• Published 15th May 2018
  • 350 Views, 0 Comments

The Truth Will Set You Free...at a Cost - Clean Karma



Spike the Dragon, has to ask a question he wished never to ask: "Was it foul play?"

  • ...
 0
 350

Part 1 Chapter 1

Dear Princess Celestia

Hey there, it's me Spike. Sorry if you're busy or anything, I just wanted to make up for some lost time. I really should have written sooner. I understand that. I've been very neglectant in my duties haven't I? So how's your day been? Good? Bad? Glad to hear it...or sorry to hear it, depending on your answer.

Me? I'm doing okay I guess, I've grown, just took a ten year nap as you probably know. I feel like I stepped through one of the those time portals from the old experiments. It's weird seeing all the modern stuff we have now. I mean seriously, video games? cars? Where has this stuff been all my life? Guns are pretty cool too I guess, although I for one would still prefer a classic sword or crossbow.

It's been five days since I woke up, and you'll never guess what I did, I've rejoined the MYPD. I had to retake a few of the tests, but my previous work there gave me some privileges. I totally nailed the Physical Fitness part of it. Those lightweights never saw me coming. Test was a bit harder for...reasons.

Look, I'm not just writing to say hello. I wanted to tell you something important. I'm sorry for opening up old wounds but it's about Twilight. I want to go to the place she died at, I remembered something important. The way the report states it (don't ask me how I got it) she fell from the top balcony of the tree. It says that she simply forgot to teleport or save herself some other way, but thinking back to it...she would have had at least 3-4 seconds before she hit the ground. I've seen her react to things much quicker. It also says that her horn broke upon impact. What I see wrong is in the photos, there are no shards from bits of horn. It had to have been broken before she fell.

I'm afraid of the question, and even more afraid of the answer.

Was it foul play?

Sincerely
Spike the Dragon

Spike ran the question through his head several times, as he blew the paper away. His green flames licking the sides of his lips with practiced ease and familiarity. His thoughts still swarmed like honey bees over the possibilities. If Twilight was murdered, who would even want to kill her? He thought about it curiously. He didn't have a chance to think about it for very long however.

"So partner, you excited? This is our first stake out together in like...like twenty years! Eeeee, I'm just ecstatic!" Spike winced at the loud squeal that emitted from his partner.

"Ya know, the whole idea of a stake out is to not get noticed, Shade." Dark Shades, the thestral, beside him merely smiled back, her ivory fangs glistening in the moonlight. "And it was ten years."

"Oh shush. You know very well, if I wanted someone to notice me, they'd notice me." She sat back in her seat and stirred a drink in her hooves. Likely coffee with alcohol or some such of the crap she usual had. Her wings, dark flaps of purple, folded to her sides.

Spike smiled, "Like they did last night?" receiving a hoof to the shoulder, he observed Shade. He wondered how he ended up in a situation where his best and possibly only real friend happened to be a thestral. Oh yeah, friends and family dying and all that.

"I was drunk as buck, and you know it Spike."

"Heh, yeah. Sure." another blow and Spike began rubbing his arm. She could hit pretty hard for a mare.

"We've got movement." Spike dragged his attention out the window seeing shadows creep around the windows of the house they sat by. the house was mostly obscured from his view due to the darkness, but one solitary window was visible due to the light shining from inside. From what he could see, a pony was moving around, doing...whatever he or she was doing.

"Can you see wh--"

"Mare, well built for a unicorn, bad ankles for whatever reason. She seems nervous." Shades interrupted, still staring at the glowing window. Spike chuckled.

"I forgot how good you were."

"How good I am. And don't you go making forgetfulness a habit of yours." as the thestral looked back out the window she squinted slightly, the slits in her eyes becoming a bit wider to collect the light particles. "hey, Spike? Can you hand me the file on the mare we're after real quick?" He did so, and she flipped to the picture they had on the mare. Several seconds past until uncommon surprise appeared on her face. "Oh shit, that mare in the window isn't ours."

The two jumped out of the car and sprinted to the door. Spike pulled out his hand gun, and pounded on the door, "This is the Manehattan MYPD! Open the door or--" a scream from inside interrupted him. He stood back and nodded for Shades to go around to the back door. With one kick the door flew off it's hinges. He ran down the hallway, catching a glimpse of a figure running upstairs. "Police! Put your hooves in the air!" A shot of magic struck him dead in the chest. Luckily it merely burned a little, no serious damage, but he still needed to catch his breath.

He felt a burning in his claw and looked at his gun. The spell charred it, rendering it unusable. "Damn it." Spike threw it down, got up, and took off running up the stairs. He heard the door shut to one of the rooms and ran towards it. At top speed he rammed his entire body into the door shattering it. Looking towards the far side of the bedroom he saw the unicorn mare standing over the mare they were sent to protect, a knife in her magic. Spike had to think fast.


"You idiotic slab of meat!" the room shook violently, "You used unauthorized dragon fire?!"

Spike tried his best not to flinch, but the Broken Pieces voice wasn't exactly normal by most ponies standards. Dark Shades didn't fare much better from the sound. Bat hearing and all. "My gun wasn't an option. By the way I'll need a new one."

"Shut up! I don't want to hear it! What you did was dangerous and stu--"

"Sir, with all due respect, me and my partner saved that mare. The mare I burned isn't dead, far from it. She's even confessed to the crime."

Broken Pieces seemed unamused, "Let me finish. What you did was dangerous and stupid but..." he smiled slightly, "You did good. You and Shade did save the mare, and caused...well...minimum damage. You even caught one of those cultist members in the process."

"Thank you Chief."

"But DON'T let it happen again!" Broken slammed a hoof on his desk to emphasize his seriousness.

Dark Shades jumped into the conversation, "We understand sir. Can we go now? There's this new shop just around the corner, and I am dying for a new dress."

Broken Pieces smiled, which led to chuckling, or at least his version of chuckling, "Eh, fine with me, but before you leave, I have a bit of a surprise for you both. Don't worry it's not paperwork, I'll let you sort through that mountain tomorrow." He reached behind his desk and pulled out two small black boxes.

"Are those what I think they are?" Spike was stunned, as was Shade.

"Yes siree bob. I pulled a couple of strings (well, with the help of a few princess level letters). Didn't think I'd read about you two or something? I visit the library too ya know." He placed the two badges before them. Shades grabbed hers as quickly as possible.

"Yes! I can finally start wearing normal clothes again. These new uniforms are way itchier than the ones we used to wear."

Spike continued to stare at the badge as he picked it up slowly, almost as though he feared it would disappear from his grasp. He rubbed a claw over the engraving with his name on it. He remembered the day he got it. Chief Fly Hard had given it to him. Another reminder of the ponies he'd lost throughout his lifetime.

This isn't the time to be thinking about that right now he pulled the badge out and the stainless steel chain dangled below. Putting it around his neck he felt a swell of pride. He had earned this, he wasn't born into it, like he had been into his dragon heritage. He earned it through hard work and determination. Though she wouldn't say it, Spike could tell that Shade was especially proud of hers too.

His smile wavered slightly as another though ran through his mind This will help me find the truth about Twilight.