• Published 23rd Apr 2018
  • 456 Views, 2 Comments

The Element of Concord - Loyal Defender



Loyal thought his life was officially set after returning from CHS. Boy, was he never more wrong.

  • ...
 2
 456

Frisk

The sun dawned onto the sleepy town of Ponyville. Ponies rubbed their eyes, some ready for their morning routine, others moaning and hiding under their comfortable blankets to go back to sleep and quickly sleeping peacefully.

Loyal was already up early. He had planned plenty for today. He would firstly get his morning drink at Sugarcube Corner. Pinkie would likely be up already. It was usually on Tuesdays and Thursdays she'd be up. Today was Tuesday. Loyal was already dressed and everything. He started down the hallway and down the stairs, still half asleep. As a result, he nearly tripped.

Loyal made it down to the foyer and opened the front door. He was greeted by a beautiful orange sun rising over the town.

He let out a big yawn, and continued down the steps. He'd hoped he wouldn't fall asleep in the cafe again. Pinkie didn't mind it, she found it kind of cute, and also kind of hilarious, but it would be awkward to wake up to a pony staring at him, wondering if he was okay.

Loyal continued to trek throughout the town, noting all of the shops opening early. The flower shop, the local restaurant, the bowling alley. Everything was opening up.

It seemed to take a lot less time to get to Sugarcube Corner. Maybe it was because Loyal wasn't focused on anything. But eventually, he reached the shop and went inside.

Not many ponies were in the shop when he entered. But Mr and Mrs. Cake were there, as was Pinkie. Loyal sleepily but consciously walked up to the counter, took out four bits, and placed them on the counter. "I'll take two Morning Mugs, please." I said to Pinkie. Morning Mugs were the newest thing added two weeks ago. It was essentially a coffee combined with hot chocolate into one drink. It sounds disgusting, you might think, but thanks to Pinkie, it was actually really good.

"Coming RIIIIGHT up!" Pinkie said, chipper as always.

It was always nice seeing Pinkie so cheerful in the mornings. It made me feel good, too. "I'll need the energy. I have s lot planned for today."

"Sounds fun! Here ya go!"

"Thanks, Pinkie. Always good to know I can count on ya." I said, taking the drinks. Morning Mugs really helped me out. They filled me with enough energy to get me through a fully scheduled day.

The rest of the day would be mighty busy. For one, I'd stop by the park to relax with my Morning Mugs. If needed, I would share my second one with whoever I felt needed it. After that, I'd be looking to see if any friendship problems had arisen. And if not, I'd arrange a meeting to discuss how to find Diamond.

"Have a good morning, all!"

Everyone turned to regard Loyal with a sleepy smile. As tired as they were, it was tough to be grumpy in the morning in Ponyville.

"Thanks, Pinkie. Always good to know I can count on ya." I said, taking the drinks. Morning Mugs really helped me out. They filled me with enough energy to get me through a fully scheduled day.

The rest of the day would be mighty busy. For one, I'd stop by the park to relax with my Morning Mugs. If needed, I would share my second one with whoever I felt needed it. After that, I'd be looking to see if any friendship problems had arisen. And if not, I'd arrange a meeting to discuss how to find Diamond.

I started to head out, until I accidentally bumped into a female pony wearing a striped sweater, almost spilling my Mugs. "Oh, sorry. That was my bad." I said to her.

The small pony shook their head. "No, no, it's my fault. I wasn't paying attention."

"You don't look like you're from here. Are you s tourist?"

"Yeah, I guess you could say I am..."

"Where are you traveling from?"

"Oh, nowhere in particular."

"Hmm. Well, my name is Loyal Defender, greatest hero to ever me known. Who might you be?"

"My name is Frisk. My friends all call me their savior."

They turned to their side. "What?" A brief moment passed. "I'm not telling him that."

I looked around he pony, but found nopony next to her. "Are you...talking to yourself?"

"What? No, I'm talking to my friend."

"Thr imaginary one? Or the one only you can see?"

"How...?"

"You're talking to thin air. In fact, what's this friend's name?"

"Their name? Chara."

Another brief moment. "I don't care if he is a human, we've been over this."

"You know what I am?"

"Well, yeah, doesn't everyone?"

"I wasn't always from here, so no. Anyways, I best be going. Maybe I'll see you again?"

"Yeah, see you." Frisk walked into Sugarcube corner, mumbling - seemingly to themselves.

With that, I headed out, a friendly smile on my face. More and more shops started opening up in the two minutes I spent in Sugarcube Corner.

Some ponies waved to me, friendly and all. They knew that when the hero of Equestria was walking the streets, there was nothing to worry about.

The park wasn't too far from the sweet shop. In fact, it was a known fact tha any hot beverage would become warm by the time you reached the park. Well, that's what happened with my Morning Mugs.

As I sat on a nearby bench, I watched as the sunlight slowly rose up to the statue in the middle of the park, creeping up into it.

Sunlight also rose onto Starlight's bed back at the castle. She was up early, too. She knew Loyal would be up at this time, and it's was one of her only opportunities to talk to him alone when he wasn't with any pony. Once she was ready, she would head out to find Loyal and tell him. That was the first thing on her mind. She brushed her mane, teeth, and made sure she looked alright before heading out and down the stairs. She wouldn't let anything else distract her.

Loyal was enjoying himself. He was watching young fillies play around, older ponies taking strolls around the area...it was nice. He closed his eyes, and let the sunlight bathe him in warmth. It was a little too comfortable, and as a result, he fell asleep on he bench. It was about five minutes before a familiar voice awoke him.

June ,

Yeah, I figured a bit more conversation between the two would be good.

"Oh, hey, it's you!"

That startled me, but woke me up. I tried acting like I hadn't let the sun put me to sleep. "Oh, hey, it's the mysterious mare! Frisk, was it?”.

"Yeah, that's me!"

"So, did Pinkie shout anything about throwing a party? She does that for new folk."

"Oh, yeah, she did, but, umm... I'm sort of a bit busy at the moment. I don't think I'd be able to make it to a party."

"Mm. That's a shame. You'd miss her using a party cannon to decorate tables in less than three seconds. But it's nice seeing you again. What exactly are tu busy with, if I may ask? Don't worry, I'm a spy." I said. "Now you know I'm not a spy because they wouldn't reveal themselves."

I had to admit, pointing out the spy thing was one way to prove you were trustworthy.

"Well...."

"Is it that you're on a quest to retrieve a magical item to harness it and protect he world from a danger that's so dangerously dangerous, it causes dangers?" Beat. "I got the hunch thing from Pinkie."

"Err.... no." They giggled. "I'm actually looking for my brother."

"Oh. Well, what does he look like?"

"He looks like-" They turned towards their right. "Yes I know it sounds insane, but I'm not going to lie, Chara."

"Anyways, he looks like... a little, yellow flower."

"....a....yellow....flower." I thought for a moment. "Well, I've seen crazier. What's his name? If I'm lucky, it might ring a bell."

I paid no mind tithe fact this pony was looking for her brother, a small yellow flower. Ponies had their interesting relationships. I wasn't gonna judge.

"Well he calls himself Flowey, but his real name..."

"Now, now. I don't need all the details. Just the vital info."

"Well, I'll be sure to let you know if I see him. But before you head off again, care for a drink?" I asked, offering her a Morning Mug. I hadn't drank either yet. "I'm sure you're tired from traveling all over. This is one of the best refreshing drinks you can try."

"Well, I guess it couldn't hurt..."

"Wonderful!" I said, giving the drink to her. "May this Mornig Mug assist you on your journey!"

"Well thank you very much, sir. I should keep looking, I don't want Flowey to hurt anyone." They sighed. "I wish he'd keep calm, but I know it's hard for him..."

"Keep calm...? Do I want to know?"

"Probably not. No, Chara, I'm not telling him what Flowey did to me."

"Well, hopefully you find him. Or someone does. And isn't maimed. That’s usually a risk."

"No worries... I don't think he'll maim anyone. Of course what do I know..."

"Mm. Well...I don't want to be too mch of a bother. As I promised, if I see him, I'll let you know."

"I appreciate the help. I promised my uncle I'd reign him in and bring him back home..."

"Well, there's no time to lose! It's best your on your way. The sooner, the better. That's what I was commonly told."

"Okay, not as commonly, but you know."

"Right!" They turned to their left. "C'mon, Chara, let's go find him."

After Frisk left, I began thinking about this Flowey character. I felt like the name rung a bell, but at the same time, it didn't. How and when did he go missing? What was the truth behind his and Frisk's relationship? Was he good or bad? There were so many questions, yet I couldn't easily provide the answers. But I knew one thing for a fact. I had to help Frisk, one way or another. I felt like I had some kind of clue to Flowey's whereabouts, but at the same time, I didn't.

There had to be some secret, clue, or answer to all of this. But for the life of me, I was unable to figure out what it was. Maybe when the right time came, I'd figure it out.