twilight asks to see her friends one last time and Celestia gives her the magic to open the vault. The two walk to the vault and Celestia says “I cannot accompany you any further. Luna is waiting for me and I mustn’t be late. Take care Twilight.”

Twilight never opens the vault and Celestia and Luna prepare for the excursion. Cherry Tune and Moonlet strap the Princesses satchels and scabbards over their robes and the two princesses chase Reaper across Equestria for one last encounter at an ancient castle.

As time goes by not many of Discords friends notice his pain as he usually acts his normal self when he is with them. They pay more attention to Twilight whose mourning showed for years. Even when he reached out to Twilight by trying to cheer her up with his usual antics she would smile say "Thank you for trying" and brush off the gesture. He was less hurt by her brushing off his attempts to cheer her up and more upset that she barely even noticed him or asked how he might feel about all this. Discord feels the loss of Flutter Shy quite painfully and goes into a reclusive state while the months go by and he was not heard from in over a year.

Eventually he returns to Equestria and starts turning the world on its head. Realizing that not only can Twilight do nothing to stop him without the elements, his closest friend is gone and he feels there is no point in keeping a promise to his lost friend. And while Luna and Celestia are gone he takes advantage of the absence of the elements of harmony. He starts to revert to his old chaotic ways wreaking havoc on the residence of Equestria. Twilight was under a lot of pressure and feels the burden of the chaos as she rules Equestria and without the elements she doesn't know if she can defeat Discord. Her first thought is to reconcile with him and try to use her friendship over the years to calm him.

One fateful evening Discord finally shows himself to Twilight by appearing in her room as she goes over some scrolls on her desk. She turned quickly to face him with a concerned but resolute stair. He discusses her surrender and she remains silent and listens. When he was done, she calmly explains their friendship can see them through this rough time. While doing so he terrorizes Spike and starts messing with her room. Chairs, books, bedding, stationary, all manners of objects fly across the room landing anywhere. With great resolve she continues to appeal to his friendship saying, "Discord, we both fought Torment and despite how I snapped at you back then we did grow closer. Please don't do this, Flutter Shy wouldn't--"

Discord growled, "Don't you dare tell me what Flutter Shy would or wouldn't want. She's gone and nothing will bring her back."

"No I can't but that doesn't mean we can't --" Twilight started saying before being cut off again.

"WE? Twilight I came to you over a year ago many times and not once did you ask if I needed help, if I needed a friend. Yes I also came to see you were doing, tried to cheer you up. But nothing worked and the more you brushed it off, the less I felt your friend but only some you knew because of Flutter Shy."

"Discord I... I'm sorry. I promise I'll--" Twilight said before once again being cut off.

"Promise? Promise what? It doesn't matter. I've made a promise before and now that she's gone I don't have hold myself back any more!" Discord said. "Now witness Princess Twilight the return of Choas!" He continued.

Discord began turned the room upside down, Spike had been dodging flying objects. Discord sees Spike starting to fly towards Twilight and instantly turns him to stone. Twilight shouts "Turn him back!"

"No more orders princess and there's nothing you can do to stop me! Discord said casting the spell on Twilight. Being greatly attuned to magic she cast a shield to undo the stone on her and Spike. Twilight realized she can turn his spell against him with out the elements and she fires back hitting him dead center.

As he slowly turns to stone he looks at his body, sighs, then smiles. He then turns to Twilight, and says in a calm tone "Thank you Twilight." as a single tear fell from his face. It glimmered in the sunlight coming through the window and a glint of light sparkled from Discords now stone hands which were cupped together. He held a locket with a picture of him and Flutter Shy at the last tea party he and Fluttershy had before Torment

Twilight walked over still angry, confused, and overwhelmed by what happened. She glanced at the picture, then looked up at Discords stone face. He appeared at ease, as if he wanted to be stone. "He did this on purpose." She spoke softly while lowering her head. Tears welled up as her back legs collapsed to the floor. "Oh Discord, how did I not see your pain." she muttered choking back tears. "I had Celestia and Luna, Cadence and Shining Armor. You...you had nobody. I didn't even think to be there for you." She continued still holding back the tears. She slowly looked up his face one last time and upon seeing his peaceful expression, the flood of tears she kept at bay suddenly broke free. As tears dropped on the objects thrown about from Discords tirade, Twilight spoke softly "I'm so sorry… my friend."

End Chapter