• Published 5th May 2018
  • 12,131 Views, 203 Comments

Alternate Beginnings: Year One - Doug Graves



Seven years before the events of MLP:FiM, a human appears in Equestria, meeting Applejack and other ponies of Ponyville.

  • ...
28
 203
 12,131

11 Request*

March 4th, 993

Applejack hums a tune to herself as she drags her cart, laden with product, towards the marketplace. It is still early in the morning, and she isn’t feeling the effects of her heat at all. She had woken up yesterday with thoughts of Doug racing through her mind, and he had been more than happy to help her out. It had been bad, nearly enough to make her want to go to one of her friends and get help with a cooler, but that doesn’t last more than a few hours and one can still feel the effects, even if they are subdued. Even so, that is still a lot better than the medication that is available, which makes her feel groggy and more prone to injuring herself or somepony else while working.

She doesn’t particularly want to chance having a foal at this time, the attempt of which being the more permanent method of getting rid of a heat. Doug had asked about that before they had begun; he is sure that humans normally can’t impregnate other species, even the apes and monkeys he is distantly related to, and there is absolutely no chance of him getting a pony pregnant. But, as he was quick to admit, he has no clue if magic makes things work differently here.

Come to think of it, Applejack isn’t sure how magic works with him, either. She isn’t sure who to ask, or where in the town library she would start hunting down that kind of information. Maybe she should have had Doug look into it, he likes researching and finding out things, but it is a little late for that now. Lately, he has been thinking about a different style of wagon covering that she can use, one that will provide a little more shade at the market. She told him to work on that after his workout with Rainbow. He deserved a break from hard labor after this morning, she chuckles to herself.

Applejack pulls up to her stall and begins moving baskets to locations more accessible for her coming customers. Rarity is one of them, walking up and grabbing two apples while levitating over two bit pieces. Applejack beams a smile at her friend, “Nice to see you here bright and early. Beautiful day, ain’t it?”

Rarity gives her a slight frown, trying to turn it to a smile. “Yes, it sure is a nice day. Rainbow must have been up early to clear away the fog. Somepony, or should I say, someone must be a good influence on her.”

“Oh, Ah don’t know nothing about that, you should see the antics the two of them get into back at the farm. At least Doug doesn’t care for cider, or who knows where Ah would have to drag them back from.”

“He doesn’t? That has to be the one thing about you he doesn’t like then.” Rarity smiles at Applejack, who gives a small blush as she helps another customer. “Well, speak of Nightmare.”

Applejack looks at Rarity, then turns her head to see Rainbow flying over the crowd of morning ponies. Her normally wind-swept mane looks particularly unkempt, and her eyes are bloodshot. She flutters down, landing next to Rarity, and drops a bit onto the table. “An apple and a half glass of cider, quick, please.”

Applejack turns back, grabbing one of the bottles of cider she has stashed in the back. “Sorry it ain’t the good stuff you’re used to Rainbow, still a couple weeks before we’ll be able to restock. Also, ain’t it a little early to start drinking?”

Rainbow grabs the half full glass, downing it before grabbing the apple and chewing loudly. “I know, I know, I just needed that so badly. My heat has been killing me for a week now, I don’t know how much longer I can hold out. Rarity, you don’t mind helping again, do you?”

“Of course not Rainbow, I was about to ask Applejack to assist with a cooler myself, though I was waiting until the foals had at least moved further away from the stand.” Rarity responds, looking at a nearby mare who is leading a small pack of foals. Applejack smiles at the mare while pouring Rainbow a quarter glass of cider before putting the bottle away.

Rainbow responds with a slight frown on her face, “Oh. Right.”

“I don’t suppose you know of Theodore Kerabatsos?” Rarity's eyes start to brighten as she looks at Rainbow.

Rainbow gives Rarity a blank look as Applejack interjects, “That one of them fancy ponies you always hoping to get a commission from?”

“Well, a lady would never show how excited she is when a certain fashion pony deigns to notice her latest design, but yes! Yes!” Rarity gives an excited, if subdued, squeal before resuming her normal posture.

“Donny,” - Rainbow gives Rarity an unamused look, which Rarity ignores - “will be coming over to the boutique after lunch, and he certainly would not appreciate me, ahem, being too forward with him. I cannot permit any distractions from exhibiting my wares, I mean, my latest fashion line to him. Oh, I’m so heated right now, I can’t stand it! Applejack, how are you holding up? You don’t seem fazed at all.”

“Well, Ah do have Doug helping me, you know, with the urges. Ah’ll admit, he’s quenched the heat better than any cooler Ah’ve heard of before. Barely even felt the urges this morning, but Ah think he appreciated me using him anyway. Well, not using, he’s more than that to me, but… where was Ah going again?”

Rarity raises an eyebrow, "Really? But, I thought you weren't looking to have a foal just yet. Did something change?"

Applejack shakes her head, "Ah still ain't." Her gaze lowers, a slightly downcast, "We ain't sure if it will work between us, without needing some sort of assistance, ya know?" She sighs, "He don't think so, But, regardless, he's been great so far, helping out with everything." Applejack coughs, looking around at the ponies coming up to her stall, saying in a low voice, "Was there something, um, else you wanted?"

Rainbow gives Applejack a sarcastic smile, “I think you were about to, I dunno, offer the use of your tool to Rarity. Although,” - Rainbow’s expression turns submissive, almost pleading - “Applejack? Bestest, favorite friend in the whole world, I have a teensy, tiny favor. You wouldn’t even have to do anything, just hear me out.”

“Rainbow, if it’s okay with Doug, it’s okay with me. Ah know how you two are.”

“Applejack, I’m begging you, please, just-” Rainbow stops as she realizes what Applejack said. Her expression seems to brighten, already looking a little better, as she finishes the remainder of her cider. She takes a large bite of one of the apples, looking at her hoof, before dropping another two bit pieces on the counter and taking two more apples. She flies up, giving Applejack a quick peck on the cheek. Applejack returns the kiss, waving to her as she lifts into the air. Rainbow waves to Rarity, flying off towards Sweet Apple Acres.

Applejack smiles and shakes her head, looking over at Rarity who looks back at her with a questioning expression on her face. Rarity asks, “Aren't you worried about the two of them? I mean, I hear most stallions always seem to be in the mood for a quickie, but Doug doesn’t seem like that, at least when he was interacting with me. He barely returned any of my banter, but didn’t have any trouble styling whatever silly thing I put him in.”

Applejack gives Rarity a short glare before turning to the next customer with a smile. Rarity continues, “Although, if you think that he would be okay with it… you said you haven’t felt the effects at all so far? I must admit, it is certainly an intriguing idea,” Rarity stammers, dancing nervously on her hooves, “I hate the idea of just, ugh, studding him out. Though if he is alright with it...“

Applejack moves over to Rarity, giving her a quick kiss on the cheek. “Well, if you want to get back to work before ole ‘Donny’ gets here you might want to hurry, before Rainbow tires him out too much. Though how you’ll convince her to wait until later Ah have no idea. You know how she is, she'll probably see it like a competition, who Doug would rather take first.” She frowns at the thought, spitting at the ground and grinding her hoof.

“Well then, I must bid you adieu. Take care darling, we’ll see each other soon!” Rarity gives Applejack a quick kiss before walking towards Sweet Apple Acres. Her attempt at appearing unhurried quickly disappears as she makes her way to the edge of the town. Applejack shakes her head, going back to her stores and placing more apples into the baskets for sale. She hopes things work out between Doug and her friends; he can be a little… voracious with only her around. But if that is how he wants things, well, there are worse fates.