• Published 15th May 2018
  • 431 Views, 7 Comments

Crystal Book - CherryTune



Discord finds a very ancient book made of crystal whle searching for something else. After interacting with it he knows Twilight Sparkle will want to see it.

  • ...
2
 7
 431

Ch 1. Ancient Discovery

Prologue

Long ago before King Sombra ruled, he came across a magical crystal book that showed him a future. From his rise to power and banishment, to his return and his inevitable defeat shortly after. He scoffed at the notions of the errors in his ways and ignored the warnings that led him to his future. From that first viewing to the many that followed. He began to fear and hate the destiny foretold. He took actions against the predictions but each action taken, only changed his destiny into a darker and hated one. Since his return and subsequent vanquish, the book remained hidden until one day a mischievous being accidentally stumbled upon it.

Chapter One
Ancient Discovery

A flash of light lit up as Discord blinks into the room. The walls were made of crystal and the door behind him seemed locked and would not budge. In the room, a crystal alter sits along the back wall with crystalline trinkets laid about. One such trinket, a book, laid in the middle of the alter. Walking over to the alter Discord ponders to himself aloud “Hmm I can’t seem to remember where I left it.” Just then the book catches his eye and he thinks to himself “This is curious. I might not have even cared about a book if it weren’t for Twilight.” He opens the book and notices he can’t understand most of what’s in it. “Inscriptions from a distant past or perhaps a magical spell to distort the text I imagine.” he says.

He continues to flip through the pages until he reaches the end. Suddenly he notices some words and then phrases he can discern. As he reads out loud the text looked as though it shimmered.

Now your masters are gone, your power set free
What do find when you return to me
After all that you do and all that you see
When you've had all your fun, who will you be?

Discord says “Well that doesn’t make any s--“ when suddenly the book flashes and Discord is left in a trance for mere moments. As he regains his awareness he mutters “Thank you Twilight.” As a single tear drops from his face onto the books edge. Blinking, he remarks “Well that was strange. And so real. Twilight definitely needs to take a look at this.” He grabs the book and in a flash leaves the room.

Twilight leans on her desk enjoying the readings of a romantic novel. A stack of unread books rest next to her and birds can be heard chirping in the mid-day sun. A cool breeze gently flows into the window allowing the drapes to sway. As Twilight's horn glows to change the page a quick flash emanates from behind her. Discord appeared standing playfully behind her. Twilight sighed and her face went glower as she asked “What do you want Discord?”

“What? Is it so strange that I would want to stop by and say hi to my old pal Princess Twilight?” He retorted
“Yes!” she quipped while turning to face him.

“Well excuse me for wanting to give a gift to my dear friend” he replied, seemingly annoyed.

“That’s even weirder!” she mocked as she turned back to her readings.

“Well I guess I’ll just take this fascinating ancient book back to the Crystal Empire where I found it.”
Discord says with a smirk as he and the book flash away. Twilight growls and continues to read her novel for a few moments. Her curiosity peaked, she responds, “Discord.”

Not but a moment later the crystal book flashed in front of her landing on her desk with a thud. Discords voice rang out. “The last page is quite curious indeed. Have fun princess!” he exclaimed. Twilight looked at the book. Puzzled by where it was found, the crystalline structure, the strange symbols on the cover, presumably a title, and not to mention a "gift" from Discord. She'd have scoffed at the idea if she hadn't been so mesmerized by the aura it gave. She opened the cover and beautiful symbols appeared to glow. None of which she could read nor did she recognize their origin or language. As she continued through the pages the symbols would change in style and both in shape and grammatical structure. Some read from left to right, or right to left, others from top to bottom. Clearly this book contained the languages to many ancient cultures she thought to herself. She recalled Discord mentioning the last page and she turned to it.

Unexpectedly, while she gazed upon the text glimmering with magical auras, the characters became recognizable. She began to read the phrases and the gleam followed her recital.

You make a choice, what's right or what's dear.
When you give it all up, you'll have nothing to fear.
With only memories left, your destiny clear.
What changes in you, when you finally return here?

Suddenly a bright flash engulfed Twilight and as was gone just as fast as it appeared. Twilight took a step back off her chair, wiped the tears from her eyes, and had a quick look around. Nothing in her room was missing, nor anything out of place, and no immediate signs that anything happened other than the light. She peered down at the book but it was gone. She thought to herself clearly this is a prank by Discord, but before she could even call his name he blinked into the room face to face with an excited and anticipating look.

"Well, what happened?" he asked.

"What do you think happened?" she replied obviously annoyed. "Nothing but a flash of light," she continued.
Discord looked puzzled and said "Hmm well then perhaps I was mistaken. Or perhaps in time we'll see."

"What did you do?" She asked.

"Not what I did. But what you did." he said confidently. "Or maybe it doesn't work on Alicorn Princesses." he continued while throwing his arm over Twilight and booping her nose. "At any rate I am late for a tea party with Flutter Shy. It's always a pleasure Twilight, ta!" he retorted. And in an instant he was gone.

Twilight let out a sigh, walked to her desk unsure as to what game Discord was playing. She sat down and tried to continue her novel. Yet her mind was still focused on the crystal book, wondering where it had gone and what the inscriptions meant. She recalled Starswirl's old book which had an incomplete spell and wondered if this verse was similar to that spell. She shuttered at the thought of it. Remembering the trouble she put her friends through. She gave one more look around, let out a big sigh and began reading the rest of her mare romance.

A couple of hours and many chapters go by when suddenly Spike barges in her room panting and waving a scroll in the air. "An urgent—“ he gasped, “letter from Celestia!" he exclaimed.
"An urgent letter?" she questioned.
"She is calling a meeting of the princesses. Cadence is already on her way and will be there in the morning," he replied. She grabbed the letter and read what was inscribed.

“Dear Princess Twilight, an urgent matter has been brought to my attention. I need you here early tomorrow morning. Cadence has also been informed and will arrive by sunrise tomorrow.”

"Alright Spike let’s get packing." she says enthusiastically.

End chapter